Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

Last year in July we made the announcement about us leaving our previous forum software and the reasons why we did it. This came with some drastic changes as our new destination software did not have things like BBCode (though it allowed HTML capabilities). There have been many pros and cons, one of the largest cons being the loss of BBCode functionality. We expected the pros to outweigh the cons, and on paper, they really do. However, that is not what translated into reality for us as time went by. For those of you who forgot, allow me to explain why we needed to leave our previous software after nearly a decade of using it.

The change in August was not made because we disliked the forum software (xF). Rather, we had issues with third party addons.  After using Xenforo for so long, we had many addons whose creators no longer updated them and custom work which led to layers upon layers of code weighing down on our install and database; some of the older addons didn’t even have proper uninstall functions. Since these addons didn’t work with newer versions of xF, we couldn’t update and utilize newer xF features and security that newer versions brought. We also couldn’t uninstall these addons, which were so deeply rooted into the site, without actually causing the site to crash (which it did in the past whenever we tried).  I doubt the majority of the site has forgotten those days.  Long may they remain behind us.

So that left us with something that most forum softwares have, the ability to import and export core data, completely bypassing addons and all of that hassle that was tying down the site. We picked IPS, it being one of the major competitors to xF and one of the few major brands around for paid forum platforms. With all of the issues we were experiencing, we weighed it against losing BBCode and other functionality for newer functionality and decided to move forward. The site, as usual, has continued to grow at astounding rates even despite what we consider to be a failure of a switch (its success in no small part due to our amazing userbase).

The first step, exporting, had to be done and wasn’t a mistake, and honestly neither was IPS with all the testing that we did.  It’s what came after that that became the real issue.

IPS has a fast rate of releasing updates, constantly breaking our styles and creating other issues, and making strange design decisions (like removing search technology that actually made searching useful).  Their company site has been littered with these kinds of complaints and feedback nonstop.  

This rapid release of updates and the issues that follow them has led to the platform being insanely unstable and nearly worthless to us as a site staff. Heck, this has become evident with all of the bugs that crop up, such as preventing users from posting. Our Site Questions and Information section, once a beacon of activity for people looking to ask questions and learn how to use RpN, has become a forum just to bump bug report threads.  Most of the admin tools in the back don’t work; we’ve had to do many workarounds and fixes to get even basic stuff we were able to do in the past to completely function. The staff’s ability to moderate the site shrunk considerably in response to the tools available.

I have no idea how to properly convey how many issues this board has been having without just explaining it in pure technical speak, or making videos based on all the issues we are experiencing so that you can see it visually.

Regardless, we have voiced our opinions and rather than dedicate too much time or money to fixing something that isn’t caused by addons or issues on our end, we thought it was time to begin another import/export process.

Sometime later this month (another announcement will come with the date) the site will briefly go offline and we will be back on the xF platform, but a fresh install. So basically we went xF > IPS > xF again, which is not a bad thing. We had to do that initial jump in the first place to be able to unfreeze the site from the state it was in. This means we can use the most current version of xF safely, and have an insanely faster site and all of the functionality that users have been used to, from profiles, to posting, to threads, to PMs, and BBCodes (this should magically also fix all of the styling on old posts that still have the coding for bbcodes, so bonus!) and more will return.  We will also keep things we learned and did while on IPS, like the Color Me and Night Lyfe themes, but without all the crashing and bugs that is being caused by the current software.

So with that being said, here’s a few things that are going to take effect before the move:

• HTML Beta is over. No more HTML. (While old BBCode posts will magically fix themselves in the switch to the new xF, newer HTML posts will most likely break.)

• Creation of new HPs will be disabled for a while as we get ready for the transition.

• Creation of new Blogs is disabled as they will not be able to make the switch.

We will have a final announcement in the days before we bring the site down for the switch.  As before, no PMs, accounts, or threads/posts will get lost (URLs might change, but I’ll try to make sure they don’t this time if that's an option). Not completely sure about followers, but we will try. If we can’t preserve followers again, I’ll make sure to put it in the final announcement when we have a date and such, so users can save the names of people they are followed by or want to follow, and anything else they need from the follower system.

Blogs will not be making the transition, so please start saving anything you want to keep from there.

As usual, if you have any questions/feedback/concerns, please post below.

Please see if your question is answered here first before asking on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will all the roleplays that are currently hosted projects remain as hosted projects when the switch has been completed? 

Most will.

If we find that some one has been using the HP system to house just one thread for example, we will politely send them back to the regular thread system. Going to also take this time to archive ones that have gone inactive ages ago.

Most will.

