• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Agar Agar - (pro sport giant monster fights)

spacepirate

gͯͣ.̄͑̌ͨ̉͒̚uͪ͌̇̄̈mͫm̃͌͂ͨ̅͗̃ÿ́͐̄̔b̀̉͆͌3̚a̐͋͋̈r
Disclaimer: this isn’t an rp about that game about dots eating each other, but if anyone does make that kind of rp, tag me!

THE year is 2033, and the global issues of energy, security, and even entertainment have all been solved by giant monsters- the kind of 100-foot monstrosities you’d see in low-budget movies, or if you prefer, slightly higher budget movies. Similar to the kaiju of popular imagination, these monsters also rose from the depths of the ocean… or at least, their most crucial component did.

Because you see, these monsters aren’t ’creatures’ in the conventional sense, but the result of mixing up several key ingredients in a chemical bath:

1. A rare species of deep-sea thecosomata or ‘sea butterfly’ discovered deep on the floor of the Arctic ocean
2. Algae based carbohydrates and other solidifying agents
3. A living, breathing human

Don’t worry, the humans and sea butterflies come out of the bath unharmed! But it’s these three things together that give rise to ‘Agars’, giant monsters with bodies created from the raw nutrients and biological components, guided by the rare property of the sea butterfly to condense into a more tangible, permanent form, with the human’s psyche playing the most important role of all- giving the unique form to their Agar. Some say that it’s the person’s most powerful quality that gives rise to an Agar- an insufferably stubborn soldier‘s Agar is plated in an impenetrable armor, a slippery but multifaced insurance agent‘s Agar has a thousand heads with terrifying fangs.

Due to their immense size and destructive powers, these creatures would be almost impossible to defeat, if not for two things:

1. The Agar constructs can only hold their shape in special facilities constructed to simulate the conditions of the ocean floor and
2. The Agar-making process also creates an agar-based weapon that only the specific human can wield, and these are the only weapons that seem to have any effects on the beasts.

SHORTLY after the development of these Agars, the entire world was transformed. Large offshore ‘generators’ were constructed to create agars that would spin turbines, powering entire cities. But few people enjoyed being lowered into a planktony goop, and even less people were keen on the fact that giant monsters were being created so close to their homes. The solution was simple- turn it into a public spectacle!

The rules of Agar Stadiums are simple- fighters are submerged in the baths, their agars, both monster and weapon, are given form, and a forcefield is erected in the stadium to split the area into two. The goal of each match was to destroy your opponent’s agar first. If you’re unfortunate enough to lose to the agar, you lose the match.

Or even your life. Though that’s obviously not as important in the world of pro sports.

These stadiums generated unprecedented amounts of tidal power due to the tremors and chaos of the matches, and even more surprising was the subculture that arose around the fighters, their agars, and their weapons. As stadiums were constructed along the coast of every major population center, these matches became an international phenomenon- both in terms of utility and popular imagination.

Finally, that brings us to today. While matches have always been 1v1 affairs, a new league has arisen that might change the world of Agars forever- the inroduction of teamfights. When multiple people are submerged in the same chemical baths, sometimes the result is nothing at all. Perhaps it was that the sea butterflies couldn’t focus on a core ‘attribute’ to build an Agar around. However, through a few mix-ups, it was discovered that certain people might have ‘compatible’ psyches and could give rise to an even larger, more powerful ‘fusion Agar’ composed of both of their monsters, and of course, their weapons.

So, ready to enter the arena?

OOC:

That’s the general premise! In short, this is going to be an rp that follows a team of professional Agar-fighters as they learn to work as a team and support each other both in and out of the arena. Players will get to create their character, as well as their unique Agar monster and weapon! We’ll work on how these creatures and weapons might fuse in the arena, as well. Given the nature of how these agars are made, I’m thinking that once we do character sheets, it might be easiest for everyone to stick to pure descriptions so they can be as creative as they want with their characters.

Ideally, we get a good divisible number of people. I’m thinking each team maybe has 3 fighters, so if we get a group of 3, we can roll with that, or if we get more, then maybe we can fill up different teams and get some player fights as well. I’m happy to fill either a GM role, or one of the fighters if we need to round out our group. Comment below if you’re interested or if you’ve got any questions!

Super, super interested in this, though not totally sure what character I’d play yet.

Super, super interested in this, though not totally sure what character I’d play yet.
Thanks for the interest! And take your time brainstorming a character. I think I’ll probably give “example” fighters that the players might encounter in the arena, just to make it so everyone has a better idea of how agars work. ^^

Hi!!

How goofy are we taking this rp cuz like I wanna pilot a giant rainbow sea-unicorn!! And like the horn is the agar weapon. oh and is OoC on RPN or discord?

Hi!!

How goofy are we taking this rp cuz like I wanna pilot a giant rainbow sea-unicorn!! And like the horn is the agar weapon. oh and is OoC on RPN or discord?

You can be as goofy as you want! The only creative limit I want to put on the agar monster/weapon designs is to keep them within the site’s rules! Also for the most part, the monsters can’t really talk, although some of them might be able to convey themselves in one way or another. The unicorn being the monster could definitely work in conjunction with the horn as the weapon! Though one clarification is that while your character has full control over their weapon, the ‘monster’ sort of acts with a will of its own. (Though as far as this rp goes, as players, we’ll be controlling our respective monsters!)

As for OOC, I think we’ll stick to the site!

Sooooo like are the giant monsters more like giant fish monsters? They'd need gills right? Or is it more like underwater domes with Godzilla types inside beating each other up?

Sooooo like are the giant monsters more like giant fish monsters? They'd need gills right? Or is it more like underwater domes with Godzilla types inside beating each other up?
They certainly can be, but it’s not a requirement! In fact, the stadiums aren’t necessarily filled with water. After the agars are created out of the chemical bath, the sea butterfly essentially gives it a “form” to keep, and they can walk on land just fine, but only within the stadiums due to the technology “mirroring conditions” of the ocean floor. Things like pressure, but it doesn’t have to be fully aquatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back