• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

LadyOfStars

Tu'er Shen the Rabbit God
Welcome! This Rp is part of the Isekai Hell world. If you'd like to join or would like more info, click here

This roleplay will focus on the characters' attempts to uncover the truth behind Arborhaven and its supposed deity, as well as the religious group that call the village home. Please include links to your character's sheets when making your introductory post.

Elvario Elvario

1653184146928.png

Arborhaven, a village famed for the gigantic tree that casts a deep shadow over the village. Arborhaven is also home to a religious group that worships Aegrizora, the giant tree as a deity that has been sealed away. The village recently finished hosting their festival, celebrating the tree and all that it has provided the village. The festival went well, even the appearance of slavers in the village didn't stop the citizens from their celebrating. While the slavers failed to capture their targets, there were still several missing persons reports filed the next day and in the days to follow the festival, with all of the missing people reportedly having attended the event. Normally there is one or two reports of missing people filed after the festival, but with recent cult activity around Ryke and the rise in missing people this year, the citizenry and the government are both looking for answers and hoping to see the missing people returned to their loved ones. To that end, adventurers have been hired by multiple parties to investigate the city of Arborhaven and its religious groups, and hopefully bring some peace to the brokenhearted.

Ceylan has been present in the village with the hopes of getting to learn more about the tree and its proposed divinity. He has been put up in a church belonging to the village's religious faction and been given texts to teach him about the trees past and the past of the village. Suspiciously enough this same group has refused to grant Ceylan access to the tree itself and its roots, where it is rumored the first shrine to the tree was built and still stands. The shrine could hold a vast wealth of knowledge about the tree and its first worshippers, as well as the fate that befell the supposed deity. No one from the faith will speak with Ceylan about the tree's roots and they refuse to share any knowledge with him that isn't already clearly stated in their texts.

The leaders of Arborhaven have openly declared the religious group a cult and have declared them enemies of the state until they can prove they are not part of the disappearances or the rise in cult activity around Ryke. Their hope is that the adventurer's guild will clear up this mess before more people go missing and they are forced to call in the Ryken military for aid.

Book of Rings
- Journal Entry #32 -
"The neighboring villages are still suffering from the devastation caused by the tremors. The village elders have sent our harvest out to help them recuperate, but no one thinks that it will be enough. I am just grateful that the quakes passed us by thanks to, Aegrizora. We felt the ground shake and watched everything outside of the town's borders shatter and fall, but we're all ok."
- End of Entry #32 -

The Sun Tree
- Chapter 24 -
Now that it had been nurtured by fae and mortal creatures alike, the sun's child, Aegrizora as it has named itself, has grown into a mighty giant. No one expected that falling drop of sunlight to sprout roots and become a deity, but the tree now overlooks and provides for the village. The wisest of the elders recant the days when they watered its meek roots as children and now they are dwarfed by it's smallest branches.
- Continued in Chapter 25 -

Arborhaven Poetry Collection
- The Dark Tree -
The Sun has turned from it's favored child
The favored child has turned from its children
Darkness is delivered like unto it
Smiles and open arms
- The text has been compromised and is no longer legible -

Attachments

• 1653184113229.png
    1653184113229.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 3
Ceylan

Ceylan sighed deeply, as he was writing notes on what he'd been reading for the past few days. He was tired of being holed up on some church and having all his requests to see the roots denied. He'd been playing along for a while now, hoping it'd get him somewhere, but all it'd gotten him was a delay on getting to the bottom of this. Besides, even in the relatively sheltered church he'd found himself in, rumours of the many missing people had reached him. He already feared such a thing would be the case. After all, the slavers he'd encountered were merely [minions], so whomever orchestrated all of it was still roaming free. Although he had not particularly close relation to the Adventure's Guild, he was glad to learn they were getting involved. Perhaps they would be getting some results on the mission people.

Meanwhile, Ceylan gritted his teeth in frustration at hearing the dozenth reply following the exact same phrasings as in the texts he'd been reading. Especially the Dark Tree poem was concerning. He'd been trying to dive into his memory [Religion C] and had even cross-referenced things with his book on Regions of Ryke and the one on Cults & Barbaric Belief Systems. With the religious group having been declared a cult by Arborhaven's own political leaders, things were getting very heated between the two groups. It was all the more reason for Ceylan to want to figure out what was going on.

There were a few theories Ceylan could come up with, as there was a fair enough general outline. Aegrizora was seen as a protecting entity, a tree sprouted from sunlight and nurtured by fea and mortals, in return becoming a nurturing deity. That much was all great and good. Where things became difficult, however, was the idea that the 'sun' had turned from it's favoured child. Did that mean that Aegrizora, as a deity, had fallen from grace by whatever sun- or light-related deity it stemmed from? If that was the case, the next passage was also easy to follow along with. A tree without light had little to offer, so it'd have turned from the people relying on it as a protecting and nurturing entity. From there, the easiest theory was to follow along with typical cult-like behaviour.

Sacrifices. Ceylan had read about it over and over again. The moment something worshipped stops delivering what it always delivered, people turn desperate and try to give whatever they can think of to it in order to win back its favour. Sacrifices were a very common option for it. Furthermore, it would certainly explain the missing people from the festival. A festival to the tree itself, nonetheless. That'd certainly be 'Darkness is delivered like unto it' from the poem. However, Ceylan, no matter how much he wrecked his brain over it, simply couldn't make sense of the 'smiles and open arms' part. It felt so out-of-context that he knew there had to be more to it. Was it simply pointing towards the cult openly accepting new people, ready to be sacrificed? It'd be a very, very simply interpretation, but sometimes simple was correct.

That said, it didn't feel correct this time. The group had been heavily censoring what they'd told him, always confirming the texts and adding next to nothing to them in their answers to his questions. The flip side of that, was that they'd given him the poem 'the Dark Tree' and never denied its ominous first verse, although they couldn't tell him more about the non-legible parts. If this was really a cult, would they let him read something this ominous without worry? He doubted they were trying to recruit him, as they should know how much the Syncretist Church values good deeds above all else. Sacrifices were very much against everything Ceylan stood for.

