Opinion Are You Religious? (Discussion about religion because why not!)

No.
You implied that lutherism was fighting against the church.
There is no one church. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. When people say "the church," they include all denominations. i.e. "the church today is supposed to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth" (one of them, unfortunately, is true, but not in the symbolic way it's meant). However, you implied that Lutherism was fighting against catholicism. A denomination that, at the time, was a very controlling one.
That was the misinterpretation.

And you're actually wrong.
Hebrews 10:25
...not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
Hebrews 13:7
Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13
But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.
Matthew 18:20
"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Basically, fellowship and teaching are important to the Lord. Church is [supposed to be] about ______ and _______.
Word bank:
Fellowship
Teaching
Will proceed to smash the like button.
As a lutheran, and I can say this confidently, I don't hate Catholics. Some Lutherans do hate Catholics, but no, Lutheranism is not at odds with the Catholic Church, we just don't believe in some things that Catholics do, like the pope or the saints. Ironically enough, Martin Luther did not want to split from the Catholic Church, instead he wanted to reform it, and his followers were called Lutherans as an insult.

Last edited:
No.
There is no one church. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. When people say "the church," they include all denominations. i.e. "the church today is supposed to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth" (one of them, unfortunately, is true, but not in the symbolic way it's meant). However, you implied that Lutherism was fighting against catholicism. A denomination that, at the time, was a very controlling one.

...not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.
"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Basically, fellowship and teaching are important to the Lord. Church is [supposed to be] about ______ and _______.
Word bank:
Fellowship
Teaching
Edit: Double post, my b.

Will proceed to smash the like button.
As a lutheran, and I can say this confidently, I don't hate Catholics. Some Lutherans do hate Catholics, but no, Lutheranism is not at odds with the Catholic Church, we just believe in some things that Catholics don't like the pope or the saints. Ironically enough, Martin Luther did not want to split from the Catholic Church, instead he wanted to reform it, and his followers were called Lutherans as an insult.
It is good to see the that someone has some understanding of how things happened with Lutheranism.

I am confused though, your sentence seem to be implying that Catholics don't believe in the Pope or saints?

No.

Word bank:
Fellowship
Teaching
If I’m mistaken then it’s my bad. I haven’t actually done the research in lutherism. I know it’s actually a specifically rebellion to the Catholic Church in general. However it doesn’t change the fact that faith in itself was advocated by Luther. In regards to salvation.

Protestant Reformation Martin Luther

You don’t need to look far to find this in itself. Catholicism and Lutherism or is it Protestantism? Who knows, are diverging belief. Perhaps you should cite your sources if you don’t think luther was against the church.

I don’t know what these passages are for.

It is good to see the that someone has some understanding of how things happened with Lutheranism.

I am confused though, your sentence seem to be implying that Catholics don't believe in the Pope or saints?

Ohhhh, my bad. Let me edit that. I'm mobile so my b.

I'm not really religious but I've seen some rather 'uneducated opinions', I won't waste my time here explaining (since these forums consist of more or less passive agressive statements between people and my temper flares rather fast.) I just want to share the words of my favourite Turko-Persian Poet and thelogian.

“Christian, Jew, Muslim, shaman, Zoroastrian, stone, ground, mountain, river, each has a secret way of being with the mystery, unique and not to be judged”

Mevlânâ Celâleddîn Rumî

The three main branches of Abrahamism (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) the billion different subbranches of each, and the infighting between them is one of many reasons why I can't help but look at the whole mess in disbelief (That's a pun. Get it?)

If I’m mistaken then it’s my bad. I haven’t actually done the research in lutherism. I know it’s actually a specifically rebellion to the Catholic Church in general. However it doesn’t change the fact that faith in itself was advocated by Luther. In regards to salvation.

Protestant Reformation Martin Luther

You don’t need to look far to find this in itself. Catholicism and Lutherism or is it Protestantism?
Yeah. I googled the word protestant.
Protestantism is a form of Christianity which originated with the Reformation,[a] a movement against what its followers considered to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church.[1] It is one of the three major divisions of Christendom, together with Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy.[2][3] The term derives from the letter of protestation from German Lutheran princes in 1529 against an edict of the Diet of Speyer condemning the teachings ofMartin Luther as heretical.[4]

Lutherism falls under protestant churches.
Same with the Church of England,
Baptists,
Methodists,
Non-denominationals,
etc.

It was Luther saying that what the Bible actually says and much of what Roman Catholics taught in those days weren't actually in line.
So it was like
iLutherTV CONTENT COP - Roman Catholic Church.

I haven’t actually done the research
Perhaps you should cite your sources if you don’t think luther was against the church.[
^This I just found funny; if you don't that's fine.
I don’t know what these passages are for.
Attending church is not core to all Christian belief.
^

Last edited:
Having a differing opinion from and being against something are not synonyms
The topic is core Christian values. Luther didn’t want to have to pay for salvation(see indulgences). He believed in faith alone. You’ve yet to name a core Christian value. Something I need to know before calling you a bunch of silly willies.

