• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom ɪɴꜱᴜʀɢᴇɴᴄʏ - ᴀɴ ᴀᴠᴀᴛᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ᴀɪʀʙᴇɴᴅᴇʀ ʙᴀꜱᴇᴅ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏ (Accepting new members)

Characters
Here

pudgefudges

Unlucky ducky

The Insurgency - An ATLA Based Roleplay

The Avatar is missing

It's the beginning of the fourth age in Republic City and going on the 100th year without the Avatar. Since the war ended the Avatar was needed less and less, and now for citizens the principle of a person who can weld all four elements seems like a distant memory. People went about their lives, non-benders and benders alike have lived in harmony. But.. something is going on behind closed doors, within the shadows, in secret, and things are becoming awry. There is a dark force who has been plotting, The Grim. This mysterious force is not so much a who, but a what. They are outlaws, cast away from society for extremist views on bending. They believe that non-benders should submit, become slaves even. Over time they have become powerful, using dark magic to make their bending stronger. They were formed during the war, by a name named Vexx Crowe. Since his passing 5 years ago, it has fallen on his children to keep his extremist beliefs alive.

Meanwhile, the Republic City council has caught wind of this dictator idealistic group. While running out of options, they believe that the only way to stop this powerful group is to find the Avatar. Thus they have scoured Republic City looking for a group of individuals who could be up to such a task. They need bravery, cunning, and the utmost ability to do what's right. These individuals can come from anywhere, only a union of non-benders and benders alike can save the world from the uprising of The Grim. What they don't know is that they will not be the only ones looking. The Grim could use the Avatar's powers for their own, enslave them, and turn them into a weapon. This must not come to pass, as this story will become....

A race to find the Avatar

Current story progression

- As the growing threat of The Grim grows stronger a series of individuals are summoned to the council for an unknown mission

- Leaders of The Grim gather to discuss their next move

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.13.55 PM.png
(Credit goes to u/J-Alpha62 on Reddit)

Joining forms - Please post them on the character page
Fandom - Insurgency - Character page

Name:
(Please only choose between the four main elements, also put non-bender if so)
Appearance:
Personality/background:

Why they were chosen for the Insurgency:

Name:

(Please only choose between the four main elements, also put non-bender if so)
Appearance:
Personality/background:

Why they joined The Grim:

Last edited:
[ Would anyone be interested in playing the brother character who is on the evil side? Also, i'm going to make the first post! ]

Several letters and messengers are sent out into Republic City to retrieve various individuals ranging in skill level and expertise.

Zai sat with his head between his legs in the great hall entrance to the council building. When he first got the message he honestly thought he was in trouble, maybe something from his underground fighting past had come to light? Yet when his whole pro-bending team got the summons he didn't feel like that was it at all. It felt strange, as if everyone else didn't know why they were here either. I hope the team gets here soon, he thought. They were familiar to him, even if they were annoying sometimes, they put him at ease.

Meanwhile....

Kanna was in her "bedroom" staring at herself in the mirror. Since her fathers passing they had been underground and bedrooms were more like holes in the wall at the moment. Sometimes she didn't recognize her reflection. This started at a young age when Kanna's father, Vexx had trained them that Cyrus was the brains and Kanna was the bronze. She has had her body pushed to the limits all her life. She remembers the bruises, beatings, and humiliation her father would give her as a child, which he deemed as "practicing". Kanna respected her father greatly, but that doesn't mean he didn't leave some scars, literally. She shuddered and shook off the thought, it's time to focus were onto something big. After one last look in the mirror she left to go find her brother, they had planning to do.

Last edited:
Charlie arrived at the council building, walking with confidence like usual, though she was anything but confident as she had no idea why she was there. She quickly spotted Zai as she entered the great hall, and walked over to him, taking a seat two chairs away from him. "Do you know why we are here?" She asked, a bit nervous. Maybe something was wrong? No, always look at the bright side, what if they were getting awarded or something! Though she would think they would get a heads up if that were the case- she just didn't want to think of the other, less likeable option.

