News are any of yall worried about Ukraine?

PatriasLover

Vive la Republique!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
hey guys. as you know, putin is being an arse. and we're worried. all of us. so, i created this to provide a place for all of us to chat. I'm not sure if this site is meant to be a-political, if so, i apologise, but... this has got me really worried and i'd like to have someone to talk to.

Yeah, most definitely! I mean, I’ve been following this only for a short while (I’m not a political person, but I’ve seen it in the news), but I feel like I’m witnessing the beginning of WWIII. My main concern is if nothing/no one decides to interfere, Putin could just expand his scope to neighbouring countries like Belarus. I’m hoping Ukraine makes it out alright. Definitely sending solidarity to Ukraine.

Not sure if I accidentally walked in on a restricted group discuss but I’m mainly worried that Putin is trying to pull a modern Hitler by slowly pushing into other countries then as it was stated by the news frame Ukraine for supposed attacks. (Which they did) to launch a reason for ‘peacekeeping’ as he called it. What I mainly am concerned about is the subject of nuclear warfare and how it will be in modern day as Russia has the capability to really do some damage if they wanted to get extremely dirty in terms of warfare play.

Eastern European here, and yeah, I am. Nobody wants a neo-USSR, but Putin has already pretty much declared that these are his intentions. What's happening in Ukraine rn is basically the exact same scenario as what happened with Sudetenland before the WWII broke out, and... yeah. We all know how that worked out. Fun times ahead, I guess.

Eastern European here, and yeah, I am. Nobody wants a neo-USSR, but Putin has already pretty much declared that these are his intentions. What's happening in Ukraine rn is basically the exact same scenario as what happened with Sudetenland before the WWII broke out, and... yeah. We all know how that worked out. Fun times ahead, I guess.
NATO from what I know is trying to prevent that from happening but they aren’t doing it quick enough. Freezing some banks won’t stop a massive country like Russia they in my opinion need to be on the front lines to actively prevent a modern WW2

NATO from what I know is trying to prevent that from happening but they aren’t doing it quick enough. Freezing some banks won’t stop a massive country like Russia they in my opinion need to be on the front lines to actively prevent a modern WW2
Yeah I mean, with our history of getting fucked over by literally all of our allies literally every single time in modern history, I don't know how much I believe that they will actually do something meaningful for once. (Spoiler alert: not much.) This is my pessimism speaking for sure, but I really am not holding my breath.

Yeah I mean, with our history of getting fucked over by literally all of our allies literally every single time in modern history, I don't know how much I believe that they will actually do something meaningful for once. (Spoiler alert: not much.) This is my pessimism speaking for sure, but I really am not holding my breath.
Yeah I agree. They don’t actively do something until it’s too late by some miracle they are actually doing something now to try and slow down the conflict but I won’t be surprised if they did another Hitler situation. ‘Oh you want that? You can’t- oh you took it just no more’ *not even 3 days later* ‘you took more territory?!’

I'm super worried... It's been on my mind for awhile now.
It racks my brain how these world leaders are basically sitting idle at both the Ukraine crisis and the Uygher genocide going on right now. A part of me is still hopeful NATO decides to do something. I know the U.S. can more than easily do something, but it's all a money/politics game especially when distressed population and land are involved. Syntra Syntra I am so sorry you have to deal with this closer to home.

Genuinely worried but I don't know enough about what is happening. The whole of the EU is at war and I don't trust the UK gov here to not make matters worse somehow...

Crazy stuff. Reminds me too much of September 1st, 1939. History is doomed to repeat itself.

Nuclear war is not going to happen for precisely the same reason it did not happen during the Cold War: Mutually assured destruction. Just bringing that up since it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. I also don't think this is going to be an international conflict either.

I should also point out that Russians don't really want this war either. There's been protests all over Russia against it. This whole thing is literally just Putin going on a power trip. He's an oligarch with interest in power and control, little else. I don't even think he has a political ideology beyond just "make myself powerful".

