As We Knew It

But will Grigori get back his waifu?

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT EPISODE OF

JOJO NO KIM--sorry

ADVENTURES IN AEDRA!

The council can attempt to fix this mess. The truth of the matter is that violence is an unfortunate constant of the human condition. No ammount of talking, bargaining or reason will ever stop the blood from flowing. It may be staunched, clotted, even tournaquetted, but it will never stop so long as man ignores his capacity for empathy.

-pokes thread- Hello? Dusky?

Oh, hello hello.

Okay, so uh.

Facts of Life

...is full! No more characters will be accepted towards it. Meanwhile we have one accepted character in DoA and one in the works, and also one spot left in RA.

So Kami, I'd honestly appreciate some people in Darkness of Aedra right now. It's the most lacking in numbers.

Sounds like a plan to me. How's a woodworker sound to you? Small town like that would likely need someone handy with tools and a saw I think.

Actually I have a question about the magic system in this story Dusky. I understand that it's a fickle thing and is really only good for broad, basic tasks. But you mentioned that Findal has managed to remain technologically lesser because they've harnessed the natural magic of the land to something of an industrial degree. How is that possible?

Another thing I'm curious about is some of the location names people seem to be throwing out in their character profiles. Are those just made up or are they based on locations in the story?

If it isn't Aedra, Findal, Rendel, Feen, Roland Outpost, Connerick, City High/the Capital, or Ilfrey, it's made up by them. I'm perfectly fine with this.

I wouldn't say industrial. I'd say artisan. Craftsmanship. It works for them because historically strained relations with Findal put tech in a bad light, because their economic and, to an extent, social structure is based on self-sufficiency rather than industrialization, and because magic does provide a few good substitutes. Any one of these alone wouldn't be enough, but combined...

The RP is taking place at a time when people are about to start grumbling - at a time when the demand to have a better quality of life is growing due to the increasing spread of information, and the slippery slope of wartime advancements. So if you were thinking, "Wouldn't people want more than just a few good substitutes?"... Well, you'd be right.

Magic is decidedly less fickle the more you study and practice, as well. Only it takes time, a lot of time to master the art, and not everyone has the talent. So you can do some amazing enchantments and such with magic, but you have to shell out a heavy fee for it.

I see. That all makes sense to me, but I do have one concern. I guess I'm just not entirely sure how prolific I should make magic be in my posts when I play the woodsman. I know he wouldn't know how to control magic very well, nothing more than maybe helping a flower grow a little taller than it would on it's own. Maybe his mother would have had a better handle on that than him, but I think his mentality is that things should be left as they are to progress naturally. Technology and magic toe a line he's not comfortable with in his eyes.

So if I had to sum up how magic works in Findal, it'd be common enough that people witnessing it wouldn't freak out, but not so common that it's used as a substitute for advanced tech, yes? And of course things that did warrant surprise would be things of a large scale, like a transforming bear-man with royal blood, yeah?

Exactomundo! Leave that to the trained professionals!

And the transforming is actually a matter of being a shifter, which would in a majority of people elicit an extremely negative reaction because they've had prejudice ingrained into their heads for generations.

That's called racism. How strong would the prejudice against shifters be, by the by? Is it like, pure hatred against them?

Preeetttyyy much.

Not at all dissimilar to actual racism in Colonial America. I am after all drawing inspiration from the late 18th century. Someone known to be a shifter should expect open derision, unfair treatment, poor representation in legal systems, and at times even violence, all on a daily basis.

Is there some story to this (I.e. in Valkyria Chronicles, the Darcsens are hated due to the Darcsen Calamity, where they wreaked havoc on the people of the land with their military might), or is it just "furries are disgusting" mindset ingrained by ancestors?

Both.

But why must you ask for spoilers~? There are a good many things I know about this world that none of you do. Hint: Between all my many NPCs, they know all this info too. You want to learn more, you ask around. In game.

Of course, some of those NPCs you have to go looking for.

EDIT: Hell, I've fed you misinformation here and there.

EDIT2: And will continue to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back