So... were they actually innocent? Being set-up by the political leaders? It'd make sense that they'd be very hesitant to say anything or let him see the roots, as being branded as a cult would force them to walk on eggshells. If Ceylan was just a spy for the political leaders, he could go there to plant evidence or find new ways to blame them for things they hadn't done, which would perfectly explain how they'd been treating him.

Ceylan sighed. Both theories were likely. A simple 'new cult' one that had them be guilty and a more complex 'being set-up one' that explained everything equally well on the assumption they were innocent. There was only one thing he knew for sure; the missing people and 'dark tree' were related. Whether it was just as a manner to spread rumours and discredit the group or whether it was an old-fashioned cult was the more difficult question.

He stood up and stretched his limbs. What should his next course of action be? It was clear that he was getting nowhere... That's when he figured it out. He needed to convince them he was on their side. If he could prove to them he was willing to assume their innocence, they might let them know more. If they were truly innocent, Ceylan believed the gods would show him so, in one way or another. If they weren't, he just needed to seem gullible enough to make them think they could use him to their advantage.

It's why he made his way to whomever had been 'in charge' of him to discuss the situation yet again, but this time with more purpose to it. “My apologies, sir, but I've heard of the rumour spreading about your group and it's of great concern to me. I'm worried you're being set-up by the city's government and that they're already making their moves. If we do not act quickly, they might fabricate a justification to openly attack and perhaps even outlaw you. Please, allow me to see the roots. I've felt something terrible from it and I know that something is wrong. If we can't figure out what it is and who put it there, not only will the tree suffer, but your entire group will be blamed for it.”

As he was saying it, he used his [Preach] ability to present his theory of why they might be set-up. He'd leave out anything regarding his theories that they might be guilty, deciding to assume their innocence for now, both for practical and theoretical reasons.

C-Grade Abilities Cooldown (0/3)
  • Preach – Religion C, Connected C [Syncretist Church] – Character holds a long theological speech about faith. Not very entertaining, but theologically sound. - Grade C - 3 Post Cooldown.

Hildegard Karling
63f4386cfb91d03db9533a15284a6ed3.jpg

Another village another case of disappearance, and another reemergence of cult activity. It seemed every village or town she found herself going to now a days had some sort of occult problem. That was fine by her, it meant she could deliver swift and potently painful retribution on the monsters that prayed on the week for their masters commands. She would be lying if she said she knew all the little bits and pieces of information that were available, but she knew enough for now. After Norroburry she had taken a few days to herself. It did not last long before she returned to the adventurer's guild and found the posting for Arborhaven. The moment she had seen it she signed up and set out to get to work.

When she had first seen the great tree she was breathless. It's majesty was a sight to behold. For a moment she could even believe that their was a god trapped inside. She had quickly wiped the heretical thought from her mind. A great and powerful spirit perhaps, but not a god. There was only one god, a god that watched between worlds and could even bring the souls of the dammed like her into this world to carry out his will. He was a true god... and he would never be trapped in a tree. She would not say that out loud of course, not even she was that dumb. She would let them call the being they worshipped a god, all while staying true to her lord. He tasked her with fixing the world, not converting it. Therefore she would do her job and still spread his name through her heroics and deeds.

Even she could feel the tense feeling in the village air as she entered into it's outskirts. For a place that had just finished it's major festival, it was rather dreary. Looking around her eyes scanned over what ever she could see. Even though she was here, she had no idea where to start.

Fourth Church of Aegrizora

The man that Ceylan had approached had been busy preparing for service, but their guest drew his attention away and he was happy to hear what the man had to say. Until he actually said it. Talk of the government and their recent actions against their group were concerning and it was nice to know that this man was in fact on their side, but he had to wonder why. There had been many people interested in seeing the tree and learning more about their faith, but they were not all honest. "I can assure you young man, I have been to the roots and there is nothing sinister happening there." He said as he flashed the man a soft smile. "Our leaders spend their days there, trying to commune with Aegrizora in the hopes that the old deity might one day speak and share with us its knowledge." His smile faded, becoming a pout and a frown. "We have been working at it for a very long time."

The man shook his head as he thought back over his time serving the cult. "But I am sure that the day is coming soon and that is why the government is trying to work against us, they know that Aegrizora will replace them." There was a hint of fervor brewing in the man's voice when he spoke about replacing the leaders of Arborhaven, but before he could say anymore, a loud clanking noise resounded through the hall. Everyone turned to look at where it came from, seeing a young woman fumbling with several candlesticks.

"I'm sorry, Elder." Her apology echoed over the many seats that filled the room. She looked to Ceylan for a moment, eyes filled with anger and fear, but then quickly rushed off to the storage room. "Perhaps you should considering joining us, young man, we are always looking for new, strong members." The old man said.

Elvario Elvario

Outskirts of Arborhaven

Even from the outskirts it would be evident to Hildegard that the town was not a welcoming place at the moment. A dozen guards patrolled every entrance to the village and there were queues of people waiting to get in and out of the formerly quaint place. The leaders of Arborhaven had done their research and their neighbors reported cultist activity and missing people. Places like Norroburry and Selve were just a few that had been hit by the recent rise in cultists. While they didn't want people to go missing in their own neighborhoods, they also didn't want them to go missing somewhere else and end up here.

"Half an hour just to get out of the damn city." A man grumbled as he marched by Hildegard, tugging a cart behind him . It was obvious this man was a merchant, but even the merchant-class was not exempt from searches on the roads of Arborhaven. "Next time I'll sneak out." He said, speaking over the groaning wheels of his wooden cart.

While the line into the village was significantly shorter than the line heading out, everyone was being identified and searched, making even the most unsuspecting person linger for an absurd amount of time. "Do you really think that Sera could be here?" A feminine voice inquired as a man and women rushed by the blonde warrior. "Of course she is dear, she has to be." The man replied with very little certainty. The duo rushed towards the line, passing a group of religious folk who seem to be praying in the field. They wore symbols of a very underground religion.

Dante Verren Dante Verren

Ceylan

Ceylan gritted his teeth at the stubborn denial of something being wrong at the tree's roots. Was it because his first impression was the correct one? Were these guys truly the cult they were made out to be and were they the ones doing wrong? Or were they simply too stupid to sense any of the bad magic coming from the tree. Either option was equally problematic.