I guess it also goes without saying, especially with this crowd, but one can be critical of Russian politics without being Russophobic. Since yesterday I've seen at least a few people make remarks like "the only good Russian is a dead Russian". As someone of Russian (and German) descent remarks like that do affect people like me personally. I have nothing against Ukrainians. Hell, my half-brother's family is Ukrainian.

Yes I agree it's unfair to refer to all of Russia when talking about this. It's just Putin - no one else. Wait what the hell did someone really say that... (the xenophobic remarks). Using the term "Russians" when referring to these heinous acts is irresponsible. I feel bad for everyone involved. Seems like Putin is threatening Finland and other Scandinavian countries now about NATO :(

I've always doubted the return of any sort of nuclear warfare, but any war is terrible.
By not thinking it will be an "international conflict" do you mean you don't think places like the U.S. are going to step in? Jannah Jannah

Yes I agree it's unfair to refer to all of Russia when talking about this. It's just Putin - no one else. Wait what the hell did someone really say that... (the xenophobic remarks). Using the term "Russians" when referring to these heinous acts is irresponsible. I feel bad for everyone involved. Seems like Putin is threatening Finland and other Scandinavian countries now about NATO :(

I've always doubted the return of any sort of nuclear warfare, but any war is terrible.
By not thinking it will be an "international conflict" do you mean you don't think places like the U.S. are going to step in? Jannah Jannah
I mean that it probably won't be WW III like so many are claiming it will be. Probably just some sort of proxy war, sort of like how Syria has been.

Yeah, most definitely! I mean, I’ve been following this only for a short while (I’m not a political person, but I’ve seen it in the news), but I feel like I’m witnessing the beginning of WWIII. My main concern is if nothing/no one decides to interfere, Putin could just expand his scope to neighbouring countries like Belarus. I’m hoping Ukraine makes it out alright. Definitely sending solidarity to Ukraine.

Belarus is already, for all intents and purposes, russian hegemony.

This matter, the Ukraine war, will not escalate beyond Ukraine. And I can guarantee you that. No nation on Earth is willing to commit to "WW3." No one on this planet, not even Kim Jong-Un, are equally willing to nuke any other nation's people either. Whether a city, or a single farmhouse.

I will also state that no European nation, no foreign nation whatsoever, will send forces to Ukraine. The most they will do is supply weapons.

I can explain all the reasons for this at length, if anyone wishes for it.

Last edited:

This matter, the Ukraine war, will not escalate beyond Ukraine. And I can guarantee you that. No nation on Earth is willing to commit to "WW3." No one on this planet, not even Kim Jong-Un, are equally willing to nuke any other nation's people either. Whether a city, or a single farmhouse.
This is true. North Korea has nukes, but would never actually use them. They mostly have them to deter other countries from invading them. They literally just want to be left alone. I think the media underestimates just how isolationist North Korea is.

As for Belarus and Ukraine, yes Belarus and Russia are allies. Lukashenko and Putin are actually very similar in many ways. If there was a war that spread beyond Ukraine's borders then Belarus absolutely would side with Russia.

This is true. North Korea has nukes, but would never actually use them. They mostly have them to deter other countries from invading them. They literally just want to be left alone. I think the media underestimates just how isolationist North Korea is.

As for Belarus and Ukraine, yes Belarus and Russia are allies. Lukashenko and Putin are actually very similar in many ways. If there was a war that spread beyond Ukraine's borders then Belarus absolutely would side with Russia.

Belarus is already siding with Russia. Russian military crossed into northern Ukraine through their border. Certain news sources also state they are sending their own forces to supplement that aforementioned front.

I will also state that no European nation, no foreign nation whatsoever, will send forces to Ukraine. The most they will do is supply weapons.

Thanks for sharing your input! I’m not knowledgable in world politics or history so I actually do appreciate that insight. Forgive my ignorance, it’s something that my friends were discussing so I thought to mirror that conversation.

