News Back to Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
@The Dark Wizard I'm curious, have you ever considered getting a legit coder to do site work and custom add-ons? I feel like you might actually have a chance to find one on the site already that could do the work with the massive user base we have. I personally wouldn't mind donating towards the payment for one to custom make us some bomb ass add-ons, I feel like it would be a worthwhile tradeoff. 

This. This is going to be awesome to go back to XF.

Mostly because the new site doesn't work too well on my laptop. Idfk why.

Will I still be able to find my hosted project after the switch? The previous switch had me unable to even search for a project I was working on with friends and I had to dig into my own profile page just to find a jumbled up broken mess that didn't resemble what it was before at all. I'd really like the transition to be smoother than the last one, because the previous switch was a complete disaster.

We will do our best.  Probably they will be in a separate section, the way they are now, so hopefully you'll just need to look within that section and they should all be together there.

Honestly? I'm kind of excited to go back to the switch. I had been fairly well aquainted with bbcoding at the time of the switch, and the change kind of blind sided me, because I wasn't that well versed in all things HTML and what-not. It'll be a fun time going back to xF, as some of my favorite layouts were formatted in BBCoding, and it'll be a much easier time writing and submitting CS Sheets without having to do awkward dashes in the middle. I can't wait for the new update! Here's to a fresh start, and may the future be bright for RPNation! *clinks champagne glass*

Sorry if these have been asked already but I didn't see them on the common questions thing. Or maybe I missed it. But anyways.

1. Images got pretty borked when we transferred over last time, can we expect something similar to happen?

2. I've been copying and pasting my posts from Google Docs directly into the text editor here, do you guys think that'll cause any problems on the change over? I know that on Iwaku (a site SUPER similar to xF rpn, it probably uses xF actually) you can't just do that, you've gotta reformat the post within the editor, and you can't copy and paste images from Google Docs either. 

I've been copying and pasting my posts from Google Docs directly into the text editor here, do you guys think that'll cause any problems on the change over? I know that on Iwaku (a site SUPER similar to xF rpn, it probably uses xF actually) you can't just do that, you've gotta reformat the post within the editor, and you can't copy and paste images from Google Docs either. 

In all instances where I have used xenoforo - and there have been a few - copying and pasting from google docs has never worked. I believe there's a bbcode somewhere (although I don't know if we'll have it or not) that allows for the attachment of a google doc, but I would not expect copying and pasting from a google doc to continue working after the transfer. 

This is my comment based on my experience. Staff could say differently. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As an avid fan of Xenforo sites, I am very glad with this change. And I'm much better with BBCode than I am with HTML.

The BBCode has plans to be updated.  I believe the more broken outdated BBCodes won't be accessible until they've been updated and tested.  I could be wrong though, only @The Dark Wizard knows for sure.

The only one that was ever glitchy was accordions since it came from an addon and it was the only one we we didn't make in terms of bbcodes that were not fonts. I'll see about making a new one.

The only one that was ever glitchy was accordions since it came from an addon and it was the only one we we didn't make in terms of bbcodes that were not fonts. I'll see about making a new one.

So is there the chance to accidently break the site like with HTML? Or is it more...user friendly?

Question, sorry if this has already been asked >.<

Befoee the update, hosted projects had to be applied for and very few (as opposed to now) were given space as the creator has to show they were willing to commit to keeping it alive. But in turn, that also meant they were unpopulated and generally unused seeing as the tab system that linked threads was a god-send.

I already read somewhere that the tabs might not make a return (please do correct me if I'm wrong)... 

So will we be going to back to that system with HPs? It being a bitter sweet return considering those that are going to be transferred will offer some people a place to roleplay while others what the organization but don't have the motivation or commitment to run something for months on end are going to be unable to have something as seamless? 

Question, sorry if this has already been asked >.<

Befoee the update, hosted projects had to be applied for and very few (as opposed to now) were given space as the creator has to show they were willing to commit to keeping it alive. But in turn, that also meant they were unpopulated and generally unused seeing as the tab system that linked threads was a god-send.

I already read somewhere that the tabs might not make a return (please do correct me if I'm wrong)... 