Something finally fell into place when the man openly admitted they wished for the government to be replaced by Aegrizora. That brought two other, equally likely, options with it. The first was that someone in this cult was working on trying to make it seem like they spoke for Aegrizora. A single strongman trying to become the 'prophet' for a god was typical cult behaviour. The prime sin of striving for earthly power and enrichment through claiming heavenly means, is what it was dubbed at the Syncretist Church.

The second option was one he wished to actually share. “Would it not be possible for the government to have already found a means to corrupt or influence the roots? For as much as I respect your group, you are a rather monolithic structure. Whilst there is great strength in unity, there is also weakness, as it might leave you vulnerable to things that the group, as a singular structure, might not be able to account for or might not even notice. As someone from a more outsider's perspective, I might be able to see what your organisation might not. Not because I am better, but merely because I'm not fully incorporated into the whole.” He knew the group wouldn't like the mention of weakness, but perhaps he'd phrased it carefully enough.

As for the man's offer, he was a bit surprised to hear it. If it wasn't for his vows, he'd be able to use it to go undercover and get to the bottom of this in no-time. However, he was a Syncretist Priest first and foremost, so he couldn't just ignore what he vowed to stand for, not even if it was to go undercover for the greater good. “Your offer is most gracious and generous, but I'm afraid I cannot set aside my vows as a Syncretist. I'm bound to the servitude of all churches and religions that work for the greater good, so I would gladly aid yours and would be honoured to work together, but I cannot bind myself into exclusivity.”

There was one more thing on his mind. “The girl from before, I senses a lot of anger in her. Does she still not trust me?” He shook his head. “I sensed fear as well, which I cannot understand. How can I convince everyone I'm truly here with a desire to give my aid?”

The elder listened to Ceylan, but as he did he found the man's questions to be insulting, even if he tried to declare that they were not. It was to be expected of an outsider and even more so of someone who was swept up in lesser religions. Plus Ceylan was not from Arborhaven and therefore had not learnt of Aegrizora's wonders. With a heavy sigh the old man shook his head at the foreign priest. "Our church works hard and without end to ensure that only the most trusted and devote of our flock makes it to the roots of the great tree where they may meet and convene with the great Aegrizora."

His hand went up to tap Ceylan on his shoulder as if to calm the young man. "The young girl's emotions were likely directed at me and not yourself. She and her sister joined our church together. Her sister showed great devotion to the tree and moved on to meet with our leaders at the roots. She has yet to prove herself and now she worries she won't be able to go to the roots, much like yourself."

He gestured with an open palm to the storage room where the girl had gone. "Perhaps the words of a foreign priest might be what she needs to hear. As you said, perhaps we need an outsider's point of view on this matter." The elder had faith in a lout of things, but not this woman or in Ceylan's abilities to help her. 1653595933961.png

As she remerged from the storage room with a crate in her arms, she kicked the door closed and quickly looked around the room. "I am taking these to the village gates, Elder." The girl announced with a shaky voice. Her eyes showed that she had a secret and as she looked to Ceylan, she attempted to drag him into it. "Would you assist me in handing out these rations to those leaving the village with a lack of food and funds?" Desperation rose in her voice as she struggled to try and avoid revealing her intentions.

Elvario Elvario

Attachments

• 1653595903607.png
    1653595903607.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 1
Ceylan

Ceylan's words didn't ring through. He was already afraid they wouldn't, but the confirmation of his failure was still a disappointment. The strict selection of people being brought to the roots was making this seem more and more like typical cult-like behaviour. Sometimes the simplest conclusion really was the likeliest one as well and he was starting to lose hope that this would be the exception. Perhaps he could at least learn something more of it. “Then, if I might ask, how do you select who's to be counted among the most trusted?”

It didn't take Ceylan a lot of his emphatic [D] talents to realise this priest didn't believe in him and that the Elder's words were very contradictory to what he was feeling. Considering he wasn't getting anywhere with the priest, however, Ceylan figured he might as well play along. “Very well, I'll do my best to talk to her.” He was careful not to mention what that talk would be about.

Ceylan was in luck, it seemed, as the girl gave him the excuse to leave this place. Perhaps she'd also be able to tell him more. There was one issue in that he'd probably not be in a good spot if he'd be working with a known trouble-maker in the church. He'd be suspected even more, but then again, with how he wasn't getting anywhere, it would be a better option. “Of course. It's the least I could do for being allowed to stay here.”

He'd offer to carry the crate if he wasn't afraid it'd reveal his priestly strength and make him look foolish. Instead, he just walked along until they were far enough away to be out of hearing range. “So, what did you wish to speak to me about?” He asked, before remember they hadn't even introduced yet. “I'm Ceylan, by the way.” Considering the circumstances, he left out further pleasantries.

Rylak

The staff spun through the air leisurely as Rylak walked down the path. His mind wasn't paying much attention to the action that he was performing, he was thinking about the mission he was on. Trying to find missing people and why they'd gone missing. And all the Tree-God stuff, it all sounds really complicated, thought the young Felinefolk. He wasn't too sure what sort of tactics he could utilize, but he expected other Adventurers would be there to help, maybe even mentor him. He'd only been a member of the Adventurer's Guild for about three days now and he'd been traveling for just under three days. Unfortunately, Rylak wasn't very traveled, having only left his small village twice in his life, this being the second. For that reason, he'd had to ask for directions from many a people in this adventure already but he had arrived at the gates of Arborhaven. He quickly noticed the lines, Back in my village, they didn't even have guards at the gates.

Young Rylak kind of figured he could skip the line because he had official business to take care of, but at the same time, Rylak was well aware that he didn't really know how things worked outside of his village. He didn't want to offend people by cutting in line, so he got in the back of the line but pulled out his Adventurer's badge, fiddling with it. Rylak hoped the guards would see the badge and let him through the gate or another Adventurer would see it and introduce themselves. Otherwise, the cat would wait.