(Speck, I edited my post above to add a part about Kanna if you wanted to introduce Cyrus as well)

Zai looked up at the question. He wasn't sure how to answer, because he had no idea either. He shrugged, "maybe they are changing the rules of pro-bending or something?" but he didn't feel confident in his answer especially since he didn't recognize a lot of the others as pro-benders. She looked a little nervous and Zai felt a brotherly instinct come over him. "I'm sure everything is fine, hopefully we will hear something soon." He said half-smiling.

(alright, I'll do this post to introduce Cyrus then wait for others :) )

Charlie nodded, "yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine." She said, rubbing her arm and sitting back in the chair. They hadn't done anything wrong... But what if they did change the rules of pro bending and she was supposed to know about it but she didn't and they broke a rule and were going to get punished?! She blew off the idea, knowing she was overthinking things.
_____
Cyrus was sitting in his room, flipping through a book he carried on him almost constantly. Maps, names, people he needed to contact, things that were important to him. He never let it go, not because he was worried it would get into the wrong hands, simply because it comforted him to have the information in a book so he wouldn't forget about anything. If he did lose the book, it wouldnt be a terrible thing. Nothing had any context so it would be pretty much useless information. Standing up and flipping the book shut, he took his bag and put it on, also sliding a few knives into the bag before shutting it. He needed to meet his sister. He hoped she wouldn't be in a bad mood today, that was never a fun thing. He exited the room and started down the hall.

Walking in front of the council building a tall, tan-skinned man lazily yawned before looking down at his hand, holding a half-open envelope sent to him "So this is the famous council building, looks fancy. *exhale* If it wasn't for Zai being so insistent that I actually showed up for once I would have completely blown this joint. I could be sleeping right now or better yet finding some cute girls or literally anything else. Welp, I guess when authority calls it is hard to refuse." he thought to himself before stretching a bit and entering. There, he saw his two teammates sitting, seemingly talking to each other, grinning Shio decided to joke around and snuck up behind Charlie, plopping his head on top of hers. "Man I can't believe the council has such a cute headrest! Captian you should have told me this earlier, then I would have come earlier!" he said playfully, his eyes still half-open.
pudgefudges pudgefudges TheSpeck TheSpeck

[ I also just added a non-bender character for the Insurgency side! I think i'm going to wait until a few other people get there characters in today and then we can move forward with the plot ^__^ ]

Zai rolled his eyes, but was relieved Shio at least showed up. He was worried that he would blow it off and Zai would have to go hunting for him, again. Zai hadn't liked Shio at first, he seemed like a party animal and Zai just didn't let loose like that. But when he saw how adept Shio's skills were in waterbending he knew he had to have him for the team. Even though it had only been a few months since they started competing together he knew this was a team that could take it to the top. He respected Shio for his skills, but he still got on him nerves from time to time. "Nice of you to show up." Zai said, a hint of annoyance in his voice. Even though deep down he was relieved yet again that another person he trusted was there.

As Kanna traveled farther down the hallway she spotted her brothers coming up on her. "Cyrus! Perfect, just who I was coming to see." She loved her brother, she looked up to him. He was the brains, the planner, the responsible one. But this time Kanna had a plan and she couldn't wait to share it. "I have been thinking, since our father passed he always had a dream of achieving ultimate power yet that power was always limited to earth bending. And my power is as well, so is all of of followers power. Limited to one element. But.. What if we could have control of someone with unlimited power." She paused for dramatic effect, she had been thinking about this possibility for a long time. "What if we tried to find and subdue the Avatar?"

Wyn pulled down her hood and brushed her blonde hair out of her face before looking up at the council building before her. Her anxiety was at an all time high, i've never been summoned before, she thought still trying to work through her mind why she was here. This has been a thought looming over her head since she got the message yesterday to come here. She shuffled the stack of books in her hands and with a sigh she stepped into the common room. Wyn saw a few others sitting, including a team sitting together. Is that the pro-bending team she saw on tv sometimes? Being a non-bender she obviously didn't participate but she had seen a few matches. She quickly turned the other way and found a seat on the opposite side. She plopped down with her stack and adjusted her glasses.

