• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Arcadia: Heroes World Brave

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"What are you talking about?" Sasha asked, brow furrowing. "I vaguely know what some of those acronyms mean, but I don't know what a Souls Light game is..."

As the VTOL tore through the sky, Klaus typed furiously at a holographic display generated by a small bracelet nestled beside his Chrono-Dialer. He was rewriting the programming of his Zeittasche and delving into the firmware, "Come on, just link!" He muttered as a simulated experiment caused a red X to fill the translucent blue holo-display. "No? Fine, then what about this?" He sighed, clicking the "enter" key. Data flowed across the screen, and various check marks appeared at the end of the tendrils of ellipses. He felt a bead of sweat drip down the side of his face as the cursor blinked, almost mockingly, before a green checkmark filled the display. Klaus sighed with a smile and relaxed into his chair as the VTOL slowed, Anthem City coming into view, and with it, the acrid smell of smoke twinged with the smell of decay. Klaus had to take a deep breath to avoid gagging. "Something tells me we're not leaving this city the same way we've arrived, and no, I don't mean our mode of transportation..."

• Richard Mackenzie Title.png

Los Angeles, California: March 25th, 2045 - 8:15am

Richard hadn't heard his phone vibrate on the way back to the condo he was renting in LA, paid for, of course, by George Carlisle. Back upstairs in his apartment, he was quickly pulling tactical bags open as he quickly began stuffing his suit in one of them, and a large assortment of his firearms into another. He was hoping that The Brave would pick him up on the way there, or else he'd have to rely on driving, but that was gonna mean hours of the conflict would go by...

As Richard inspected his firearms, and piled up boxes of ammo in the bags, he could feel his chest tightening, skin tingling as he felt a fluttering in his stomach.

It was something he refused to acknowledge to himself, because admitting that would be to admit something might truly be fundamentally wrong with him.

Richard would just have to opt to pretend it was the side effects of being the White Death, fueled by righteous rage.

He finally checked his phone for responses, and saw Chizuki's first.

Got anything in mind that'll get us there in less than 7 hours?

After that, he texted her his location. If it's something you can do, meet me on the roof.

Before he left the room, he took a last look around, seeing his old Lee Enfield resting on the bed. He was going to leave it, but something tugging at him from the inside made him change his mind. Richard grabbed the antique rifle, stuffing it into the bag, and hurrying to the roof of the condo.

• How she's feeling...

Oh boy there's more fleshy zombies, wowza.

Yukisa

-----

An audible snicker sneaks out of Yukisa’s lips after she receives Richard’s text. She finally gets to use another form she has been perfecting recently: That of a gas just above its boiling point so that it is cold enough for her to turn into with it still being gaseous. Utilizing this form will let her essentially fly.

“Should I tell him what I am going to do?...”

She shakes her head, “No,no. It should be a surprise!”

Yukisa maps how far she is from Richard’s location, which turns out to be only 12 miles.

She slips her phone into her backpack.

Yukisa walks out the door of the hotel then walks down into an alleyway and changes into very cold oxygen.

Last time Yukisa did this, she tested how fast she could go. With no weights upon her it was just above 187 mph by a hair, with substantial weight it was bumped down to 175mph. Likely with her backpack it will be about 180 mph.

Yukisa wooshes away.

About 4 minutes later, Richard is greeted with a very cold rush of wind passing by him as Yukisa materializes.

“Hello Richard. Ready to take a frosty flight with me?”

♡coded by uxie♡

Albert stood up and did one final stretch before exiting the VTOL. The streets below were part of an intense battle between the two forces - as Albert peered over the edge, one particularly gunky beast tore one of the red soldiers in half.

"Let's real quick just designate these two," Albert suggested. "Red Army for the one side? Uh and maybe Abominations for the other? Anyway, I'm gonna let them know we're here."

Albert took a deep breath and leaped from the side of the building. The monsters below didn't even bother looking up for the three seconds it took for him to make the dive, but they certainly paid attention after his impact splattered one of the abominations like a bug under a boot.

"Howdy," Albert said, grinning as he punched forward at the stunned Red Army. An explosion tore forward from his fist, blasting hot enough to leave red traces of heat on the cars nearby. The Red Army soldiers fared little better, shredding into pieces. Those who weren't struck by the blast found their equipment malfunctioning, sparking and hissing like they'd been struck by a miniature EMP blast.

