Aesthetics & Mastery

The Golden Lion

Athena's Loyal Saint
I'm need of a honest opinion. First off I've been out of roleplaying in general for three years,but was rp figher for five years running. Anyways I go to start a roleplay and have my aesthetics & open minded.  I go to start a roleplay with someone we talk ideas for scenes it goes well, but when it comes to character template they come up with some plain boring description. They get offended by my character template in their words it's loses their interest,I' fine with that if given a proper explanation. The roleplayer stopped replying after my character template. It mean is it wrong to have aesthetics?

I'm not sure why you're replacing details with the word, aesthetics. But people have a tendency to leave roleplays without a word all the time. Sometimes they find it easier than saying something which might hurt someone's feelings I guess. But what you're asking is if having details is bad. The answer is no, a well written up character sheet with good writing is never a bad thing. Sure if the roleplay is casual, you won't find detailed rp character sheets often. But in general no one is going to get mad because of your sheet. They may however, get annoyed if you try using words that don't make sense in place of common place ones which do. 

That's what i'm asking and well i'm a student of swordmanship in real life. So I tend to use the proper name for Techinques. So my refined tastes are the problem.

I would suggest that the players you are playing with are finding it difficult to parse the language you're using, though without seeing an example of the type of description you mean, I cannot be certain. This is not necessarily because they are not familiar with the terminology that you're using, but rather it may be that you are using it in a way that does not fit with the common understanding of the word.

The reason I say that is because of your usage of the word aesthetics. You don't define what you specifically mean by that, and it's not exactly common term in the roleplaying community. My understanding of the term is that it refers to one's artistic preferences, which seems strange to use in this context since it suggests that you may be choosing words out of a preference for complexity rather than an understanding of practicality. The careful construction of word choice and sentence structure will make a post more likely to be understood rather than less. If you're intentionally attempting to use flowery language or suchlike, you can't be surprised when people need you to clarify, so I'm not sure why you're asking the question.

That is the nature of language, if you make it overcomplicated, it's harder for others to understand what you're trying to say. A more complex word is not always preferable to a simpler one. My perspective is that the word which best reflects what you mean is the better one to use, especially if people are having trouble understanding you. I'd advise you to send the pm and ask your rp partner if they feel that there's something wrong with your post or if they've merely gotten bored. It won't hurt to ask for clarification directly.

Just as an additional note, I'd recommend against taking on the mentality that your tastes are inherently more refined then anyone else's. It will stifle your ability to improve in the areas that you need to improve, since you're seemingly unwilling to entertain the possibility that your aesthetic sensibilities (in relation to writing) may actually be what is in need of work. Keep in mind that the people you meet, regardless of age or experience, still have the capacity to teach you things, even if it's simply by inspiring introspection.

I understand and take it to heart. My aestheics are mainly based on swordsmanship principals as it's the core focus in my life. I'll keep myself centered towards.  understanding others. I thank you for helping me in this matter.

Ahh I understand but chemistry takes time, just can't  be felt in a few posts. I'll take that to heart. You have to open mind and not just assume things won't work based on something so small. I guess it's a deal breaker to build up to be methodical. I won't go into that anymore but I guess I should've made it known I was combat roleplayer first to them. Maybe that threw them offguard. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh I understand but chemistry takes time, just can't  be felt in a few posts. I'll take that to heart. You have to open mind and not just assume things won't work based on something so small. I guess it's a deal breaker to build up to be methodical. I won't go into that anymore but I guess I should've made it known I was combat roleplayer first to them. Maybe that threw them offguard. 

I do find that sometimes being blunt is the best way to go. As @ApfelSeine said sometimes just breaking what you want down to its simplest form is best. Even if it seems silly and redundant it will help you when you get back in the grove.

so basically just say ..

I am looking for a combat roleplay involving swordsmanship which I might be nit picky over or whatever.

Also you might want to use more basic words when you talk out of character.

instead of going on about asthetics just state specifically what you want in plain language. As flowering words can be misconstrued and is sometimes hard to understand.

Thank you for your advise. I'll try well i've been adhering to aesthetics for a long time. So it's going to take some time to break try to relate to others.

I thank you all of you for helping me understand to be well understanding towards others. Also quick not judge on such matters.

Are you referring to more metaphorical language? There's some debate among professional writers on whether clarity or art is more important in different genres. Personally, I'm a colored-glass-window writer that likes to create a scene as viewed by a character vs a clear-glass writer who takes a more concrete and impartial view (such as Orwell and most pro writers). Others go full-on poet, but that tends to be more niche so you may not get many takers. 

You can enjoy whatever you want in private, but as the above posters stated, be clear about your requested style when you seek out a RP partner.

It's much like the debate in martial arts like swordsmanship. There's always the pull between the more physical and more spiritual aspects of the art form. Some people want stone-cold reality, which tends towards the more competitive and military end of the spectrum. Some want more integration with their body, so they tend towards the more spiritual and beauty-oriented aspect of the spectrum. Both are correct, so long as you're clear on what you want out of it. And they are not mutually exclusive, but you always have to strike a balance between the two.

Yes i'm swordsmanship student in real life Kendo & Kenjutsu is my focus. That's my style make my movements & kata's fluid in words. I'll still have my aesthetics but try to understand others well being turned off by my style.

