• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Baby-Capes: Young Supers and Corporate-Sponsored Heroism

DorianRaker

Unlucky Member
Locally appropriate time-based greeting, internet-type roleplayers. I've got a nugget of an idea that's kind of weird, but has me irrationally excited. I recently ran a one-shot for my tabletop group using Masks: A New Generation, and things rapidly spiraled into running a corporate-affiliated teenage team of superheroes sponsored by an energy drink company. That got my wheels turning.

The high-concept pitch is as follows:

You are a high-school age superhero that's received a corporate sponsorship to join their affiliated super team. You'll enjoy the very best in corporate liability insurance and viral marketing as you do what superheroes do best: foil devious plots, solve mind-bending mysteries, and pit your powers against the rogues and ne'er-do-wells that seem to plague the bustling metropolis of Pinnacle Bay.

Now, caveat lector, but I've also been tinkering with some Belonging Outside Belonging style "no dice no masters" mechanics to ratchet up teenage angst and melodrama for our cast of young heroes getting their first taste of the superheroic life. Characters can be built using a super-intuitive snap-together system of origin, power, and concept that all grant a weak move or a lure that will grant "tokens" for strong moves. Basically, this should keep the story moving forward dramatically rather than allowing our fledgling capes from going nova and one-shotting the villain of the week. More on that if it sounds like your cup of tea.

Ideally, I want a cast who are okay with taking turns playing the occasional villain of the week, as well. We'll swap roles between arcs, playing the nefarious villains in turns, but always returning to our young up-and-coming superheroes and their struggle for mastery of their powers, a place in the super community, and acceptance by the world at large.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, let me know if that sounds like fun!

-Raises hand.-

This looks rad, I am totally here for being a baby supe sponsored by Purple Drink, a subsidiary of Evil Corp.

One of us! One of us!

Basically, keeping some of that delicious disaster teen super-hero flavor while keeping things punchy and free-form until the chips are down. I'm excited to put together a team.

Definitely got some of The Boys flavor in there with the corporate culture angle. Also definitely channeling the "what does superheroism even mean to my generation?" from Sky High (and Masks). Never played Heroes Rises, but if it sounds like your cuppa, stick around and I'll drop more info as I parse it out.

Definitely got some of The Boys flavor in there with the corporate culture angle. Also definitely channeling the "what does superheroism even mean to my generation?" from Sky High (and Masks). Never played Heroes Rises, but if it sounds like your cuppa, stick around and I'll drop more info as I parse it out.
It's a text adventure game. The company that makes them is niche and its a solid game.

But I'll keep my eyes on this.

Could be interesting.

Interesting idea is that the energy drink is the one that caused them to be a superhero.
Something something caffeinated bullet time? Like you have to put back red bulls to use your powers and get a sponsorship so you don't have to buy them constantly.

Anyways, I've got a huge array of unused Masks character concepts I can bring out for this. Just gotta decide which one to use.

That'd certainly be on the table! If shotgunning GoGoJuice™ made you into the young cape you are today, then getting signed by that company seems pretty logical.

I'm hacking together some copy so that you guys get a better look at what I'm thinking and then you can decide if you want to ride this thing into the ground with me!

I was thinking more long the lines of the iZombie tv show, Utopium (illegal drug) + Max Rager (energy drink) = Zombie.

With this it would be Energy Drink + something rare = Superhero or Supervillain. It would be a one time thing no need to constantly chug the stuff.

Okay, guys. Standby wall of "mechanics" text.

Origin-
Mutant- Your powers represent another step in human evolution. They might be inherited from your parents or just a freaky genetic anomaly, but one way or another they’re part of you. Now if you can figure out how to use them without putting yourself or others in danger, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a real hero.
Weak Move: Go all out and lose control.

Engineered- They can’t blame you for this, you were made this way. Whether a government or corporate experiment or trained to peak human ability by a mentor or organization, someone carefully crafted you into a hero. You’ve spent your life under the heaviest of scrutiny, and someone has the highest expectations of you.
Weak Move: Expect too much of someone.

Techie: From the moment our earliest ancestors tied a rock to a stick, we’ve been using technology to solve problems. The villainy of Pinnacle Bay is just one more problem, and we have the technology. You’ve got the gadgets, and if you can work the bugs out, you might be one of the greats.
Weak Move: Solve a problem, cause a bigger one.