Cayde.3.jpg
Mentions: Phineas Forge Phineas Forge

At the back of the line, Cayde brooded. After his exploits in Vegard, notably almost dying, having his perception of monsters shattered, and almost losing one of his friends, Cayde figured it was time to take a quick break. Wanting nothing more than a good book and a nice cup of raspberry tea afterward, Cayde's first choice was the Ryken Grand Library, but of course, it was closed to the public - something to do with an 'expansive brain mold infestation,' whatever that was. Dejected, Cayde decided to go to his small, quaint campsite out in the woods, only to encounter a pair of goblins messily scrounging through his supplies. Luckily, he was able to run the creatures off without getting a knife in the shins, but the little beasties had taken all his fireweed, everwinters, alcohol, and worst of all, his soap, leaving him both angry and dirty.

Fed up beyond all measure, Cayde concluded one thing: if he couldn't study in the best library in all of Ryke, then he'd settle for the second-best library, and so, he set sights on the village Arborhaven. Not only was the settlement a wellspring of knowledge, but its Festival of Aegrizora would've also proven a great event for Cayde to let off some steam; if he made it on time, that is. The truth was, Cayde arrived late, and instead of ornate decorative banners gracing the village entrance, or the sweet aromas of freshly cooked dishes enticing him forward, he was waiting to get searched by guards, all while groups of equally miserable people departed in carts beside him. "How lovely." He thought.

Still, as he stood impatiently in line, Cayde's curiosity got the best of him. Though it'd make sense for people to be leaving the city after the festival, why were the guards searching them? Cayde wondered if something happened before he arrived: maybe an accident happened someplace during the festival? Or did someone try to disrupt it? Whatever it was, Cayde was none the wiser, and he wasn't going to learn more just by standing here.

In his boredom, he did notice one interesting thing, though. In front of him was a taller feline beast-man, fiddling with something in their hands. Perceptive, and nosy, Cayde studied the object and immediately recognized it as a badge given to those apart of the Adventurer's Guild. "Excuse me, sir," Cayde greeted, pointing to the man's hand, "I couldn't help but notice that badge in your hand. Are you by any chance a part of the Adventurer's Guild?"

Though he was no member himself, Cayde was very fond of the guild. Not only did he idolize them when he was younger, but to this day, they are a fantastic source of raw materials. When members came back from long-distance escorts, they'd often bring back cartloads of foreign goods, hard-to-find plants, and valuable minerals, selling them to the public. Cayde, the budding alchemist, would be a familiar face around these markets, purchasing materials for his use and his uncle's apothecary. If it weren't for the trips made by the guild, he wouldn't even have the majority of his potions, and so, he was deeply grateful.

"Ah, a bit rude of me to ask without introducing myself, right?" Cayde said before extending his hand for a handshake, "Name's Cayde Whitinger, alchemist by trade. You are..?"

Hildegard Karling
Mentions: The Last Curse The Last Curse Phineas Forge Phineas Forge

Hildegard grinned her teeth in annoyance at the long line just to get into the damn village. Still from what she had overheard she had no choice but to get in line, it was either that or have no chance of getting to the bottom of things. Turning on her heels she began to advance to the line but her eyes were drawn by a group of people praying in the field. She studied them for a moment, noting the symbols and their stances. She was curious, very curious. Yet her duty still remained. She could investigate them later by looking up their symbol. First she had to wait in a damn line.

An annoyed grimace on her face she stepped into line. While most of the line seemed to consist of mostly normal village folk or merchants, there were two particular strange one's that stood before her. A Feline like man and some one that looked like... what was it called again? A plague doctor, they looked like a plague doctor. Deciding to remain quieted for now, she observed their interaction. Waiting to see how the feline like man responded to the supposed alchemist. Still most of her attention would be on the Alchemist, there get up alone gave her sketchy vibes, something that when dealing with disappearances you should never ignore.

The crate she carried wasn't large. but it was filled with at least a dozen individually wrapped rations for those that were leaving the village. She guided Ceylan away from the church and as soon as they were amongst the crowded streets, she dropped her rouse. "The church is dangerous." She quickly exclaimed, her calm face betrayed by her somewhat panicked tone of voice. Her eyes darted around, searching the street for members of the church, only to find none. "I'm sorry" She said as she regained her composure. "It has been so long since I've talked to someone that wasn't...brainwashed." Her gaze fell to the necklace that hung around her neck, a heart-shaped locket.

"My name is Mira." The woman said with a nod of her head. "I wanted to warn you that you should return to whatever church you came from, leave Arborhaven all together." As they approached a street vendor, Mira bowed her head and the woman placed several jars into the crate that Mira was carrying, she then stepped away and continued on the path to the village gates.

"Everyone is subject to the searches, that is the law!" A strong voice shouted as trouble brewed at the gates. A baby started to cry and a women's scream drew all eyes to a group attempting to depart the village. The patriarch of the group had been knocked down by the guards, forced to step aside so that they might investigate his belongings. They climbed into the wagon and threw the family's things around while the baby cried in the background. "You're free to go." Their search turned up nothing and without even an apology they sent the family on their way.

The line for people entering the village had stalled during the disturbance, but once things had settled down the guards returned their attention to the line of people before them. They were told to expect adventurers to be entering the city and the last thing they wanted was to fight some seasoned warriors that tangoed with monsters while their greatest threats were petty thieves and kidnappers. So they kept their searches brief and were respectful to everyone that came to the city.

It took a while as the line was long and some people did have items to be searched, but Rylak's turn at the gate did finally come. The guards were thrown by his appearance though. Arborhaven was no stranger to different races and such, but not every guard was so worldly. "Do you have any belongings to present?" The guard asked as he noticed the badge that the feline possessed. "And are these two with you?" He pointed to Cayde and then to Hildegard as both seemed to be partaking in the adventurer's business.

Mira set her box of rations down by the outgoing line and cleared her throat. "If you need food or water for your journey, please come and get some!" She called out.