The Red Army scattered back, but the abominations seemed to feel no fear as they rushed forward to take on the new enemy. Albert didn't mind. They hit him with blood, bone, fist and teeth in an attempt to break him. Instead, the monstrosities found themselves being literally torn to shreds by Albert's return punches. Several of them tried to get smart and hold him down, but again blasts of solar energy melted holes through their bodies, alighting afire what it didn't destroy.

About forty-five seconds after Albert leaped from the roof, the street was quiet.

"Clear!" Albert yelled up at the VTOL, wiping his face clean of blood and a few bits of guts.

Akiko had been prepared to be rejected and chastised but Sasha was surprisingly okay with her suggestion.

"I mean sure but explain yourself first," Akiko said in a serious tone as she unwrapped a strawberry lollipop. "Unless you weren't being serious."

Hudson didn't make any move to grab a glass, so Nina took both.

Extraction? Was that it? No, he was obviously just entertaining her. Her wife thought she was dead, after all. No, Hudson had absolutely no illusions that Peter Radovan actually gave a shit about this matter beyond his own amusement. Yet even so, his amusement could at least be useful for her.

"The red soldiers have occupied about six blocks around this factory here." She swiped left on the pad, bringing up an overhead view of the city of Anthem. "This used to be Anthem City Heavy Industries, one of the work sites set up to attract people into the city. It closed about a decade back, left a third of the city unemployed. Its supposed to be abandoned, but apparently someone decided to try their hand at adverse possession and moved in. That's where-" Hudson swiped back over to the news footage, showing the monsters battling against the attacking army. "-these guys likely came in. Apparently they repurposed the old machinery to manufacture these gross looking fuckers. They two sides have been fighting each other to a standstill for a few hours now. The factory seems to be the focus of the siege, so neither side has spread much further into the wider city. Probably why the locals haven't gotten involved yet."

"Is that not one of the locals?" Nina asked, throwing both empty glasses against the wall like Peter had.

Hudson looked back down at the screen, where the news camera had refocused to a man in a 1920's pilot cosplay punching air blasts at both sides.

"..................Maybe. I don't know." Hudson shook her head, waving her hand to get them back on track. "Look, the point is, things are still manageable right now. We can use this to sweep in, take out the commanders on both sides, and restore order. Even if the government doesn't give a shit about Anthem, I know for a fact SINS at least would want that factory."

Henry raised an eyebrow in horror as he began to step out of the VTOL and opened the hatch only to witness rows and rows of bodies exploding into volleys of red mist. "HOLD ON, HOLD ON!" Henry waved his hands. "If you're gonna roll with us, you can't just...slaughter your way down the street. Whatever they've done, those soldiers aren't mindless monsters. Can't you tone the energy output down and knock 'em out? And as for the actual monsters...if the reports about them spreading infection are true, we might have to do what we can. But if there's a way to reverse the effects at all, we should try to round them up somehow."

Henry put a hand to his chin. "Cobalt with his time tech and White Death with his ice ability could be useful in that regard.," He looked over to the others in the VTOL. "I'm gonna do a sweep and try to pinpoint any civilians present in this mess." He then hopped out of the VTOL and getting a running start from the building it had landed on, parkoured his way onto the second tallest rooftop he could spot.

On the way, he signaled Richard on his comm-link. "White Death, come in! Got an ETA on your arrival?"

"Uh, sure I can try," Albert said to Henry, shrugging. He didn't want to point out that mindless or not, they were actively shooting up a town with civilians in it. They weren't good people, at least not in his mind. But he supposed it wouldn't hurt to practice a little more control over his powers.

"Are you asking why I don't know games?" Sasha said, amused. "I mean, the simple answer is I was poor and worked a fishing boat while growing up. And then... well, I didn't really have time to play video games."

The corner of Akiko's lip twitched. She tried to maintain her composure but let out a small chuckle. It would be hypocritical otherwise.

"Not that, smart butt," she said with a shake of her head. "Though that begs the question, what did you do for fun?"

"Well I do enjoy fishing a lot," Sasha replied. "But I also ran quite a bit. Cross country for the most part. Was part of a few martial arts dojos as well."

"If my simulations can be trusted, I should be able to desync large groups of these soldiers or creatures at once," Klaus stated, flipping a Zeittasche between his fingers. "I amplified their Chronon absorption rate meaning one unit should be able to freeze multiple hostiles instead of one. Terrible time for a field test, but: you miss all the shots you don't take, or: there's no time like the present? Wait, no: the best time to plant a tree was yesterday, and the second best time is today." He rattled off the motivational phrases in quick succession, more an insight into his state of mind than any help.

