News are any of yall worried about Ukraine?

Not to mention, if NATO and Russia went to war, eventually Russia would start losing. And knowing Putin, he isn't the type of person that's afraid to use such extreme measures. If he couldn't win, he wouldn't allow the West to win either.
That’s unfortunately true. It’s already been proven he’s trying to grasp as ally straws (IE: China and Belarus) but Putin has also teased at invading possibility Poland as a mission was barely 10 miles off from its border and the whole Chernobyl matter as he sent his troops to attack in and around it which could highly trigger a nuclear meltdown that would wipe half of Europe out as it would trigger out nuclear sites to go off.

That’s unfortunately true. It’s already been proven he’s trying to grasp as ally straws (IE: China and Belarus) but Putin has also teased at invading possibility Poland as a mission was barely 10 miles off from its border and the whole Chernobyl matter as he sent his troops to attack in and around it which could highly trigger a nuclear meltdown that would wipe half of Europe out as it would trigger out nuclear sites to go off.
That is not how nuclear 'sites' work. In addition, Russia has long since claimed dominion over Chernobyl. It did so within the first week.

That is not how nuclear 'sites' work. In addition, Russia has long since claimed dominion over Chernobyl. It did so within the first week.
No what I mean is a explosion depending how big it is can rock or create a chain reaction resulting in other possibilities of nuclear sites becoming active if they were once stable.

No what I mean is a explosion depending how big it is can rock or create a chain reaction resulting in other possibilities of nuclear sites becoming active if they were once stable.
Nuclear reactors are not nuclear bombs. It would require a nuclear missile of, and surpassing, Tsar Bomba to damage multple nuclear reactors, because nuclear reactors do not explode with that force. That or a coordinated nuclear MIRV strike, but you must note the fallout does not care about national boundaries. The worst meltdown ever was the Chernobyl, and all it blew was the top of the reactor house. The worst of it is the radiation which spreads along the air for miles upon miles. Across many nations. That is the worst of it, and it is bad.

Additionally, the return to previously stated:

No amount of posturing will detract from the fact that were Russia to invade anywhere else, not only would it be national and economic suicide, unrecoverable, they simply do not have the resources to. Especially not after being bogged down in Ukraine for far too long. The likelihood of Putin invading Poland is zero, because doing so will wage war on NATO.

Ah I see. I was always told with enough force that some nuclear sites can go into total meltdown depending on how close they are to the first one to kickstart a chain reaction.

It’s very unlikely for Putin to invade due to resources and NATO but it’s exactly determined yet there’s still a possibility just like anything else happening

Poland is tightening their border, and preparing for the worst. But we are not polish government, nor are we polish military. We have no obligation to worsen our moods by expecting World War 3.

But isn’t Poland a NATO ally? There’s a doctrine stating that if any country were to attack a NATO member then the committee would ultimately side with the victim to defend it. However this also poses a issue as I believe Russia was/is a NATO ally

But isn’t Poland a NATO ally? There’s a doctrine stating that if any country were to attack a NATO member then the committee would ultimately side with the victim to defend it. However this also poses a issue as I believe Russia was/is a NATO ally
NATO stone-faced Russian membership in most western international organizations, due to Soviet enmity. And you are correct, if Poland is invaded, NATO would be obligated by rule to defend it unilaterally. But Russia has not invaded Poland.

Ah. I was not sure about NATO and Russia as I know they have a voice in EU/UN

I was just saying -if- that doctrine would protect them which Russia isn’t too keen on having as they are facing heavy resistance from Ukraine

“Ah I see. I was always told with enough force that some nuclear sites can go into total meltdown depending on how close they are to the first one to kickstart a chain reaction.”

That might have been the case when nuclear power plants were first created, but the safeguards have moved on since then, including measures that can basically put the entire reactor core on lockdown, closing the isotope fuel rods out of the core, purging all the heat with coolant and even hardening the control systems against EMP damage.

Captain Hesperus

Nuclear power plants are extremely hard to even cause a meltdown anyway. With our modern technologies and security systems, being in a nuclear power plant is actually one of the safest places to be in. Hell, if there's a natural disaster nearby, it has systems for that. Although people point to things like Chernobyl, even though the Chernobyl station had almost none of the technology and safety precautions we have today and the Soviets poorly managed it. Although I do think when the Russians invaded Chernobyl, they were a bit careless about it. In fact, this war has been showing how weak Russia is. We always thought they were a big scary bear in the West, but in reality, they're just a nuclear-power paper bear. The only thing it really has going for it is its nuclear arsenal. But even that's outdated.

