• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
"I'm sorry." Accepting the scolding, she apologized again as Xeria continued to reprimand her. She let Xeria pull away easily and weakly blinked in reaction to the chop delivered to her her head, not dodging or catching the hand as she let the witch do whatever. Or couldn't stop her, with the blank face of the summon it was difficult to tell what feelings lay behind her abyssal eyes. "I didn't know." Was all she responded with to Xeria's reasonable claims and question, looking down and to the right as she let the fledgling witch continue. Or, well, she meant to, but the rampage seemed to have tapered off with Xeria calming down, and Kuroi slowly drew her gaze back to observe Xeria from under the cover of some disheveled strands of black hair, looking for her expression and trying to read the unexpected mood. The overly dim light in the room cast deep shadows over both of them, and Kuroi's eyes and senses were struggling enough through the confusion without the further disadvantage.

"Next time, you tell me if you start feeling unwell, okay?" With Kuroi awake, Xeria felt comfortable enough with letting some light return to the room so they could properly see. A quick snap of her fingers and a spell under her breath brought life back to the one candle that sat on her nightstand, enough that each could see the state that the other was in. Kuroi looked like someone who had nearly drowned, with her stringy hair and skin glistening with leftover water that Xeria neglected to wipe off. The Witch herself was nearly as indecent as her summon though; her nightdress was practically lingerie with how transparent it had become, and her scruffy appearance meant parts of her already disastrous hair had conspicuous flaps and curls.

If Kuroi didn't already know better, the outrageous flaps of hair Xeria sported could've been mistaken for cat ears... Was it bad that Xeria looked good with imagined cat ears?

"Whew; it's almost gone cold, but it's still good enough to eat." Xeria had completely forgotten about the wooden plate of fish and vegetables that she left on the nightstand! Thankfully it was still warm enough to safely eat. "Here... I got you something from the kitchens earlier today since you weren't waking up all day. I figured you needed something light since you once you did though..." Xeria was fairly obvious at her attempts to remain chivalrous and not ogle; several times she had to take her gaze to some random part of her room or the platter she was holding. "Um... I'll get a cloth to dry you off, and maybe put my coat over your shoulders until I figure out where I put your clothes..."

Last edited:
"Next time, you tell me if you start feeling unwell, okay?"
Kuroi finally looked straight at Xeria before shaking her head and stating more clearly this time, "I didn't know. That I was not doing well." She added the second half of the statement for clarification, wondering if her initial statement had been misunderstood or mistranslated. Either way, she made it clear this time that she was referring to her deteriorating physical state. She hadn't even really 'noticed' her worsening condition as much as she had 'expected' it, and there was a very clear distinction between the two to her. She still could have warned Xeria that the possibility was there, but the encounter had been a startling surprise and...

As she looked over the disheveled wreck of her summoner, she lightly shook her head again for reasons only known to herself.

"Whew; it's almost gone cold, but it's still good enough to eat." Xeria had completely forgotten about the wooden plate of fish and vegetables that she left on the nightstand! Thankfully it was still warm enough to safely eat. "Here... I got you something from the kitchens earlier today since you weren't waking up all day. I figured you needed something light since you once you did though..." Xeria was fairly obvious at her attempts to remain chivalrous and not ogle; several times she had to take her gaze to some random part of her room or the platter she was holding. "Um... I'll get a cloth to dry you off, and maybe put my coat over your shoulders until I figure out where I put your clothes..."
Kuroi was going to suggest that they prioritize drying her off to the witch, still suppressing the shivers that itched to rattle through her cold and wet body, but Xeria seemed to realize that herself. Though, Kuroi noticed something strange about how Xeria's eyes seemed to flit around the room as the witch continued playing caretaker, and tilted her head slightly to the right as she examined the witches mannerisms. With Xeria saying nothing more, and avoiding looking at her even as she came close to cover her with her oversized coat, Kuroi was left to come to her own conclusions as someone who had gone years without being reminded of the social awkwardness of nakedness in a private setting. "Do you feel guilty?" ... In a way, the conclusion she came to wasn't wrong.

Kuroi looked Xeria in the eye while asking the question, having yet to touch the food. Unlike a certain witch, the summon's eyes did not stray or move erratically, focused and unperturbed by anything. As the silence dragged on for a few moments, Xeria's eyes still unable to meet hers, Kuroi wondered if she had maybe made a mistake... But it definitely seemed like they both needed to have a better understanding of the other, with everything that had happened, so she felt that her trying to ask if Xeria felt responsible was not mistaken.

Kuroi was going to suggest that they prioritize drying her off to the witch, still suppressing the shivers that itched to rattle through her cold and wet body, but Xeria seemed to realize that herself. Though, Kuroi noticed something strange about how Xeria's eyes seemed to flit around the room as the witch continued playing caretaker, and tilted her head slightly to the right as she examined the witches mannerisms. With Xeria saying nothing more, and avoiding looking at her even as she came close to cover her with her oversized coat, Kuroi was left to come to her own conclusions as someone who had gone years without being reminded of the social awkwardness of nakedness in a private setting. "Do you feel guilty?" ... In a way, the conclusion she came to wasn't wrong.

Kuroi looked Xeria in the eye while asking the question, having yet to touch the food. Unlike a certain witch, the summon's eyes did not stray or move erratically, focused and unperturbed by anything. As the silence dragged on for a few moments, Xeria's eyes still unable to meet hers, Kuroi wondered if she had maybe made a mistake... But it definitely seemed like they both needed to have a better understanding of the other, with everything that had happened, so she felt that her trying to ask if Xeria felt responsible was not mistaken.

"Well, I mean... kind of?" Xeria stammered a little as she took off her greatcoat and threw it around Kuroi's shoulders, making sure to cover up as much of her as possible before taking a step back and properly looking at Kuroi. The voluminous piece of clothing did a pretty good job at reestablishing some measure of decency for Kuroi, albeit nowhere near enough for her to just get up and openly walk around the Academy. It would have to do. "I can't help but feel like I'm responsible? Maybe I should've noticed earlier; maybe I should've never taken us to that Library."

Xeria was starting to subconsciously rub her arms despite not being outwardly cold in her nightdress. "It's supposed to be my responsibility to take care of you, isn't it? I mean, any good Witch would've noticed your condition way before I did, right?"

Xeria knew she was only technically telling the truth, covering herself up with something else when she didn't have the courage to tell what she actually was thinking.

"Well, I mean... kind of?" Xeria stammered a little as she took off her greatcoat and threw it around Kuroi's shoulders, making sure to cover up as much of her as possible before taking a step back and properly looking at Kuroi. The voluminous piece of clothing did a pretty good job at reestablishing some measure of decency for Kuroi, albeit nowhere near enough for her to just get up and openly walk around the Academy. It would have to do. "I can't help but feel like I'm responsible? Maybe I should've noticed earlier; maybe I should've never taken us to that Library."

Xeria was starting to subconsciously rub her arms despite not being outwardly cold in her nightdress. "It's supposed to be my responsibility to take care of you, isn't it? I mean, any good Witch would've noticed your condition way before I did, right?"

Xeria knew she was only technically telling the truth, covering herself up with something else when she didn't have the courage to tell what she actually was thinking.
Kuroi silently watched and listened to Xeria as the apprentice witch shared a bit of her thoughts, inscrutable as always. She lifted one of her hands after Xeria had said her piece and waved it, like to wave away some mist. "We learned some things for certain, so it was beneficial. You didn't know there would be a Dragon." There's no reason for you to regret going there, she left the sentence implied.

While they spoke, almost as if they had minds of their own, Kuroi's arms worked their way around the inside of the coat and through the sleeves, the girl quietly fiddling with the baggy cloth covering her just a little bit that Xeria might not notice. Her eyes remained focused on Xeria, not giving any hints to the distraction her hands had found. Though, they did flick away a few times as Kuroi considered the apprentice witch's questions, and her response to them. "... Maybe." Kuroi couldn't deny Xeria's claim for certain - being very insightful might be part and parcel of the job for a witch. She didn't know. "I've been told I'm not very easy for most people to understand though." She considered for a moment, but decided against giving examples given their nature, and Xeria's general reactions to things thus far. "And we've known each other for less than three days. Neither of us know that much about each other." She and Tsu had years together, and it simply wasn't fair to expect the same level of understanding from Xeria. She looked down to her legs as she reminded herself of that.