Fen woke up with a start. "Oh no, what time is it?" She scrambled for her alarm clock and her eyes widened when she looked at the time. "I'm late, I'm sooo late." She hurried up and went to shower. The council had sent an invite and though she didn't know what it was about, she was hoping for something positive. After all, what beef would the council have against her? However, if she got there late, she might very well give them a reason to take an action against her. No, what was she thinking? Nothing was going to happen. It was a good day and everything was going to turn out fine, she told herself as she got ready.

She made her way to the council building as quickly as possible. When she reached there, she spotted Zai, Charlie and Shio chatting together. Others were also there, some she did recognize, some she didn't. There were some non benders as well. That was interesting. What was going on?

She went and sat down next to Zai. "Do you have any idea what's going on? Did they give any information before I came in because the invite is pretty mysterious."

With a yelp of fear Charlie nearly slapped Shio in the face, though she stopped her hand around an inch away from him. "Oh! Shio! Sorry haha you scared me." She said with a small laugh.
____

Cyrus had to come to an abrupt stop as he was suddenly facing his sister. He hadn't realized she was already in the hall, and it took him a second to recognize her purely from the shock of someone stopping in front of him. "Oh! There you are, what is it you wanted to talk about?" He asked, smiling like he usually did. He was lucky to have Kanna as a sister... All the brats he had seen before, imagine if he had a sister like that! No, Kanna was strong and powerful, she didn't need to complain. He wished he could be that strong.... But he wasn't jealous, he loved his sister, she deserved to have her skills.

As he listened to her idea he momentarily paused, not responding right away. The avatar? That seemed dangerous... Not that he was scared- he definitely wasn't scared... Although deep down he knew he was, but there was no room to show weakness. Maybe he could finally live up to his parents expectations! He always felt he wasn't good enough, they were always disappointed in him for not having bending skills... But no, he wasn't useless, he can prove that to them! "That's a great idea, if we can pull it off correctly. Do you have a plan to find the avatar?" He asked calmly.

[ I'll make a plot post tonight about the council giving us the mission so we can start the real adventure haha :3
Anyone have any suggestions so far? ]

Kanna listened to her brothers questions intently, she was surprised, Cyrus did not take to new ideas lightly unless he felt strongly about them. Kanna opened her mouth but quickly closed it, she didn't want to mix her words up, and she was honestly expecting more push back of the idea. She took a moment to gather her thoughts, "I am not sure where to start looking, I mean the Avatar seemed like stories when we were young. But what if we actually found them? The amount of power we would hold." She paused again to think. "I feel like we are a strong organization but I think we need to find more allies. Remember how father used to have allies in the fire kingdom? Maybe we could start there, and they possibly could have information of the Avatars whereabouts." She paused again, shifting her weight onto her other leg and waited for her brothers response.

______

For a moment Kai wasn't sure where the question came from, he hadn't even heard the girl sit down. Almost like she was quiet as the air itself. He spun around in his chair to face her. "Oh hi.." he started, a little uneasy that she had sat so close. "No, no one has come out yet. We're all still waiting." He wished he had more to tell her, but he was waiting on more information himself. "My invite did not give any indication either, I thought it was just for pro-benders but I don't see any others here. Are you a pro-bender?"

______

Wyn sat quietly, she shuffled through her books again and tried not to listen in on everyones conversation. She had enough going on in her mind at the moment.

Zai seemed spooked. Had Fen done the sneaky thing again? She really needed to stop moving like a breeze, people did not like that sometimes. It was certainly helpful when she deliberately wanted to be sneaky.

She couldn't believe she was sitting with the pro-bending team. They were so cool on tv and in the matches but here they looked like normal people and that was a relief to Fen because she was going to become a pro-bender soon and she didn't cool enough for the title.