Elvario Elvario The Last Curse The Last Curse Phineas Forge Phineas Forge Dante Verren Dante Verren

Ceylan

Ceylan sighed. At least the girl was being direct. “I was starting to fear as much, yes.” He shook his head at her suggestion to leave. “Thank you for your concern, but after what I sensed from the tree, I can't simply turn away.” Considering how direct the girl had been, Ceylan figured he should act in kind. “The Elder mentioned a sister of yours. Is she among those that were brainwashed?” Come to think of it, if being direct was their way to go, he might as well use [Appraisal E] on the girl and see more of the type of person he was dealing with.

Ceylan was surprised by how much worse the situation at the gate had gotten since he first entered. They were really desperately searching for something without a shred of shame, particular for one family trying to leave the city. Had something important to them been stolen and were they trying to prevent it from being smuggled out? Ceylan wasn't sure.

Anyhow, it was time for his 'job' to start, as he picked up some rations and water to hand it to the first person in the outgoing line that seemed to be in actual need of it. Come to think of it... He figured he might as well [Scan the Mood] of some of the folk here, just a random 10 people, to learn more of why they wished to leave. He wondered if they were more 'tired of this shit' or if there was true desperation among them.

C Grade Ability Cooldown: (0/3)
  • Scanning the Mood – Magic Affinity C, Magic Range D, Magic Targets D, Appraisal E - Empathy D – Character uses their senses to pick up on the mood of up to 10 targets within a 100ft/30 metres range. - Grade C – 3 Post Cooldown.

Last edited:
Kesh

1653845753895.png

Strength - F

Precision - D (14)

Intelligence - C (21)

Vitality - G (-7)

Speed - E (7)

" Hmm... Yes... " A quiet whisper rang from the alleyways of Arborhaven, a rat woman made her rounds, looking all around through trash. " Need some money-gold. Money-gold then for lessons-classes... " She talked to herself as she rummaged through trash, the talks of gods and such did interest her a little, churches and gods had money, lots of money. " Hmm... Need to broaden view-horizons. Find the church-kirk. Disappearances on the rise-incline... Need to be careful... Pickpocket-cutpurse... Yes-yes, thieving will further with my goal-desire. " Kesh came up with the idea, she came out of the alleyway and looked around, she chuckled quietly seeing some people move around, Kesh spotted a female knight wearing armor with a blue cloth, No-no she would not be wise to steal from... Although she would have a lot of gold-money on her... Kesh's eyes looked over the rest of the area, she would see a dog man preaching and talking, they looked like a priest.

HMM! Yes-yes! They could be a valuable-precious source to steal from! Kesh continued to look over the priest, then got a good look at some sort of... Masked man with a beak? What in Creave's ass-butt is that man wearing? Kesh never has seen a plague doctor before, but they looked rather intimidating only then for her eyes to move to what he was carrying, a rather large bag, this man looked like he had some interesting items, stuff of value most likely... Kesh smiled, it was risky, but she knew what she had (wanted) to do. Kesh looked at her ring, it took her a bit to understand her magic, but she could sneak up and take his stuff without him realizing it. " Hmm... Yes-yes, plan is flawless-perfect. Time to run them pockets. " Kesh lifted her hand that had her Ratkin ring on it, " Conceal-Hide Away. " Kesh's words caused the ring to activate and her body would disappear into nothingness, effectively hiding her from sight and making her silent as a mouse.

• Conceal-Hide Away! - E - Magic Affinity E, Undetected F, Magic Duration F: Kesh uses her abilities to hide away from both people's sight and having the ability to suppress her sound as well. This effect lasts for 1 minute. (1 Post Cooldown)
Kesh silently moved around, careful not to bump into anyone, waiting for some to pass before she made her way over to where this strange doctor was at. As she got close and near, she would hear talk of some sort of adventurer's guild, it piqued her interest, but Kesh was after something else at the moment, she stared at this pack and began to bring her claws up to it, slowly and quietly she would begin opening pockets and flaps on the pack, looking through, trying to find anything of value. Anyone that was looking would see pockets and flaps rising or opening up by themselves. What is in these pockets-packs...? She asked herself as she grabbed a beaker and pulled it out looking at it. Kesh wanted to gasp but she kept herself quiet, a BEAKER! Kesh knew this guy was an alchemist!

Interactions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Dante Verren Dante Verren The Last Curse The Last Curse Elvario Elvario

Fear, it was the general emotion that circulated the streets as people fleeing the city feared what might occur with the cult now being put to the forefront of everyone's minds. May people expected fighting to begin within the week, skirmishes between the church and the state, and they wanted to be as far away from that as possible. Ceylan's use of appraisal on the woman would reveal that she was just your run of the mill civilian, but her affiliation with the cult had earned her the Title of [Cultist]. She also possessed the Title of [Apprentice Baker].

"My sister...she...was confused." Mira declared reluctantly. "We joined the church together, as all our family members had done before us, since the founding of the village, but...the recent disappearances had me weary." As she passed out the rations, Mira spoke with a hushed voice. Although these people were trying to leave the village, that didn't mean they weren't connected to the church some way and she didn't want to endanger herself.

"When I voiced my concern to her she believed that getting to the roots of Aegrizora would prove whether the church was involved or not. I told her it was too dangerous but she believed she could outsmart them." She picked up another pack of rations and handed them to a mother who was leaving the village with he newborn baby.

"She showed great devotion to the tree and they...invited her to Ascend and join the higher ranks. That was two months ago and I haven't seen or heard from her since." Tears filled her eyes and although they started to roll down her cheeks, she continued to pass out food to strangers on the street.

Kesh's spell would run its course, now leaving her revealed to the rest of the world.

Elvario Elvario Skyhunter Skyhunter

As Cayde continued to converse with Rylak, he heard the sounds of a commotion further in front of the line. Suspecting it was just a rowdy citizen, Cayde paid no mind to it, simply continuing his introduction, "Y'know, it's a bit rare to see a guild member out in the open," Cayde said, still keeping his eyes on Rylak's badge, "They're discreet: You'll only see them if something's going down." With that said, Cayde peeked at the front of the line, revealing that the commotion wasn't just a belligerent native but the result of an aggressive search by the village guards. While it didn't last long, that didn't stop Cayde from exchanging a sympathetic nod to the passing family and a disdainful look to their ransackers. Finally, he looked back at Rylak, "And if you ask me, there's definitely something going down in this village."