But have fun with your happy fun time.

The topic is core Christian values. Luther didn’t want to have to pay for salvation(see indulgences). He believed in faith alone. You’ve yet to name a core Christian value. Something I need to know before calling you a bunch of silly willies.

But have fun with your happy fun time.
Well, one of the major ones is right there in the name: Christ and christ's teachings.

edits: I also want to point out that there aren't many "christian" values to speak of, hence the intense differences between churches and my claim that you should go and see what each church believen in. To which I proceeded to indicate the Apostle's creed

Yeah. I googled the word protestant.
Protestantism is a form of Christianity which originated with the Reformation,[a] a movement against what its followers considered to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church.[1] It is one of the three major divisions of Christendom, together with Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy.[2][3] The term derives from the letter of protestation from German Lutheran princes in 1529 against an edict of the Diet of Speyer condemning the teachings ofMartin Luther as heretical.[4]

Lutherism falls under protestant churches.
Same with the Church of England,
Baptists,
Methodists,
Non-denominationals,
etc.

It was Luther saying that what the Bible actually says and much of what Roman Catholics taught in those days weren't actually in line.
So it was like
iLutherTV CONTENT COP - Roman Catholic Church.

And unlike Shia and Sunni, we're not planning to kill each other when we run across each other on the street (<exaggeration for comedic effect but point remains)

^This I just found funny; if you don't that's fine.

^
Silly sano. Go ahead and dodge the question. At this point I should call you neo. Have a good day.

Still not in Vancouver, but I can do short bits.

Not all Christians would agree with the Nicene creed; some were banished during the goings on of that whole thing, and some of its conclusions may partly have been to make the religion easier to swallow (getting rid of mandatory circumcision, for example.)
There's the dioce- diode-do- Watch Extra Credits, he talks about it. A branch of Christianity that believed/believes Christ was a spirit who appeared mortal, rather than actually being mortal. They were not well liked.
Then there's the Aryans, who were fucked over during the many church squabbles into being declared heretics. Later a major member (related to the emperor) returning to officially have the belief pardoned and have his rival banished.
There's those who rejected the holy Trinity, seeing god and Jesus as the same person.
Essentially, the Nicene Creed does not represent all Christians, and there would be quite a lot of argument in saying it represents the core CHRISTIAN values rather than specifically catholic.

As for Martin Luther, he wasn't anti-catholic. He was specifically against the greed that was rampant in the church ('the' in this case referring to the pope and his churches in Christendom,) and many of its practices. The biggest being that whole 'pay for forgiveness' thing. He hated that. In his 95 theses he wasn't against the pope as a concept (as far as I saw, anyway, in a short and quick read,) but he was against what Catholics let the pope have power over. To give an example, one of his theses were specifically that the Pope does not have the divine authority to forgive sins - Only god himself can do that.

To the best of my knowledge, the commonality between branches of Christianity is belief in the Holy Trinity, and by extension belief in Jesus and his teachings. Most everything else is either residual from it's Jewish origins, or varies between branches (both what is taught and what is emphasized as important). At the point where it stops elevating Jesus as the third branch of the Trinity, it becomes separate from Christianity. Whether or not the individual groups accept each other is another matter, and opinion often varies on an even smaller scale between churches. (By churches, I mean individual churches/congregations)

So the core beliefs of Christianity are therefore the teachings of Christ. Not all those teachings are unique to Christianity of course, and there's some variation in interpretation and translation, but all the other stuff is part of not Christian religions so it doesn't really feel accurate to say there's a different core belief that is the center of it all. That would mean redefining what constitutes Christianity, which many individual branches might not be particularly happy about.

My own knowledge of the three Abrahamic religions' dynamics can be summed up as such:

Abraham showed up one day and was all like "Yo dudes, my god is super sick! You should totally worship him!" And the Jews were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Then Jesus showed up and said "Yo dudes, we're getting really gnarly. We should worship god like this and be super chill!" And the Christians were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Then Mohammed showed up and was all like "Yo dudes, check out my sick jams over here with the hypest god doctrine ever!" And the Muslims were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Throughout all this, the fandoms had their rivalries, as fandoms are prone to doing.

The Jews looked at the Christians and the Muslims and were all like "You hipsters don't know what real religion is. We were here before it got popular. Get off my lawn!"

The Christians looked at the Jews and the Muslims and were all like "You guys! You guys! The Jesus is totally rad you guys! Why aren't you praying to him? Yo totally should if you don't want to be super lame!"

And the Muslims looked at the Jews and the Christians and were all like "Pft, you obsolete old farts wouldn't know a god if it bit you in the ass. Muhammed is the new hotness, not your old busted faiths!"

And then they all tired to murder each other, happily ever after.

...wait what?