"I can do a demonstration," Sasha said, nodding. "Although sambo is somewhat off the table since I'd require a partner. I did practice muay thai and karate as well, though it may take me a minute to remember them after my ARB training."

"I could be-" Akiko began but her body reminded her rather harshly that it wasn't fit for that yet. So instead, she focused on a different point.

"What's ARB?"

"Uh, whichever one suits this scenario best," Henry replied to Klaus over comms with a shrug. "Though I suppose, since Akiko's not here, it falls to me to point out that one of those, isn't a time pun!"

Henry dashed across rooftops, eyes peeled for any sign of innocents caught in the crosshairs of this madness. He had equipped with a sound detector. One of a handful of last minute gadgets from the support team that he rushed to equip before the mission began, a miniature radar device spinning around the end of it that would register any minuscule blip that could indicate the presence of a non-combattant. At first, it was mostly loud near-indecipherable noise.

Military jargon interspersed with bestial shrieks. The former could be useful to tune into later, but it wasn't his priority. He skidded to a halt mid-run as a cry rang across the sonar. Whispers amidst the shouting. Sounded like sobbing. A child, from the looks of it. And a woman's voice telling him, "Sshh." The way it sounded, it appeared that they were housed in the building across from where Henry stood.

Only problem was there was a patrol of that Red army marching through the streets. If they were to spot him or the civilians, he had no way of knowing how they'd react other than, that they would assuredly slow him down. He looked over, doing a quick head count of them all. Five in total. Not too bad.

The second of the items procured from the support team was a grappling hook. He wished it was something out of gadget wielding hero's arsenal. Something that could launch out of a gun and allow him to swing across buildings with ease. However, this was meant to be used by firefighters or other rescue workers and thus things would be rendered a little more complicated.

Thus after, making sure it was securely hooked into the edge of the rooftop., he let the rope fall down and he began to descend with it. Blaster in hand, he shot forth a volley of stun shots at the mercenaries below to incapacitate them before they'd realized he was there. Simple enough, but if he'd ran into those monsters, then well...he recalled how stun blasts did little to affect the creature that attacked the diner in Atlas City.

"Found a pair hiding in a building. I'm thinking if we get enough to fill the VTOL, we can take them to the closest evac zones, then move on to the next group.!" Henry relayed back to the others.

"It's a term for the hand-to-hand combat the Russian military uses, there's not a direct translation," Sasha explained. "Like most militaries, it mixes various arts together from around the world to form what they deem the most effective at incapacitation. It's one of the few things I enjoyed about my time in service to Russia."

Albert, who had climbed back up to the top of the building using the stairs, was catching his breath but responded to Henry all the same. "Roger that, I'll have the VTOL pick them up." He turned to the crew. "You heard that guys? Want me to pilot?" At the negative, Albert waved the VTOL off and turned back to Klaus & Lynne.

"So, look, despite what Henry said, I don't really have a stun mode," Albert said, sighing. "Klaus, how many can your devices freeze, and how long will it last? Or do we need a field test to be certain?"

"Was working with souls another thing you enjoyed?" Akiko asked as she sat back down on the ground and drew her knees to her chest. She let out a big yawn and felt her body settling into weariness once more. There was also a strange sense of stillness within her, as though the souls were all holding their breath, waiting. It wasn't like she hadn't noticed them behave much more reasonably but the direct cause of the change was much more obvious to her now. Even the Witchfinder's pull, being on Sasha's person still, was less volatile than before. "Not that I mind delving into your past, Sasha, but if I don't get caffeine injected into my blood, I might pass out again since the souls aren't doing their job of keeping me awake. Though, I have a faint, vague sense that's what you meant."

"Theoretically, anyone within a five-foot radius within three seconds of the device's activation and for however long I have the device active," Klaus rattled off. "Of course, we will find out just how accurate that theory is, best case scenario all goes according to plan. Worst case, I use many more individual units to slow down our enemies here," he shrugged.

"Well, let's get started I suppose," Albert said, getting up and nodding. "Let's get these things out of the city and back towards the factory."

"Hmm, I can't really say," Sasha said, glancing down at the Witchfinder's lantern with pursed lips. "Enjoy? Maybe not. But I do know a few things. But yes, let's get you some food. Albert shouldn't be the only one to enjoy the food today."

The cafeteria had been cleaned up since the days of their food fight. Akiko had no idea where that sprightly janitor had gone but the cafeteria staff were just as delightful. Chicken soup was what Akiko ordered to soothe her ailing soul. She plopped down on her seat and blew on it gently until it was tepid before eating it.

With a mouthful, she demanded, "Sho, exshplaim."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back