"When I get in a stressful situation, I'll often get sick or at least have a strong fever. I'm not very good at telling, so..."

Kuroi silently watched and listened to Xeria as the apprentice witch shared a bit of her thoughts, inscrutable as always. She lifted one of her hands after Xeria had said her piece and waved it, like to wave away some mist. "We learned some things for certain, so it was beneficial. You didn't know there would be a Dragon." There's no reason for you to regret going there, she left the sentence implied.

"I know, but..." Xeria didn't have the courage to argue further; she knew it herself that she couldn't bear responsibility for an event that nobody could've ever predicted or accounted for. It still didn't stop the internal shame from gnawing at her insides though, like as though Xeria should have had the omniscience to foresee such things.

While they spoke, almost as if they had minds of their own, Kuroi's arms worked their way around the inside of the coat and through the sleeves, the girl quietly fiddling with the baggy cloth covering her just a little bit that Xeria might not notice. Her eyes remained focused on Xeria, not giving any hints to the distraction her hands had found. Though, they did flick away a few times as Kuroi considered the apprentice witch's questions, and her response to them. "... Maybe." Kuroi couldn't deny Xeria's claim for certain - being very insightful might be part and parcel of the job for a witch. She didn't know. "I've been told I'm not very easy for most people to understand though." She considered for a moment, but decided against giving examples given their nature, and Xeria's general reactions to things thus far. "And we've known each other for less than three days. Neither of us know that much about each other." She and Tsu had years together, and it simply wasn't fair to expect the same level of understanding from Xeria. She looked down to her legs as she reminded herself of that.

"When I get in a stressful situation, I'll often get sick or at least have a strong fever. I'm not very good at telling, so..."

"... You... you want me to pick up on them?" Xeria tentatively asked, only partially sure on where Kuroi was heading with their talk. "I'm uh... I'm not the best at reading between the lines... But if I can help you feel that little bit more comfortable and at ease here, then I'll do my best!" Xeria left out the parts where she only learned about her inability to recognize cues until she was literally whacked over the head by a "friend" for being dense. It wasn't her fault that she couldn't pick up on different tones and postures, but she still had a responsibility to Kuroi as the girl who summoned her. If she could do something to make the Japanese girl that little bit more at home, then she'd do it. That was what her responsibilities involved, no?

"... You... you want me to pick up on them?" Xeria tentatively asked, only partially sure on where Kuroi was heading with their talk. "I'm uh... I'm not the best at reading between the lines... But if I can help you feel that little bit more comfortable and at ease here, then I'll do my best!" Xeria left out the parts where she only learned about her inability to recognize cues until she was literally whacked over the head by a "friend" for being dense. It wasn't her fault that she couldn't pick up on different tones and postures, but she still had a responsibility to Kuroi as the girl who summoned her. If she could do something to make the Japanese girl that little bit more at home, then she'd do it. That was what her responsibilities involved, no?
"Ah..." Kuroi realized that her trailing off there may have led to a misunderstanding a little late, and lightly shook her head in response. "No. It would be good for you to learn to if we'll be together for a long time, but you shouldn't feel you have to. I was just saying that I'm not the best at knowing myself." Kuroi didn't need to be told to realize that Xeria wasn't the best at reading into things, but that the fledgling witch was self aware was interesting news. Given that she had literally just made a reminder to herself that she could not expect the same from Xeria that she had her previous companion, she couldn't say yes to Xeria's commitment. She believed that it was something Xeria could work on, but likely a very long-term goal that might be demoralizing to focus on.

Suppressing another shiver, Kuroi slipped out of the bed, the coat that was so oversized on Xeria stopping only just short of her knees as she looked around the room. "I think drying off might be a good idea right now."

Last edited:
"Ah..." Kuroi realized that her trailing off there may have led to a misunderstanding a little late, and lightly shook her head in response. "No. It would be good for you to learn to if we'll be together for a long time, but you shouldn't feel you have to. I was just saying that I'm not the best at knowing myself."

"But, I should anyways! If me learning helps you learn more about yourself, then we all win at the end of the day, right?" Xeria said, finding the bits of confidence to gradually restore her more upbeat and ditzy attitude as she set herself. She was going to make it a point to help Kuroi by learning more about her, and that was already on top of Xeria's convictions of finding a way to send her back to her homeland.

Can't fault an idiot for having lofty goals.

Suppressing another shiver, Kuroi slipped out of the bed, the coat that was so oversized on Xeria stopping only just short of her knees as she looked around the room. "I think drying off might be a good idea right now."

"Ah, uh...!" Xeria was now thanking every Saint she knew that she didn't go through with completely disrobing Kuroi earlier. Her underwear and Xeria's normally enormous coat gave the ravenette a more modest appearance, though not modest enough to stop Xeria from suddenly spinning on her heels to look away. "I have a towel or two in here with us! I'll go get them."

Stiffly, Xeria started to rummage through her nightstand and drawers. She did make sure to avoid mussing the neat organization the two (mostly Kuroi) had made of Xeria's drawers, and after two minutes of some awkward silence...

"Ah-ha! I knew I didn't misplace them!"

...Xeria pulled out two large squares of linen. Credit to the Witch: she kept her room and belongings quite clean despite her own lack of presentability (and the thin layer of dust that once occupied the place). Once she whirled back she skittered up and held out the towel, eyes still doing it's best to not ogle her summon's more naked parts. It wasn't her fault that Kuroi was naturally eye-catching, right? She wasn't being weird about it!

"They're linen towels... I uh... I keep for the occasional rainstorm in the region."

"Ah, uh...!" Xeria was now thanking every Saint she knew that she didn't go through with completely disrobing Kuroi earlier. Her underwear and Xeria's normally enormous coat gave the ravenette a more modest appearance, though not modest enough to stop Xeria from suddenly spinning on her heels to look away. "I have a towel or two in here with us! I'll go get them."
Kuroi's head tilted to the side again as she watched Xeria's abrupt movements and continued strange sight lines, but said nothing as she allowed the apprentice witch room to get the towels. There was not enough space for both of them to be there, otherwise Kuroi would have moved in and grabbed what she was reasonably sure Xeria was talking about herself.

...Xeria pulled out two large squares of linen. Credit to the Witch: she kept her room and belongings quite clean despite her own lack of presentability (and the thin layer of dust that once occupied the place). Once she whirled back she skittered up and held out the towel, eyes still doing it's best to not ogle her summon's more naked parts. It wasn't her fault that Kuroi was naturally eye-catching, right? She wasn't being weird about it!

"They're linen towels... I uh... I keep for the occasional rainstorm in the region."
Kuroi had already shrugged off the coat by the time Xeria had turned around, holding her hand out for the towels - making Xeria's attempts at not having a stray gaze even more difficult, with the blank-faced woman standing there like nothing was wrong in her smallclothes. Her hands slowed just a little when the towel she took passed over her scars, eyes lingering on each before she moved on. While Xeria hadn't directly washed Kuroi's more sensitive areas, the... Lacking technique she displayed meant that Kuroi's underwear had gotten damp at best just like the bed, and that meant that the skin underneath also needed drying. Without any hesitation (or warning, for that matter) Kuroi stripped herself fully to dry herself before rashes could develop.

"Sponge bathing is a good idea when taking care of someone, but next time you should do it fully. Leaving parts undone like this would cause issues over time." In her usual flat tone, she taught the apprentice witch - who had already made the decision to turn around before seeing anything that would cast further doubt on her 'normalness' - while drying herself off fully and then pulling out her old kimono and spare underwear to sleep in for the night. The wet underclothes remained off, and as Kuroi looked at them she thought of Xeria's bed. "That's fine for me, but what about your bed? You can't sleep in that." She examined the apprentice witch, watching to see how Xeria reacted. Surely, drying such a mattress was an issue that came up on occasion, but Kuroi couldn't think of how it would be done as compared to the futons she was familiar with that would simply be hung with other laundry items to dry. Not to mention, Xeria needed to sleep in it about now, with it being night time, but it would probably take half a day to dry properly.