So will we be going to back to that system with HPs? It being a bitter sweet return considering those that are going to be transferred will offer some people a place to roleplay while others what the organization but don't have the motivation or commitment to run something for months on end are going to be unable to have something as seamless? 

There will be hosted projects.  Dark Wizard loves them too much ^;3^    Right now, we don't know exactly how we'll be doing them.  However, we're leaning toward an addon that looks similar to what we have here on IPS, rather than the old system we had on xF before the August update.

Sucks that you guys ended up having far more trouble with IPS than you anticipated. Hopefully going back to a clean slate of XF will work out for the best. When I first saw that you were switching back I'll admit I was worried about losing my HPs, but since it's clear we're not losing them I'm pretty open to the idea.

Dammit if I didn't just delete my BBCode color name masterlist the other day. ><

I will admit I do have some questions of my own. (Watch someone else will ask as I'm typing this out)

• Do you guys have any idea whether switching will mess with currently set Co-GMs and the like or not?
  • Are post macros making a return? Or was that an XF addon?
  • I know posts written specifically using the HTML editor are going to freak out, but what posts without any blatant HTML use? Stuff formatted with just the built in text editor like font size, color, whether it's bold or not I mean.
  • Will this effect pictures or videos embedded in posts? (whether embedded through the HTML editor, or just the normal RTE)

Those are the only questions I can think of at the moment. Just trying to figure out how much of my content will need copy/pasted into plain text and formatting layouts screenshotted so I can set them all back up and pretty afterwards.

I'd posted this back during the initial rush and it probably got buried. (Which is totally understandable!)

Though a question that's come to mind since then: was the ability to use Google Fonts a part of BBCode itself? Or another plugin?

Sucks that you guys ended up having far more trouble with IPS than you anticipated. Hopefully going back to a clean slate of XF will work out for the best. When I first saw that you were switching back I'll admit I was worried about losing my HPs, but since it's clear we're not losing them I'm pretty open to the idea.

Dammit if I didn't just delete my BBCode color name masterlist the other day. ><

I will admit I do have some questions of my own. (Watch someone else will ask as I'm typing this out)

• Do you guys have any idea whether switching will mess with currently set Co-GMs and the like or not?
  • Are post macros making a return? Or was that an XF addon?
  • I know posts written specifically using the HTML editor are going to freak out, but what posts without any blatant HTML use? Stuff formatted with just the built in text editor like font size, color, whether it's bold or not I mean.
  • Will this effect pictures or videos embedded in posts? (whether embedded through the HTML editor, or just the normal RTE)

Those are the only questions I can think of at the moment. Just trying to figure out how much of my content will need copy/pasted into plain text and formatting layouts screenshotted so I can set them all back up and pretty afterwards.

Sorry for losing this!

1 - I don't know, no.  I believe the addon we're looking into has roles, but I don't think we'll be able to transfer with them.  Be prepared to set them up again!

2 - I believe that was an addon.

3 - My guess is that simple stuff should translate, but it may take a few days, just as it did last time.

4 - Probably.  Those videos that were put in with just a link should be OK, but everything may be surrounded by ineffectual HTML.

Sorry for losing this!

1 - I don't know, no.  I believe the addon we're looking into has roles, but I don't think we'll be able to transfer with them.  Be prepared to set them up again!

2 - I believe that was an addon.

3 - My guess is that simple stuff should translate, but it may take a few days, just as it did last time.

4 - Probably.  Those videos that were put in with just a link should be OK, but everything may be surrounded by ineffectual HTML.

No worries! It was pure chaos here for a bit.

1. Meh, not a big deal there
  2. Oh well, I just liked being lazy and have a fancy post header ready with the press of a button. But I can cheat in other ways...
  3. Alrighty, no big deal there. This time I know to wait until the site's done trying to fix stuff before fixing it myself ^^;;
  4. That can be cleaned up at least.

So a couple more questions!

• Was the use of Google Fonts an inherent BBCode ability or another addon? Loved fancy fonts for the character names in the start of a post
  • Will we perhaps be able to give more font size options should Google Fonts make a return? I could have two fonts set to the highest size the old site would allow and one would be far smaller than the other. Granted.... that's probably an issue with the font itself now that I think about it >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back