Tutorial A World Building Primer

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Welcome once more, friends and neighbours, to a tutorial with The Meanest Senpai.

Today, I’m going to talk to you about world-building in the context of roleplaying. This won’t be the most comprehensive guide, as usual, and will hopefully serve as a gateway to your own learning. I’m going to present it as if you were writing an in-depth setting for multiple roleplays.

If you’d like me to talk about world-building in a more literary context, tell me so and convince me it’s worth the time.

Why World-Build?

There are two reasons to world-build - context, and fun. Yes, this is something that can just be fun but at the same time, it’s likely to add a lot to your RP. When it comes to contextualizing your plots and characters, solid world-building really helps; it can inspire your players with character ideas, NPCs, and maybe even make them want to use it to tell their own stories in another time. A well developed world gives context and weigh to words and actions.

For example, if I’m not clear on the power dynamics of your world, and a character runs straight up a vertical wall to backflip off and blow up a helicopter with their magic sword - is that normal?

Should my character be impressed, or shocked, or terrified? Is this just a Tuesday in a crazy-powerful anime world or are we looking at an Earth-like world where everything, in that moment, is changed for the characters witnessing it?

It also means when a player asks you a question that isn’t answered, the answer is clearer to you. If your setting is just ‘futuristic’ and a player asks about nanomachines, do you have an answer for them? On the other hand, if you’ve got a well-developed near-future cyberpunk world, and the player asks, you might reply “nanomachines are in their early developmental stages, but they’re a valuable field of research and Hades Inc. is making great strides so far.”

See what we get out of that?

1. Nanomachines are not common technology available easily to players.
  2. Hades Inc. is a powerful corp who may be worth working for or stealing from.
  3. When you introduce a nanomachine-empowered miniboss later on, the characters might surmise she's from Hades Inc.’s experimental warfare division.

Goddamn - foreshadowing, world-building, player and plot management all in one answer.

That’s another nice thing about serious world-building - when you stop and think carefully about the ramifications of your world’s various conceits, you can come up with new and interesting ideas you hadn’t previously considered.

Finally, once you’ve built a sufficiently detailed world, you can use it over several RPs. As an example, I can probably run RPs set in Imeria for the rest of my life.

Players are notoriously hard to get to read anything. While the notes for your world-building maybe should sprawl to a few thousand words, trim it back to what players need to know and their characters are likely to know. You can keep the rest for when they ask questions, and mostly for your own use.

You can also encourage players to extrapolate from what you’ve provided them and build on it.

Where to Start?

I’m going to list and explain a number of steps, here. You are free to skip steps as you like. I’ll operate on the assumption you’re building a world from scratch, but I’ll also talk about augmenting the real world at some point.

• This part will likely be almost unconscious. This is where you decide on your themes and genre, and the ‘gimmick’ of your setting; the thing that makes it stand out or facilitates the story or experience you want to create.

This part is, honestly, a bit nebulous, but consider things like the time period you want, the themes and aesthetics you plan to use, the rough plot of your RP. The shorter and more focused the plot of your RP, the less world-building you need to do.

Thank you for reading. I hope this was helpful, and if you have questions or complaints, say the word.

What is human culture?

No, come on, humans are a race. What’s our culture?

Yes, of course that’s a stupid question. We have cultural divisions within nations, within communities - so why would other sentients be any different? If your non-humans have a monoculture, that can be a significant element of your setting. Look how alien the Elves, are - they have one culture spread across the world; how do they maintain it? Are they psychic, a hivemind, do they have some powerful magic? All questions players or player characters may ask.

While I'd encourage you to avoid classic fantasy races in favour of doing something more original, compelling, or interesting with them - if only for honing your skills - if you feel your story wouldn't work without them, use them.

Last edited:
A tutorial delivered in adequate length, complimented with an easy and well-tailored language suite which would attract the most amount of interest to the wonders of the idea of worldbuilding. I liked the questions you asked, and as an avid fan of world-building myself, found myself appreciating them in your tutorial.

What few may realize about worldbuilding, and when making stories, is that it is all about asking questions, and as such, your tutorial does well in what it is strangely enough supposed to do. It poses a set of literary tools for which people may examine their own settings and expand them.

Much appreciated, would be fun to experience one of your stories in the future.

Side-note, I liked your blurb on roleplayers.

The issue I have wkth world building is all I did was make a map of a continent and people just did not care. I love world building, but I need a tutorial for getting them to look away from the latest memes and read about the poor elves who were tricked by a pther worldly patron into sacrificing themselves for safety.

But alas, I will check this out in depth later.

0/10 if youre not sponsored by world anvil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back