"Um, no. Not yet but soon though. Who knows, if a spot is open, I'll join your team." She smiled, quite enthusiastic. "Also, thank goodness no one's here yet. That means, I'm technically on time." This was strange. Why were they all waiting? And not just the benders but the non-benders as well. Now that Fen was here, it looked like something important was going to be announced. Something important to even require the pro-benders' attendance.

"I'm Fen, by the way. I'm an air-bender."

Cyrus paused once again with a small frown on his face, although this wasn't pointed at his sister, he simply was thinking of what to do. "I don't think the fire kingdom would help us with such an underdeveloped plan, so if we went there we should ask about the avatar before we ask them for any help. The mission could be extremely dangerous, and a lot of people may die, so they would need to know they would get something out of helping us first." He said, and randomly started thinking of other things they would need to do.

They would need enough supplies to get them to the avatar, which would mean food, water, shelter, means of transportation that would hold a group of people, specialized clothing in case they travel somewhere with extreme weather conditions, weapons, places to sleep, a map, probably a set traveling time so people wouldn't get restless, they would also need special restraints that would be able to hold the avatar.... Along with that they need to find the avatar, and assemble a team strong enough to capture them.. he realized he had completely spaced out and was just staring at Kanna like he had never seen her before in his life. He blinked a few times and regained eye contact.

"Sorry, so... We need people who would be able to take down the avatar. Pretty sure the avatar is supposedly extremely strong."
____

Charlie peeked around Zai and saw a new person. "Hello!" She said happily, smiling.

Seeing Zai roll his eyes and hearing his captain's slightly annoyed tone Shio only managed to get out "Calm down Hot-" before quickly moving his head away from Charlie's near slap. His eyes wide open, attentive of what could have been, he knew the power of Charlie's slap, and that was one thing he didn't want to experience again. Then calming down after seeing her worry he smirked, holding his cheek, and pretended to be in pain "Ugh, the pain is too much, I- I don't think I can hold on any longer!" dramatically collapsing on the ground, then he acted as though he was waking up and said while looking at the girls in the hall "Am, am I in heaven cause all I see are angels." Before turning to Zai and with a fake disappointed sigh and frown said "Oh, never mind."

TheSpeck TheSpeck Vi_Vi_ Vi_Vi_ pudgefudges pudgefudges

[ I am so happy with this roleplay ^__^, thank you all for joining
Now.. Ahem... *Cue dramatic music* ]

Suddenly with no warning, all of the counselor members appeared before the crown of misfits. They all bowed their heads and welcomed everyone into the main conference room. Some were stone-faced, some looked concerned, it felt as if they all had a sense of urgency. After everyone took their seats, one particular woman stepped forward, dressed in traditional earth-bending clothes.

“Welcome all, thank you for being here…”

She paused and glanced around at everyone.

“As you may know, this meeting's agenda has been kept from you. That is because it is of utmost importance and not ready to be shared to the public yet. You have been chosen because you all possess specific skills that we believe, together, can be very powerful.”

The women started to pace around the front of the room.

“You all may not be aware, but there is a dark force threatening the lives of non-benders and benders alike. It is called The Grim.” As she said the words, images began to appear on a large screen behind her. They consisted of fire, death, and short images of Vexx Crowe and his children in battle formations.

“This force used to be controlled by a man named Vexx Crowe, since his passing the organization has been passed to his children.” She paused while looking down. “These individuals are not to be taken lightly, they are destructive, they are murderers, and most importantly they are now looking for something that we feel could be the end of Republic City, and possibly the world if fallen into their hands.” The woman paused a final time and scanned the room, hoping to have everyone's utmost attention for what she was about to say.

“The reason we need you all is because we are forming a resistance force to find the Avatar. We want to know if you are all up to the task...."

Zai carefully followed the rest of his team when the council came to get them. He looked around at all the bending art on the walls, fire nation emblems, waterbenders fighting, images of Ba-Sing-Se and the Airbender Temple. This really was the first place in the world where everyone lived together, this was all Zai had ever known. When they reached the room Zai sat down by his team again, and the wispy airbending girl. He began to listen intently.

