Chitchat Any Philosophical Questions? (Pass the time... WITH YOUR MIND!)

Yes, it's not a well-documented transition - none of the papers I've read really agreed on when or why we arrived at the second, less formal definitions. I've always thought it was a semi-accidental attempt to distinguish logically derived morals (now ethics) from socially derived morals, probably influenced by pop-culture discourse circa the 1990s.

If I still had university library access I'd look for specifics and clarify for you, but alas I do not.

Grey said:
Yes, it's not a well-documented transition - none of the papers I've read really agreed on when or why we arrived at the second, less formal definitions. I've always thought it was a semi-accidental attempt to distinguish logically derived morals (now ethics) from socially derived morals, probably influenced by pop-culture discourse circa the 1990s.
If I still had university library access I'd look for specifics and clarify for you, but alas I do not.
The thing is, there is a HUGE logical jump there- one with which not everyone agrees. I am not saying you are wrong just because you can't justify it, that would be fallacy, but rather that those definitions are not something that should be taken as a given-specially when they are precisely the topic in debate.

Man, my post is going to seem so lame compared to what you all are talking about. There are so many movies, fables, and stories about love out there. They all affect how we think of love and how we believe that love manifests itself.

What do you do if you're in a chance meeting with a total stranger, you ascertain that they're single and it Dawns on you that you're madly in love with them? I realize that based on the person you'd probably react differently, but just think about it, even if you don't believe in love at first sight, it happens to you. You know in that moment you are truly in love with a stranger that you will likely never see again unless you do something. What do you do?

Constantin said:
Man, my post is going to seem so lame compared to what you all are talking about. There are so many movies, fables, and stories about love out there. They all affect how we think of love and how we believe that love manifests itself.
What do you do if you're in a chance meeting with a total stranger, you ascertain that they're single and it Dawns on you that you're madly in love with them? I realize that based on the person you'd probably react differently, but just think about it, even if you don't believe in love at first sight, it happens to you. You know in that moment you are truly in love with a stranger that you will likely never see again unless you do something. What do you do?
I'm assuming for your question that we are supposed to consider ourselves bypassing the overwhelming odds that we ate soemthing we shouldn't or something. Or are ninfomaniacs. Because that kind of feeling would probably be some kind of deep mistake.

So, the above excluded, and presuming the existence of love at first sight, the thing to do is address them. Naturally, you couldn't come out and tell them your feelings right away, but knowing some information would be necessary. With today's technology and social media etc..., all you'd probably need is a name. Perhaps pretend to do some questionnaire or soemthing if you can't find another excuse to get their name out. Once you do that, just look around online and try to find some minimum information. Then befriend them. And try to find your chance to ask them out.

Idea said:
I'm assuming for your question that we are supposed to consider ourselves bypassing the overwhelming odds that we ate soemthing we shouldn't or something. Or are ninfomaniacs. Because that kind of feeling would probably be some kind of deep mistake.
So, the above excluded, and presuming the existence of love at first sight, the thing to do is address them. Naturally, you couldn't come out and tell them your feelings right away, but knowing some information would be necessary. With today's technology and social media etc..., all you'd probably need is a name. Perhaps pretend to do some questionnaire or soemthing if you can't find another excuse to get their name out. Once you do that, just look around online and try to find some minimum information. Then befriend them. And try to find your chance to ask them out.
See, this is why I like the internet, because we have totally different opinions on what to do here. I think that at the minimum I'd be forward as to why I wanted to talk to them. It is much riskier as they might think you're a creeper, but sometimes the line between creepy and romantic is up to interpretation. As an example, I might say something like, "Excuse me, I don't have a reason to talk to come and talk with you, but I'd be kicking myself later for not taking the time to tell you that I think you're an incredibly beautiful woman." Maybe I'm naive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Constantin said:
See, this is why I like the internet, because we have totally different opinions on what to do here. I think that at the minimum I'd be forward as to why I wanted to talk to them. It is much riskier as they might think you're a creeper, but sometimes the line between creepy and romantic is up to interpretation. As an example, I might say something like, "Excuse me, I don't have a reason to talk to come and talk with you, but I'd be kicking myself later for not taking the time to tell you that I think you're an incredibly beautiful woman." Maybe I'm naive.
Maybe I'm just that ugly, but if someone came up to me and said anything remotely similar to that I'd tell them they got the wrong guy.

Statements like taht can make it awakened even with people you do know. A complete stranger that crossed the street just coming up to you and saying soemthing like that? Most sane people would assume they were about to be tricked, robbed or raped. Or worse.

Furthermore, you have no idea who that person is. Without a bare minimum of information, how are you supposed to know how to say.

"I think you're a beautiful woman."

"I'm a guy, jerk!"

No, the only viable approach is to either accept never being with them or trying to get some information by means that will not wreck your chances with anyone who doesn't psychiatric evaluation.

No offense to anyone.

Idea said:
Maybe I'm just that ugly, but if someone came up to me and said anything remotely similar to that I'd tell them they got the wrong guy.
Statements like taht can make it awakened even with people you do know. A complete stranger that crossed the street just coming up to you and saying soemthing like that? Most sane people would assume they were about to be tricked, robbed or raped. Or worse.

Furthermore, you have no idea who that person is. Without a bare minimum of information, how are you supposed to know how to say.

"I think you're a beautiful woman."

"I'm a guy, jerk!"

No, the only viable approach is to either accept never being with them or trying to get some information by means that will not wreck your chances with anyone who doesn't psychiatric evaluation.

No offense to anyone.
I'm just going to agree to disagree and hope not everyone thinks that way. I never said it wasn't a risk and that it wouldn't end in failure.

