• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Tale of Fire and Ice: An Unexpected Engagement

The Velveteen Rabbit

A Fluffy Bun
After sailing for countless days, she had finally arrived.

The large ship pulled up alongside the dock, its sails whipping around in the cool night air. A white and blue flag with a bird sigil waved above that only a few seemed to recognize. A wooden catwalk was suddenly lowered onto the deserted dock, and a beautiful woman with flowing white hair and a small, frail old man walked out. The short old man seemed to be quite distraught, hobbling after her with a small wooden cane.

"But Lady Evangeline! We're two days early! If the king and his men were to find out that we arrived in their kingdom without further notice, we'd be in big trouble! Why don't we stay in this town for awhile, hm? Get something to eat, perhaps? At least here on the edge of town we won't be discovered." The old man tried to reason with the girl, stopping behind her as she stood in the middle of the dock, flicking a brown hood over her head. She laughed softly and turned towards him.

"Grandfather... it'll be okay. They won't know as long as we keep quiet about it. Besides," the girl whipped towards the city before her, her pale blue eyes sparkling.

"I want to experience the kingdom first. I've never been to such a big city before. I'm sure the people here are wonderful too. Maybe it'd be best if you all waited here. I'll find an inn to stay at for the next few nights."

"But, princess!" A group of men groaned from the ship, peering over the ledge with sad looks on their faces.

"We're hungry!" One called out.

"Yeah, we want some food!"

"And alcohol!"

"And girls!"

They burst into a fit of laughter and snickered among themselves. Evangeline arched an eyebrow towards them, not looking too pleased with their behavior.

Men will be men, I suppose. Evangeline thought with her hands on her hips. Even her grandfather seemed to like the idea of that.

She seemed to finally give in, letting out a sigh and shrugging her shoulders, a small smile on her face.

"Oh alright, we'll stay here for the next two days. But we're leaving first thing in the morning."

The men aboard the ship went wild with excitement, cheering as they piled off the ship with their luggage in tow. After finding an inn, the group immediately settled in. While Evangeline's men and her grandfather were off getting drunk in the inn, she took the time to explore the city at night, wandering around for quite some time before finally returning back.

Little did the princess know, she was being watched...

Two days later...

Today was the day.

Evangeline would be meeting the king for the first time that day. A man she had never met before. It bothered her that she was marrying a person she didn't know, not to mention a slightly hostile one at that. Her kingdom and his had never gotten along. But her father insisted, and so here she was, sitting in a fancy carriage pulled by two magnificent white horses trekking down the road.

A hood was still pulled over her head, and she found herself gazing out the window at the kingdom passing by. The climate was drastically different here. In her kingdom, it snowed day and night and the air was icy. But here, the sun shone above brightly and it appeared to always be warm. It was going to take some getting used to...

"Are you nervous, princess?" Her grandfather asked from across her, his old eyes watching her carefully. She chuckled softly.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't." She murmured quietly in response, placing her hand underneath her chin and continuing to gaze out the window.

"Well, you are marrying the king of fire, and you being a princess of ice, it doesn't make much sense really." Her grandfather hooted to himself. Evangeline sighed and arched an eyebrow, squinting her eyes at him.

"If you're trying to make me feel better, it isn't working." She commented with a light chuckle.

"You'll be fine, my lady. Maybe he'll turn out to be a nice man after all. You never know."

While the two conversed with one another, the carriage suddenly came to a halt at the gates leading into the castle. Before long, they had gained access, passing the guards posted there. They seemed to be staring curiously at the passengers within, trying to get a good look at the princess. Thanks to her hood, Evangeline's face was mostly concealed so they didn't get to see much. Her eyes lit up the moment she saw how extravagant and large the castle was. She simply couldn't believe it.

The king's royal advisor, also known as Clyde Quintus, was immediately notified of the princess' arrival and he quickly made his way towards the king's quarters, knocking on the door.

"Your Majesty, the princess has arrived." He called through the door, not awaiting a response.

"Are you almost ready? You don't want to be late for the engagement meeting."

DergTheDergon DergTheDergon

Last edited:
Xander was sat reading in his quarters, an extravagant room decorated with dark red and symbols of fire everywhere you looked. His long coal-black hair fell about his shoulders as he blew astrange from his face, turning the page and scanning his deep red eyes through it.

Xander read when he, of course, had the time, but more than that, when he wanted to keep his mind off of things. He was worried about the princess. Not her, really, as much as her arrival. Did she make it here to begin with? The wilderness between the kingdoms was quite dangerous, famous for folks getting lost in it and never returning. Further, what would happen at the wedding? A few ruffians might jump at the chance to burn an elven ice witch, and even if no violence broke out at the wedding, it was likely that she would be a prime target for assassination and thus, would have ot be kept under guard at all times. It was all a nightmare, but... he had to do this. His people, as much as he'd rather not admit it, needed the ice tribe. Small villages had been annihilated in less than an hour by the gradually approaching dark forces. Without some more raw elemental power, his kingdom would be surely lost in months at most. The same was true of the ice nation, so here he was marrying an ice princess, and an elf at that, all for a symbol of "Peace" between the nations that would likely fall apart if and when the darkness forces were deafeated. Xander had not slept all night, and thus, was trying to read to keep himself occupied until the princess arrived.

Xamder had spent the last few days held up in his quarters just like this, caving under the pressure of this marriage. he just needed to get this over with. He knew that after he brought himself to kiss an ice elf in front of thousands of his people, most of which despised her kind, his anxiety would fade. For now though, it was almost too much to bear.

Soon, through the door, after a knocking, he heard the news he'd both been waiting for and dreading. He had prepared himself hours ago just so he could read up until the very moment he had to meet her. He closed his book and called out, "yes yes, i am prepared. Just one moment." He put his book away, and donned his nearby crown, a crown made of a shiny red metal and shaped into a ring around the centerpiece, a large ruby in the shape of an ember. Then, he exited the room and followed his advisor without a word.

The moment he saw the princess in the room the engagement meeting would take place, his gaze softed for just moment, before it hardened again. But she was beauitful, for an elf at least. That was good, it would certianly be nice to have her as arm candy if nothing else.

"So," the kind said, sitting downand getting straight ot business, looking to the princess. "let us get this underway, princess. I am glad you have made it here in once piece, the area can be rather unforgiving. Now, what are your peopel's terms for this marriage? We agreed to trade resources as part of this marriage but did not discuss details. Tell me what your people want, and we will engotiate." He was all business, seeing this as just a means to an end.

The Velveteen Rabbit The Velveteen Rabbit

The royal adviser had informed the princess that he would be just a moment after she arrived, fetching to retrieve the king from his chambers. Evangeline waited inside the throne room, her hood now lowered. She could feel the eyes of those around her burning into her skin and it unsettled her. Whispers could be heard among the royal guardsmen who stared at the elf with hostile gazes.

"The king should have chose someone else. This is going to be a disaster."

"Marrying an elf from the Ice Kingdom? Has he lost his mind?"

The princess immediately shut out their voices, trying to concentrate on the exquisite decor around her. She had prepared herself for this, but now that she was here, it was sickening.

The doors leading into the throne room were swung open, and the king appeared, his royal adviser not too far behind. The guardsmen within the room instantly hushed, straightening their positions as the king passed by and sat in his chair.

His eyes... they're so cold. Evangeline thought as she saw him for the first time, watching as he spoke to her. She grew weary of him. A marriage with no love involved... the thought disgusted her. She had to remind herself that she was doing this for her people, not for his sake.

Straight to the point, huh?

He didn't even bother introducing himself. The fact that he didn't irritated the princess slightly, but she tried her best to hide it. Evangeline managed a small smile and bowed before him, returning to a normal stance after a few moments.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, your Majesty. My people want protection from the kingdom of darkness, as well as a steady supply of food and goods. After the most recent attack, they are in dire need of resources. In return, they are to trade supplies and goods as well." She explained to him, the smile still slightly evident on her face.

"Do these terms seem acceptable to you?"

Xander met her smile with his own, for appearances if nothing else. Seeing as she was puting in the effort to appear as if she wasn't loathing any moment of this, he would do the same. He listened to her requests and nodded, stroking his chin. "This seems fair... I will agree as long as your people agree to aid us as well if we are in dire need. We are a strong nation so I doubt that will happen, but caution can never be laid on too thickly." Then, he remembered that he never ntroduced himself. "Ah, and I am King Xander Garcen of The Nation Of Flame, as you know. Apologies, I simply felt that we needed to get those details out of the way right away. Please, have a seat, princess evangeline."

He sat down across from her as a servant girl, standing by, poured the to-be-wed couple tea. "Now, before anything else we need to discuss what needs to be done, both for our engangement and for the war. I have planned for the wedding to be exactly one week from now, which I am aware is rather soon but as you are aware, our countires both need this marriage as a symbol of unity against Darkness, and quickly." His voice held a fair amount of sympathy for a moment, showing that he did care greatly for his people. It was gone as soon as it came, however.