(some creative interpretation may have taken place for the nuanced and complex histories of the three faiths)

huehuehuehue

religion is bad.
flame yourself bitches.
Burning+Priest.jpg

My own knowledge of the three Abrahamic religions' dynamics can be summed up as such:

Abraham showed up one day and was all like "Yo dudes, my god is super sick! You should totally worship him!" And the Jews were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Then Jesus showed up and said "Yo dudes, we're getting really gnarly. We should worship god like this and be super chill!" And the Christians were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Then Mohammed showed up and was all like "Yo dudes, check out my sick jams over here with the hypest god doctrine ever!" And the Muslims were all like "Alright, sure." And they did.

Throughout all this, the fandoms had their rivalries, as fandoms are prone to doing.

The Jews looked at the Christians and the Muslims and were all like "You hipsters don't know what real religion is. We were here before it got popular. Get off my lawn!"

The Christians looked at the Jews and the Muslims and were all like "You guys! You guys! The Jesus is totally rad you guys! Why aren't you praying to him? Yo totally should if you don't want to be super lame!"

And the Muslims looked at the Jews and the Christians and were all like "Pft, you obsolete old farts wouldn't know a god if it bit you in the ass. Muhammed is the new hotness, not your old busted faiths!"

And then they all tired to murder each other, happily ever after.

...wait what?

(some creative interpretation may have taken place for the nuanced and complex histories of the three faiths)

I just laughed so hard.

Why can't we all just get along?

Still not in Vancouver, but I can do short bits.

Not all Christians would agree with the Nicene creed; some were banished during the goings on of that whole thing, and some of its conclusions may partly have been to make the religion easier to swallow (getting rid of mandatory circumcision, for example.)
There's the dioce- diode-do- Watch Extra Credits, he talks about it. A branch of Christianity that believed/believes Christ was a spirit who appeared mortal, rather than actually being mortal. They were not well liked.
Then there's the Aryans, who were fucked over during the many church squabbles into being declared heretics. Later a major member (related to the emperor) returning to officially have the belief pardoned and have his rival banished.
There's those who rejected the holy Trinity, seeing god and Jesus as the same person.
Essentially, the Nicene Creed does not represent all Christians, and there would be quite a lot of argument in saying it represents the core CHRISTIAN values rather than specifically catholic.

As for Martin Luther, he wasn't anti-catholic. He was specifically against the greed that was rampant in the church ('the' in this case referring to the pope and his churches in Christendom,) and many of its practices. The biggest being that whole 'pay for forgiveness' thing. He hated that. In his 95 theses he wasn't against the pope as a concept (as far as I saw, anyway, in a short and quick read,) but he was against what Catholics let the pope have power over. To give an example, one of his theses were specifically that the Pope does not have the divine authority to forgive sins - Only god himself can do that.
Well, yeah of course not. I don't anyone was saying all christians go by that creed, I said Catholics do

Well, yeah of course not. I don't anyone was saying all christians go by that creed, I said Catholics do
Apologies. I think I was a bit confused by this bit in your conversation with Bacon:
The cannon, as established by the churches. Individual believers will fragment things further, but a church's core beliefs re the thing that unites those of that particular church, and the ones that need to be known before making a judgment on that rhuch's particular beliefs. I'll get you the exact list of the catholic 's in an air as soon as I can find that word
It was a mix of bacon asking for general christian beliefs, and i read the response in a mix of sometimes a general claim and sometimes a specific claim on Catholicism. I probably did just misread though, so my bad there. I think the issue on my part was most likely that I kept thinking of the Catholic Church when I read "the churches."

> posts a thread about the most divisive topic in the world
> replies just enough to get people angry
> leaves, probably watches the ensuing chaos
Captain Gabriel Captain Gabriel While I agree with the basic message of your post, the sheer lack of intelligence and empathy displayed in your actions is just... disappointing. Doing or saying something as a "troll" doesn't make you seem any less intellectually challenged (in fact, it makes you seem even *more* bland and dopey), and it doesn't make what you did funny or okay. I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you realize this sooner rather than later.

> posts a thread about the most divisive topic in the world
> replies just enough to get people angry
> leaves, probably watches the ensuing chaos
Captain Gabriel Captain Gabriel While I agree with the basic message of your post, the sheer lack of intelligence and empathy displayed in your actions is just... disappointing. Doing or saying something as a "troll" doesn't make you seem any less intellectually challenged (in fact, it makes you seem even *more* bland and dopey), and it doesn't make what you did funny or okay. I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you realize this sooner rather than later.
It's actually hilarious because it's evolved from a flame war to an intelligent discussion.
And no one besides OP has straight-up attacked anyone or anyone's beliefs yet, subtly or openly.

It's actually hilarious because it's evolved from a flame war to an intelligent discussion.
And no one besides OP has straight-up attacked anyone or anyone's beliefs yet, subtly or openly.
Hahaha, I know, right?! Maybe that's the real reason OP left- y'all weren't falling for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back