Kuroi had already shrugged off the coat by the time Xeria had turned around, holding her hand out for the towels - making Xeria's attempts at not having a stray gaze even more difficult, with the blank-faced woman standing there like nothing was wrong in her smallclothes. Her hands slowed just a little when the towel she took passed over her scars, eyes lingering on each before she moved on. While Xeria hadn't directly washed Kuroi's more sensitive areas, the... Lacking technique she displayed meant that Kuroi's underwear had gotten damp at best just like the bed, and that meant that the skin underneath also needed drying. Without any hesitation (or warning, for that matter) Kuroi stripped herself fully to dry herself before rashes could develop.

"Sponge bathing is a good idea when taking care of someone, but next time you should do it fully. Leaving parts undone like this would cause issues over time." In her usual flat tone, she taught the apprentice witch - who had already made the decision to turn around before seeing anything that would cast further doubt on her 'normalness' - while drying herself off fully and then pulling out her old kimono and spare underwear to sleep in for the night.

Xeria never spun around so quickly in her life, and she was glad she did so to hide the blooming redness in her face. No, someone stripping fully naked in front of someone else in their room was definitely not normal, but Xeria had neither the heart or sense to speak up about it. Not that she would have if she could anyways; her already muddy and confused head was threatening to shut down on her as she squeaked and peeped a half-conscious response to Kuroi.

She was normal. Xeria was a perfectly normal orphan girl. Normal.

Thankfully, Kuroi spared Xeria before she could implode from thinking herself to death, and after giving Kuroi another minute "just in case", Xeria turned around as her summon pointed out an issue...

The wet underclothes remained off, and as Kuroi looked at them she thought of Xeria's bed. "That's fine for me, but what about your bed? You can't sleep in that." She examined the apprentice witch, watching to see how Xeria reacted. Surely, drying such a mattress was an issue that came up on occasion, but Kuroi couldn't think of how it would be done as compared to the futons she was familiar with that would simply be hung with other laundry items to dry. Not to mention, Xeria needed to sleep in it about now, with it being night time, but it would probably take half a day to dry properly.

"I... slept in worse conditions." Xeria said with a scratch of her head. She was going to get outright murdered for turning a perfectly decent woolen mattress into a breeding ground for mold; she just knew the servant-staff were going to have a few words with her over her "usual insanity." The Witch was more worried that Kuroi was going to sleep somewhere like against the wall or on the chair, and because of Xeria's ever-present sense of guilt over allowing such things, she wouldn't allow that to happen again.

"I'll see if any of the maidservants are still up and willing to help me move this thing... Not the first time I ruined something..." Picking up the oversized coat the Kuroi dropped (internally sidenoting that the coat better fitted her Summon than her), Xeria quickly threw the article of clothing back on and slipped on her loafers and hat. "I'll try to grab something on the way back to substitute for tonight; maybe some sackcloths and feathers. You should eat in the meantime!"

Too late to protest once more; Xeria the Witch had already thrown the door open and scampered out.

Last edited:
"I... slept in worse conditions." Xeria said with a scratch of her head. She was going to get outright murdered for turning a perfectly decent woolen mattress into a breeding ground for mold; she just knew the servant-staff were going to have a few words with her over her "usual insanity." The Witch was more worried that Kuroi was going to sleep somewhere like against the wall or on the chair, and because of Xeria's ever-present sense of guilt over allowing such things, she wouldn't allow that to happen again.

"I'll see if any of the maidservants are still up and willing to help me move this thing... Not the first time I ruined something..." Picking up the oversized coat the Kuroi dropped (internally sidenoting that the coat better fitted her Summon than her), Xeria quickly threw the article of clothing back on and slipped on her loafers and hat. "I'll try to grab something on the way back to substitute for tonight; maybe some sackcloths and feathers. You should eat in the meantime!"

Too late to protest once more; Xeria the Witch had already thrown the door open and scampered out.
Kuroi stared at Xeria after the 'slept in worse conditions' comment with a side-eye, not looking full on at the apprentice witch as she sighed. Not much more of a response was afforded, though, as Xeria opened her mouth again and quickly disappeared from the room before Kuroi could scold her. She did leave an interesting tidbit of information, which was that apparently this dormitory had servants of some sort. Kuroi had met a nice person at a desk that she had spoken to to get the bucket of soapy water and towel she had been using to clean this morning, she did not remember seeing anyone else. It did seem strange that the halls remained clean in such a large building without staff to care for it, but part of her had wondered if magic was the explanation.

Given that the other person had left, Kuroi went to the plate of food that Xeria had gotten for her, eating a relatively small amount of the heaping plate before continuing on to the spot next to the door where she had slept last night. Without the fledgling witch around to look after, there wasn't much to do, so she simply closed her eyes and leaned against the wall, performing the nightly vigil she was so used to. When Xeria came back she'd wake up and address whatever incident she'd manage to cook up this time, but for now the peaceful sleep was nice.

Kuroi stared at Xeria after the 'slept in worse conditions' comment with a side-eye, not looking full on at the apprentice witch as she sighed. Not much more of a response was afforded, though, as Xeria opened her mouth again and quickly disappeared from the room before Kuroi could scold her. She did leave an interesting tidbit of information, which was that apparently this dormitory had servants of some sort. Kuroi had met a nice person at a desk that she had spoken to to get the bucket of soapy water and towel she had been using to clean this morning, she did not remember seeing anyone else. It did seem strange that the halls remained clean in such a large building without staff to care for it, but part of her had wondered if magic was the explanation.

Given that the other person had left, Kuroi went to the plate of food that Xeria had gotten for her, eating a relatively small amount of the heaping plate before continuing on to the spot next to the door where she had slept last night. Without the fledgling witch around to look after, there wasn't much to do, so she simply closed her eyes and leaned against the wall, performing the nightly vigil she was so used to. When Xeria came back she'd wake up and address whatever incident she'd manage to cook up this time, but for now the peaceful sleep was nice.

It turned out that when Xeria said she'd get some help, she meant she was getting help in the form of a small group of maidservants, one of whom was unceremoniously carrying Xeria by the collar of her coat when they all came into the room with a polite knock. They all looked unassuming in appearance and mannerisms, dressed in the classical simple black dress and apron that embodied a woman of their tradition and station. Every last maidservant had their hair in tied back and in a mobcap, furthering the uniformity and surprisingly humble appearance. It starkly contrasted the otherwise extravagant and prestigious aura the Academy had.

Xeria was not doing herself any favors in dispelling the sense that she resembled a small animal with the way she was held by the scruff of her coat, only managing a small and sheepish wave at Kuroi as the maidservant holding her like a puppy/kitten eyed the cause of their arrival. She was evidently the most senior of the maidstaff, and terribly familiar with Xeria if the look on both their faces meant anything.

1688742487720.png

"Madam Circe, we're only in the third day of the month and you're already giving us another headache." The sheer exhaustion and resignation in the maid's voice said a lot about Kuroi's Summoner, chiefly that she was a bit of an troublemaker for everyone. "Nevermind the excuses. Ladies! Fetch the young mistress new bedding for the night!"

"Yes Madam!"

Like a well-oiled machine, the maids moved with a grace and coordination that could put the most coordinated groups to shame. Each maid moved with singular purpose united in common goal, as if each already knew what the rest were going to do.

Xeria was not doing herself any favors in dispelling the sense that she resembled a small animal with the way she was held by the scruff of her coat, only managing a small and sheepish wave at Kuroi as the maidservant holding her like a puppy/kitten eyed the cause of their arrival. She was evidently the most senior of the maidstaff, and terribly familiar with Xeria if the look on both their faces meant anything.

"Madam Circe, we're only in the third day of the month and you're already giving us another headache." The sheer exhaustion and resignation in the maid's voice said a lot about Kuroi's Summoner, chiefly that she was a bit of an troublemaker for everyone. "Nevermind the excuses. Ladies! Fetch the young mistress new bedding for the night!"

"Yes Madam!"

Like a well-oiled machine, the maids moved with a grace and coordination that could put the most coordinated groups to shame. Each maid moved with singular purpose united in common goal, as if each already knew what the rest were going to do.
Kuroi was awake the moment the doorknob had been touched, her eyes stealthily cracked open and watching the doorway as maids came into the room in funny, frilly, slightly more than practical looking uniforms. Mainly wondering what the point of the caps they wore was, Kuroi came off her position against the wall and went up to the lady in charge who had Xeria held like a cub. Kuroi looked between her summoner's nervous grin and the staff lady's exasperated look before silently holding out her arms, and in a moment of mutual understanding(?) as blank black eyes met tired grey ones the trouble was passed back to the one responsible for it.