The king took a sip of his tea. "I've an engagement ring prepared for you, of course. Dahlia, if you would." Dahlia took a small red leather box from her tea cart and handed it to Xander, who in turn placed it on the table in front of Evangeline. "I hope it is to your liking." Opening the box, Evangeline would see a finely-crafted silver ring, set with a rather large saphire shaped like a glacier and an equally large Ruby shape like a flame, side-by side, surrounded by ornate silver work. It was clear the king spared no expense, for what it was worth. "Have you any questions, my dear? I will speak about how you are expected to behave in public at a later time, so as not to overwhelm you."

Last edited:
Evangeline watched him carefully, noticing the smile on his face and seeing right through it. He was a closed-off man. The princess had a feeling the two of them would be very distant towards each other for awhile. A feeling of dread suddenly washed over her, but she tried to ignore it, nodding slightly after he motioned for her to take a seat.

She sat down, glancing towards the servant girl before flicking her pale gaze back to Xander. Evangeline listened intently to his words, unable to ignore the coldness in his eyes as he spoke.

One week... She repeated in her mind. That wasn't long at all.

"Of course. This engagement is for the unification of our kingdoms, and nothing more." The princess agreed with a small, dazzling smile, matching his coldness with her own.

Xander's royal adviser cleared his throat from behind him, feeling the tension between them. Evangeline glanced over to the man and noticed he was uncomfortable. She couldn't help but arch an eyebrow slightly before her attention was pulled away by the sight of a velvet box being placed on the table in front of her. When it was opened and the ring was revealed, Evangeline was amazed by its beauty.

"It's beautiful..." She murmured softly, her eyes sparkling. Evangeline suddenly blinked rapidly in realization, completely forgetting this was just an agreement, nothing more. She laughed quietly, trying not to appear embarrassed.

"My family will be pleased." Evangeline said to the king with another smile.

Before she could say anything more, Clyde cleared his throat again, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Excuse my intrusion, but I feel it is necessary to let lady Evangeline know that a party will be held tonight to formally introduce her to ambassadors from our allied kingdoms." Clyde explained to Evangeline.

"A party? That sounds wonderful." The princess smiled slightly, however on the inside she was dreading it.

"Think of it as a welcoming party. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. Our designer already has a dress picked out for you as well, and I must say it's quite lovely. Is there anything else you would like to add, your Majesty?" The royal adviser asked the king while turning to him.

Last edited:
Xander pursed his lips as Evangeline agreed a little too well with his sentiment, if it could be called such, that this marriage was for the sakes of their people. It seemed like she was trying to make a point, or to show him up. Xander was just about to retort snarkily before he heard Clyde Clear his throat, likely knowing that his king was about to escalate this situation. Xander then simply placed the ring before her in order to provide a distraction from the building tension.

Her reaction to the ring was unexpectedly favorable, causing Xander to smirk despite himself. This was the only genuine-seeming smile he had seen from her thus far. This gave Xander an idea… perhaps it would be easy enough to keep her content and keep himself on her good side (or at least not on her bad side) with fine jewelry, clothing, perfumes and the like. He’d have to keep that in mind.

“I am glad they will be as pleased with it as you seem to be, my dear,” Xander said. He rolled his eyes as Clyde cleared his throat again, wondering why he felt that this situation needed some sort of intervention. However, Xander’s eyes widened as Clyde told Evangeline of the party this evening, which to his shame the king himself had forgotten about with everything else on his mind. He shot Clyde a thankful glance as he prompted the king fro further input, Xander clearing his own throat then looking Evangeline in the eyes seriously.

“Yes, I have a few things to add. This party is crucial to smooth over the bunched undergarments of some of my kingdom’s officials. They are very skeptical of this engagement, and we must make it as convincing as possible that it will work. We mustn't be seen without each other, and we must act as if we truly are fond of each other. Considering how well you’ve been keeping up a pleasant demeanor during this meeting i doubt that in particular will be a problem, thankfully. Also, some of my subordinates will ask questions of you. Be careful how you answer them, and by no means make it seem as though you’re going to be making any of the important decisions regarding the war with Darkness. If asked what your role as queen will be, tell them that your main focus will be relations with your own people. I assume that will be your focus regardless, but it is imperative that my people do not think you will be given power to make decisions for this country. I hope I havemade myself clear.”

Xander folded his hands and forced a pleasant smile. “Now that that’s out of the way… perhaps you would like to see our chambers? Be given a tour of the castle, perhaps? if there’s no more questions, we should get that underway.” Xander waited for Evangeline’s input before acting.

A bunch of ignorant, stuck-up pigs... I can't wait to meet them.

The sarcastic thought popped into her mind as she listened to the king speak of the party and who exactly was going to be there. Just the thought of having to wear a fake smile and prance around from guest to guest made the princess' stomach turn. She suppressed the urge to scowl at the very idea of it. Even though Clyde claimed it to be a 'welcoming party', Evangeline knew it was just an event to tighten loose ends.

This was going to be a very unpleasant evening.

Evangeline couldn't help but arch an eyebrow slightly, almost beginning to glare at the king.The smile dropped from her face in the blink of an eye, and her icy gaze suddenly became colder than usual the longer Xander spoke. It appeared she could no longer hold herself back any longer.

"Oh, you make yourself perfectly clear, your Majesty." Her voice dripped with venom. The princess locked her gaze with Xander's from across the table.

"I can assure you that what I say will not be an issue... however," a half grin spread across her pink lips.

"If you think that I will act so pleasantly around you outside of this event, I'm afraid you are deeply mistaken." She told him coldly, her eyes sharp and icy. Evangeline leaned back into her seat, crossing her arms over her chest stubbornly and arching an eyebrow.

"So, lets save the pleasantries for tonight, shall we? My journey was long and tiresome, and all of this talk has made me restless." Evangeline rose from her seat, staring towards the king with those piercing eyes of hers.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to be shown to my chambers so I can rest."

Evangeline surprised herself with her own behavior. Never had she felt the desire the act so coldly towards someone she had just met before. It was something about him. The way he acted made her instantly dislike him. There was so much falseness in his voice, in his smile...

It was disgusting.

Xander frowned deeply as Evangeline began to speak in such a venom-filled tone. He narrowed his eyes, staring straight into hers and beginning to quake with anger after not too long.

'How DARE she', Xander thought as her toxic words spilled out of her mouth more every second. His face was twisted with anger, and he had half a mind to slap the woman. But, he needed to try and make this work, and that was not it. As much as she tried his patience he knew that it would be detrimental to his relations with the ice kingdom if he ever harmed her in any way... which made this all the more infuriating. After she was done speaking, he barely managed to regain his composure, take a deep breath, and speak calmly while rubbing his temples.

"I see... at the very least I admire that you've made yourself clear. Of course, you should not expect me to be pleasant either until this evening. You've certainly earned the rest, and I'll be glad not to have to interact with you until this evening." He leaned over the table a bit, his eyes cold, his expression displeased.

The king turned towards Clyde without further adieu."Clyde, please escort the future Queen to her chambers. I've had quite enough of her for the moment." He watched as Clyde politely led her out of the room, before promptly standing up, walking over to the nearby liquor cabinet, pouring himself a shot of rather strong spirits and knocking it back, sighing afterwards. "I may have to keep this bottle around me at all times if she is to keep acting this way," Xander muttered to himself.

Xander took care of a few pieces of kingly business in the next few hour,s retirin to his chambers for a bit of a rest before the party, lying down. He ha instructed Clyde to come wake him up when it was time, ensuring that Evangeline was ready to go as well.

The moist dreaded time of the evening for both Evvangeline and Xander finally arrived, and Xander came out of his chambers in one of his nicest robes, burgundy red and made with only the finest materials and furs. Clyde led Evangeline down to the entrance of the castle, Xander looking to her, approving of her dress in his mind but not giving any indication of such, simply meeting her eyes for a moment with a little less coldness than usual before turning away as the guards began to escort the two down to and inside the royal carriage. Xander said nothing as the ride to the party began, the air tense.

Last edited:
"Likewise."

The princess snapped back to the king just before she followed Clyde out of the room without another word. She couldn't believe him. What an arrogant king. Just the thought of him seemed to give her a painful headache and she let out a sharp sigh. Evangeline was relieved to hear that they wouldn't be sharing the same bedroom, at least, for now that is.

Clyde stole a glance at Evangeline, noticing her silence as he led her through the long corridors of the castle. She seemed to be staring forward, eyes as cold as ever and expression filled with annoyance. He cleared his throat slightly as they were walking to break the silence.

"I apologize for my Majesty's behavior. I hope you can understand that this is a stressful time for him, and I'm assuming for you as well. I can assure you he doesn't usually act like this." The royal adviser explained to her, noticing that Evangeline's irritation seemed to die down in an instant. She let out a sigh, looking a bit tired.

"I understand. I... apologize for my behavior as well. I'm sure you can see that this isn't easy for me..." The princess said softly, staring down towards the floor as they walked.

"Marrying a man who I barely know or love... it's unrealistic."

Clyde looked at her again, seeing pain in her eyes for the first time. It quickly disappeared though, and was replaced by a harsh coldness. He shrugged his shoulders slightly and flashed her a small, reassuring smile as he stopped in front of the doorway leading into her bedroom.