Thanks for sharing your input! I’m not knowledgable in world politics or history so I actually do appreciate that insight. Forgive my ignorance, it’s something that my friends were discussing so I thought to mirror that conversation.

There is nothing to forgive. All I wished to do was ensure you that your worries were unfounded. Though, not that the actual situation is particularly enjoyable either.

Belarus is already siding with Russia. Russian military crossed into northern Ukraine through their border. Certain news sources also state they are sending their own forces to supplement that aforementioned front.
Really I just think the situation will just become similar to Syria's, as I mentioned above. There will be war and multiple countries will be involved, but it won't really spread beyond Ukrainian borders. We will also likely see a Ukrainian refugee crisis as we did a Syrian refugee crisis. Except the western world will be more welcoming of Ukrainian refugees since they're whiter than Syrians. There's been a lot of racism surrounding the Syrian refugee crisis.

Really I just think the situation will just become similar to Syria's, as I mentioned above. There will be war and multiple countries will be involved, but it won't really spread beyond Ukrainian borders. We will also likely see a Ukrainian refugee crisis as we did a Syrian refugee crisis. Except the western world will be more welcoming of Ukrainian refugees since they're whiter than Syrians. There's been a lot of racism surrounding the Syrian refugee crisis.

Undeniably true.

However, as it is in Europe, it is, by nature, different.

If for no other reason than being in Europe.

Either the war will flash quickly, and be over. Or it will drag on. And if it does drag on, trust that the EU will pump Ukraine full of weapons.

I think it's a rather horrible situation. Putin needs to leave them alone.

I worry for the people in Ukraine the most. I wish for their safety and I wish there was more I could do.

Personally, I'm really concerned about Ukraine. And what I'm really concerned about is sending troops into Ukraine. I'm American, and there's been some calls to send troops into Ukraine. It's likely never going to actually happen, but if it somehow does, that's the start of WW3. And WW3 will end in a nuclear blast.

Although Ukraine is putting up a bigger resistance to the invasion than Russia expected. Which is good. But it's clear Ukraine won't win. With Belarus now joining war, it opened a new front. And that new front happens to be right by where most of Ukraine's military aid is going through. If that's cut off, it's basically over. Ukraine's best bet is to last as long as possible. With the Russian economy collapsing, all they need to do is simply hold out longer and they could negotiate a peace with the Russians after the Russian economy completely collapses.

Personally, I'm really concerned about Ukraine. And what I'm really concerned about is sending troops into Ukraine. I'm American, and there's been some calls to send troops into Ukraine. It's likely never going to actually happen, but if it somehow does, that's the start of WW3. And WW3 will end in a nuclear blast.

Although Ukraine is putting up a bigger resistance to the invasion than Russia expected. Which is good. But it's clear Ukraine won't win. With Belarus now joining war, it opened a new front. And that new front happens to be right by where most of Ukraine's military aid is going through. If that's cut off, it's basically over. Ukraine's best bet is to last as long as possible. With the Russian economy collapsing, all they need to do is simply hold out longer and they could negotiate a peace with the Russians after the Russian economy completely collapses.
Even if the US sent troops nukes would not go off. Are you familiar with MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction)?

Even if the US sent troops nukes would not go off. Are you familiar with MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction)?
Yes, I am. But there's a issue. Once WW3 starts, nuclear war would be inevitable. For example;

The Soviets had a plan that if WW3 broke out, basically they wanted to get to the Rhine River in 7 days. But it also involved multiple nuclear strikes on several nations like Austria, West Germany, etc.

I understand what you're trying to say about MAD, but if a conflict like WW3 breaks out, anything is on the table. If the Soviets had planned to use nuclear force, god knows what Russia's plan is.

Not to mention, if NATO and Russia went to war, eventually Russia would start losing. And knowing Putin, he isn't the type of person that's afraid to use such extreme measures. If he couldn't win, he wouldn't allow the West to win either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back