Russia will undoubtedly win the war, but its economy will be destroyed and would take decades to recover, even with economic aid and support from China. Not to mention the decades of resistance in Ukraine, which you can already see the Ukrainian government is preparing. Teaching Ukrainians how to back Molotov Cocktails, giving out arms, etc. Also, this war did the opposite of what Russia wanted. They wanted to stop NATO expansion, but now more nations are starting to side with NATO. Even neutral nations like Sweden and Finland, are receiving higher support for NATO membership. Ultimately, this war just weakened Russia and gave a new reason to justify NATO's existence.

And that's the irony of it all. Really, NATO wasn't going to last long until this war broke out. NATO itself is an outdated system from the Cold War, with no real purpose ever since the Soviet Union and its Eastern Bloc collapsed. NATO simply didn't have a reason to exist anymore. And I believe that over time, it would slowly dissolve itself. Especially with the United States waking up to the fact that it's putting tons of funds into NATO, and yet most other NATO members fail to even reach the 2% spending limit. If Russia never invaded Ukraine, this problem would have worsened over time, and eventually, either some conservative with similar ideals to Trump (which is unlikely) gets into office and makes America leave NATO. Which would cause so many problems and so many chain reactions. Or, it would have just slowly collapsed. NATO would be replaced by regional alliances between former NATO members.

And then Russia invaded Ukraine. Now NATO has a real reason to continue its existence and because a threat of a Russian war popped up, NATO members' military spending increased dramatically. Members like Germany started passing bills that gave their military funding worth BILLIONS. So, this Russian invasion of Ukraine fixed both of NATO's main issues. Are there more issues with NATO? Yes, there are plenty. For example, the system itself really needs to be updated. But yeah, Russia really shot themselves in the foot.

No amount of technology at present will ease the chain reaction of a nuclear weapon targeting a nuclear reactor. That being said, such a situation is immensely unlikely, and not to be even thought about.

No amount of technology at present will ease the chain reaction of a nuclear weapon targeting a nuclear reactor. That being said, such a situation is immensely unlikely, and not to be even thought about.
Of course. I wasn't referring to that. If a nuclear weapon is dropped on a station, there's nothing really to stop it. I was just saying that nuclear power plants are usually pretty safe and have all sorts of protection against things like malfunctions and natural disasters.

Of course. I wasn't referring to that. If a nuclear weapon is dropped on a station, there's nothing really to stop it. I was just saying that nuclear power plants are usually pretty safe and have all sorts of protection against things like malfunctions and natural disasters.
Anything is safe so long as it is maintained. Unfortunately, money exists. But I digress.

NATO itself is an imperialist organization so it seems nobody wins regardless of what the outcome of this war is.

NATO itself is an imperialist organization so it seems nobody wins regardless of what the outcome of this war is.
Eh, I feel like calling NATO "imperialist" is an exaggeration. None of NATO's current members were forced into the organization, despite some people believing the CIA infiltrated former Soviet-controlled nations when there's plenty of evidence to support that such a thing never happened. Former Soviet and Eastern Bloc nations were abused and economically underdeveloped under the Soviet regime. Their citizens had few rights and freedoms. After these nations gained independence, they wanted to join NATO to ensure they would never face such horrors again.

NATO simply had its doors wide open. It's far from "Imperialist", and there's no evidence to suggest it has committed anything related to imperialism. In fact, if NATO was really imperialist, then why do most members fail to meet the military spending requirement, which is 2% of their GDP? If it was truly imperialist, these nations would be forced to maintain this requirement. Yet, they aren't. NATO has every right to accept nations that wish to join the organization, it has a right to expand as long as it isn't forced. What Russia is doing to Ukraine is imperialist. An unprovoked attack against the Ukrainian people, in order to benefit the Russian government. That's imperialism.

Eh, I feel like calling NATO "imperialist" is an exaggeration. None of NATO's current members were forced into the organization, despite some people believing the CIA infiltrated former Soviet-controlled nations when there's plenty of evidence to support that such a thing never happened. Former Soviet and Eastern Bloc nations were abused and economically underdeveloped under the Soviet regime. Their citizens had few rights and freedoms. After these nations gained independence, they wanted to join NATO to ensure they would never face such horrors again.