"It'll take time and patience, Princess Evangeline. Xander can be a difficult man, but he really does care for those around him. He just hasn't had the chance to show it yet." He smiled again before opening the door to her chambers and stepping aside so she could enter.

"Here is your bedroom, my lady. You will stay here until you so choose to leave and join Xander in his chambers. There will be two maids who will be helping you regularly, Hana and Rina. You haven't met them yet, but you will later tonight. They'll be helping you with your dress and such before the party."

The princess stepped into her room while he told her this, admiring the extravagant bedroom and the giant window overlooking the courtyard. She swiveled back towards him and nodded in understanding, smiling slightly.

"Thank you for your help today, Clyde. I appreciate it." Evangeline told him, her voice now kind and soft. Her change in demeanor surprised the adviser, but he didn't show it, and instead smiled.

"Of course. I will see you later, your highness. If you need anything, feel free to let me or one of the maids know. Rest well." And with that, he closed the door behind him, and finally, the princess was alone. Her shoulders slumped forward slightly as she let out a deep sigh, her feet carrying her towards her bed. She collapsed on top of it, staring up towards the ceiling.

"What have I gotten myself into..." She whispered to herself, her eyes beginning to flutter shut.

It only took an hour or two, but finally, Evangeline was ready to leave for the party. She stood in front of the mirror, admiring herself with a sheepish smile on her face.

"I-It's a lovely dress, but don't you think it's a bit too revealing?" Evangeline pointed towards her chest, turning towards the royal designer who had his hand under his chin, looking quite pleased with himself and his masterpiece as he looked her up and down.

"Of course not! You look absolutely stunning! The king will be so pleased!" The designer exclaimed, clapping his hands together and smiling widely. Evangeline's two maids, Hana and Rina, nodded quickly in agreement, looking extremely excited.

"You're so beautiful, my lady! I'm so jealous!"

"Everyone is going to adore you!"

Evangeline giggled quietly and smiled towards the three.

"You are all too kind. Thank you for helping me get ready tonight." She responded happily.

Eventually, the princess was escorted out of her room by the two young maids, meeting Clyde in the hallway along the way. He was trying his hardest not to stare at how stunning the princess looked in her dress, appearing to be slightly flustered. The adviser managed to recompose himself however and led the princess towards the main doorway and down the steps, seeing Xander waiting at the bottom.

Xander's reaction to her appearance was exactly what Evangeline expected and she rolled her eyes irritably. Clyde face palmed behind his king, not understanding what his deal was.The two royals were wearing polar opposite colors. Xander's robes were burgundy red, while hers were light blue and white. Hana and Rina, who were waiting nearby, looked disappointed with the king's reaction and sighed in unison. They said their goodbyes to the princess before she sat down in the royal carriage and began her journey to the party.

The inside of the carriage was dead silent. Xander and Evangeline were sitting on opposite sides of each other, staring out the windows and refusing to look at one another.

Clyde glared at the king beside him and lightly kicked his foot without the princess noticing. He gave him a look and arched an eyebrow towards the beautiful woman sitting silently across from him.

'Say something' was the look Clyde gave him. The adviser looked stern, not approving of the way his king was acting towards the princess. They would never get along if this was how things were going to be.

Without the feathery headdress thing though :3
large.jpg

Last edited:
Truth be told, Xander felt a slight pang of guilt seeing Evangeline, Hana, and Rina's combined reactions to his own reaction (or lack thereof) to her dress. He really did like it, but he was still very upset with how she talked back to him earlier. He saw her roll her eyes and clenched his fist a little, taking a deep breath and continuing to ignore her. He had half a mind to apoligize and tell her that her dress really was lovely, but he didn't find it in him. He knew he was being petty, but the ice princess living up to her title really did not put him in the mood to be nice on top of all the extreme stressors he'd been experiencing lately.

In the carriage, he felt a painful kick to his ankle, barely keeping from yelping in pain and turning to glare at Clyde. He refused to look at Evangeline for a few more seconds, but Clyde simply held his glare, the Advisor's eyebrow raised in the princess's direction. Sighing, the king looked over towards her and thought carefully about what to say for a moment. Quietly, he spoke up.

"Your dress truly is lovely, milady," he said with a genuine tone that likely shocked her a bit. "I am aware I didn't make it clear I thought that, and doubt if you believe me now. I apoligize. I simply have faced more stress and strain in the past few weeks alone than my entire rule prior, which does not do wonders for my temper and demeanor." 'Along with your damnable snark,' he thought, just barely restraining himself from adding that little comment. "Also, after this evening we will not have to put up appearances for near as long. If we bear with it well enough, we will be in the good graces of my court, which may persuade them to grant your people more aid than they originally agreed. I promise that I will not unnecessarily bother you as you get acclimatized, as well." His tone was sincere, letting it be known that he truly was sorry, for what it was worth. He wasn't expecting an answer, so he simply fell silent after that.

He found himself looking over at her more and more as the ride went on. Once Clyde had forced him to look at her after he'd calmed down a little, he realized what a mistake he'd made with his reaction to her dress. If he'd simply allowed himself to really look her over and realize just how stunning she looked in it, he might've made this night a bit easier for the both of them. As it stood however, his behavior had likely made it hard and he doubted his earlier words, heartfelt as they were, were near enough to smooth this over.

The ride was over far too quickly, and the unhappy couple found themselves linking arms, forcing smiles and walking to the grand ballroom before them. The king greeted the people who clamored to greet him with a well-practiced joviality, Evangeline likely doing the same. Xander watched Evangeline discreetly as he went about his motions to see how she was fairing. Guests were still arriving, and Xander really hoped that no one was trying to sabotage the marriage. A hopeful concubine or somesuch would make it especially difficult to have this go off without a hitch.

Last edited:
The princess was beginning to dread this carriage ride more than the upcoming party itself. Nothing but silence encompassed them. She tried to ignore the fact that there was obvious tension in the air between herself and the king, but it appeared to be unavoidable. It's not like she could just jump out of the carriage and walk, as much as she'd like to.

Her cold gaze flicked over to Xander the moment he began to speak. Evangeline's eyes widened slightly in shock and then softened, but only for a split second before the softness disappeared in a flash. She seemed less tense at least. Hearing the king speak genuinely for the first time since they'd met was a bit of a relief. Maybe he wasn't as arrogant as she thought he was.

She didn't respond right away. The princess appeared to be observing him, trying to figure out if this was all a joke or if he was actually being serious. Her eyes were slightly squinted, scanning his face for any sign of falsehood. When she found none, Evangeline smiled a small smile that surprised even Clyde. It was barely noticeable, yes, but it was a smile nonetheless. She suddenly seemed a little less cold.

"Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. There's no need for you to apologize. You are a king after all, I can't imagine how strained you must feel. If anything, I feel I should be the one apologizing for my behavior earlier today. It was... uncalled for." The princess averted her gaze, feeling a slight pang of guilt for acting the way she did. Looking back on it, it was pretty uncalled for.

Maybe if he hadn't been such an ass, things would have gone more smoothly. She thought irritably, and she forced herself to suppress the urge to snap at him. Luckily, the princess managed another smile when she looked back at him, hiding her irritation well.

"Hopefully tonight helps use take our minds off of it, at least for the time being."

Just as she spoke that last sentence, the carriage had arrived at the grand ballroom, pulling up to the staircase leading inside. Evangeline exited after Xander did, stepping down next to him and Clyde. The royal adviser flashed the king an approving smile while the princess was distracted, winking.

Feeling Xander's unfamiliar touch made Evangeline momentarily tense up, but she forced herself to relax, following him up the stairs. By the looks on people's faces as they walked up to greet Evangeline and Xander, almost everyone appeared to be completely mesmerized by her beauty. It was like everyone had suddenly forgotten she was an elf. The princess smiled warmly towards everyone she met, conversing easily with them and leaving them either laughing or smiling happily as they strolled by into the ballroom. So far, Evangeline was actually starting to enjoy herself.

Maybe tonight won't be so bad after all... She thought with a genuine smile.

"XANDER!" A high-pitched cry of joy echoed from in front of the king and his soon-to-be wife. Evangeline arched an eyebrow out of curiosity, turning towards the source of the voice. Her eyes settled on a beautiful young girl, around her age, speeding up the steps towards the king. She had long, gorgeous blonde hair and blue eyes, and judging by her attire, the girl seemed to be some sort of noble as well. She outstretched her arms and jumped onto him, practically tackling him to the ground.

"My love, it's been too long. Did you miss me?" She purred softly, pulling away from the king with her arms still wrapped around his neck. The girl was obscenely close to him.

...my love? Evangeline thought with an arched eyebrow. Just who was this girl? Her energy was ridiculously annoying and high maintenance.

The blonde suddenly began to pout, her eyes sparkling sadly up at Xander.

"Why didn't you tell me you were getting engaged?! I thought you and I were getting married!" She pretended to wipe a tear away and sniffled. When the girl caught sight of Evangeline, her excitement suddenly disappeared and she froze. She pointed rudely and placed her hand on her hip, her jaw dropping.

"That THING is your wife?" The girl scowled. Evangeline felt her fists begin to clench and her eye begin to twitch as she forced a smile through clenched teeth.