The trouble seemed a little confused as Kuroi held her up same as the maid, so Kuroi brought her over to the corner she had been sleeping in and let her down, the two standing out of the way as the professionals got to work. Kuroi leaned back, eyes fluttering a bit and occasionally closing, but she kept a trained eye on every movement in the room - including Xeria, who she pulled back into the corner a few times when the fledgling witch got twitchy. Thankfully, the process didn't seem to take too long. The soaked mattress was out of the room in less than a minute, and in just three more a new one with accompanying sheets was laid out in the room. Kuroi silently bowed her head to the maids as they left, and as they closed the door Kuroi finally felt comfortable fully closing her eyes, hand sinking away from her sash. Within moments, the summon was breathing silent, steady breaths, asleep against the wall in the same vigil as last night and decidedly not in the newly replaced and made bed.

The trouble seemed a little confused as Kuroi held her up same as the maid, so Kuroi brought her over to the corner she had been sleeping in and let her down, the two standing out of the way as the professionals got to work. Kuroi leaned back, eyes fluttering a bit and occasionally closing, but she kept a trained eye on every movement in the room - including Xeria, who she pulled back into the corner a few times when the fledgling witch got twitchy. Thankfully, the process didn't seem to take too long. The soaked mattress was out of the room in less than a minute, and in just three more a new one with accompanying sheets was laid out in the room. Kuroi silently bowed her head to the maids as they left, and as they closed the door Kuroi finally felt comfortable fully closing her eyes, hand sinking away from her sash. Within moments, the summon was breathing silent, steady breaths, asleep against the wall in the same vigil as last night and decidedly not in the newly replaced and made bed.

Xeria was left standing like an idiot (as usual) when she was finally left alone with Kuroi and a now-functional bed; her eyes repeatedly glanced between the inviting sight of a proper platform to sleep on and the person she owed way too much to for her persistent troublemaking. Strange that Kuroi had chosen to fall asleep leaning against the exact same spot, but if this was supposed to be some sort of strange roundabout way of torturing Xeria... it was working. She most certainly did not like that arrangement at all if she could help it!

This being Xeria: she couldn't just go up and ask Kuroi if she wanted to sleep on the bed like a normal person. In her mind, she (probably correctly) thought that any attempt to get Kuroi to sleep in her bed while she slept on the floor would be rebuffed and refused, citing some silly thing like "Xeria was the master" or some similar nonsense. She was the one who had caused so much figurative headaches for everyone, and the guilt was preventing her from even thinking about sleeping on that bed. So naturally: she decided that instead of being a normal person, she'd cheat a little.

Wringing her arms, Xeria huffed and threw off her coat and hat to hang on one of her bedposts, flopping over onto her bed and making sure she was comfortable under the covers before...

"Yuna Tairais kagh Oium..."
She had to make the chant as quiet as possible as she kept her eyes focused on Kuroi's sleeping form. Ideally, Kuroi wouldn't notice what she was about to pull until she got a comfy night-long sleep...

"...S'riku!"

And with the rules of the universe bent for a split second: Xeria suddenly found herself propped up against the wall in her room, in the exact same spot and pose Kuroi had been in just a moment ago. One tentative look over to her bed... Kuroi was fast asleep in her bed!

With her smile now fully realised, Xeria quietly slid down the wall until she was effectively sitting in the corner of her room. It was only fair to her that Kuroi got some measure of luxury for every headache Xeria gave her that day. It was only more fair to her that she sleep on the floor as a self-punishment for causing trouble for everyone...

"Sorry for being trouble again..."

"Yuna Tairais kagh Oium..."
She had to make the chant as quiet as possible as she kept her eyes focused on Kuroi's sleeping form. Ideally, Kuroi wouldn't notice what she was about to pull until she got a comfy night-long sleep...

"...S'riku!"

And with the rules of the universe bent for a split second: Xeria suddenly found herself propped up against the wall in her room, in the exact same spot and pose Kuroi had been in just a moment ago. One tentative look over to her bed... Kuroi was fast asleep in her bed!

With her smile now fully realised, Xeria quietly slid down the wall until she was effectively sitting in the corner of her room. It was only fair to her that Kuroi got some measure of luxury for every headache Xeria gave her that day. It was only more fair to her that she sleep on the floor as a self-punishment for causing trouble for everyone...

"Sorry for being trouble again..."
'Fast asleep' was one way to describe the summon's surprise as she felt the cold, hard comfort of wooden boards be replaced by the soft linens of the bed that had just been imported to the room. The whispered words and feeling of a gaze on her skin had drawn her curiosity but not fully stirred her awake as she recognized Xeria's voice and did not intend to intrude on the girl's privacy. The sudden change of sensations on her skin, the shift of gravity's effect on her body, and the not so whispered apology of the fledgling witch however all had Kuroi out of bed and looking around in a blur. It took a second for Kuroi's groggy mind to grasp the process by which the magic - genuine, in this case - had taken place, as well as the fact that the sudden shift did not mean she had to be combat ready.

She promptly relaxed her stance with that last realization, and stared at Xeria timidly sitting in the corner as she had realized that her trick had not worked. Blank-faced as usual, Kuroi went down on one knee before pulling the other under her and sitting in seiza, hands folded in her lap and blank stare pointed straight at Xeria. Perhaps an effect of the dim night lighting of the room, but the shadows made it almost seem like the corners of Kuroi's lips were downturned.

The silence was protracted, Xeria paralyzed and shaking like a rabbit as she was caught mid-mischief and Kuroi keeping her gaze trained on her as all manner of thoughts ran through her head. After much consideration, Kuroi finally opened her mouth, the same flat voice as ever delivered with a lower volume. "I'm a light sleeper. Please try to be very sensitive in how you wake me up." Rather than scolding or addressing exactly what had happened, she made a very simple and polite request, still watching Xeria carefully. It wasn't her intent to push the fledgling witch into a corner, but aside the girl quite unfortunately placing herself there Kuroi also understood that she had a proclivity for inspiring that response from people.

After judging that Xeria had likely realized she wouldn't be yelled at or anything of the sort, Kuroi continued with the same soft volume, "I've asked you before not to raise your voice, and I think I'll be adding teleportation to the list." She was careful about mentioning the waking incident of yesterday, but as she realized the witch may have forgotten, it didn't hurt both to bring it up as an example and to gently remind her that raising her voice might be a bad idea around a sleeping Kuroi.

'Fast asleep' was one way to describe the summon's surprise as she felt the cold, hard comfort of wooden boards be replaced by the soft linens of the bed that had just been imported to the room. The whispered words and feeling of a gaze on her skin had drawn her curiosity but not fully stirred her awake as she recognized Xeria's voice and did not intend to intrude on the girl's privacy. The sudden change of sensations on her skin, the shift of gravity's effect on her body, and the not so whispered apology of the fledgling witch however all had Kuroi out of bed and looking around in a blur. It took a second for Kuroi's groggy mind to grasp the process by which the magic - genuine, in this case - had taken place, as well as the fact that the sudden shift did not mean she had to be combat ready.

She promptly relaxed her stance with that last realization, and stared at Xeria timidly sitting in the corner as she had realized that her trick had not worked. Blank-faced as usual, Kuroi went down on one knee before pulling the other under her and sitting in seiza, hands folded in her lap and blank stare pointed straight at Xeria. Perhaps an effect of the dim night lighting of the room, but the shadows made it almost seem like the corners of Kuroi's lips were downturned.

The silence was protracted, Xeria paralyzed and shaking like a rabbit as she was caught mid-mischief and Kuroi keeping her gaze trained on her as all manner of thoughts ran through her head. After much consideration, Kuroi finally opened her mouth, the same flat voice as ever delivered with a lower volume. "I'm a light sleeper. Please try to be very sensitive in how you wake me up." Rather than scolding or addressing exactly what had happened, she made a very simple and polite request, still watching Xeria carefully. It wasn't her intent to push the fledgling witch into a corner, but aside the girl quite unfortunately placing herself there Kuroi also understood that she had a proclivity for inspiring that response from people.

After judging that Xeria had likely realized she wouldn't be yelled at or anything of the sort, Kuroi continued with the same soft volume, "I've asked you before not to raise your voice, and I think I'll be adding teleportation to the list." She was careful about mentioning the waking incident of yesterday, but as she realized the witch may have forgotten, it didn't hurt both to bring it up as an example and to gently remind her that raising her voice might be a bad idea around a sleeping Kuroi.