Wyn came up the back of the group, she wanted to stay unnoticed. As she was walking one of the maps on the top of her stack got shuffled off and floated to the floor. She stopped for a minute to pick it up then tried to hurry after the rest of the group.

By the time the woman had finished the hair on the back of Zai's neck had stood up. Find the Avatar? Dark forces? The Grim? A million questions were going through his mind. He tried to open his mouth to say something but nothing came up. At a loss for words, he looked to the others to see their reactions.

As Wyn listened the more weary she became. She had heard of The Grim but never knew they could have potential of being devastatingly dangerous. Wyn looked down at her books and maps.
Why am I here? I'm no bender, how could I be of help? She could feel her cheeks burn red and she wanted to run and hide. Keeping her head down she hoped someone would say something to the council so it didn't have to be her.

Fen waved at Charlie. "Hey, nice to meet you." Before she could introduce herself to the girl, Shio's antics distracted her. He was so playful. She forgot all of this as the council members appeared. All of them looked majestic and radiated power. As the earth-bender in the middle started speaking, Fen realized her mouth was open. She quickly closed it and flushed, hoping no one saw that.

The conference room was filled with concerned faces. What was going on? Fen asked herself for the umpteenth time. She glanced briefly at a nervous girl who had dropped her maps but she forced herself to focus on the woman

And then the woman started revealing it all. The Avatar? She had thought it was all a sort of myth or legend, surely not reality. A person who could bend all the four elements... If such a person really did exist then the Grim should never get its hands on them.

Fen was sitting with the pro-benders and the woman finished speaking, she whispered, "That's so messed up." into the silence of the chamber.

Charlie was about to make a sassy remark at Shio, but got distracted as the council members walked in. She suddenly felt a lot smaller... They seemed so incredibly powerful... Why would they ever need help from the civilians? As she listened, her eyes widened a bit. The grim? Trying to get the avatar? THE AVATAR?? They were real?!

No one was speaking, so she spoke up, "How.... Uh... How exactly are we supposed to do that? From what you're saying the people we would be facing sound real dangerous..." She said hesitantly in a small voice. "And the avatar is..." She trailed off, not finishing her sentence.

The councilwomen wasn't surprised at the responses she was getting. She knew this was a daunting mission, but she and the others on the Council felt that Republic City was running out of options. She cleared her throat "We have been working with allies and have a few ideas of where to start looking. Tonight we will do a briefing and a time for you to gather your belongings, in the morning you will be given supplies. We know that Grim is dangerous and I want to make this clear that this is a mission that could take anyones lives here in this room. But this is a call to action, you are the few that we know could do it if you work together. Don't do it for us, do it for Republic City, your families and friends, and much more, do it for the fate of non-benders and benders alike" She trailed off, hoping her hero speech would woo them. "Also, if the mission is successful you and your families will receive hefty compensation." She added, for those who needed something extra to convince them. If you do not want to continue on this path, now is the time to leave."

*Several others got up from their chairs and excited the chambers as quick as possible*

[ Do ya'll wanna maybe fast-forward until the next morning? I'm also thinking they start in Chu City? I was just looking at the map and it looks like a village outside of Ba Sing Se. Let me know if anyones has any ideas for battles and enemies attacking ]

Kanna looked at her brother and nodded, "yes and I think the Fire Nation may be the best place to start. I haven't quite worked out how to restrain the Avatar buuut knowing your brain i'm sure you'll think of something." Kana smirked, she knew if they achieved this they would carry on their fathers legacy and more.

Last edited:
[It would be better if we jump to the next morning because until there's something to drive the plot, we'll be stuck describing the situation from different perspectives]

Fen frowned. She did not like the whole "taking lives thing". She was brave, yes but losing her life for a mission that seemed futile from the start was not on her priority list. Hefty compensation though, she could get behind that. People were going to need such a motivation in order to risk their lives. She usually had a positive outlook on everything but what the council was talking about seemed quite crazy. She wasn't going to leave though. She may not be stupidly brave but she wasn't a coward either. Besides, she wanted to see how it would all turn out. She was glad of one thing here that she was considered skilled enough to be included on this mission.