"Excuse me?" The princess asked with a shaky tone, clearly struggling with controlling her own anger around this person. The girl completely ignored her however and stuck her face close to Xander's, looking very irritated and hurt.

"You're marrying an elf over ME? I can't believe you're lowering yourself to that level-"

"Now, now, Lana. You shouldn't be so disrespectful to your future queen," Clyde suddenly spoke from behind Xander, his expression serious and eyebrows raised. Lana giggled softly and batted her eyelashes at him innocently.

"I'm only kidding, Clyde. Sheesh, no need to be so serious." She commented with a smile, turning towards Evangeline suddenly.

"I'm Lana Mercier, princess of the Air Kingdom. It's a pleasure." Lana kept the introduction short, looking back to Xander and gazing up at him before Evangeline even had a chance to respond. The air princess suddenly pulled on the king's arm lightly, trying to lead him inside of the ballroom, completely ignoring Evangeline at this point.

"This is boring, Xander. Come dance with me. Please?" She pouted with a playful, flirty look in her eyes. Evangeline couldn't believe this girl. She glanced over to Clyde to see his reaction, and the adviser didn't appear to enjoy her company either. It was exhausting just looking at her...

Xnader allowed her to observe him, looking her straight in the eyes with a sincere expression, only for said expression to morph instantly into bewilderment as she smiled, a different kind of smile than he'd seen from her so far, the genuine kind. His surprise only doubled when she responded, and such kind and sympathetic words as well. When she said, in a heartfelt tone, that her earlier behavior was uncalled for, he wondered if this was even the same woman he climbed into the carriage with. She certainly looked the same, and he could never forget her stunning beauty. Perhaps she was just as strained as he was from all of this as he was, and that had been causing her recent unpleasant behavior just as it had been doing for him. This thought made him realize that if he simply brought himself to be pleasant around her, even after this party, then perhaps he could smooth things over and perhaps it would even come naturally do him after a while. Seeing how favorable her response was to just a bit of genuine pleasantry made the experiment more than worth a try. He would have to see how it worked, which may depend on how this night goes, and if no one saw fit to ruin their night in some way.

"Yes, hopefully this will take our minds away from the woes of our lives for an evening," he replied to her last statement with his own tiny smile. He was startin to beleive that this may not be so bad after all. However.... there were still things that could go wrong, such as running into the wrong people at the wrong times.

There was one particular quest he was dreading running into, the air princess. What was her name again? Lanie? Dana? Whatever it was, he had a feeling that she'd be all over him and generally make it difficult to simply go about the evening as planned. Though he had to admit he was curious about how beautiful she would look, what sort of gorgeous attire she'd adorn herself in... Xander frowned as he caught his thoughts wondering in that particular direction. There was a reason that he hadn't allowed her o court him, several actually. The offical reason was simply that it was imperative that he marry the ice princess for relations with the ice kingdom, but secretly he knew that she would be the most irritating, high-maintenance woman he could ever choose. She would drive him abosolutely mad within weeks, he knew it.

He finally was able to refocus himself as the couple got out of the carriage, the approving look and wink he received from Clyde perking the king up a little. Sometimes, it almost felt like Clyde was ruling the country and Xander simply did what he said to do, things always working out when he did so. This was no exception. Letting that thought slip from his mind, he went about his motions of meeting, greeting and otherwise socializing. Evangeline seemed to be doing quite wqell, better than expected in fact, to the kings' great relief.

Sadly, it was not long until he heard a high-pitched cry of his name that sent his chest tightening and his stomach churning with dread. It was her. Evangeline was really not going to like her, and he'd have to deal with her in a pleasant yet guarded manner so as not to betray the smaller-than-feigned amount of interest he truly had in Evangeline at the moment. That was going to be quite difficult, as even as she was running over to him he instinctually, being a male, looked the beautiful princess up and down approvingly.

Xander stumbled a little as Lana threw herself against him. "Perhaps I did, it's a secret," he said to brush off the question, all the while subtly distancing his body from hers a little. Truth be told, he didn't really miss her at all. He missed her beauty a little, but that was about it. She would likely be wonderful in bed, and bring a lot of... energy, let's say, to public gatherings, but that was all she had going for her as far as being queen material. Her words had likely made Evangeline question if Xander had some sort of affair going with Lana, which he'd have to reassure her about as soon as he suddenly got Lana out of his hair, which would be quite the process.

"Come now dear, you know of the situation with the ice kingdom," he told Lana politely in response to her rather dumb and obnoxious question. He found himself swallowing in dread at her overdramatic reaction to Evangeline. Now this was just ludicrous. It was very common knowledge, even in the Air Kingdom, that he would be marrying an Elf. He sighed, the girl clearly trying his patience, though she either pretended to or truly didn't grasp that she was annoying him, keeping on with her extreme neediness, clinginess and rudeness. He was thankful for Clyde's attempted intervention, but she simply brushed that off, denying entirely that she was serious at all about her distaste of Evangeline, and proceeded to ask him for a dance. Xander clearly seemed to consider it, looking her over thoughtfully and even loosening his grip on Evangeline's arm for a moment, but then got a grip on himself and became quite appaled with his thoughts indeed. "I am sorry, Lana, but I will have to decline. It would be utterly wrong of me to dance with a woman other than my fiancee'. Come Evangeline." He began to walk away from Lana with Evangeline at his side, shooting Clyde a 'help me' kind of look as Lana surely followed and continued to be overly clingy and annoying. Xander tried to lose himself in the crowd, and greeted a few others to give Lana less leeway to interrupt him again.

Last edited:
The more Lana spoke, the more Evangeline wanted to leave. If it wasn't for Xander's arm still linked with hers, the princess would have been long gone by now. However she had to admit it was rather amusing watching the king try to shake off the air princess like the annoying pest she was. Evangeline forced herself to stifle a laugh as the two conversed with one another.

"But Xander, I wanted to dance with you first." Lana pouted irritably, frowning and crossing her arms over her chest. The annoying princess hadn't noticed the two were beginning to walk away with each other until she looked back, realizing they were making their escape. She mumbled under her breath angrily and made a wild dash for them, outstretching her hand and reaching for Xander. Clyde caught the king's look and went after the young princess as soon as she began moving, but he stopped himself the instant he saw Evangeline.

"Hey! I wasn't finished talking to-" Lana cut herself off out of shock, letting out a small gasp when Evangeline suddenly grabbed the girl's wrist, stopping the princess from touching Xander again. The ice princess managed to force a smile, arching an eyebrow towards the girl.

"I'll only ask this once; please do not touch my fiancee again. It's inappropriate and disrespectful behavior. Besides, if I recall, I'm the one who he asked to marry, not you." She growled icily, releasing her tight grip on the girl's wrist. Lana yelped quietly, rubbing her wrist as if it were seriously injured.

"If I see you touching him again," Evangeline's eyes went cold, her expression deadly as she suddenly pulled Xander closer to her body, placing her hand on the side of his neck.

"You'll regret it."

Lana's eyes widened and she took several steps back out of fear, unable to look away from the iciness of her gaze. She eventually ran off, not saying another word to either of them. Evangeline let out a sigh, lowering her hand from Xander's neck and distancing herself a bit from him.

"Finally, she's gone." The princess muttered, happy to be free of that girl's presence for now at least. When she turned back towards Xander and saw the look on his face, Evangeline rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Don't look at me like that. If I hadn't of done something about it, she never would have left you alone." She took a step away from him, looking back and smiling slightly.

"Anyways, I'm going to get something to drink. Let me know if that girl comes back."

And with that, the princess made her way into the crowd, smiling and greeting people along the way. Once she found a maid standing in the corner of the room, Evangeline made her way towards the girl who immediately offered her a glass of sparkling champagne. She took a few sips from the drink before sighing, thanking the maid who offered to hold it for her. Off to her right, a group of men seemed to be approaching her.

"My lady, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." One of them spoke up, catching her attention. Evangeline turned towards them just as the old man began to introduce himself.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Duke Ferrara, the Minister of State. This is the Air Kingdom's ambassador, Gavin Livius." He motioned towards the man standing beside him. Evangeline eyed the ambassador wearily. He was wearing a sickening smirk on his face as he stared at her. She didn't like it at all.

Evangeline smiled warmly despite all of this and bowed slightly out of respect.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. Thank you for coming. I'm Evangeline Sylvari, Xander's fiancee-"

"His Majesty's playmate in playing house... isn't that right?"

The ambassador sneered mockingly, the smirk still plastered on his face. Evangeline looked a bit taken back by the sudden interruption, arching an eyebrow.

"Excuse me?"

"I've heard so much about you, your highness. They say that you came from the Ice Kingdom, a small, weak country that can barely stay alive as it is. The only reason why you're marrying the king is to save your frail homeland from being exterminated. It's pathetic, really. Calling us all the way here just to present and humiliate someone like you... that's his Majesty for you." The group of men broke into a fit of mocking laughter before her.

"How DARE you!" Evangeline snarled loudly, her fists clenched and eyes filled with anger.