NATO simply had its doors wide open. It's far from "Imperialist", and there's no evidence to suggest it has committed anything related to imperialism. In fact, if NATO was really imperialist, then why do most members fail to meet the military spending requirement, which is 2% of their GDP? If it was truly imperialist, these nations would be forced to maintain this requirement. Yet, they aren't. NATO has every right to accept nations that wish to join the organization, it has a right to expand as long as it isn't forced. What Russia is doing to Ukraine is imperialist. An unprovoked attack against the Ukrainian people, in order to benefit the Russian government. That's imperialism.
It wishes to force "western values" on the world, which is just code for neoliberal capitalism. Sounds pretty imperialistic to me.

It wishes to force "western values" on the world, which is just code for neoliberal capitalism. Sounds pretty imperialistic to me.
You mean the Western values of... what, not attacking your neighbors? My country joined because it felt unsafe, after twenty years of Russian occupation. It's been proved again and again and again that this feeling was justified, not only due to what is happening in Ukraine now, but thanks to literal terrorist attacks committed by Russian terrorists. (I doubt you actually know about it because my country is too small and unimportant, but feel free to look up information about the ammunition warehouse in Vrbětice.) The truth is that, throughout history, Russia has always been an aggressor and no amount of fingerpointing at other nations will change that. They're a literal empire, too, btw. (And I'm not saying America isn't imperialist, either. These two things can be both true at the same time and it's SHOCKING how so many people act like it cannot be possible.)

edit: changed some repeating words

You mean the Western values of... what, not attacking your neighbors? My country joined because it felt unsafe, after twenty years of Russian occupation. It's been proved again and again and again that this feeling was justified, not only due to what is happening in Ukraine now, but thanks to literal terrorist attacks committed by Russian terrorists. (I doubt you actually know about it because my country is too small and unimportant, but feel free to look up information about the ammunition warehouse in Vrbětice.) The truth is that, throughout history, Russia has always been an aggressor and no amount of fingerpointing at other nations will change that. They're a literal empire, too, btw. (And I'm not saying America isn't imperialist, either. These two things can be both true at the same time and it's SHOCKING how so many people act like it cannot be possible.)

edit: changed some repeating words
Why are you assuming I'm pro-Russia in this conflict? I'm not.

Also, I've been to the Czech Republic and am literally of Eastern European descent so it's funny for you to assume I don't know the region. Just saying.

Why are you not replying to my actual questions? Please, explain how wanting to defend ourselves is imperialistic or forcing our values on others.
You can feel free to disagree all you want, but I just don't see how forcing capitalism on people is defense. Capitalism destroys millions of lives, including my own. There's obviously no easy solution to that, but getting cozy with the biggest imperialist empire in the modern world is not a solution. Again, this is just my opinion.

Okay. Just going to say that those of us in the west need to listen to Eastern European voices right now. Treating the war in Ukraine as "NATO + US vs. Russia fighting for influence in the region" is extremely west-centric and implicitly casts Eastern Europe as a play thing for these empires. In no way am I saying we need to stop criticising the US or NATO, but arguments that NATO exists only to expand the west's interests takes away the autonomy of Eastern European countries and their right to determine for themselves what alliances to join or not join. Again, not ignoring the US's tendency to meddle, but that kind of argument ignores that Eastern Europe has a bloody history with the Soviet Union. Eastern Europe, not NATO or the US, are the ones who have lived under this threat. There is a reason that NATO is favorable in Eastern Europe when you acknowledge this history. There is a reason Eastern European countries sought out membership with NATO. NATO didn't expand magically into Eastern Europe. It happened intentionally due to a history of oppression, violence, and the desire to secure sovereignty.

Okay. Just going to say that those of us in the west need to listen to Eastern European voices right now. Treating the war in Ukraine as "NATO + US vs. Russia fighting for influence in the region" is extremely west-centric and implicitly casts Eastern Europe as a play thing for these empires. In no way am I saying we need to stop criticising the US or NATO, but arguments that NATO exists only to expand the west's interests takes away the autonomy of Eastern European countries and their right to determine for themselves what alliances to join or not join. Again, not ignoring the US's tendency to meddle, but that kind of argument ignores that Eastern Europe has a bloody history with the Soviet Union. Eastern Europe, not NATO or the US, are the ones who have lived under this threat. There is a reason that NATO is favorable in Eastern Europe when you acknowledge this history. There is a reason Eastern European countries sought out membership with NATO. NATO didn't expand magically into Eastern Europe. It happened intentionally due to a history of oppression, violence, and the desire to secure sovereignty.
I don't live in Eastern Europe, but I am of Eastern European background (both Ukrainian and Russian if you must know) so I think I do have a place to speak here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back