"Um... Sorry?" Xeria felt really, really small with Kuroi looming over her, and for once it wasn't just because of their height difference. Kuroi kneeling in her perfect seiza did little to dispel the air of dread that was rapidly gathering around Xeria, who looked just about ready to melt into the corner she was figuratively and literally in. She was already cowering with her arms reflexively covering her head, and that was already on top of everything that happened throughout the day. Kuroi might not have meant to come across as menacing or intimidating, but it certainly was what Xeria saw and heard.

Every sentence Kuroi spoke with absolute tone was met with increasing sheepishness and remorse out of the Witch. "Polite" became "Judging"; "soft" became "low"...

"Sorry..."

And every drop of worry...

"Sorry..."

every shred of guilt...

"Sorry..."

every bit of shame...

"Sorry..."

She let it all consume her in the worst ways possible. By the time both parties realized what was going on, it was already far too late to do anything about it.

"I'll um... I'll leave you alone for the night."

And Xeria meant it, not bothering to hear a response from Kuroi as she scooched her way to the door. Her eyes were firmly planted on the floor the whole time she slowly inched her way to the door, arms still over her head as if Kuroi was ready to throw something at her. Her only respite was when she felt the texture of a doorknob against her back, and before both knew it, Xeria had opened the door and left.

__kirisame_marisa_izayoi_sakuya_patchouli_knowledge_and_koakuma_touhou_drawn_by_sakura_sora__sample-4c32789d1f20fef328a337d6419b5474.jpg

The King's Academy - The Dragon's Archive
Fourth day of Serpent, 493 NE

It only took Xeria the rest of the night to find herself perfectly secluded deep inside the Archives, huddled up with her back against a dusty bookshelf with a ring of stacked books hiding her from wandering eyes. Her messy white hair was now a windswept, disgusting mess that no hairbrush could tame, and that was already on top of the deathly paleness she unknowingly took on. She didn't even know where she was in the Library specifically, nor could she be bothered to really care.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt was the perceived weight her own failures.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt was the looks of annoyance and disdain on those faces.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt were tears on her cheeks.

"I'm..."

All she felt was blissful blackness.

cinematic medieval middle east alleyway, arabic, persian, dawn, market, little spice shops, bazaar, steam punk, unreal engine 5, trending on art station

Ambition City - Old Merchant Quarter
Twelfth day of Phoenix, 486 NE

The spittle being flung onto her face only made the orphan girl whimper more as the angry peddler continued to berate her at the top of his lungs. He had already made his anger clear with the welts on her cheeks and head, and nobody had come to her rescue. The remnant crumbs on her rags only attracted mice and roaches to dance around her feet, adding to the further misery of her malnourishment.

"Ungrateful little shit! I paid good money for that loaf and you just come in and take it!?"

"I'm-I'm sorry! I was- I was hungry- Ah!"

Little Xeria squeaked when the peddler grabbed her by her dirty grey hair to yell louder into her ear. She was already trapped at the end of an alley; she had nowhere else to run and hide. All she could do was cower as the man continued to take out his anger on a nobody. She only wanted a bite, and the man didn't seem to care about the loaf of bred that was mostly eaten and sat at the edge of the table; she thought it was harmless...

Evidently not.

"I'm sorry! I won't do it again!"

"I'm sorry!"

"I'm sorry..."

"I'm sorry..."

Last edited:
The King's Academy - The Dragon's Archive

It only took Xeria the rest of the night to find herself perfectly secluded deep inside the Archives, huddled up with her back against a dusty bookshelf with a ring of stacked books hiding her from wandering eyes. Her messy white hair was now a windswept, disgusting mess that no hairbrush could tame, and that was already on top of the deathly paleness she unknowingly took on. She didn't even know where she was in the Library specifically, nor could she be bothered to really care.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt was the perceived weight her own failures.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt was the looks of annoyance and disdain on those faces.

"I'm sorry..."

All she felt were tears on her cheeks.

"I'm..."

All she felt was blissful blackness.
In the wee hours of the night and running into morning, Xeria had all the peace and quiet she could desire. She didn't have any pursuers to worry about or onlookers to hide from, so she found herself a nice, comfy fortress naturally made of the bookshelves to sequester herself away from the world and rested there. Even got a bit of a restless nap in. Maybe she even started to appreciate Kuroi's seeming fondness for sleeping against cold, hard surfaces; there was nothing quite as torturous as sleeping in constant vigil, awaiting something horrible to pop out the darkness, and waking up with uncountable aches in the body.

Well, at this point of the morning, it was a little too bright for something horrible to pop out of the darkness, per se.

"Excuse me."

FKIBG-tWUAkPwLa.jpg

Ah, an angel from the light... Light that burns, when one has a terrible headache. While Xeria was busy covering her eyes from the scalding illumination of the natural morning light in the library, a girl looked at her with a concerned gaze. "Um, your friend wanted me to check on you. She said she was worried seeing her might upset you, but she didn't want you to miss class..." The girl, powering through the walking disaster aura of Xeria, knelt down next to her, biting her bottom lip as she waited for some sign of life from the white ball of hair.

"You're a first year, right? Then, you need to get going really soon... She gave me this to hand to you, in case you were hungry. Also, um, I don't really get it, but she said if you needed her in class then she'll be there." The stranger held out a sandwich to Xeria, wrapped in a thin cloth, and stood up as she felt like she had done her duty as a messenger. "I'll be here researching alchemy if you need me. I don't know what's going on, but I'm sure it'll all be alright?" She waved and turned to leave, side-eyeing Xeria awkwardly as she did so with concern still coloring her gaze.

"Excuse me."

FKIBG-tWUAkPwLa.jpg

Ah, an angel from the light... Light that burns, when one has a terrible headache.

Xeria had spent the remaining hours silently huddled like a lifeless corpse in the depths of the library, and she'd have likely stayed there for much longer had someone not intervened in an... unintentionally painful way. The morning light the stranger brought with her was an anathema to the brooding blanchette, bedazzling her eyes with a lightshow of white as she struggled to readapt from her self-imposed hermitage.

While Xeria was busy covering her eyes from the scalding illumination of the natural morning light in the library, a girl looked at her with a concerned gaze. "Um, your friend wanted me to check on you. She said she was worried seeing her might upset you, but she didn't want you to miss class..." The girl, powering through the walking disaster aura of Xeria, knelt down next to her, biting her bottom lip as she waited for some sign of life from the white ball of hair.

"You're a first year, right? Then, you need to get going really soon... She gave me this to hand to you, in case you were hungry. Also, um, I don't really get it, but she said if you needed her in class then she'll be there." The stranger held out a sandwich to Xeria, wrapped in a thin cloth, and stood up as she felt like she had done her duty as a messenger. "I'll be here researching alchemy if you need me. I don't know what's going on, but I'm sure it'll all be alright?" She waved and turned to leave, side-eyeing Xeria awkwardly as she did so with concern still coloring her gaze.

It was only after Xeria believed the stranger gone from sight that animation returned to her otherwise lifeless stillness. She didn't need a look in the mirror to know that she looked like a decayed corpse; the long night had taken its toll on the Witch's appearance. Her once vibrant, voluminous white hair had become a stringy mess that lost its shine; the usual wintery pallor had grown worse into something ghostly and sinister. The faint beginning of rings surrounding her reddened eyes ruined their otherwise colorful liveliness, and her lips, usually curled in mischief or merriment, had thinned into a barely-noticeable line on her face amongst the tear streaks all over her cheeks. If someone said that that was the same Xeria, they'd be forgiven if they were called a liar or worse...

Looking down, she saw the sandwich sitting by her feet, still unopened. That inkling of her consciousness that was still capable of coherent thought had its suspicions over who it came from, but the rest of her had mentally shut down. She couldn't bear to look at it, not after what she did to Kuroi...

... But the mystery woman that found Xeria was right: she had classes, and she couldn't afford to miss them on her first real day...

Xeria's first real movements were slow and unrefined. With the same grace as a tortoise, she shambled to her feet and rose up from the sanctuary of leather bindings and parchment pages. Clad in naught but her nightdress, undergarments, and a pair of tights, Xeria began her shuffle. Where she was going, she internally had no idea; her subconscious steering her motor functions seemed to know where she needed to go, and so Xeria was content on letting her body continue to run on autopilot as she mentally continued to stew in her own self-produced misery.