It wasn't long before Cayde was second in line, and as he waited his turn, one of the guards asked if he was accompanying Rylak. While he could've lied and probably received a smoother entrance to the village, Cayde decided to stick to his honest nature, "No sir, I'm not with him. I'm just here to visit your village's library. You see, the one in Ryken was closed, so I figured why not come here?" He explained, "I also wanted to attend your festival - a spectacular event, I've heard, but it seems I arrived a bit late." While Cayde had the guard's attention, he'd figured he should try asking about the searches. While he had no intentions of refusing one, Cayde still wanted answers. "I have to ask, though, what's the reason for these searches? Did something happen?"

Cayde's eyes drifted over to the side as he awaited an answer, watching people exit with carts, rations, traveling packs, etc. However, one thing that caught his eye was a dark-skinned woman handing off rations to someone who passed by, but it wasn't the supplies that intrigued him, but rather the woman crying. Underneath his beaked mask, a perplexed frown formed on his face: why was she crying? Cayde thought maybe she'd seen one of her friends or family depart, leaving her emotional, but he had not noticed her beforehand; she probably just got here. Cayde's eyes also darted to the figure next to her, and as he studied them, a sense of familiarity started to wash over him.
It wasn't long before Cayde put the pieces together, and as if a lightbulb flicked on in his head, he instantly recognized them. The tail, the floppy ears, the pristine religious garbs were none other than - "CEYLAN?!"

Cayde's yell was loud - a bit too loud, and for a moment, he even forgot he was waiting in line, almost skipping past Rylak to greet his recurrent adventuring partner. He stopped himself before crossing into the village, though, quickly realizing he was about to break the village's protocol. He shot the guard an apologetic look and slowly backed away into his spot, his palms up and a nervous chuckle escaping him. Unfortunately, in his excitement, he didn't take notice of anyone behind him, and as he backed up, Cayde felt his pack collide with someone.

He instinctively turned to apologize, the words already forming in his mouth, but when he saw who he bumped into, he was immediately tongue-tied. It was a beast woman: a Skaven, or ratkin as they are known to many, and in her hands was what seemed to be a glass beaker. "She probably just dropped that." Cayde's naive mind reassured himself, but as he shifted his head to check on his bag, he noticed that one of the pouches was open, and coincidentally, the pouch contained most of his glass equipment.

Realizing what she was doing, Cayde's eyes narrowed at her, "Excuse me, miss," He honeyed his words with a formal tone, but lost it just as quick as he adopted it, "But what the hell are you doing?!"

Ceylan
Mentions: Cayde The Last Curse The Last Curse | Kesh Skyhunter Skyhunter

Concern started to fill Ceylan, as he could sense fear from pretty much everyone in these streets. He knew the situation was bad, but only now did he realise the extend of it. These people were frightened enough to expect some sort of battle to occur soon. That was problematic no matter how you looked at it, especially considering the fact that they might be right to worry about it.

That said, his newfound companion didn't have too much odd going on. The expected cultist title and.. huh.. a baker? Ceylan was a bit surprised, but at the same time, it would make sense for her to be more than just a cultist. At the very least it didn't seem like the girl was hiding anything from him. That was good. He nodded at the girl's reluctant explanation. “Sounds like she very much had the same idea as I had, except she got a lot closer.” Ceylan replied, at an equally hushed tone. The last part sounded worrying. “Do you know anything more about this Ascension?”

He didn't like the fact that the girl was crying by now, as it made him feel bad, but he had to get information if he wanted to solve this. For now, that meant pressing difficult topics until he got more satisfying answers. That said, he was distracted when he suddenly heard a familiar voice call out... His tail started wagging in anticipation as he looked around to the source of the voice. By the time he spotted Cayde, it was going fast enough to accidentally slap the people behind him if they were to get too close.

He figured he'd better explain himself to Mira. “Ah, don't let his appearance fool you. He's a pretty reliable friend of mine. I'm not sure why he's here, but he might be of great use figuring out what's going on here. Please excuse me for a bit.” He said, as he put down the rations he'd been handing out to head over to Cayde.

Excited as he was, he didn't really manage to take in the current situation and figure out the mood. Well, the latter was impossible with Cayde's mask being in the way anyhow. “Ah, Cayde! What you doing here? It's great to see you again!” Ceylan's tail betrayed his honesty. He then noticed the rat-lady, holding a beaker. “Did you get an apprentice?” He wasn't entirely sure what to think of the rat-lady, but her appearance somehow immediately fit in with Cayde's alchemist garb. Definitely his apprentice. “I'm Ceylan, nice to meet you, miss.” He politely introduced himself.

Kesh

1654048716589.png

When Kesh's spell expired she stood there with a dumbfounded look on her face, she realized that she took too long, being too intrigued by the beaker and her findings. When she realized that she got backed into and the man turned to face her, Kesh's turned fearful, she was staring into the mask of someone who looked like something straight out of a nightmare. Kesh froze just as he asked her what the hell she was doing.

Kesh looked over at the beaker in her hand and cleared her throat, " Well... You lost-dropped this. " Kesh held it up to his face, " A-And I was just putting it back in your bag-sack. " It was a obvious lie, her stammering and nervousness was easy to see through, her eyes then looked at his belt and she pointed at his waist, " Are you a alchemist-scientist? " Kesh asked, just as Ceylan approached her asking if she was Cayde's apprentice. Apprentice? She wondered, Yes-Yes! Apprentice! Kesh smiled, " Hello, priest, my name is Kesh, it is good to meet-converge with you! " Kesh smiled, just as one of her hands patted on his robe, looking for a pocket. She was definitely not subtle in her ways. Her ring would be noticeable on her finger. " Yes I am his apprentice. " She straight up lied! Even in front of of a priest! Even in front of Cayde would know that wasn't true, and she was even trying to run through Ceylan's pockets. But she did have a large smile on her face as she did.