"You have no right to speak to me that way. My kingdom may not be the strongest or the biggest country in the world, but at least it doesn't have pathetic, ignorant assholes like you in it." She spat, not caring that almost half of the guests in the ballroom were listening in at this point. The ambassador gritted his teeth with anger.

"What did you just say to me, elf?!" The ambassador snapped, suddenly raising his left hand. He slapped her hard across the face, causing the princess to collapse to the floor, her palm pressed against her stinging cheek in shock. The maid who had served Evangeline her drink suddenly gasped, the platter in her hands dropping to the floor after witnessing what the ambassador had just done. The sound of glass shattering against the ground echoed throughout the ballroom, and suddenly, everyone went silent.

Too shocked to move, Evangeline continued to lay there, her body beginning to shake with anger.

Last edited:
Xander could sense that Evangeline was even more annoyed by the presence of Lana than even he was himself, which was quite the feat in all honesty. She even loosened her grip on his arm slightly, and it seemed as though she wanted to move away but felt obligated to stay by his side. Thankfully, Clyde jumped in just in time… but before even Xander’s highly skilledAdvisor could intercept the energetic, clingy Air Princess, Evangeline grabbed her arm suddenly.

Xander froze, shooting his would-be wife an incredulous look at her outburst. He glanced back towards Lana as she retreated, a slight look of relief in his eyes as he stared at her quickly-receding back, before remembering what Evangeline had just done in order to make her leave and glaring at her again.

Her response was perfect, no argument that could possibly compete with that sprung to mind. Lana really would have kept pestering him if not for her, because the king knew that doing anything like Evangeline just did to her would have seriously damaged relations with the Air kingdom, which the Fire kingdom couldn’t afford with all they had lost in this damn war already.

Xander sighed deeply at Evangeline’s next words. “Very well,: he said, thinking that he would love to have a drink as well… however he knew it was a terrible idea, so he refrained. Secretly, he didn’t have much of a tolerance for alcohol. Being drunk at a royal gathering was about as non-kingly as someone could possibly get.

Xander busied himself with talking amongst the nobles, luckily a very time-consuming activity as everyone wanted a chat with the king himself, either for political reasons or simply to say that they spoke with him. Thankfully, Evangeline seemed to have effectively scared off Lana for at least a few minutes, Xander savoring the more pleasant conversations he was currently having.

Suddenly, Xander’s attention was brought, like everyone else in the ballroom, to a nearby gaggle of men laughing while one of them spoke to someone in a chastising, venomous tone. The words Ice kingdom” perked him up, and he stepped a little closer, excusing himself from the nobles he’d been speaking with. He understood a little clearing from here, and a fist clenched at hearing the man’s twisted interpretation of his own intention for bringing Evangeline here. It was all business, and he didn’t mean to humiliate his future wife. Despite himself, such an accusation made him very angry. Also slightly unlike him was just how much the slap following up Evangeline’s outburst of a response amplified his anger. “Clyde… get her some ice and protect her, please…” he asked his Advisor through gritted teeth. Without further adieu, he approached the men with angry, stomping footsteps, his face the most displeased anyone here ha ever seen him. “You lot will NOT harm my future Queen here! Out! Out, all of you or I’ll have you arrested!”

He had half a mind to lock them all up right then an there, but he knew that imprisoning so many many because one of them ridiculed and slapped an elf, the future queen or not, would not go over well. It might even caught an uprising. He’d keep it to himself for quite a while, but in his mind, he was starting to detest the racism within his own country.

Once the men were removed from the premises, Xander instructed Clyde to coordinate the servant to help calm the other guests while he went and checked on Evangeline, who was now under guard nearby. The guards saluted him and stepped aside.

With a genuinely worried expression and tone, Xander asked “Are you alright?” He hesitated for a moment, then asked another question. “Do you believe you can carry on, or would you rather me call this party off?” His tone made it clear that he really would do that for her, and that in situations like this, he was more than capable of treating her like he knew a man should treat his wife.

Still lying on the ground, Evangeline sat up slightly, her cheek starting to throb in pain. It was hard to process what had just happened. Everything was a blur. She stared at the man's feet before her, hearing nothing but muffled voices and whispers in the background. Just how hard had he smacked her?

Clyde immediately agreed to Xander's request, rushing to Evangeline's side and placing a hand on her shoulder before helping her rise to her feet. That seemed to snap the princess out of her daze, feeling someone's gentle touch. She glanced over to Clyde slowly, her hand still resting on her cheek and eyes wide. He smiled reassuringly and began to lead her away slowly.

"Come with me, my lady. Let's get you taken care of, shall we?" He spoke softly, placing his hand on her back to try and steer her away from the broken glass littering the floor near them. Evangeline gave a slight nod, beginning to follow him out of the ballroom, but a particular angry outburst seemed to stop her. The princess' eyes widened out of surprise after recognizing the king's voice. She could hear Xander yelling angrily at the men behind her, and she turned slightly to the side to see the looks on their faces.

They looked absolutely terrified.

"B-But your Majesty!" The ambassador tried to reason with him nervously, but once he saw the guards armed with swords making their way towards them, he immediately hushed himself and swallowed hard.

Evangeline's gaze softened and she smiled slightly, turning away as Clyde urged her to keep up with him. They eventually made it to a private room with a balcony, guards immediately posting outside of the entrance while the royal adviser treated the princess.

"Are you alright, Princess Evangeline?" Clyde asked her, holding out an ice pack, but the princess refused it.

"I'm okay." She responded back quietly, her voice smaller than usual. He seemed confused at first as to why she refused his aid, but once he noticed the palm pressed against her cheek, he immediately understood. The inside of Evangeline's palm was covered with a light layer of frost, cooling the hot skin of her cheek.

"Ah, my apologies. I forget at times you are capable of controlling ice." Clyde stepped away just as Xander entered the room. Evangeline looked up, her eyes widening in surprise at the concerned look on his face. She suddenly averted her gaze and stared down at the floor, her body still slightly shaking.

"You didn't have to do that for me, you know..." She murmured, recalling the angry words he had spoken in her defense. The scene brought a small smile to Evangeline's lips and she glanced back to him.

"But thank you for doing it anyway."

She closed her eyes and suddenly rose to her feet, lightly dusting off her dress.

"Canceling a party because of a little incident like that? I don't think that's hardly necessary." Evangeline was trying her best to act like what that man said hadn't bothered her, so she pushed any thoughts of him to the back of her mind and managed a smile, however she did look a bit upset still.

"Maybe a dance will help ease the tension? I'm sure our guests would love to see you two together on the dance floor." Clyde suggested, glancing back and forth between them.

"That depends," the princess responded, arching her eyebrow towards Xander suspiciously.

"Are you even a good dancer, your Majesty? I only ask because I happen to be very picky about my dance partners." Evangeline almost seemed to be challenging the king, and if you looked close enough, the princess appeared to be grinning just slightly.

Last edited:
Xander glared the ambassador down, his look displeased, utterly ignoring the man's pleas. In his mind, however, Xander was marveling at himself for getting so upset over this, and not being upset at Evangeline very much at all. Perhaps deep down, he cared for her more than he wanted to admit. Certain things about her were quite endearing, after all. Aside from her beauty, her willingness to do what she must for her people and her brave and bold personality were particularly attractive things about her. Also, the behavior of these men disgusted him to no avail. As such, he did not stop glaring in their direction as they were roughly escorted out by guards among a din of gasps, whisperings, and general panic.

While his servants were busy doing their best to calm the remaining guests, Xander made his way over towards Evangeline, feeling more concerned for her than he expected he'd be and showing it rather obviously. Xander averted his gaze as her eyes widened in surprise, likely noticing his concerned look and being shocked at it. It was only because he had to marry her and a King Protected his Queen, no matter what. Or at least, that;s what he mentally told himself as Evangeline spoke and he shook his head, finding himself smiling just slightly as she thanked him for his choice words towards her assailant. "Nonsense. If I didn't stick up for my Fiancee being accosted like that it wouldn't be very kingly of me." He smirked, betraying that he honestly had other reasons for sticking up for her, but kept them to himself.

Xander was amazed as Evangeline stood and brushed herself off without another word. He gave her a respectful nod at her words, relieved that she saw reason in such a situation. Perhaps she wouldn't make a bad queen after all, elf or not. That remained to be seen, however. Xander squinted incredulously at her, unsure if he believed she was as alright internally as she looked on the outside at the moment.

Clyde then suggested something that made Xander tense up a little. Not because he was a bad dancer, but... he would have to make a good impression, dancing with his would-be queen. If anything could easily convey how he felt about her, it was dancing with her.

At Evangeline's challenging words, the king frown frowned, but then grinned a few moments later. If he showed her a good enough dance, he could wipe the haughtiness in her tone right away. "Oh, I've been known to dance quite well. Very well, let us give our people a show." Xander was internally shocked that he had said 'our people' instead of 'my people', but barely managed not to make that clear on his face.

He led Evangeline arm-in-arm to the dance floor just as a nice, slow song kicked in. He outstretched his hand to Evangeline, his posture making it clear that he had danced quite a bit before. Once the pair had danced for a few moments, Evangeline would see that he truly was alright on his feet. Not the paragon of grace, mayhaps, but not a slouch by any stretch.

