• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Eighteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, you!

Happy to say it's gone today! I woke up with a clear head and it's a very nice feeling. =)

Edit: still, it is wise to take things easy and one hour at a time if you follow my meaning. =)

Last edited:
Psychie Psychie I think that's about all of the PC feedback she is going to get. =)

1. As Party Leader, are you ready to take action or do you have questions for me?
2. Does Oreleth want feedback from the NPCs?

Have fun and stay safe! =)

I believe that we have a good plan in place; keep Powerpaw and Bria outside with the Wagon and the kobolds, and the rest of us make our way into the caves in a giant hunt.

I believe that we have a good plan in place; keep Powerpaw and Bria outside with the Wagon and the kobolds, and the rest of us make our way into the caves in a giant hunt.
Psychie Psychie Okay. I'm going to go all "old school" on all of you here.

During Encounter mode (if you like the D&D 5th Edition term), I'm going to use a word often used way back in 1st Edition play - declaration. Psychie, as the Party Leader, everyone save for Silanon's character, Aldrin, who is not yet in play, will be doing precisely as you are saying (unless that PC/NPC declares otherwise). That is done in this stage of play. This is probably the part where I ask for details. Not all DMs do this, but I do.

When you say the "rest of us are making our way into the caves in a giant hunt," how are you going about doing this?

Also... roughly speaking, what is the Wayward Wanderers marching order? Be clear here. Single file? Double file? In rows? How many in each row and so forth? If you'd like an example or if you'd like tips, I can provide (more than) a few. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I do want to know here. =)

Ok, I am not wanting to make the marching order decision without the input of the others. Lets see what we can come up with.

I am thinking we go in two abreast of one another, giving everyone room to fight and be able to fire off spells and arrows from the middle ranks

Obviously, I want Luna in the middle, because she's a squishy spellcaster, possibly paired up along side Mamapaw.

Our paladin, Alisa, if I am not mistaken, is more a ranged combatant than a hand to hand one, just like Oreleth.

Kaerri and Otiorin; are you guys more comfortable engaging primarily with ranged weapons, or would you want to get into hand to hand with the bad guys?

My first thought would be to have Alisa and Oreleth split up, one in the front and the other in the back, with our two rogues split, one with each archer, and Luna and Mamapaw in the middle, giving Luna the ability to throw spells overhead and Mamapaw the ability to support with healing spells and her own melee weapon when not supporting the party members in the mix. I just don't know which ones of our rogues would be best to lead off in front.

Thoughts? Comments?

I fully endorse the idea of being off of the front lines of the fight. Squishy spellcaster, after all.

Whoever has the best stealth and perception skills might be best to lead. I'd be inclined to let one of the rogues scout ahead, and leave the back more exposed with only Alisa there; kind of a 1-2-2-1,so to speak. Giants shouldn't be too sneaky, but you probably don't want to run straight into them.

Well, Kaerri has a phenomenal perception roll, much higher than anyone else in the party. If we did that, she'd be up front, with Oreleth and Otiorin in the second rank, Mamapaw and Luna in the third rank, and Alisa running in the fourth rank.

I like this line-up, but it is by far not the only option. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Wow, Kaerri has a really high Perception roll! It will take one hell of a sneaky giant to get past her keen eyes if we do this marching order.

*Kaerri drops into husky Wolverine voice* "I'm the best at what I do!"

Whoever has the best stealth and perception skills might be best to lead. I'd be inclined to let one of the rogues scout ahead, and leave the back more exposed with only Alisa there; kind of a 1-2-2-1,so to speak. Giants shouldn't be too sneaky, but you probably don't want to run straight into them.

I like this idea. Haven't been a fan of squishies in the far back ever since an incident involving monk-mages of Wee Jas (y'all remember them from back when?) who used Dimension Door (I think) to jump behind the party and ambush our poor archer. Alisa's rather tougher than he was, though, and Mamapaw will be right there as backup (or should that be front-up?). And in any case I don't expect giants to have that variety of nasty. (They have their own kind of nasty.)

Do you want Kaerri scouting a distance ahead or just at the lead of the party? I'm good either way.

Do you want Kaerri scouting a distance ahead or just at the lead of the party? I'm good either way.
Psychie Psychie There is a danger to this and I feel I would be a bad Dungeon Master if I didn't bring it up. Also, I think your Wood Elven Arcane Archer would know this, and finally, there is no damned way in hell that Kaerri the Rogue/Shadowdancer (the Character) does not know this! Heh!

While keeping the party together might be a great instinct to have (and thank you for that! You save your Dungeon Master headaches!), I want you to know that I would rolling Perception checks for anything that might hear you. That means your entire party.

If instead you declare you're sending only one PC/NPC up, then I roll Perception checks against that one person.

Of course, the choice is yours. =)

Ah, good point. Kaerri could go a short distance ahead, sneakily, and report back every so often. That way the party can be sneaking along behind her and not have to worry as much about their own stealth checks.

Good point. I was not aware that you were going to be doing a group stealth check and perception rolls that way. Ok, with no objections, we can have Kaerri range ahead and do her sneak and peek, and if there is trouble, we trash it.

Good point. I was not aware that you were going to be doing a group stealth check and perception rolls that way.
Oh, most definitely. I can't have an entire party walk up and only roll for one person. That's totally not fair. =)

Psychie Psychie What kind of marching orders would you like the Wayward Wanderers to go by with and without Kaerri in the group?

Ok, we'll have Kaerri take point scouting out the path ahead and checking back with the rest. Next, Otiorin and Oreleth, followed by Mamapaw and Luna, then Alisa in the rear.

Just remember, keep the squishy mage safe!
Ha ha! One thing hasn't changed in 40+ years. The Magic-users are always looking out for themselves!

The two faces of AD&D Magic-users:

Face #1: "Hey guys! Look at me blow up these bad guys with magnificent ease! Ha ha! Go meee!"

Face #2: "Hey guys! The Dungeon Master is asking for my Armor Class! Saaave meee!"

(I should add this is regardless of the Magic-user's Armor Class! They can have the highest AC in the party and still do this, because back then they ran on 1d4 Hit Points per level until about the 11th level!)

Once Aldrin is there, it might get a little crowded in the middle of the pack...

Also: No responsibility for failed tactics is taken. Proceed at your own risk, folks! There'll be a healer along the way forward somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back