If we find that some one has been using the HP system to house just one thread for example, we will politely send them back to the regular thread system. Going to also take this time to archive ones that have gone inactive ages ago.

Will the process of starting new HPs go back to an application process like the way it was before we switched to this new version? 

Will the process of adding new forums, prefixes and GMs to HPs once again be something only admins are able to do and if so, will a communication system be set up so that people who run HPs are able to make these requests easily be set up? 

Apologies for having a lot of questions. I had two HPs on the old system so I'm curious to know if it will be the same or different than it was. 

Will the process of starting new HPs go back to an application process like the way it was before we switched to this new version? 

Will the process of adding new forums, prefixes and GMs to HPs once again be something only admins are able to do and if so, will a communication system be set up so that people who run HPs are able to make these requests easily be set up? 

Apologies for having a lot of questions. I had two HPs on the old system so I'm curious to know if it will be the same or different than it was. 

Undecided.

xF does have a nearly identical addon to the one we use here on IPS for HPs.

If we revert to an old system like that, we lose all the nifty features that this one uses, we'd have to make a superior system of communication, which isn't the worst thing in the world. If we go with something like now, it just gets spammed and misused, its a massive waste of site resources. Maybe have the fancy functionality but also have some form of application to have the best of both worlds. 

Regardless, we will always minimally honor HPs with forums and stuff with the support of the staff for prefixes and all that stuff. This is something that I'm personally fond of and its my favorite way of RPing, so HPs are not going anywhere :P!

One more question... sorry.

Will we lose line breaks again? Is that something that can be known?

Hmm, I'll let you know by the final announcement date. I'm currently doing a test export/import as we speak to see what it keeps and does not.

I'm happy with all of this, as long as I don't lose my CS that I have saved in my workshop

I like hammers ^D^

"When you have a hammer, everyone else is a nail" ~ Reinhardt, Overwatch

(Yes, I main this German crusader knight if someone takes D.Va)

What does this mean for people brought up on IPS? New, possibly outdated, coding format to learn; different HP format, and what else? I want to keep HP's I've made as hosted projects, not threads.

so.. BBCode will be coming back?

Yeah.

What does this mean for people brought up on IPS? New, possibly outdated, coding format to learn; different HP format, and what else?

That is about it....

For the most part, newer versions of xF, are superior to IPS, we just couldn't get there previously and xF2 is actually right around the corner, to be released some thing late 2017 or early 2018. Though that doesn't require this entire switching process, that would just be a simple update at that point. Needless, I ramble to much. Minus the coding change and me releasing a new style (going with google material design this time!), nothing is changing for 99 percent of the user base besides waiting for some downtime to pass.

different HP format

The HP format actually isn't much different on the xenoforo version if I remember correctly. I ran two HPs even on the old version before we moved to this and I found that there was more I could do in the old version. I could determine what order threads appeared in more easily and I could shrink hidden posts without having to see them all the time as a GM. I had the option of seeing them, but they weren't forced on me. I actually think the old format makes it easier as a GM. 

My opinion... 

Does this mean we will have to transfer forums once again? or will they be all in order as usual and no digging of sorts.

Especially with Hosted Projects, will they require digging or will they be altogether?

(I may just be blind and didn't catch it or understand it in the main post haha)

What does this mean for people brought up on IPS? New, possibly outdated, coding format to learn; different HP format, and what else? I want to keep HP's I've made as hosted projects, not threads.

No more HTML.  BBcode is simpler but not terribly difficult to learn (if you can HTML, you can BBcode), and we'll have cheatsheets up as soon after the update as possible.

HPs should remain as HPs, aside from those that really don't need to be (if you have only one thread, you don't need the resources of an HP).

No more HTML.  BBcode is simpler but not terribly difficult to learn (if you can HTML, you can BBcode), and we'll have cheatsheets up as soon after the update as possible.

HPs should remain as HPs, aside from those that really don't need to be (if you have only one thread, you don't need the resources of an HP).

Define "one thread."

Does this mean we will have to transfer forums once again? or will they be all in order as usual and no digging of sorts.

Especially with Hosted Projects, will they require digging or will they be altogether?

(I may just be blind and didn't catch it or understand it in the main post haha)

Minus some visual changes and stuff, everything should be just fine and business as usual after the switch.

Every thing was fine when we did the switch to IPS until we realized that all the URLs people had bookmarked in their browsers, had swittched since it was a different software, though this time, I believe I can make old IPS links, redirect to new ones if xF changes them up.

No data loss should be happening apart from blogs.

will there be a replacement for blogs?

And will the return keep status the way it is, or will there be changes to how it was before?

In addition, will rep be lost as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back