9Ipajk8.jpeg

The King's Academy - Lionscourt Hall: Outside

The Academy was already bustling with Wizards and Witches alike when Xeria noiselessly emerged and got shuffled through. The idle chatter and gossip among the pointed hats and greatcoats hadn't dropped as Xeria hid herself by staying away from the commonly-trodden paths and footroutes, but it didn't take long for someone to notice the white-haired disaster standing alone all by her pathetic lonesome...

The chatter had startlingly dimmed and quieted as gradually, more and more like-aged folk turned the topic of their attention and gossip to the thin, hollow-looking girl wearing only a nightdress and smallclothes. Some pointed at her in disdain over her unbecoming appearance, others leered at an otherwise easy peek on a new girl, others still muttered questions of who the "weirdo" even was and what she was doing milling about in such an undignified manner.

Xeria ignored them all... Well, it would be more accurate to say that Xeria never registered the contents of their disdain, only the tone of their bites really went through to her. And the thoroughly broken-down Xeria could only croak under her breath her apologies, only audible to herself and herself alone.

"... I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

Attachments

• Commission_ Castle Classroom by ExitMothership on DeviantArt.png
    Commission_ Castle Classroom by ExitMothership on DeviantArt.png
    687.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Kuroi did not fancy herself to be a shinobi. Undeniably, her talents for the skillset existed, but it was something that she did not feel like she had extensive experience in. Her manner of silent walking did not lend itself well to flitting between hiding places, and while she might have been able to climb above and shadow from the tall roofs of the city, she ultimately did not feel like being too suspicious of an individual and there was no visual clutter up there to hide her from keen eyes. So she shadowed Xeria's wandering from a distance, perhaps worrying too much about being spotted by the girl that was unperceptive at the best of times. Following her into the library and confirming that she had sat to rest, Kuroi similarly set herself a perch against a wall not too far away so that she would be able to hear Xeria moving or respond to any trouble that might transpire.

The girl didn't seem to be having the best sleep, unfortunately. Kuroi startled awake numerous times from noises or movement, only to realize that it was just Xeria in whatever dream she might be seeing. That led to Kuroi in turn not being able to rest that well, unable to finish even a single uninterrupted sleep cycle by the sky started growing brighter, the first hints of the sun's light still beyond the horizon. An enemy she hadn't expected to see.

The plan had been simple: follow Xeria stealthily to not upset her and when she came back to the dorm room, slip in ahead of her so that she didn't know she had a shadow looking after her, talk things out with her while being sure to block any exits and catch any escapees, and make sure she was all cleaned up and ready for classes in the morning. Well, it probably wouldn't have gone that cleanly, but she never expected that Xeria would not try to return to the room at any point. Now, it was almost sunrise, and Xeria was still hiding in a corner of a library with her nightclothes on. Kuroi still didn't dare show herself without being told that it was okay, not wanting to upset Xeria, but at this rate they could forget about classes and worry about Xeria's decency. Kuroi had seen ladies of the night better clothed than she would argue the local night garments cover. Not to mention the absolute ragged mess wandering around most of the night had made of the fledgling witch. Clearly, she wasn't meant to miss her beauty sleep, as she looked even worse than usual.

Now a new plan was needed, and she had to make decisions about how she could best handle things. For starters she took advantage of her knowledge that Xeria was not a morning person to head back to the room on her own, retrieving a change of clothes for Xeria. It wouldn't hurt to have in case there was somewhere for the witch to get changed. On her way back, she grabbed breakfast from the dining hall - which was not exactly open this hour in the morning, but after her earnest requests the chef lent her some bread, meat, and cheese to make some sandwiches before he shooed her away. With everything collected, Kuroi went back to the library, confirmed that Xeria was still there and asleep, and looked around for a few minutes before finding a girl who she talked to for a few minutes. There was a rather awkward moment between the two as Kuroi was wearing her original kimono, of which Xeria's opinion was apparently not unique as Kuroi had to reassure the - oddly enthusiastic - girl that she wasn't being propositioned.

Kuroi, sparing with words as she was, only exchanged a few pleasantries and trivialities before judging the girl a good egg and showing her heart on her sleeve. "Your 'friend' ran away from you after a misunderstanding, and after she hasn't come home all night you're worried so you'd like someone to make sure she is okay..." In some odd mix of sympathy and... being moved? The newly met Samira nodded her head without further question, patting Kuroi on the shoulder as she stood up. "Don't worry! I'll go check on her, and then everything will be all right!"

Swept away by the powerful momentum of the new friend she had made, Kuroi blankly nodded and handed over the sandwich she had made for Xeria.

----

Samira came away shaking her head, and Kuroi sighed having overheard the lavender girl's surprisingly timid attempt to reach out to Xeria. Perhaps too timid, but definitely not what Kuroi had expected after the girl's enthusiasm for the task, and Kuroi appreciated her caring. "Thank you." Kuroi inclined her head, showing her appreciation for Samira's effort. This did leave her in a difficult situation, though, as she hadn't thought of the possibility of Xeria being so despondent as to shrug off everyone.

"She didn't seem very good... Was it that bad?"

Kuroi's hands pulled at her sleeves, her body shifting left and right before she finally managed an "I don't know."

The two shared a moment of silence before Samira shook her head and wiped the concern off her face. "Well... As I told her. I'll be where you found me, if you want me." Samira smiled and winked before walking off, leaving Kuroi to think of plan C. Unfortunately, plan C very quickly became plan D(amage control), as Xeria popped out of her hiding place and slowly meandered off in whatever direction she might be going. Checking and picking up the sandwich that had been left neglected, Kuroi rushed off to follow Xeria, concerned that the witch might manage to find herself in further trouble.

It took a surprising amount of time to catch up to Xeria, who had used many paths Kuroi had yet to learn and it was only a matter of luck that led her to spot the fledgling witch near the dorm building, in a less-used alley. Some passerby were speaking to each other of the odd sight, but none stopped to speak to Xeria or check on her, leaving her to stand there alone. Kuroi, having spent all night following Xeria, finally gave up and came in front of the witch.

"No matter the place, people still don't..." Kuroi shook her head and cut her mumbling short, taking Xeria by one hand and forcing the sandwich into the other. "Let's go get you cleaned up." And after so many hours of playing this childish game, Kuroi was clearly not taking no for an answer. She made generous use of her strength in the grip on Xeria's hand, not letting the witch try to slip away or stand still. Kuroi pulled them down a path even more out of the way and out of sight of people moving on with their normal day before approaching the dorm building, peeking inside to make sure nobody was on the staircase she had chosen, and pulling Xeria up the stairs and finally into their room with the least exposure to public view that could be managed. Once inside, Kuroi released Xeria and locked the door, laying the clothes she had taken with her in expectation of Xeria's recovered functionality on the desk before turning to the witch.

As was always the case in these tense moments, the summon's perpetual expressionlessness and dark eyes staring into Xeria did not do wonders for the nerves, but for once it was clearly intentional as Kuroi's shoulders were more square than usual and her comparative height with Xeria was reinforced by her staring down on the fledgling witch, seeming several measures taller than normal. Her slightly ragged breathing only added to the impression.

"You are an idiot."

The two shared a moment of silence before Samira shook her head and wiped the concern off her face. "Well... As I told her. I'll be where you found me, if you want me." Samira smiled and winked before walking off, leaving Kuroi to think of plan C. Unfortunately, plan C very quickly became plan D(amage control), as Xeria popped out of her hiding place and slowly meandered off in whatever direction she might be going. Checking and picking up the sandwich that had been left neglected, Kuroi rushed off to follow Xeria, concerned that the witch might manage to find herself in further trouble.

It took a surprising amount of time to catch up to Xeria, who had used many paths Kuroi had yet to learn and it was only a matter of luck that led her to spot the fledgling witch near the dorm building, in a less-used alley. Some passerby were speaking to each other of the odd sight, but none stopped to speak to Xeria or check on her, leaving her to stand there alone. Kuroi, having spent all night following Xeria, finally gave up and came in front of the witch.

