• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Speaking of sharing backstories in popular comic book culture, POP QUIZ!

What long-time Marvel superhero did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles share their own original backstory with?

Ostrich-horses are probably the closest equivalent, though funnily enough, that stance is indeed referred to in-universe as Horse Stance within the Kyoshi Novels.
Well, horse stance is a real thing as my thighs and calves can readily affirm. =)

Daredevil!
Yes! Sherwood gets a prize!

Christmas Cookies GIF

Okay, several prizes. Who can eat only one of those bad boys? =)

Last call?

Oh. I see RP Nation's alert system did not tell me there was anything else going on. I just woke up. I'll catch up and post when I can, hopefully later today. Sorry!

Let me know if my posts with Bamboo are too wordy? Like water, I'm just letting him flow. But I don't want the story to be about him or for him to take up any more spotlight than he needs to - after all, everyone's fun is important!

Wish Owl and D. were here, though. C'est la vie!

Let me know if my posts with Bamboo are too wordy? Like water, I'm just letting him flow. But I don't want the story to be about him or for him to take up any more spotlight than he needs to - after all, everyone's fun is important!
No complaints on my end.

Wish Owl and D. were here, though. C'est la vie!
Guessing D's still busy with the new job, and heard a peep out of Owl for a while...

Bamboo seeks to heal Resistance members from the wounds caused by the Fire Nation. The more dire the need, the more willing his efforts to use his holistic medicine or Waterbending Refresh technique - whichever is more practical.
The fighting's still ongoing, and I'm not planning to have the resistance group NPC use Evade and Observe this exchange, which they'd need to do in order for Bamboo to be able to heal them during it. That being said, shall I have Bamboo just sit this exchange out? He'll be able to join in the next one easily enough, assuming we have another.

Psychie Psychie , based on O-Ren's dialogue, are you choosing to go with the Advance and Attack approach this exchange?

I'm not planning to have the resistance group NPC use Evade and Observe this exchange, which they'd need to do in order for Bamboo to be able to heal them during it.

jaydude jaydude Oh, right. I forgot about their needing to be in the same "stance (what is the right word, please?)"

Uh... well, if no one is in a position to be healed, then either Bamboo defends or attacks, correct? Or is there another option somewhere?

Is there something a water bender could do with the nearby terrain? Is there a hill nearby that he might use his Waterbending to toss a mudslide down onto the bad guys or something? Can Bamboo cause the ground at the bad guys' feet to become muddy therefore restricting their movements?

jaydude jaydude Oh, right. I forgot about their needing to be in the same "stance (what is the right word, please?)"
Approach is the official term in the mechanics.

Uh... well, if no one is in a position to be healed, then either Bamboo defends or attacks, correct? Or is there another option somewhere?
As stated in the Lore/Other thread, there's a choice of three approaches; the one you pick determines what sorts of techniques you can use, and which stat you roll with:
  • Defend and maneuver rolls with Focus
  • Advance and attack rolls with Passion
  • Evade and observe rolls with Creativity or Harmony, the PC’s choice

Is there something a water bender could do with the nearby terrain? Is there a hill nearby that he might use his Waterbending to toss a mudslide down onto the bad guys or something? Can Bamboo cause the ground at the bad guys' feet to become muddy therefore restricting their movements?
No, neither of those are options. The river's the only source of water around; I put it there for the sake of convenience, since I didn't know if you and Psychie Psychie wanted your characters to have their own small supplies of water with them here.

Approach is the official term in the mechanics.
"Approach." Thanks, Jay!

since I didn't know if you and Psychie Psychie wanted your characters to have their own small supplies of water with them here.
You mentioned that having a Gear tab on the characters was not necessary. Please consider the following only to be ADHD-fueled ramblings with no requests for action toward anyone here. =) I just want to express my mind. =)

From the beginning, I've wanted Bamboo to "Be prepared (in the spirit of the Boy Scouts motto)" with two waterskins on his person at all times along with a number of things necessary for his scholarly and holistic pursuits and his jungle background (his cloak, long knife, and spear especially).

I think I'm bringing this up here and now because I don't want to act like Bamboo is pulling something out of a magical bag whenever we get into situations where proper gear comes into play.

I feel like one's gear or lack thereof plays an important role in adventuring. It tells you a lot about who you're with. For example, what Waterbender worthy of the name would be caught running around without any form of water on their person? Only Firebenders can bend without material components, right? =)

I also feel that gear tells tales. Has anyone here read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried?

It's pretty good. =)

Last edited:
You mentioned that having a Gear tab on the characters was not necessary. Please consider the following only to be ADHD-fueled ramblings with no requests for action toward anyone here. =) I just want to express my mind. =)

From the beginning, I've wanted Bamboo to "Be prepared (in the spirit of the Boy Scouts motto)" with two waterskins on his person at all times along with a number of things necessary for his scholarly and holistic pursuits and his jungle background (his cloak, long knife, and spear especially).

I think I'm bringing this up here and now because I don't want to act like Bamboo is pulling something out of a magical bag whenever we get into situations where proper gear comes into play.
No worries at all. This most certainly makes sense to me.

I feel like one's gear or lack thereof plays an important role in adventuring. It tells you a lot about who you're with. For example, what Waterbender worthy of the name would be caught running around without any form of water on their person? Only Firebenders can bend without material components, right? =)
I was thinking along similar lines myself, or at least about how Katara typically carries a waterskin with her during travels.

I also feel that gear tells tales. Has anyone here read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried?

It's pretty good. =)
I don't think I ever even heard of it until now.

Purr Purr
So assuming you want to take part in the next exchange, what approach do you want to go with here?

jaydude jaydude Right! Thanks. Sorry again. Heavily-distracted.

Ah, using the Approach of Defend and Maneuver, could Bamboo use his Wall of Perfection technique to block attacks meant for others? If so, he'll go into hand to hand combat with his spear and, since he's unable to heal anyone yet, he might help prevent them from getting further injured?

Wall of Perfection - Defend and Maneuver (Focus) - Mastered​

Create a perfect wall of defense around yourself and any allies directly next to you; mark 1-fatigue to block a single attack towards the wall or keep an enemy at bay who tries to penetrate the wall.

Sure. Just have him fly Bamboo Smoochie over the river so that he can grab some water for the wall.

Last edited:
Sure. Just have him fly Bamboo over the river so that he can grab some water for the wall.

Have him fly Bamboo?! Just you waitaminute!

/SILLYON

Who's flying who here?! Bamboo is flying Smoochie! NOT the other way around, you rascally Sky Bison! I see what she tried to do! Get our GM to make Bamboo do all the flying! Is this payback for getting her burned by the Fire Nation Commander?

Bamboo can't fly! He's a waterbender fer cryin' ooout loooud!

HAAAALP!

Avatar The Last Airbender Reaction GIF

/SILLYOFF

=)

Sorry. Forgot.
Sorry for what? I thought that was a great opportunity to be silly - and honestly, I could use it right now (work stress is above average in my life).

Seriously! Thank you, Jaydude! Being silly makes me feel good! =)

Ask anyone we play with; they'll tell ya! hugs!

In Love Cat GIF

I really should go to bed here, though. It's way late! In-game post is up. Enjoy and have a good one! =)

EDIT: Oh! And Bamboo's Focus is +1 for determining his Wall of Perfection. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back