If I might ask a somewhat silly question, what is your typical roleplay like? Like what are you looking for in a successful roleplay experience? In a good partner?

See for me I'm here primarily to have fun and make some friends, telling fun stories is just a way I accomplish that. This means I tend to be more lenient on the technical aspects ( writing , characters, plot, etc. ) now that doesn't mean I want no development of plot/story/character just that I'm more lenient on how exactly I get there. This versus one of my friends who roleplays to explore real world social/political issues. They tend to be more interested in the plot or character development and getting things accurate and realistic versus just chilling and having a good time. 

Now both ways of roleplaying are perfectly fine but it can make things a little difficult when what your looking for in a roleplay is different than what your partner is looking for. 

That's why I recommend like defining for yourself and for your partners exactly what your looking for. This makes it easier to spot people that aren't going to be compatible and also entice people who might want similar things.

It's not silly at all more than happy to answer it. It's usually if combat roleplay i'm focused on respecting my enemy but still outsmarting them. Hoping we can become friends after that battle of wills. Now for story/romance I'm wanting fluid plot development,twists and be able to laugh. I'm serious on some things just being told my style is a turn off kinda grinds my gears for that moment.  I'll be upfront about what i want,thank you Rae was it? For a partner one with a open mind,smart,able to challenge my limits.and overall have fun with.

It's hit/miss I find primal joy in combat. Although story telling is something I like to do with those I trust mainly. I've seen the link and have posted there already a couple of times.

It's hit/miss I find primal joy in combat. Although story telling is something I like to do with those I trust mainly. I've seen the link and have posted there already a couple of times.

Well just to forewarn you most of the people are here for storytelling to a certain extent. Combat is typically just a means to an end. Not to say there aren't some combat Roleplays but most are more about telling some kind of story.

this because in my experience combat isn't something a lot of people on this site know how to do outside of dice systems or just back and forth punching.

or the ever popular God beast awesome lords that kill everything with their magic katana of amazingness and end the entire plot in like two posts.

so I think your best bet might be to post in like personal discussions or to look through the 1x1 or group interest checks and see if you can find some people you like hanging out with first then try to work in combat.

Alright and I've done storytelling before with friends it lasted about eight months before it died. Also I use balanced rpc's not OP ones they're distasteful.

You want my honest opinion? I hate big character sheets, don't give me a damn essay to write. To me it's like a resume, just the small important details, the character can be learned more in the rp.

Alright and I've done storytelling before with friends it lasted about eight months before it died. Also I use balanced rpc's not OP ones they're distasteful.

You misunderstood I mean the people on this site tend to not be the best at combat for the reasons listed.  I'm not saying you do those things I meant others would do that.

Yeah as I said the people on this site tend not to focus on combat as a rule.

I haven't fenced before (mostly due to lack of opportunity), but I've done enough medieval rps to do my homework on the subject. I've studied names as far back as Talhoffer, Liechtenaur, Fiore dei liberi, as well the stuff coming out of the modern schools. I like to bury myself in material related to my rp subjects; it helps with the muse.

But I understand what it's like writing about actual techniques and physics with others who're using anime stuff. It's kind of a pain having to rewrite post after post because they don't understand what you're saying or describing. 

I haven't fenced before (mostly due to lack of opportunity), but I've done enough medieval rps to do my homework on the subject. I've studied names as far back as Talhoffer, Liechtenaur, Fiore dei liberi, as well the stuff coming out of the modern schools. I like to bury myself in material related to my rp subjects; it helps with the muse.

But I understand what it's like writing about actual techniques and physics with others who're using anime stuff. It's kind of a pain having to rewrite post after post because they don't understand what you're saying or describing. 

A fellow swordsman how wonderful I've studied many japanese swordmanship. And finally someone who get my pain. When I speak in term like this i'm said i'm fro th 1920's Honestly martials arts is something is not  path for the weak.

A fellow swordsman how wonderful I've studied many japanese swordmanship. And finally someone who get my pain. When I speak in term like this i'm said i'm fro th 1920's Honestly martials arts is something is not  path for the weak.

I did some martial arts when I was younger, but it was mostly to strengthen my surfing form. I wouldn't dream of pretending I'm an expert or anything. 

That said, I don't half ass much of anything. If I'm going to write about something, I do it full-blast or not at all. My favorite genre is medieval/dark fantasy. You can believe I've studied every bit of combat manual I could get my hands on on top of watching modern-day names in the fencing community on youtube. Some of it is a bit Hollywood, but in writing, it all comes down to how to fully captivate your audience. If it means exaggerating a few of the techniques or toning down the technical terms, I'll do it in a heartbeat. 

I did some martial arts when I was younger, but it was mostly to strengthen my surfing form. I wouldn't dream of pretending I'm an expert or anything. 

That said, I don't half ass much of anything. If I'm going to write about something, I do it full-blast or not at all. My favorite genre is medieval/dark fantasy. You can believe I've studied every bit of combat manual I could get my hands on on top of watching modern-day names in the fencing community on youtube. Some of it is a bit Hollywood, but in writing, it all comes down to how to fully captivate your audience. If it means exaggerating a few of the techniques or toning down the technical terms, I'll do it in a heartbeat. 

I agree and maninly use samurai/anime/fantasy verses. I'm just set on displaying the true form of techniques for all to watch & admire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back