• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Thirteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a Dungeon Master hint here - SkySting is not asking for a history lesson so much as she is asking what Highwind is and where it is located. There are the options of describing this yourself from what you know, having your character explain it ("my character explains the whereabouts of the mountain city"), having your party tell her nothing at all, or whatever other option you can come up with.

=)

As the player who probably knows the most about Highwind, playing the character who's likewise been there more times, I wanted to hold off lest Bren answer too fully to allow anyone else a shot. However, as even our usual quick-draw posters have remained silent, I'll step up to keep the game going (because if Dannigan does it, the results are likely to be... shocking).

Heya Gang! Hope you're enjoying the quest. After reading in-game, please click below. =)

Perhaps it might benefit your group to discuss what you have just learned from SkySting here in the Adventurers' Table?

Well, for starters, she does know about Loviatar's curses and is under one of them herself, which I wasn't expecting! Speaking of which, I'm inclined to let Oscar ask the last question, since he knows what we're interested in and seems to have worked out a good way to ask.

Also that she's been here for ages -- I don't know how long ago Koshianth and Grimauldin hooked up, but it was way longer ago than any of my Sharseya characters have ever needed to know. I kind of feel sorry for her now. Imagine being a bridge for hundreds and hundreds of years, and getting only stupid people to talk to!

I don't know what Pohjola is, aside from another plane, but we can ask Oscar that once our official question time is over, since he knew right off. And we know how to get home now -- just keep on doing what we're doing, into the dungeons and all. Also that we are to recover something down there, which is interesting. Not destroy, apparently, but recover?

EDIT: Fixed misspelling :D

Last edited:
SkySting referred to the land here as Pohjola if you don't mind the correction.

Sorry about my lack of postings. I has missed out on my alerts, and was surprised to see a new post had come up. Sneaky posts! Like ninjas, they creep along, until POW! There they are!

Seriously, I have little to offer up, except perhaps to ask exactly what it is we are to recover in our efforts to break these three curses. I would hate to pass up some odd little trinket and discover that it is the key to getting out of here. Remember, we are dealing with a Goddess, and she could conceal this object in any of a hundred different ways.

I'm also wondering which chest we are planning on opening up, and what loot is inside!

I wonder about the three chests too, but lets see what question that Oscar has for Old Bones.

Is there any chance that Luna could know a bit of this plane we are on from her studies?

If Luna had her wizardly studies to fall back on, yes, she could roll. Unfortunately she is still stuck with being 1st level and having Nivirea's skills instead of her own.

Such a roll requires Lore: Planes. Does Luna have it?

In her 1e build, she had skill levels in all the Knowledge skills. But in her current state, she does not.

Well, racklefratz.

Somewhere, I'm sure, Loviatar is having a very fine chuckle at your party's expense.

Make her regret it. =)

Last edited:
...SkySting gawked and looked very much the fool.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?
Nivirea's not thrilled that Bria just wasted an amazing opportunity to help fix her biggest problem (or the party's, if she could be bothered to remember). For the time being, she's just staring at what's going on. I'm gonna see what the others do, first.

It might help us out a lot. If we could find a way to cancel out the curse on the dragon and bring it back to life, that would be a huge favor that SkySting would owe us.

Of course Nivirea is not thrilled. Why would she be?

What we have here is a difference in alignments (and well-played ones at that. =) ).

Bria is asking the party to help someone that Nivirea doesn't care about. Well, surprise! Chaotic Neutral characters tend to look out for themselves and their interests ("me and mine first and society can go take a hike if it doesn't like it" right?). Neutral Good with strong Lawful tendencies like Bria often put others in their decisions ("the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few or the one" or society first, individuality second). Both characters are acting perfectly within their alignments which makes for great roleplaying! I would have been mildly shocked myself to learn Nivirea cared for any stranger who had no obvious benefit for her or for whom she had no feelings for. On the other hand, Bria cares for literally everyone including strangers. Has either character ever acted otherwise?

There's nothing wrong with either character's approach - it's just the way they are. But I don't for a minute expect one to get along with the other, at least, until some benefit is pointed out. That's how opposing alignments in a party are. Frankly, it's times like these that I continue to miss Leonard Wolf. I think he might have seen the undead dragoness with eyes of wonder and Pohjola as a whole would probably hold less terrors for a guy like him.

As for "wasting opportunities," don't forget - Sharseya is our sandbox. The Wayward Wanderers are not now being railroaded (which I like to think I am pretty open in telling you when you are). You guys can turn Bria's request down. Sure, she'll be unhappy about it, but hey, who can be happy for long in a place like Pohjola, right?

And in case anyone is asking, "Oh, why did Bria go and bring this up?" The answer is simple. That's what Brias do. But, friends, don't think you're stuck with her. If all of you decided you wanted her out of the party, I would remove her and then you could find some other way to take her role. It is easier than you think when you are dealing with a Dungeon Master of my experience (not that I'm all that or anything). As always, the choice is yours.

So, yeah. From my point of view, nothing has been wasted. Roleplaying is about decisions, isn't it? That's part of the fun (at least, I've always thought so). This entire scene lies in the your hands. I have told you all before - you can go with whatever plan you want. As your Dungeon Master, I warmly recommend you continue to discuss the situation and come to a conclusion you can more or less agree on.

Isn't that part of what being in a fellowship is all about? =)

How did we go from Nivirea thinking Bria wasted a question (which I'm not sure I disagree with) to "do we want Bria out of the party?" That seems a pretty big leap to me. Besides the fact that if that's supposed to be the solution to a good vs. neutral alignment conflict, I'd better switch from my paladin as well.

Bria didn't ask us -- she asked SkySting. And interrupted Oscar in the process of presenting our third question, too, thereby pre-empting it in favor of something that benefits the one giving the answers. Alignment questions aside, why should we think SkySting wouldn't answer this on her own, even after the limit was passed? And bringing alignment back in, how is Bren, to say nothing of the other good people in the party, supposed to say "Nah, don't listen to her, we aren't here to help, just to get ourselves fixed and go home"? (Which obviously he won't, this is all my opinion, not his.)

And even if we decide not to try to do anything about SkySting's curse (assuming we're even able to, under the circumstances), it still remains that the question was asked, and in the third question slot. That's the wasted opportunity that Nivirea objects to.

Whoops! Then I screwed up the scene. Sorry about that! This is yet another reminder for me that my brain doesn't work like everyone else's. Allow me to try and fix this.

1. I didn't mean to suggest the Wayward Wanderers kick Bria; I meant to suggest that my NPCs are there if you want them, but they're not required.
2. I didn't add a very important element (which was in my head but somehow didn't make it into the post now that I think of it) - SkySting asks of Brendoran (seeing as he's the leader) what the question is. I'll add that now.
3. My end goal was to provide the Wayward Wanderers a decision. Oscar has one question. Bria has another. The decision is - with both Oscar's and Bria's perspective out in the open, what question do the PCs want to ask?

Again, sorry about that! It all made sense in my (admittedly-cloudy) head...

Last edited:
Psychie Psychie
Recommend you edit your post before Dannigan sees. :P SkySting is female.

Last edited:
Heh heh heh. You are just digging your grave deeper and deeper, mister. Your wife will hear about how you are being mean to me.

Hah! Yes, Kaerri For The Win. If SkySting had heard that, she would have blown her top (again) and probably zapped a few of the Wayward Wanderers for keeping Oreleth around. =)

As for Sherwood's grave, um, can we rez him after you're done with him, Psychie? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back