Interactions: Elvario Elvario The Last Curse The Last Curse

Cayde.3.jpg
Mentions: Skyhunter Skyhunter Elvario Elvario

Cayde couldn't believe what he was hearing. Not only had this woman tried to rob him, but she also claimed to be his apprentice! He couldn't even brew a vat of quintessence yet - how could he be a mentor? And to top it all off, Ceylan also thought she was his apprentice! All while she tried to rob him too! Completely bewildered, Cayde wanted to call her out on her lies right then and there, but after glancing at the guards, Ceylan, and back to Kesh, he hesitated. Cayde knew the guards ahead were desperate and no-nonsense with their current duties, as evidenced by how they treated the last family. If he were to call them now, they'd likely keep that same edge dealing with Kesh, causing another unneeded commotion. Plus, as frustrated Cayde was before and as annoyed as he is now, he couldn't possibly condemn someone over a beaker. He had plenty; he would've happily provided if Kesh had asked first.

Still, the whole ordeal had put him in an awkward position, with him not only having to greet Ceylan but introduce a complete stranger. Anxious, Cayde took a moment to think up something, using his skills in [Deception] and [Persuasion] to form a somewhat coherent story. Finally, when he was ready, he clasped his hands together and turned to Ceylan, "Ceylan! Great to see you too! Should've known I'd see the 'Hero of Vegard' trying to solve another mystery," Cayde joked with a smile in his voice, "Y'know, after I got back from Vegard, I was a little bit on edge: I had to swap out my outfits, my camp got ransacked, and the grand library was closed. So, if I couldn't study in Ryken, I thought I should go someplace else."

Cayde's gaze shifted sideways from Ceylan to Kesh, "I guess it wasn't all too bad, though, cause I met Kesh." He said as a bead of sweat ran went down his temple - Cayde was never more glad he had his mask on, "When I was packing for the trip, Kesh busts in the store, walks up to the counter, and demands uncle Zane to give her some alchemy lessons. He denied her at first, but Kesh wasn't having it," He chuckled, seemingly amused by what he was about to say, "So, after an hour back and forth between the two, Zane finally gives up, and sends her my way." He shook his head ruefully, "Y'know, I've never seen Zane so defeated in my life! Could've sworn he was gonna retire right on the spot!"

"I wouldn't say she's my apprentice, though; I'm barely a journeyman. I'd say she's more of a - uh,"
Cayde's eyes flitted about, looking for the correct word to say, "A peer! Yeah, if I was heading to Arborhaven, I figured she should tag along. Maybe she'd learn a thing or two." With his story finished, Cayde was more than eager to change the subject, nodding in the direction of Ceylan, "But uh, Ceylan! You look like you've been busy. What've you been up to?"

Rylak wasn't really sure what he was even doing in this line, it was clear people were having their belongings checked, but their searches for those entering were obviously much less intrusive than those exiting the village. It was as if they were trying to keep something from being smuggled out, but Rylak was here to find missing people and who was causing that. It seemed odd to him, but also not related to the mission at hand. It was as that thought went through the young felinefolk's mind that a man approached him. Rylak turned as the man approached, taking in the mask and appearance. Having the background that Rylak had, he wasn't the type to be offput by a person's appearance: it was a byproduct of being an immigrant in a place that didn't like the way he looked. He knew better than to judge someone on their appearance alone, so while others may back away or look on suspiciously, Rylak was glad someone was chatting with him. Besides, I'm an overgrown house cat! he mused to himself, a smile crossing his face causing the whiskers to noticeably twitch upwards at their tips.

"Excuse me, sir," Cayde greeted, pointing to the man's hand, "I couldn't help but notice that badge in your hand. Are you by any chance a part of the Adventurer's Guild?"

"Yes yes, I am!" It was the first time Rylak had been able to introduce himself as an Adventurer, so his excitement came out in his tone and mannerisms. He stuck his hand out to the newcomer, assuming that the masked man in front of him was also an Adventurer.

"Name's Cayde Whitinger, alchemist by trade. You are..?"

"Rylak, a Felinefolk from a small village west of here." The introduction was... odd; anyone looking at Rylak would guess he was a Felinefolk, his appearance made stating that rather unnecessary but the soul housed within the Felinefolk body still thought of himself as a human, so it came out. He realized after saying it how silly he had sounded, but he had no ability to rewind time so he just hoped it came off as nervousness.

"Y'know, it's a bit rare to see a guild member out in the open. They're discreet: You'll only see them if something's going down."

Rylak's whiskers twittered in fear. I'm not being discreet and Cayde, as a veteran Adventurer, is admonishing me for being too obvious. I'm already off on the wrong foot now. He shoved the badge back into the pocket from which he'd retrieved it earlier and started to respond, but the commotion drew his attention away.

"And if you ask me, there's definitely something going down in this village."

Rylak felt a bit of relief but that was when the two were asked about traveling together, which Cayde answered for them. And Rylak was allowed to enter quite quickly, as he lacked anything requiring a search. The Felinefolk only stepped a bit away from Cayde, hoping to continue their conversation, but was a bit surprised when he spoke about the library to the guard. Ah, this is the veteran Adventurer's discreetness in action! He thought, a bit startled as Cayde yelled a name. He then turned, pulling Rylak's attention to a ratkin who seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. Even Rylak's senses hadn't noticed her until Cayde bumped her and asked what she was doing.

The person to whom Cayde had called came over and got involved, Rylak briefly lost interest and looked at the people in line, trying to leave. He closed his eyes, allowing his ears a chance to listen to things around him. He could hear the story Cayde was telling about Kesh and people tapping their feet as they waited in line. Rylak was now inside (though barely) Arborhaven... but he wasn't sure what the next step should be.

Last edited:
Hildegard Karling
Mentions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Elvario Elvario Phineas Forge Phineas Forge Skyhunter Skyhunter The Last Curse The Last Curse
Hildegard tried her best to stop the emotion from showing on her face, but she wasn't exactly the subtle type. Sure she had her moments of brilliant acting... this was not one of them. Her mouth curled into a snarl her eye's bearing straight ahead of her. Unfortunately the person receiving her glare was the Felinefolk who she had somewhat overheard introducing himself. An adventurer by the name of Rykal or something like that. The cat man was the least of her concern right now. Instead she strained her ears to get a listen in on the not so quiet conversation happening between the group the Plague doctor had approached.