It's not really a huge logical jump so much as it was an intentional decision by academic philosophers to distinguish traditional morality from ethical conduct when discussing the two. Most philosophical treatises open with a definition of terms. Not to appeal to authority but I'm basing these views on the arguments of, you know, university lecturers and professional philosophers.

Constantin said:
You are probably not in love with them. It's just biology and social conditioning, and if you never see them again, statistically you'll meet someone else. The younger you are, the better your odds.

Although there is a reproducible experiment that makes people fall in love in a matter of hours, I don't believe we have data on the long-term effects just yet.

Grey said:
It's not really a huge logical jump so much as it was an intentional decision by academic philosophers to distinguish traditional morality from ethical conduct when discussing the two. Most philosophical treatises open with a definition of terms. Not to appeal to authority but I'm basing these views on the arguments of, you know, university lecturers and professional philosophers.
You are probably not in love with them. It's just biology and social conditioning, and if you never see them again, statistically you'll meet someone else. The younger you are, the better your odds.

Although there is a reproducible experiment that makes people fall in love in a matter of hours, I don't believe we have data on the long-term effects just yet.
Yes and I agree that the should open with explaining the definitions, makes sense. What doesn't is how they went from the first formal definition to the second not so formal ones. You cannot derive the second from the first without a whole bunch of assumptions that are not accepted by everyone.

Not to mention you can claim as many great philosophers or people who studied philosophy as you want, but that by itself is not enough when the discussion is precisely on that claim. Not saying it isn't a valid argument, but it is certainly not a very strong one without a justification beyond "they said so".

Long story short, what I am objecting is not your conclusions from the second definitions, but the second definitions that supposedly came from the first.

Would you agree that it's necessary to have terms which delineate efficiently between those values derived from non-evidence based sources and those derived from available evidence? That's basically where the leap came from. If 'morals' is the term currently used to refer to codes of conduct which are not based in logic or evidence, and with the emergence of ethics as a discrete field of study, it's simplest to allow morals to continue to define valuations of 'goodness' which are culturally subjective and employ a different term in reference to evidence-based codes of conduct.

Grey said:
Would you agree that it's necessary to have terms which delineate efficiently between those values derived from non-evidence based sources and those derived from available evidence? That's basically where the leap came from. If 'morals' is the term currently used to refer to codes of conduct which are not based in logic or evidence, and with the emergence of ethics as a discrete field of study, it's simplest to allow morals to continue to define valuations of 'goodness' which are culturally subjective and employ a different term in reference to evidence-based codes of conduct.
I agree you should separate things which are inherently different, specially if they are different for such relevant characteristics. I strongly disagree with adultering the meaning of a given word to establish that difference. Come up with a new word, it's easy. You can just join some together, science does that all the time.

Constantin said:
I don't think true love at first sight exists in terms of infatuation or lust vs actual love, and "actual love" means so many different things to different people.

If it happened now I don't think I'd want to get involved with them. Throwing yourself into a relationship where you're totally head over heals for someone is giving a lot of power and control over yourself up imo. I have a lot of boundaries and I'm a very private person when it comes to my personal life and feelings, and not being able to get someone off my mind would honestly end up more annoying than anything. If I did want to get to know them I'd do exactly that first- after all, if my feelings faded pretty quickly, it might not be fair or worth it to go through the trouble of breaking up with them. And maybe they might end up being the kind of person I wouldn't want to be with, or someone who wouldn't work out because of different needs. Also, I tend to end up feeling neutral towards or disliking the majority of people I meet irl. Most of my friends are people who I just happened to be around more and I don't have any particularly special feelings for them anyways. Couldn't tell you why, it's just how it is. So chances are if I knew more about their personality I wouldn't want to be with them. I've never dated anyone before either because I've never been interested in someone that way, with one exception.

I'm not a really emotional person, so I might think there was something wrong with me, lol, and leave to go lay down.

If you have X-Ray vision, then when you close your eyes, can you still see?

Kabboom said:
If you have X-Ray vision, then when you close your eyes, can you still see?
can you turn the xrays off

Y

Ghost said:
I don't think true love exists in terms of infatuation or lust vs actual love, and "actual love" means so many different things to different people.
If it happened now I don't think I'd want to get involved with them. Throwing yourself into a relationship where you're totally head over heals for someone is giving a lot of power and control over yourself up imo. I have a lot of boundaries and I'm a very private person when it comes to my personal life and feelings, and not being able to get someone off my mind would honestly end up more annoying than anything. If I did want to get to know them I'd do exactly that first- after all, if my feelings faded pretty quickly, it might not be fair or worth it to go through the trouble of breaking up with them. And maybe they might end up being the kind of person I wouldn't want to be with, or someone who wouldn't work out because of different needs. Also, I tend to end up feeling neutral towards or disliking the majority of people I meet irl. Most of my friends are people who I just happened to be around more and I don't have any particularly special feelings for them anyways. Couldn't tell you why, it's just how it is. So chances are if I knew more about their personality I wouldn't want to be with them. I've never dated anyone before either because I've never been interested in someone that way, with one exception.

I'm not a really emotional person, so I might think there was something wrong with me, lol, and leave to go lay down.
You see this is why I backed into my corner, I can enjoy my romantic notions in peace.

This is just beautiful. The length and detail put into these posts shows how sophisticated we can be when talking about this topics. Who said the internet is a mass of unintelligible blogs and profanity?

Retro109 said:
This is just beautiful. The length and detail put into these posts shows how sophisticated we can be when talking about this topics. Who said the internet is a mass of unintelligible blogs and profanity?
our parents and grandparents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back