Opinion An Observation

crumbelivable

formerly pokemariofan64
Not to sound like a smug centrist, but why is is that it seems like just about everyone on this site, at least here in General, is either a massive gif-wielding kpop/anime fanboy, or just the most hardcore, nihilist edgy edgelord you've ever seen. Not claiming I don't fall into either group, or trying to rag on anyone in particular, it's just something I've noticed having browsed General for so long, and I'd like to know what you guys think about it, or your theories as to why.

Because the more softspoken types of people aren't as loud about their interests, therefore you don't see them around in public quite as often.

I was talking about this forum in particular, but that makes sense
Ahh. As for the edginess for this site... RPing in general has a large demographic of teens to young adults. Not only that, but they're teens that spend a lot of time online and teens that enjoy getting lost in their own fictional worlds. These types of people generally fall into the "nerd" and "geek" categories, and are therefore bullied/teased for this, so they can often become brooding and "edgy" as a result, and use RPing as a form of escapism. That's my theory, anyway.

As for the Kpop... To be honest I haven't a singular clue. It's bizzare.

Because it's the internet. Some people feel it's easier to express themselves online, say and do, things they otherwise couldn't in real life without having certain repercussions to follow at least that's what I think. The Kpop thing is completely lost on me and trying to figure it out....pass.

Gotta admit, I'm kind of sick of tragic Korean models in every single RP including the ones set in high-realism America and high-fantasy versions of Europe. :/

Yeah, I had that problem plague one RP I was in. It was OP-induced though. Literally in the middle of the RP one of her characters magically transformed into a Korean girl and just like that the character's music career became the center of the entire RP.

Personally I thought of it more as constrained writing. Except for the part where she threw the entire multiverse at me, and tried to outright change reality at several points.

I agree with the posts here. Edgy teens tend to make their way here because roleplaying is an escape for them, where they can be someone else they desire to be. I think the influx of Korean characters and K-Pop in general on this site comes from the need to express their love for the romanticized and portrayed music scene in Korea. I personally think these Koreaboos need to think about how they view this culture, country, and the residents the romanticize so hardly. I don't like it.

Here are a couple of reasons

1. Crossing Demographics
Roleplaying in a forum combines fiction writing with roleplaying, taking the role of one's character. Just by virtue of such a hobby the image of what an RPer would be starts to form- when you factor in how many of us coming from origins in fandoms, and how many of us have some type of anxiety or depression, and even those that don't tend to have harder times communicating for other reasons... roleplaying sites are the kind of place in which more reclusive people more easily gather than those more outgoing. More reclusive people tend to take up more reclusive hobbies and interests, or backwards, it can be the fact one has such hobbies and interest that causes them to become more reclusive as a result of perceived shuning.

Either way, statistically speaking it becomes entirely reasonable to see a much larger percentage of people with interests like anime, or who lash out more as a result of medical/psychological issues.

2.Your personal bias
Specifically confirmation bias. You believe there to be that many people who fit the descriptors, so you start perceiving there being more of them in any given sample than they really are, or in making excuses that bends a particular case that would fall outside of the applicable normally, in order to fit a certain "quota" almost of sightings.

Other causes have already been mentioned by Daisie Daisie , that of the teen demographic and "10 voices screaming are louder than a thousand voices silent" principle.

Anyway, that's it for my post, hope this tired brain hasn't posted anything too unprocessed...

Other causes have already been mentioned by @Daisie , that of the teen demographic and "10 voices screaming are louder than a thousand voices silent" principle.
I've been blessed by Idea mentioning me.
I've accomplished glory.
Peace ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back