She felt a twinge of anger spark in her, not only was this plague doctor coming to visit some "library" to do his nefarious deeds, but he also brought a peer. Of course that peer was a rat folk. They fit the image of evil cultist perfectly. In her mind she could picture the two of them laughing maniacally in a lab full of captured civilians. It was only by the patience her benevolent lord granted her and the fact there were so many innocents nearby that she did not draw her blade and strike them down in his holy name. What made matters worse was that some form of Hero was associated with these villains'. Either this hero was fooled by them or the unassuming dog eared man was in on it. She shivered at the thought of a hero stooping so low.

Still she used her willpower to keep her mouth shut, eyes glaring ahead, and hands busy. To keep her hands off her weapon or from sparking electricity like she normally would do, Hildegard instead grabbed her bag and pulled out a few items. The first was her contract for the mission, and the second was her own adventurer's badge. That should of been all she needed to get into the village. She just needed to have this damn feline folk move then she could get inside and start investigating this suspicious rat/bird combo of evil.

Ceylan

Ceylan was not amused. No, not just not amused, he was greatly disturbed. Her greetings were nice enough, but she was... groping him? Her very unsubtle attempt to look for pockets had been misinterpreted. It instantly stopped his tail from wagging and made him take a big step back. “Whatever you're trying, don't.” He said, at a very cold tone. He already didn't like this girl in the slightest. Even the monster he'd been with thus far were better behaved than this rat. Besides, it didn't take a lot of empathy to sense a pretty dishonest feeling coming from her. He didn't even wish to introduce himself formally any more.

It's why he was thoroughly confused by Cayde's story. “You should've refused like your uncle did.” He said, as he wasn't liking this new 'peer' of his in the slightest. He gave a deep sigh. “Anyhow, it's good to see you again, and I'm sorry about camp.”

It was then time to tell Cayde what he was up too, but he didn't like his 'peer' listening in on it as well. “We'd better talk about it in private, whilst your peer can focus her attention elsewhere.” He looked at Mira. “The girl over there is Mira. I've been working together with her for a bit. Come, I'll introduce you to her.” He said, expecting Cayde to follow along whilst hoping Kesh wouldn't do so.

After seeing that Rylak was no threat and that he was in fact here to help, the rest of the line started to move. The guards waved Cayde on through, along with the rat who they heard was his assistant. Then Hildegard had prepared for her approach and they greatly appreciated that she was ready and that she was an adventurer. "Good luck." The man said as he moved to inspect the next person in the line.

1654294872946.pngMira, who had been handing out the remains of the rations, was caught off guard by the sight of so many adventurer badges, it was something that she was also very happy about. Not waiting to be introduced and not caring for such pleasantries, she rushed to the group of people. With a hushed voice, but eager expression, she called to them all. "Thank, Aegrizora that you've all come/' Her eyes darted to every face that had just passed through the intake line, thinking that they were all members of the guild, including the rat and the plague doctor. It seemed that the priest had a lot of friends and they were good friends too.

"Arborhaven is in desperate need of heroes right now." Mira's voice broke slightly as the thought of getting her sister back came to mind. Here stood five people who were afraid of nothing and firm believers in doing what is right. But they would need help to navigate the city and the church. "Please, we cannot talk on the streets, it isn't safe. I know a place where the church won't have spies and I can catch you all up on what has been going on."

Elvario Elvario Dante Verren Dante Verren Phineas Forge Phineas Forge Skyhunter Skyhunter The Last Curse The Last Curse

Kesh

1654411738354.png

Kesh could see her actions were not appreciated by this priest, " Oh, of course, yes-yes, I guess you have empty pockets. " Kesh didn't look like what she was wrong, mainly because she doesn't know what she was doing was wrong. Kesh had a large grin on her face as Cayde was explaining this story that never happened, but you were damn right that Kesh was going to believe that it happened! " Yes-yes, Uncle Zane wasn't listening to wise-clever Kesh, wasn't giving up on that. " Kesh explained with that same large grin on her face, Kesh is very wise-clever! I can't believe this actually worked! Good Kesh... Good... I will get that gold-money! She thought to herself. " Wouldn't give Me-Kesh any lesson-classes. " Kesh looked to Cayde, " Then I met... " She was quiet for a moment as if she was trying to remember his name. " Clyde. " Kesh looked to Ceylan, ignoring the looks he gave her like she didn't care or notice, probably more like she didn't know.

When the two began to move, Kesh smiled and followed after, meeting this Mira, Kesh raised a brow elbowing Cayde in his arm gently, " Does that Mira have money-gold I can have? " She whispered, " Or does the church have gold-money I can have? Or that I can steal. Hey, you do alchemy. I want lessons-classes. " She whispered, " I'm your apprentice now. " Kesh made herself to be Cayde's self-proclaimed apprentice. Her hands now grabbing Cayde's arm like he was a wall to peer around at this Mira.

Interactions: The Last Curse The Last Curse Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

This rat-girl was getting heavily on Ceylan's nerves. “The content of my pockets are none of your concern.” He said, as if berating a child. However, as she got Cayde's name wrong, Ceylan pulled his masked companion away from the others a bit. The rat girl's current behaviour and words were way too much of a red flag for him.

Having pulled Cayde aside, he whispered. “Is that woman blackmailing you in any way? Whatever I can do to help, let me know. It's pretty clear she's lying and I don't know why you're going along with it, but trying to make friends with these types of people will only put you at risk of getting involved in their criminal activities. I've just spent a lot of time trying to coax a relatively peaceful monster out of this city before she'd be killed, so I'm not looking forwards to having to mediate the actions of a thief now. I've got a way more important mission here, which is to prevent a bloodbath between these cultists and the government and figuring out what the former group is up too with the tree to begin with. Considering the rat-girl's actions, she'll probably have the title of a thief as well, which means she'll be arrested the moment someone tries to scan her. With how on-guard the city is and considering you're approaching a check-point, that is a very pressing concern. You definitely don't want to be associated with her, as you'd risk being arrested as well.” Ceylan really hoped he could either talk some sense into his companion or at least figure out why Cayde was covering such a dubious creature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back