"Nonesense. If I didn't stick up for my fiancée being accosted like that it wouldn't be very kingly of me."

Yeah, that's what I thought you were going to say, you arrogant king. Evangeline thought bitterly to herself, trying not to let her irritation show. This marriage was, after all, just for the sake of their kingdoms. She needed to keep reminding herself that or else she'd lose sight of what was really important. If keeping up appearances and forcing pleasantries was all it took, than so be it.

Xander's reaction to her challenge amused the princess, and Evangeline found herself willingly linking arms with the king and following him out of the room, Clyde not too far behind. All eyes seemed to turn to them the moment they stepped out onto the dance floor, excited whispers and cheers erupting around them as Xander extended his hand towards her. Evangeline smiled before gently accepting his offer, allowing herself to step a bit closer to him, their hands clasped together. She placed her other hand on his shoulder, trying her best not to tense up when his free hand settled on her bare waist. Although it was rather pleasant in a way. His hands were unbelievably warm.

If only this dress was a little less revealing... Evangeline thought back to the royal designer and the excited look on his face. She smiled slightly in amusement.

Oh well.

Once the two began dancing, their guests watched from around them, forming a rather large circle to watch the couple. Everyone was completely silent. The only thing that could be heard was the beautiful music echoing throughout the grand room. Evangeline's dress swayed gently as the two danced around the room together.

"Do you think they're in love?" A noble woman whispered dreamily to another as she watched the couple dance.

"They sure do look like it. I'm surprised. I thought they wouldn't get along. They're completely the opposite after all. It's unbelievable, don't you think?"Another whispered back.

Evangeline leaned her head a little closer to Xander's ear, smiling slightly.

"You know... you're not a bad dancer after all. Are you trying to impress me, your Majesty?" She whispered softly, a slight tone of mischief in her voice. The two truly did look like a real couple, not to mention they danced perfectly together. Not once had either of them missed a step or stumbled. It looked so real. It really was a beautiful sight to behold, seeing the two royals dance.

Watching from the side, Clyde couldn't help but observe them quietly, a small smile on his face. It was interesting seeing the two of them together. Evangeline, being so cold and mysterious at first, finally seemed to break away from her shell, maybe not completely, but enough to where she was smiling genuinely towards the king now. And Xander... well, Clyde knew him well enough to know that he truly did care for the princess, even though they'd had quite a few disagreements so far, and most likely would experience many more. He couldn't wait to stand by them and watch the two of them grow. After all, they were still young.

Clyde shook his head slightly, trying to clear his head of any thoughts so he could watch the two without interruption. He was curious to see if Xander would end this dance properly however. The adviser knew the king had a few tricks up his sleeves. He'd seen him dance many times after all, and Clyde knew how much he liked to entertain his guests.

The song seemed to be nearing its end, and Evangeline looked curiously towards Xander, arching an eyebrow.

"If you plan on twirling me around as a finale, do it quickly. I don't want to flash everyone here." She mumbled with an edge of embarrassment in her tone. As far as Evangeline was concerned, being horrendously embarrassed in front of her guests was one thing she would not like to happen. Knowing Xander so far, she knew how much he liked to keep up appearances.

Evangeline just hoped he wouldn't overdo it.

Xander could tell that his future Queen was at least mildly perturbed by his rather emotionally distant reasoning for his stepping in, and likely more than she showed. Deep down, he truly cared for her, but it would take a while for him to warm up to her and thus be able to show that care very well, especially considering how cold she could be twoards him, no pun intended. He tried his best to hide his slight guilt that he had said what he said as, while a large part of him meant it, the other parts of him did not, especially the gentler part of him that had been greatly supressed by the stress and demands being a king placed upon his shoulders.

Thankfully, Evangeline'demeanoror did a virtual 180 degree turn as he accepted her challenge. Being a rather competitive sort and relishing the chance to put the snarky ice princess in her place in a constructive way, he led her to the dance floor. He tried not to be too distracted by her cool, smooth skin under his hand as they took a position on the dance floor. He met her eyes and then ended up trailing his gaze down her body discreetly. Now that he got such an up-close-and-personal look at her dress, he began to truly realize just how stunning it made her look, a pang of guilt hitting his chest fro acting so indifferent towards it back at the castle. This made him think of something, admit something in his mind. He was certainly attracted to her, rather a lot, in a physical way at least. However, he could not say he loved her, only that he lusted for her... for now, at least. Love would take time to bloom, if it was ever to happen.

As the pair began moving with all eyes in the room watching them, all these thoughts faded away and focusing on her was not only easy, it was impossible not to. The silence of the room except for the music made it even easier to simply smile back at her as he moved carefully yet boldly along with her, really getting into the groove of things after a short while. He built up the pace and momentum over time.

Suddenly, to Xander's great surprise, Evangeline leaned closer and complimented him. her words caused a slight sting to his pride, but he had to admit that he really was trying to impress her. A very slight blush spread across his cheeks as he thought about this. "Just dance," he said in an exasperated tone. He had allowed himself to get flustered around her, which frustrated him a little. However, as the song neared its end, this frustration was wiped away as a grin spread on his face. He could end this with a bang, sweep her off of her feet, in a literal and physical way and least, and perhaps fluster her in the process. His grin dropped, however, when Evangeline somehow guessed exactly what he was going to do and said just as much. Xander looked a little displeased, but nodded. Keeping up appearances was important to him, and he had to admit that a more dignified ending to their performance was desirable.

When the time came, Xander grinned once more as he deftly and carefully lifted Evangeline with far more grace than one would expect of such a strong, burly man, one arm gently wrapped around her lower back and the other under her thighs. He barely managed to catch the bottom of her skirt under his arm, and his grin widened, realizing he could hold it down and keep evangeline's dignity intact while going all the way. he whirled around gracefully in a full circle, coming to a stop leaning over Evangeline, the elf herself bent slightly backwards in a graceful pose. Thier faces were very close to one another, and in the heat of the moment caused by the jovial energy of that dance, he had half a mind to kiss her. He did not however, letting her down and standing up straight again as guests clapped and cheered all around them.

"How was that for a dance?" Xander whispered teasingly to Evangeline.

The night wore on, and after that dance, the positive energy of earlier that evening had returned to the party. However, Xander had a feeling of dread in the back of his mind that kept building even as he greeted guests, danced even more with Evangeline, and generally engaged in pleasantries. As the guests were leaving and Xander led Evangline back to the carriage, the feeling of dread amplified. "Clyde..." he whispered to his advisor as the three of them got into the carriage. "I'm having uneasy feelings again." He locked eyes with his advisor seriously. Clyde would know that shortly after every episode of these bad gut feelings Xander had, something very unfortunate happened. Xander worriedly stared out the windows, expecting any calamity possible to ruin this so far mostly very good night.

Last edited:
"Just dance."

Xander's words caused a sly smile to appear on Evangeline's face, but only for a moment before it disappeared and the princess refocused her attention on their dance. She glanced towards his face and caught sight of a grin beginning to spread across his mouth. Evangeline couldn't tell if this made her uneasy or just suspicious. The princess knew he liked to keep up appearances. She just hoped he wouldn't somehow get overly proud of himself and mess up.

That didn't seem to be the case the second Evangeline was swept up into his arms, twirling her around the room gracefully. She almost let out a sigh of relief, grateful the king picked her up properly. She looked up, her eyes settling on his face. Everything was a blur of color around them except for his figure. It felt like it was just the two of them in that moment. As he stopped his spinning and dipped her low towards the floor, Evangeline extended her leg outwards in an elegant pose, locking gazes with him. Their faces were obscenely close. Only a small space separated the two.

Cheers and applause erupted around them in an instant, their guests thoroughly entertained after seeing the king and his fiancee dance for the first time.

"How was that for dance?" Evangeline heard Xander say teasingly. She simply rolled her eyes and scoffed slightly.

"Honestly, could you be any more of a show-off?" She mumbled in response, happy to be back on her feet.

The party continued for a few more hours or so. Everyone seemed to forget about the incident that had happened earlier and returned to enjoying themselves. After some time had passed, things began to finally come to a close once guests started to make their way out of the ballroom. Evangeline let out a small sigh, following Clyde and Xander towards the carriage. It had been a lovely evening surprisingly, but she was glad it was over. She stepped inside, taking a seat. Clyde strayed behind the princess, listening to Xander and seeing the concern on his face. The adviser nodded gravely.

"I'll double the guards on patrol tonight. Don't worry, your Majesty. I'll keep the both of you safe." Clyde kept his voice low, flashing the king a reassuring smile before climbing into the carriage after him.

The trip back to the castle was short and somewhat quiet. Evangeline seemed to be too tired to make conversation, and simply found herself gazing out the window until they'd arrived. The carriage stopped in front of the main stairs leading inside. They were immediately greeted by servants and guardsmen the moment they exited the carriage. The three were escorted inside until eventually it was time for them to split up for the evening. They stopped at Evangeline's door first.

"It was lovely spending time with you this evening, my lady." Clyde bowed respectively to the princess, who smiled and curtsied back in return.

"Likewise, Clyde. Thank you for being so helpful today." She murmured with a small smile. The royal adviser smiled at her words and nodded to the both of them.

