Chitchat Anyone Else do this?

Somedudesbutonly2

Sometimes when text or writing messages, I put ‘ums’ and ‘ahs’ in, even though it’s a text message and I don’t have to do that.

Sometimes I do that. Not very often but it's an easier way to show hesitation or some other emotions in written text, especially a short text message.

I put in a lot of "hmm" for when I'm thinking, haha! I think it's a natural want to substitute in some cue in the absence of body language.

Speech tics are pretty natural though. Conveying an emotion. ‘Durr hurr hurr’ is a favourite of mine; gives off a derp impression haha! :closed eyes open smile:

Sometimes when text or writing messages, I put ‘ums’ and ‘ahs’ in, even though it’s a text message and I don’t have to do that.
Heck yes, for the "um". I say "uhhhhh" and "um" a LOT. Trust me, I've had the same track of thought about this, and yes, I have put "SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH" once. But yeah. Yes to both of them in fact. *awkward silence*

uhmm... I do do it sometimes, as well as other types of expression. I just tend to write whatever words pop to my head , I kind of imagine myself saying things before I type them often, and sometimes that includes those bits of hesitation. I also tend to use a lot of ya'res and ya'lls and the like.

Lot's of people emulate talking through text. There's nothing wrong with it, if anything it's just being accurate to how you'd talk to them. I think it's better that way. Allows your character/personality to shine through that much more.

I tend to insert words like those in text. Not really for filler like we do in actual speech, but rather for when I want to express a specific emotion ('umms' for confusion and 'ahs' for understanding or interest)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back