As We Knew It

Dusky

Succubus
OOC Chatter

Your one stop shop for AWKI-related discussion! Friendly banter is permissible and even encouraged, but out of respect for everyone's notifications please do not treat this thread as a real-time chatbox. It isn't.

Tagging here for good measure, as I am reasonably certain tags that are edited in don't send notifs.

@Alad V

@Dear Inspector

@Jaysun

@Unwavering Knight

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeebus, Dusk, I'm loving the character sign-up prompts. I'll get to work on mine tomorrow, and have it up ASAP! *rolls around excitedly in chair*

Hey Dusk, for the average character in the setting of Facts of Life, the council meeting described in the prompt has yet to happen, and that will be the first scene of RPing, correct?

Incorrect! The Council Meeting is basically what you're writing about. I'll do some clarifying there tomorrow when I get the chance.

EDIT: Feel free to take some creative liberties, here. It may even give me NPC ideas. In any case - the content of it is very much up to you. I'm not going to be very picky as long as it gives me a good representation of who your character is and why they're relevant to the RP.

Dusky said:
Incorrect! The Council Meeting is basically what you're writing about. I'll do some clarifying there tomorrow when I get the chance.
EDIT: Feel free to take some creative liberties, here. It may even give me NPC ideas. In any case - the content of it is very much up to you. I'm not going to be very picky as long as it gives me a good representation of who your character is and why they're relevant to the RP.
Actually, this is the answer I was hoping to hear :3 so, I can fill out pertinent details on the Council meeting in my "CS, then, good. I just didn't want to write up an entire courtroom/council type scene and have you say "nope, we haven't gotten to that yet, try again" xD

Hey @Dusky, the kingdom of Findel is monarchical, yes? Would this council be considered advisors, as in their political power is in support of the king's own? Or do they conglomeratively have a portion of power equal to the rulers, like a RL House of Congress or Parliament?

So, just to confirm, and to grasp the time-period, do you agree that the technological advancements are similar to the setting of Fable 3's?

Hit the nail on the head with your first guess. That's not to say they don't have their own power, as what they say generally goes and they do have administrative duties and privileges in their areas of the kingdom. It's just laughably easy for the King to override this if he wishes. Think... ascended nobles. Similar to Senators if the President had UNLIMITED and INDISCRIMINATE veto power.

Dusky said:
Similar to Senators if the President had UNLIMITED and INDISCRIMINATE veto power.
*coughcoughOrExecutiveOrdersOutTheWazoocoughcough* I refuse to relate current politics to this, as I tend to be very opinionated in my views, but I certainly see your point :)

simj22 said:
So, just to confirm, and to grasp the time-period, do you agree that the technological advancements are similar to the setting of Fable 3's?
Alas, I am not familiar with the game. A quick Google search of technology of the 18th century should give a good picture of where we're at in Rendel, while Findal is aesthetically Georgian and technologically... anachronistically medieval.

Dusky said:
Alas, I am not familiar with the game. A quick Google search of technology of the 18th century should give a good picture of where we're at in Rendel, while Findal is aesthetically Georgian and technologically... anachronistically medieval.
And how does magic fit into all this? You did mention that it made simple objects like lamps and flying objects, by what system does it work? Or is it so common and base that anyone can perform it for simple tasks, while some study and specialize in it, like any technology or science?

Ohhh, you've given me ideas.

Didn't they ever tell you not to give the GM ideas?

//smirk

Stickdom said:
And how does magic fit into all this? You did mention that it made simple objects like lamps and flying objects, by what system does it work? Or is it so common and base that anyone can perform it for simple tasks, while some study and specialize in it, like any technology or science?
The latter, really, though not entirely. I'm on my phone, I'll have a more thorough answer later.

I'm not entirely sure, since the overview says they're aimless soldiers, but at the same time, it implies they're underequipped for soldiers, as well as only-just-enlisted scrublords.

EDIT: Yeeeeaaaah, that's gonna take a toll on me. Was plannin' on some Funny Foreigner with some experience on the field. Time to work on another view, I suppose.