Outsider- You’re not from around here. Where you are from, these powers are normal (or not quite so weird), and you’re not entirely sure why everyone is making such a fuss.
Weak Move: Assume something incorrect about the world.

Concept-
Energy Controller- Your powers center around the manipulation of energy; an element or power. You can bend these forces to your will...most of the time. Collateral damage can be a factor.
Lure: When you hold me accountable, take a token.

Bruiser- You’re stronger and tougher than most, able to take and dish out a beating in equal measure. Good news for you, there’s usually a face in need of a fist in Pinnacle Bay.
Lure: When you shelter in my shadow, take a token.

Genius- You’re the strategist, the detective, the problem-solver. You’re brilliant, and you know it. Insufferable? Maybe. Useful? You better believe it.
Lure: When you trust me to know best, take a token.

Vigilante- You’ve got a cause and you’re not afraid to fight for it. Your wells of resolve and will are boundless. It’s probably not winning you many friends, and it’s exposing the company to liability, but it’s great TV that’s doing good, right?
Lure: When your fervor matches my own, take a token.

Monster- You don’t pass for human anymore. You’ve been changed in ways that you cannot hide. It’s not a mask that you can take off, not a costume. This is you now, and despite the cool powers, they won’t let you forget it.
Lure: When you stand up for me like a person rather than a monster, take a token.

Mask- You’ve got something to lose in this, and so you keep your involvement secret. Other capes wear masks, but it’s all flash and showmanship. You do it to protect the ones you love. You are the mask.
Lure: When you make it personal, take a token.

Label- You’re a little of all of this, but one of these defines your baby-cape.
Dangerous- You are threatening, strong, bloody-knuckled, or the first to do the risky work necessary to save the day. Other people see you as a danger when they think they should steer clear of you because you might bring them harm. You see yourself as a danger when you believe you can take down other dangerous threats, and when you think you yourself are a threat to other people.
Weak Move: Charge in without a plan.

Freak- You see yourself as strange, unusual, unique, and powerful. Other people see you as a freak when they think you’re odd, unlike them, something unnatural or outside of their understanding. You see yourself as a freak when you accept and own the things you can do that no one else can, and when you think you don’t belong with the people and the world around you.
Weak Move: Alienate them.

Savior- You see yourself as a defender, guardian, protector, and stalwart. Other people see you as a savior when they think of you as noble or self-sacrificing, or a bit overbearing and moralizing. You see yourself as a savior when you think of yourself as a martyr, someone who gladly sacrifices to protect and defend others.
Weak Move: Play the martyr.

Superior- You see yourself as smart, capable, crafty, and quick. Other people see you as superior when they think you’re the smartest person in the room, an arrogant and egotistical jerk. You see yourself as superior when you think you’re cleverer than everyone else, and when you know exactly what to say to make the people around you do what you want.
Weak Move: Get something important wrong.

Mundane- You see yourself as normal, human, empathetic, and understanding. Other people see you as mundane when they think of you as all too normal and uninteresting, but also comprehending and sympathetic. You see yourself as mundane when you think you’re regular, just a person, not special, and focused on normal human things like feelings and emotions.
Weak Move: Admit that you need help.

Strong moves- Spend a token for any of the following.
Deal a telling blow- This is the panel where you land the punch, throw the energy blast, or make the cutting rejoinder that turns the tide.
Uncover a hidden truth- Make a sudden connection in a flash of inspiration and tell us what it is.
Stand Strong- Villains deal telling blows, too, and this is the panel where we see you still standing as the dust settles.
Look Cool as Hell- This is the full-page splash of your hero looking heroic as hell. Play for drama, take control of the scene, it’s about you right now.

Weak Moves- Do the following to gain a token.
Lose Your Cool- You’re a hero, but you’re also a teenager. When things get heated or it gets to be too much, take a condition that persists until cleared.
Eat Dirt- Take the hit, lose the argument, fail to measure up.

Conditions- They work exactly like they sound. When you've got a condition, your character feels and reacts accordingly. Clear a condition by doing the following.
Afraid- Run from something difficult.
Angry- Hurt someone or break something important
Guilty- Make a sacrifice to absolve your guilt.
Hopeless- Fling yourself into easy relief.
Insecure- Take foolhardy action without talking to your team.

Last edited:
I'm on board! I love the concept of making weak moves to bank tokens to spend on strong moves. It keeps everyone grounded and will add some interesting drama. This looks really fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back