"No matter the place, people still don't..." Kuroi shook her head and cut her mumbling short, taking Xeria by one hand and forcing the sandwich into the other. "Let's go get you cleaned up." And after so many hours of playing this childish game, Kuroi was clearly not taking no for an answer. She made generous use of her strength in the grip on Xeria's hand, not letting the witch try to slip away or stand still.

Xeria had not been expecting anyone to get near her and her air of gloom, much less hear the last person she wanted to see or interact with at that time. The functioning bits of her brain quickly sounded the alarm when her hair-shrouded gaze detected someone in front of her, and she suddenly felt her wrist being taken, her higher functions gave way to animalistic panic. Her ringed eyes narrowed into tiny pinpricks as she let out inaudible whimper after inaudible whimper, and she began pulling her taken hand desperately to no avail. Her already weak strength had diminished to a near-nothingness in breaking Kuroi's iron grip, which left the Witch helpless as her feet slid and slipped against her wishes.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I won't cause trouble again! I'll be a good girl; I promise!"

Nothing Xeria said made sense or could even be heard beyond her own throat, although the commotion she raised only intensified the scrutiny and gaze directed her way by errant passer-bys. Kuroi had an unshakable hold on her, and her movements were not impeded despite Xeria's best efforts in trying to go any direction but the one her Summon was going. She didn't even know where she was being taken...

db2dvj6-3d0c2c12-3e0b-4329-8e72-4feda1a8008a.jpg

The King's Academy - Xeria's Room

Kuroi pulled them down a path even more out of the way and out of sight of people moving on with their normal day before approaching the dorm building, peeking inside to make sure nobody was on the staircase she had chosen, and pulling Xeria up the stairs and finally into their room with the least exposure to public view that could be managed. Once inside, Kuroi released Xeria and locked the door, laying the clothes she had taken with her in expectation of Xeria's recovered functionality on the desk before turning to the witch.

The protracted tug of war with her arm had reduced Xeria's appearance to newer lows by the time Kuroi had dragged the Witch back inside her own room. The soles of her feet were caked in dirt and scrapes after easily tearing through the undersides of her tights, and the red handprint on her wrist where Kuroi had held onto was a glaring contrast against her ghostly hue. Xeria hadn't the strength, heart, or audacity to get back on her feet after such a one-sided loss, left grovelling on her hands and knees in front of the one woman she didn't want to see. Her stringy locks of once-white shielded her downcast face from needing to be seen, not that she would've looked up at any point. She already perceived the aura emanating from Kuroi...

As was always the case in these tense moments, the summon's perpetual expressionlessness and dark eyes staring into Xeria did not do wonders for the nerves, but for once it was clearly intentional as Kuroi's shoulders were more square than usual and her comparative height with Xeria was reinforced by her staring down on the fledgling witch, seeming several measures taller than normal. Her slightly ragged breathing only added to the impression.

"You are an idiot."

Those very words. When they came out of Siltoth's mouth, the exasperation always had undertones of affection; when they came out of Valenia, the endearing and teasing tones were filled with unconditional love. When Kuroi uttered those same words, she felt no emotion out of them.

No anger.

No disappointment.

No playfulness.

No love.

Just cold, consuming emptiness.

"... I'm sorry..."

It started small out of Xeria, just two words that felt so loud in the solitude of the cramped room. She was already trying to crawl away, her movements as slow as she was uncertain... as if at any moment something would happen to her.

"... I'm sorry for being an idiot..."

"... I should go... before I upset you again... I'll miss class..."

Last edited:
"... I'm sorry..."

It started small out of Xeria, just two words that felt so loud in the solitude of the cramped room. She was already trying to crawl away, her movements as slow as she was uncertain... as if at any moment something would happen to her.

"... I'm sorry for being an idiot..."

"... I should go... before I upset you again... I'll miss class..."
"I see." While Kuroi stood near the door, she did not block it, and made no immediate moves to stop Xeria's slow creep towards escape. "You're sorry about being an idiot, so you'll keep being an idiot. What a sincere, heartfelt, well thought-through apology. Your understanding of your flaws is profound, to so well enable them to cause further damage to yourself. I'm truly impressed." Kuroi spoke those words in a ridiculously fast pace, hands behind her back as she stared down Xeria. "And I apologize for how much this is going to be a messy, unfortunate talk, because comforting people was Tsubasa's job. I'm not very good with my words, and I'm not good at playing tough love."

Just as Xeria got close to the door, Kuroi picked her up by her sides and sat her on the bed, handling her like a child. "But as you insist on not listening and rashly throwing a tantrum, I believe that is where we are at. Until I am satisfied you have understood why this night's events were incredibly idiotic in every regard, the possible consequences that thankfully did not occur even without my interference, and we've established what should be done next time you decide to have such an outrageous fit - we will not be leaving this room." With the same practiced, smooth motions of last night, Kuroi sat in seiza in front of Xeria, staring the fledgling witch in the eye. "Do you understand?"

"I see." While Kuroi stood near the door, she did not block it, and made no immediate moves to stop Xeria's slow creep towards escape. "You're sorry about being an idiot, so you'll keep being an idiot. What a sincere, heartfelt, well thought-through apology. Your understanding of your flaws is profound, to so well enable them to cause further damage to yourself. I'm truly impressed." Kuroi spoke those words in a ridiculously fast pace, hands behind her back as she stared down Xeria. "And I apologize for how much this is going to be a messy, unfortunate talk, because comforting people was Tsubasa's job. I'm not very good with my words, and I'm not good at playing tough love."

Just as Xeria got close to the door, Kuroi picked her up by her sides and sat her on the bed, handling her like a child. "But as you insist on not listening and rashly throwing a tantrum, I believe that is where we are at. Until I am satisfied you have understood why this night's events were incredibly idiotic in every regard, the possible consequences that thankfully did not occur even without my interference, and we've established what should be done next time you decide to have such an outrageous fit - we will not be leaving this room." With the same practiced, smooth motions of last night, Kuroi sat in seiza in front of Xeria, staring the fledgling witch in the eye. "Do you understand?"

It was appropriate to say that Xeria was not in the right state of mind to be getting lectured, not really focused on what Kuroi was actually saying. Her primitive instincts were blaring the alarm in her head louder than Kuroi's blunt dialogue, leaving only the steady blankness of her facial and tonal expressions to be misinterpreted by the Witch's thoroughly-addled mind. Kuroi's utter lack of careful tact only served to reinforce the canon that she was uncaring, something that was an impending disaster given the volatility of Xeria's psyche.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

It was all she could really say by that point. The trembling Witch had completely curled in on herself, her hands and legs covering her like a protective shell she could withdraw into at a moment's notice. The only ray of hope that Kuroi had to go off of was that Xeria hadn't completely broken eye contact; though she was looking away as best as she could, Xeria's eyes were still within plain sight, meaning she could at least read what she did when what she said failed...

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." It was all she could really say by that point. The trembling Witch had completely curled in on herself, her hands and legs covering her like a protective shell she could withdraw into at a moment's notice. The only ray of hope that Kuroi had to go off of was that Xeria hadn't completely broken eye contact; though she was looking away as best as she could, Xeria's eyes were still within plain sight, meaning she could at least read what she did when what she said failed...
Slow, steady breaths.

Kuroi closed her eyes and considered the current situation, what she could and has already done, and reviewed any wisp of a memory she had about dealing with distressed people... The outlook wasn't good. Mostly, the memories in question she could dredge up were people scared of her, and while possibly relevant at this moment she had long ago given up trying to reason with such people, so there was nothing useful to her. Even Tsubasa had in part given up on cleaning the many messes that could be left in Kuroi's wake, and she felt like neither of them really tried dealing with such cases for a while. It was too common, too troublesome, and plainly not worth it.

Kuroi could not recall a situation where she felt incentivized to deal with someone in this state, but here she was.

So Xeria was... Either plainly not hearing her, too caught up in her own world, or in some capacity ignoring what Kuroi was saying. Kuroi's interference seemed to be making things worse, but she had few if any hints as to why. She knew she wasn't the best for this, and that people often perceive her as a cold killer, but she had hoped that Xeria at least knew her better than that. She felt as though she had shown care for her summoner's wellbeing, and didn't expect that Xeria would have any reason to think the contrary with or without Kuroi's difficulty in communicating.