"I'll be seeing the both of you in the morning. I hope you two sleep well." Clyde began to walk away, passing Xander and subtly elbowing him in the ribcage, flashing him a warning glance that said:

"Don't say something you'll regret"

He disappeared down the hallway after that, leaving the two royals alone. Evangeline glanced towards Xander, letting out a small sigh.

"I should be going to bed now. Thanks for being there for me... you know, during the party." The princess muttered, crossing her arms over her chest and averting her gaze stubbornly, clearly flustered. A slight blush was apparent on her pale face. When she glanced back and saw his expression, Evangeline frowned deeply and placed her hands on her hips, her face only brightening in color.

"D-Don't give me that smug look! It's not like I asked you to protect me anyways! I-I'm more than capable of doing it myself!" She exclaimed, slowly backing away into her room. The princess glared at him, pointing a shaky finger in his direction.

"A-And if you think I'm going to be nice to you from now on because of it, you're wrong."

What in the world are you DOING?! Slam the door and be done with him! You're just embarrassing yourself!

Evangeline swallowed hard and clenched her eyes shut, balling her hands into fists.

"I'MGOINGTOBEDNOWGOODNIGHT!" She suddenly burst out loudly, slamming the door in his face. The princess was breathing heavily, her heart beating fast as she placed a hand over her chest to calm herself. She had never felt so embarrassed in her life.

You stupid king... She thought irritably as she managed to recompose herself, glaring at the door and slowly turning towards her bed. Evangeline changed into her night gown and approached the bed, pulling the covers back and sliding in underneath them. She stared at the glass vase next to her bed for a moment, the thought of Xander and the embarrassing scene from earlier randomly popping into her head. Evangeline buried her face into the pillows instantly, yanking the covers over her head.

What am I doing...

The princess fell asleep not too long after that, unaware of the impending danger just outside her window...

Last edited:
Xander chuckled slightly at Evangeline's haughty response to his teasy question, grinning. "Perhaps I could. Would you like that? You almost seemed to be very pleased at the end of the dance there." Xander of course did not mention that he had been impressed with her grace as well Ther fewer people that believed that dancing with a potential lover showed how compatible the pair of you are. Xander didn't really believe that but, he did mentally admit that he enjoyed dancing with Evangeline, though he'd never admit it to her nor anyone else. After he grew bored of teasing her, Xander simply enjoyed the rest of the party, quite a bit more than he thought he would at first.

Xander nodded at Clyde's reassurance after the party was (finally) over, his expression still worried but relaxing just slightly at Clyde's words and smile. "Thank you. I can always count on you, Clyde."

The rest of the ride was quiet indeed, Xander also being too tired to strike up conversation.

Xander found himself smiling as they stopped by Evangeline's door and Clyde exchanged a rather pleasant short conversation with her. Perhaps he'd be able to rely on Clyde (like he did for many other things, admittedly) to smooth things over should the two have a major argument, but likely not too many times. Xander was pleased with Evangeline seeming to have warmed up to him a little bit more, perhaps as a result of his genuine concern for her earlier, and maybe the dance as well.

Despite this, about the last thing Xander was expecting was what she said after he looked to her and nodded, saying "that was quite a pleasant evening, I will admit." She... thanked him?! Who was this woman and what did she do with Evangeline?! Xander found himself grinning. "You are very welcome, my dear." Xander supposed that she really did have a pleasant side, but perhaps like himself earlier, she was trying to hide it from him for about the same reason he was. It was rather cute how she accidentally let it slip here, if surprising as well.

He raised an eyebrow as she continued her outburst, his smirk only widening as he actually chuckled a little. He rolled his eyes as she said that this didn't mean she'd be nice to him. "Somehow, I'm not inclined to believe that... you just said a very nice thing to me indeed." He chuckled some more as she yelled at him and slammed the door. She was fairly cute when flustered, he had to admit. "Goodnight, my dear," he called through the door in a pleasant tone, just to tick her off a tad more. He had a feeling that she'd be nicer to him anyway, no matter how much snark he used on her,since he had let his much kinder side out for her at certain parts of the evening. He had no intention of showing that side of himself uless Evangeline seemed to need it however, like she had this evening. he truly did care for her, and he brought himself to show it when he needed to most, which was good... but his pride was still in the way of truly bonding with her, likely quite similar to Evangeline's mental situation.

Xander walked away calmly and headed to his chambers, getting ready for bed with his usual routine. However, He found himself sitting by the window and looking out of it it instead of sleeping for the next few hours, paranoid that something amy happen. He swore he caught a glanc of a figure in the shadows, and not cring if he could just be seeing things or not, foundhimself bolting out of his room and to his relief, causing a nearby guard to halt his patrol an dask "is something wrong, your majest?" "Yes there's something wrong! You lot aren't doing your job! I swore I saw someone sneaking through the grounds. Gather up your men andsearch that area like your lives depend on it, becasue they just. Might." Xander glared menacingly, and the guard swallowed. "Yes, sir!" The guard chimed fearfulyly before rushing down.

To Xander's relief, he saw a mass of guards down in the grounds moments later, and decided to try and get some sleep. He was worried... he swore he saw the figure heading towrds Evangeline's room. "Pah! I'm worried about her... pathetic." he cahstised himself. Yet, he knew he had many reasons to be worried. Aside from the genuine affection he harboredfor her deep down, if something were to happen to hre before they even got married, the Ice Kingdom would cut ties with the Fire Kingdom promptly, effectively dooming both nations. He really hoped Evangeline was okay...

It was a quiet night.

The air was cold and unrelenting, small gusts of icy winds blowing past the trees and picking up a few stray leaves along the way. Only the sounds of guardsmen patrolling around the castle were apparent now, their heavy boots stomping across the ground carelessly. A pair of eyes watched from the underbrush outside of the grand establishment, watching the four guards posted outside the gates silently before moving back into the shadows.

"The king is being paranoid again, eh?"

"Guess so. I don't blame him though. The Dark Kingdom don't like to mess around." Two of the guards were chatting with one another.

"They're just a bunch of horned freaks. The king has nothing to worry about." One chuckled boastfully, focusing his gaze in front of him with a grin. He heard a noise off to his right, and turned towards the spot where the other two guardsmen where posted. When he saw that they were no longer there, the guard nudged his fellow comrade standing next to him.

"Hey, where'd the other two go? I swore I just saw them standing there a second ago."

It was silent.

He whipped towards the left when he received no response, finding that he was alone. The guard's eyes widened in an instant, looking around frantically. Before he even had time to call out for help or retreat behind the gate, he caught sight of a figure moving through the darkness at lightning speed, barely visible as it leaped out from the shadows.

He saw a pair of red eyes flash before him, and then everything went black.

With a hand over his mouth, the cloaked figure quickly slit the guard's throat, darkness immediately surrounding his lifeless corpse and evaporating it into a subtle black smoke that disappeared quickly into the cold air. Not a drop of blood was left behind. Ducking within the shadows once more, it silently moved towards the gate, its body shifting into a plume of wispy smoke that slithered past the golden bars and snuck through the outskirts of the courtyard. Without alarming a single guardsmen, the figure's body reformed into a human shape and hid away from the light of the moon, crouched low near the side of the castle. It looked up, searching for its destination and slinking away.

The night air seeped through Evangeline's room as the latch guarding the glass window was slowly lifted, unlocking it. It was pushed open, the curtains fluttering gracefully in the weak breeze. A dark figure was crouched there on all fours, its eyes watching the princess as she slept peacefully. It climbed inside, sneaking across her room silently. A hand was suddenly extended from outside of its cloak, palm facing upwards. With a small flick of its wrist, a glowing purple fire appeared, licking its hand hungrily in the darkness. Oddly enough, the flame created no light. Instead, it danced inside the darkness.

In an instant, Evangeline's room was caught ablaze with the strange fire, the figure casting one more glance towards the sleeping princess before disappearing into thin air, a trail of smoke the only thing remaining. The fire spread quickly and viciously, and soon the princess awoke, the harsh smoke filling her lungs with every inhale. She coughed violently and rolled out of bed in a panic, watching with fearful eyes as the purple fire began to ignite everything around it. Evangeline tried her best to move away, but with every exhale, she felt herself grow weaker. Something wasn't right about this smoke. It felt like she was breathing in pure poison.

Her knees buckled from underneath her and she collapsed in the middle of the room, her door enveloped in flames and preventing her escape. Evangeline attempted using her magic, but it fizzled out in her hand. Blackness began to swirl into her vision.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

Her eyes fluttered closed slowly, now laying unconscious on the floor as the fire began making its way towards her, minutes away from consuming her entire room.

With a small click, Xander's door was locked from the inside. The smoky figure that had once appeared in Evangeline's room was now in the king's room, waiting patiently in the shadows for him to wake up and hear of the news, only to find himself unable to escape. He would wake up soon after hearing the commotion from outside.

A fist pounded on the door.

"XANDER! XANDER, ARE YOU ALRIGHT!?" It was Clyde's voice, his tone filled with panic.