Oh, that referred more to the Rendel soldiers - will clarify later. I'll be afk for a bit now.

ok, CS posted, @Dusky :) It could be considered a rough draft, if there are more details, changes, or specifics you want, lemme know and I'll get that in there right away :)

EDIT: just noticed/realized the 5 paragraph "suggestion" and find myself lacking. Lemme know how you want me to expand with any questions you may have so I have a direction to head with it :)

[QUOTE="Unwavering Knight]Are we allowed to use pretty pictures to help visually represent our characters in the CS?

[/QUOTE]
Certainly~

I haven't looked yet Sticky, but I wouldn't be too worried as long as it conveys your character well. We shall see.

Stickdom said:
Magic is nothing that was ever gifted to the walking, talking races of the world; it belongs to the land. A healthy land is rich with magic, whereas an unhealthy one is devoid. That said, everything to some extent possesses the ability to call on and direct this magic. Such demands are simple, straightforward - you can enchant something to emit light, but not to emit electrical pulses at intervals dependent on external variables. Like the land, this force is simple, and like the land, it has a mind of its own. Good luck turning it to weaponry - it'll work against you at each turn.

When you call on the life of the land to use magic, you're giving it a suggestion, some sort of command. In its response it's kind of like a four-year-old - if you tell it, "Hey, why don't you emit electrical pulses only at times when the pressure on the right side of this object exceeds 23.7 kilos?" it'll perk up, say "Okay!" and proceed to emit electrical pulses continuously, completely forgetting or ignoring the rest of the request. Magic doesn't do well with details, so the most effective uses are those that just imbue a particular property, like warmth or light-giving. Even something as seemingly simple as mending a broken bowl is likely beyond the reach of most people, as you're trying to direct the magic to many objects - the shards - rather than one.

Some people are born with more influence over the land than others, and have more potent effects. Some people study and train to become as adept. Either way, wielding this power is reserved for small and rare things in most households, while those who are well-versed are trained with dedication, a full-on apprenticeship, and use the skill for hire.

Feel free to ask for further clarification, I very well may have forgotten something.

Dusky said:
Magic is nothing that was ever gifted to the walking, talking races of the world; it belongs to the land. A healthy land is rich with magic, whereas an unhealthy one is devoid. That said, everything to some extent possesses the ability to call on and direct this magic. Such demands are simple, straightforward - you can enchant something to emit light, but not to emit electrical pulses at intervals dependent on external variables. Like the land, this force is simple, and like the land, it has a mind of its own. Good luck turning it to weaponry - it'll work against you at each turn.

When you call on the life of the land to use magic, you're giving it a suggestion, some sort of command. In its response it's kind of like a four-year-old - if you tell it, "Hey, why don't you emit electrical pulses only at times when the pressure on the right side of this object exceeds 23.7 kilos?" it'll perk up, say "Okay!" and proceed to emit electrical pulses continuously, completely forgetting or ignoring the rest of the request. Magic doesn't do well with details, so the most effective uses are those that just imbue a particular property, like warmth or light-giving. Even something as seemingly simple as mending a broken bowl is likely beyond the reach of most people, as you're trying to direct the magic to many objects - the shards - rather than one.

Some people are born with more influence over the land than others, and have more potent effects. Some people study and train to become as adept. Either way, wielding this power is reserved for small and rare things in most households, while those who are well-versed are trained with dedication, a full-on apprenticeship, and use the skill for hire.

Feel free to ask for further clarification, I very well may have forgotten something.
Makes sense to me. So, Magic is not controlled by humans, just given nudges and it does it on its own. Anything outside the realm of natural "physics" that something wouldn't normally be able to do, it can't/won't, you have to coax it into wanting to do that with as simple commands as possible. That about sum it up?

Yeah, basically.

It CAN break physics, I mean magic in and of itself is a physics breaking idea... It's just less inclined to break physics than not.

Yeah, the more physics you break, the more innately complicated it gets, so the less likely it is to succeed, eh?

So I've posted my Character Sheet. I hope you all like your friendly, neighborhood, Imma-rip-your-throat-out-with-my-teeth-if-you-harm-my-town, Knight/Shapeshifter. (As Dusky has already accepted him with much enthusiasm.)

If you have any questions about him (or ideas for character interaction) feel free to message me or ask questions up here.

Though, he's not really a Knight... more of a man with a strong moral compass who happens to be able to turn into a Dire Wolf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back