That being said, it wasn't like she could just walk away, hide, and make herself a non-issue. She tried leaving Xeria alone to the best of her ability, and that left the troublesome girl to make several thoughtless blunders, likely without knowledge that Kuroi was shadowing her in case something did happen. Which meant she wasn't consequence aware at the moment, and thus a danger to herself. That isn't even to mention questions on matters like if Xeria would even be capable of truly attending class or doing her other duties at the moment.

What debatably was progress was that Xeria was not currently making any moves to flee the situation, whether because she had realized the futility of it or some small part of her was open to trying to talk, so that was something.

Kuroi hummed in thought, sucking on a corner of her bottom lip as she considered things. Siltoth was the only person she knew with a connection to Xeria, but while they seemed familiar with each other there seemed to be a strain in their relationship. Not to mention the impracticality of crossing the city at the moment, on a variety of accounts. Ultimately, Kuroi looking for someone better suited to taking care of Xeria on her own was not something that seemed to be on the table. She wasn't sure Xeria would be capable of telling her someone she could contact, either.

So, this was her responsibility to deal with for the moment, if not just to calm Xeria down a little bit so that some cooperation could happen. How was the question she kept coming back to though.

"..." Kuroi opened her eyes again, considering Xeria for a moment. Her lips parted, but quickly resealed on realizing that as she had previously analyzed, Xeria likely wasn't hearing her now in one way or another. So, slowly, like she would with a startled animal, she stood up and moved to be beside Xeria, stopping for a few moments when Xeria showed any negative reaction. It was a tedious process, but Kuroi did eventually seat herself on the bed, and she placed her overly warm hand on Xeria's back in a tentative movement.

"..." Kuroi opened her eyes again, considering Xeria for a moment. Her lips parted, but quickly resealed on realizing that as she had previously analyzed, Xeria likely wasn't hearing her now in one way or another. So, slowly, like she would with a startled animal, she stood up and moved to be beside Xeria, stopping for a few moments when Xeria showed any negative reaction. It was a tedious process, but Kuroi did eventually seat herself on the bed, and she placed her overly warm hand on Xeria's back in a tentative movement.

With each time Kuroi moved, Xeria withdrew further into herself out of anxiety, very slowly easing back into a less guarded state only for Kuroi to start inching closer again and repeat the cycle. It was a back-and-forth game that Kuroi was essentially forced to play if she wanted to put out the fire between them; Xeria could easily panic and undo everything if she made the wrong move at the wrong time. She had to consider every aspect of her actions every time she moved; anything that could possibly be seen as an attack or intimidation and she risked destroying what little progress she had already achieved by locking the door. Mercifully, the blanchette didn't move from her spot on the bed, and Kuroi was finally seated beside her before either of them knew it. How much of that was Xeria being too scared to move, or her slowly warming up to her again was anybody's guess, and frankly, Kuroi probably wouldn't bother pondering on that.

Maintaining fine motor control had always been a particular talent of Kuroi's, so when her summoner didn't react to her hand's smooth and steady movement, she saw it as further progress. There was a sudden spike of worry that she blew everything when Xeria jolted at the sensation of a hand being placed on her back, but mercifully, Xeria didn't seem to perceive it as a threat and calmed down. The corpse-like temperature of her skin (It turned out that Xeria's nightgown was scandalously backless, leaving nothing to the imagination) felt so foreign when Kuroi's hand felt like a smouldering lump of coal by comparison. She didn't move; Kuroi was doing better than even she likely thought.

Even before she knew it, the ravenette was running her hand across Xeria's back in a gentle back-and-forth manner. It was rather easy given the smooth and creamy texture of her skin, and Xeria's tight huddle was beginning to relax. Her arms and legs weren't as tense as they initially were, and the faint trembling had stilled as the impromptu backrubs continued.

Finally, after several minutes of nothing but backrubs and silence, Xeria came out of her shell... sort of.

Xeria was evidently still frightened that something might happen, but the near-imperceptible rise of her head from under her arms didn't go by unnoticed. The option for dialogue being back on Kuroi's table was still surrounded by big fat question marks, and gods knew if Xeria would react if Kuroi opened her mouth.

Still... Progress.

Xeria's tight huddle was beginning to relax. Her arms and legs weren't as tense as they initially were, and the faint trembling had stilled as the impromptu backrubs continued.

Finally, after several minutes of nothing but backrubs and silence, Xeria came out of her shell... sort of.

Xeria was evidently still frightened that something might happen, but the near-imperceptible rise of her head from under her arms didn't go by unnoticed. The option for dialogue being back on Kuroi's table was still surrounded by big fat question marks, and gods knew if Xeria would react if Kuroi opened her mouth.

Still... Progress.
Seeing as it was the one thing that was actually working of everything she had tried, Kuroi continued rubbing her hand against Xeria's back, even as she considered the fledgling witch and her next steps. Unfortunately, she still wasn't rich for options. There might be things she hadn't thought of, like this approach she had finally seen some success with, but for now she could only think of the ultimate goal. So, baby steps, and testing the waters. She carefully considered her words before finally speaking up, still lost on how to approach the unreasonably scared Xeria. "I want to understand what caused this. So I can help. Could you explain to me what is wrong?"

Seeing as it was the one thing that was actually working of everything she had tried, Kuroi continued rubbing her hand against Xeria's back, even as she considered the fledgling witch and her next steps. Unfortunately, she still wasn't rich for options. There might be things she hadn't thought of, like this approach she had finally seen some success with, but for now she could only think of the ultimate goal. So, baby steps, and testing the waters. She carefully considered her words before finally speaking up, still lost on how to approach the unreasonably scared Xeria. "I want to understand what caused this. So I can help. Could you explain to me what is wrong?"

"... were mad..." Xeria was coarse and hardly audible the first time she truly spoke, her throat feeling scratchy from having spent all night awake and dehydrated around the Academy and Archives. But as she went on, she steadily found herself powering through to explain everything.

Strange that Kuroi had chosen to fall asleep leaning against the exact same spot, but if this was supposed to be some sort of strange roundabout way of torturing Xeria... it was working. She most certainly did not like that arrangement at all if she could help it!

This being Xeria: she couldn't just go up and ask Kuroi if she wanted to sleep on the bed like a normal person. In her mind, she (probably correctly) thought that any attempt to get Kuroi to sleep in her bed while she slept on the floor would be rebuffed and refused, citing some silly thing like "Xeria was the master" or some similar nonsense. She was the one who had caused so much figurative headaches for everyone, and the guilt was preventing her from even thinking about sleeping on that bed. So naturally: she decided that instead of being a normal person, she'd cheat a little.

"I only wanted to help... You looked so uncomfortable when you slept against the wall..." All The quietness of the room slowly made it easier to follow Xeria as she struggled the next few sentences out. "I wanted you to sleep comfortably... Sleep a little happier... But you would've said no to me if I asked..." It was hard to deny that Kuroi likely would've politely declined sleeping on Xeria's bed if it meant her sleeping on the floor or worse; the little links binding her stunt last night and her motivations were starting to become that little bit clearer to Kuroi... even if it didn't fully absolve the Witch.

Blank-faced as usual, Kuroi went down on one knee before pulling the other under her and sitting in seiza, hands folded in her lap and blank stare pointed straight at Xeria. The shadows painting the room in black emphasized the downturned corners of Kuroi's lips.

The silence was protracted, Xeria paralyzed and shaking like a rabbit as she was caught mid-mischief and Kuroi keeping her gaze trained on her. After much consideration, Kuroi finally opened her mouth, the same flat voice as ever delivered with a low, almost malicious volume. "I'm a light sleeper. Please try to be very sensitive in how you wake me up."

After judging that Xeria had her full attention, Kuroi continued with the same dark tone, "I've asked you before not to raise your voice, and I think I'll be adding teleportation to the list." She was careful about mentioning the waking incident of yesterday, but as she realized the witch may have forgotten, it didn't hurt both to bring it up as an example and to remind her that raising her voice was a bad idea around a sleeping Kuroi.

"But you got upset at me when I tried to help... You were mad at me..." Xeria still couldn't forget that blank look on Kuroi's face, the aura of menace that rose up when Xeria realised her clever plan turned out to be neither clever or a plan. The picture was beginning to become a lot clearer, and the truth of mistaken intent and misinterpreted actions had taken ahold. But that still didn't explain Xeria's extreme reaction that whole night and this morning.

"You were going to hurt me... if I wasn't being a good girl..."

... What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back