(Shit my bad for not posting yesterday guys, was doing some studying)

Shio stood up after the council member arrived to meet the group, he didn't have much time to think before he was ushered into a new room, to being the explanation of why they where all called. He looked at the images of waterbender on the wall and slightly whistled at the intricate designs. Then taking his seat, he looked at the council member.

However, he didn't pay much attention onto the women's foretelling of some great evil and....
"OH shit!" He realized he was falling asleep and forced himself awake, before he knew it people where standing up from their seats and walking out of the hallway. "Wait, what why are people leaving?" thinking to himself, he turned to see his two teammates still in their seats and decided to just play it cool and pretend he knew everything. "I'll just ask Zai about what the meeting was afterwards, it's probably nothing." He looked around to find Zai and gave him a thumbs up or thumbs down, trying to ask if what is happening is a good thing or bad thing.

Charlie stayed where she was, wanting to leave but also wanting to help. She didn't want to die! But she also didn't want others to get killed because she didn't do anything! What if someones life was in her hands, and she just didn't know it yet? Torn between fear and guilt, she stayed where she was, unable to move from her seat.

(Shit my bad for not posting yesterday guys, was doing some studying)

Shio stood up after the council member arrived to meet the group, he didn't have much time to think before he was ushered into a new room, to being the explanation of why they where all called. He looked at the images of waterbender on the wall and slightly whistled at the intricate designs. Then taking his seat, he looked at the council member.

However, he didn't pay much attention onto the women's foretelling of some great evil and....
"OH shit!" He realized he was falling asleep and forced himself awake, before he knew it people where standing up from their seats and walking out of the hallway. "Wait, what why are people leaving?" thinking to himself, he turned to see his two teammates still in their seats and decided to just play it cool and pretend he knew everything. "I'll just ask Zai about what the meeting was afterwards, it's probably nothing." He looked around to find Zai and gave him a thumbs up or thumbs down, trying to ask if what is happening is a good thing or bad thing.
(I literally almost blew water out of my nose because I just imagined Zai being all serious and intently listening and then looking over at Shiro who is asking for a thumbs up or thumbs down and being like wtf are you doing lmaoooo but no worries about the posting)

(Okay i'll do some fast-forwarding, I just wanted to get the base plot down! If you all want maybe you can make quick note about why they decided to say yes? Whatever you prefer ^___^ )

Though Zim's head was spinning he saw Shiro out of the corner of his eye giving him a thumbs up or down. Wtf? Zim face-palmed his forehead and couldn't believe that this man hadn't listened to anything about this life or death opportunity. In the end, Zim decided to go for the money. His sister was still sick and he knew that if they had more money maybe she would get better. Maybe they would find the Avatar. It was a lot of maybes, but pro-bending pay wasn't cutting it.

Wyn now knew why they asked her to come with all of her maps of Ba Sing Se and various others areas. All of her life she has dreamt of something more, something with more purpose. Yeah being part of the infrastructure team in Republic City was great but nothing like this. She knew that The Grim was very against non-benders and what if her livelihood would get taken away because of it? Wyn decided to go, after all they would need her help to map the way.

*Fast-forward to the next morning - Everyone is getting their supplies and maybe choose their mode of transportation.. Sky Bison, train, car, walking, etc.*

Wyn was sitting down studying her maps, a couple different routes crossed her mind. She sighed and waited for the others to arrive, feeling very antsy.

Zim zipped up his pack. He had said his goodbyes late in the night to his sister and mom, but didn't sleep much after that. Too much anticipation for what would happen next. He saw the others gathering and heard that they would start in a smaller town outside of Ba Sing Se. He hadn't even been a few miles out of Republic City all his life so he wasn't sure what to expect. He knew one thing though, he was a good leader. He had led pro-bending teams all the way to the top before, almost to the winners circle several times but he was always just a little bit short. Shaking away the thought he approached the group, "Are we ready to go? What are we traveling on?" He asked, hoping it wasn't on foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back