"Evangeline's room is on fire! You need to wake up. And unlock this door!" He boomed through the door, twisting violently at the doorknob, but to no avail. As soon as the king was on his feet and awake, the figure stepped out from behind him silently, holding a sword to his throat.

"Move or say a word and the princess dies." It whispered into his ear, pressing the sharp blade tighter against his skin.

"Xander! Answer me!" Clyde yelled again, banging loudly on the door and wiggling the doorknob. The dark figure glanced at the door, and than back to the king, waiting to see what he would do.

Last edited:
Xander sleepily opened his eyes, subsequently sitting bolt upright.

Something was very, very wrong. An ominous air permeated the room... and he swore he smelled smoke upon sniffing the air.

Xander shakily turned his head towards the window and looked out of it, trying to see what his good-for-nothing guards were up to while the castle might be burning.... only to not see them at all. Where were the guards he posted out there?! He'd made sure they were there before he went to sleep! Xander began to rise as quickly as he could, throwing the covers off and getting into his slippers and robe. That was when he heard Clyde's voice, and was just about to call out before he felt a presence behind him, than not even a second later, the telltale coldness of steel against his throat.

Xander froze, standing stock still... had this man set Evangeline's room on fire? Then how did he expect not to kill her whether Xander spoke, moved or did neither? Xander truly hoped that he'd be able to ensure Evangeline's safety... for the first time, he felt himself afraid for her life. 'I really do care about that naughty little elf, don't I?' he thought self-mockingly.

Afraid for his own life (as well as Evangelines, though he wouldn't admit it), he stood stock still, for now, frozen and breathing erratically. There was a sword on the wall next to his bed, which he tried not to look towards in order not to lethis plan be known, but if this man gave him even a split moment of leeway, he might be able to grab it.

Last edited:
The assassin felt the king freeze as soon as he appeared behind him, the sharp edge of the blade still pressed tightly against the delicate skin of his throat. He could feel his fear, for both the princess and himself. The royal adviser continued to call for Xander outside the door, unaware of the second presence within the king's bedroom. Leaning slightly more towards Xander's ear, he began to speak.

"I'm here for a negotiation," the assassin spoke in a low tone as to not alert Clyde or anyone else for that matter. He kept the sword at his throat, never moving it.

"Disagree to my terms, and I will end your life and your fiancee's right now. It's your choice."

The assassin paused before speaking again, glancing towards the king's face and seeing the fear in his eyes. It delighted him greatly but he didn't let himself show it.

"Tomorrow afternoon you will be visited by the High Priest from the Ministry of Priesthood. I want you to strip him of his rank without question and appoint a priest named Aristes Naveen. You will do this without further input from your adviser or anyone else for that matter." He told him quietly.

"Nod if you agree."

Once the king had nodded, the assassin smirked in despite of himself, the amused look concealed behind his mask.

"Good. Now, after that is done, I need you to send an invitational letter to the Water Kingdom and insist that they stay here at the castle for three days exactly. On the day that they leave, tell them that you no longer wish to be allied with them." He could tell the king was uneasy now. The assassin continued to hold the sword against his skin.

"In return, the Dark Kingdom will leave your kingdom be and you will no longer have to worry about our soldiers ever setting foot in your country again. However, if anyone ever asks, you must tell them that you are allied with us and deal with the consequences." His voice became slightly more wicked now.

"If you do not comply to my side of the negotiation or even speak of our little meeting to another, remember that we are watching and listening closely. People dear to you will die, and your kingdom will fall." He moved a little closer to him.

"Do I make myself clear?"

After the king had agreed silently and the assassin could confirm it, he began to loosen his grip on the sword ever so slightly.

"You made the right choice. I'll be watching." He murmured softly. The assassin suddenly disappeared into a plume of smoke and he was nowhere to be found. The door to Xander's bedroom immediately unlocked and Clyde burst inside, his eyes frantic and breath rapid. When he saw that the king was just standing there, a look of confusion appeared on the adviser's face.

"Xander, what's going on? What are you doing?" He demanded, walking towards him. The adviser gently grabbed him by the shoulders with a stern expression.

"Was someone in here with you?" He asked quietly. Suddenly, the sounds of footsteps could be heard stomping down the hallway behind them, and two guards appeared at the doorway, saluting them before speaking.

"Sir, we've managed to rescue the princess from her room. She's unconscious but still alive. The fire mysteriously disappeared only moments ago." One of them explained quickly, out of breath from sprinting all the way through the castle. Clyde arched an eyebrow.

"The fire is gone?"

"Yes, sir."

Clyde looked down towards the floor in thought, trying to make sense of this mess. He turned to the king.

"Your Majesty, what are your orders?"

Last edited:
Xander grimaced in anger and frustration at every one of his assailant's words, the expression only growing stonger word by word. His demands were ridiculous, absolutely sickening. Xander felt that, if this man was darkness, he should not be trusted. So, Xander steeled himself to lie if it was necessary to get out of this mess. From the outset, he intended to ignore the man's demands, at least in the long-term, but found himself wavering more and more as he went on.

First, the assassin demanded the replacement of a priest. This was the moment that Xandeimmediatelyly thought to himself that he aboslutely would not comply. If this man was working for Darkness, which Xander assumed he had to be, replacing his priest with who this man desired could allow them to destroy his country from the inside without Xander knowing until it was far too late. The head preistwas given some power of his own, after all.

Then came the demand reagrding the Water kingdom. He didn't like them much, so this one honestly did not bother him, and he had no obligation to them unlike ice. So, this demand was a little more sotmachable... and then came the words that made this a choice to Xander: the assassin's promise to call off the forces from the fire kingdom if Xander complied, coupled with hte threat of what would happen if he did not. This was quite the dilemma, as even if this was true, trusting an assassin from the darkness kingdom was... unwise. However, he highly doubted that they were lying about what they would do if he did not comply. That left the question of what was keeping them from doing it if he did indeed comply. His toughts were quickly becoming a jumbled mess or reasons for both going along with all this and doing just the opposite.

Regardless of what he did about all of this in the future (which he would have to think long and hard about), his actions in this particular moment seemed veyr clear: agree with the assassin comepletely. Whether this agreeance was honest or not remained to be seen. He nodded every time the assassin asked a question, in the end agreeing silently one more time before the man finally let him go and quickly and subsequently disappeared.

A moment later, a shocked and stunned Xander barely registered Clyde barging in and shaking his shoulders. Xander could not find the words to respond to his advisor's onslaught of questions, due noth to being in a daze and to not knowing whether he would keep the assassin's audience with him a secret or not.

"I-I..." was the only semblance of an answer he was able to give Clyde before the guards barged in, interrupting the men (to Xander's secret relief). He was further releived when he heard that the flames were gone and Evangeline was alive, but a downcast look entered his eyes a moment later. He knew the assassin would've burned her alive if Xander didn't comply... though was he truly going to comply? There was also the trouble that the rogue had been a fire wielder... there was too much to think about and Xander now had quite the splitting headache.

Thankfully, Clyde decided to drop his earlier questions (for now, at least) and ask what his oders were. 'Get her to her room with my nurse on standby, and made damn sure that no fiend lingers here. Also... allow me to see her, cofirm she is alright with my own eyes." The guards nodded and took off. "I... would appreciate it if you left me time tot think, Clyde... I am still coming to terms with this attack. I promise, I will tell you all I witnessed later." The question was whether to lie to him or not... Xander hoped he had a definitive answer soon. For now, he went to Evangeline's room and waited for the guards to bring her, to see her for himself.

Last edited:
Just by the look on Xander's face and the way he acted, Clyde could tell something was wrong. However instead of interrupting, the adviser stood by quietly while the king gave his orders to the two guards. With a stern nod, the two men left quickly, returning back to the princess' burnt room to pass his words along to the others. Once they had left, Clyde was surprised as Xander spoke. He didn't quite understand, but figured it was important in some way. The adviser was quiet for a moment, shaking his head to clear his mind before following after the king to see Evangeline.

One of the guardsmen was just stepping out of the destroyed bedroom as Xander and Clyde approached, an unconscious Evangeline cradled in his arms. Her pale skin was streaked with ash, the smell of smoke apparent on her body. Every weak breath she exhaled came out hoarsely. Apart from a small burn on her ankle, the princess seemed to be okay.

"Don't worry, your Majesty. We'll have the nurse take a look at her. Let's get Evangeline to her new room, shall we?" Clyde reassured the king, motioning for the guard to follow him as he began to lead the two away. He opened the door and stepped aside so the guard could walk past, placing the princess delicately on the bed. The nurse was already waiting for them there and got to work as soon as the princess was set down. She wiped a wet cloth across Evangeline's skin, cleaning away the grey ash.

"Stay here with her. I need to speak with the guardsmen for a moment." Clyde nodded at Xander and dismissed himself, exiting the room. The nurse continued to tend to the princess, casting a glance back at the king and smiling slightly.

"She'll be okay, your Majesty. Just needs to rest is all." She said reassuringly. While the nurse turned away from the princess to dip the dirty cloth back into the bowl of fresh water, Evangeline suddenly began to stir. She groaned softly, her eyes fluttering open and staring up at the ceiling.

"Am I dead?" Evangeline whispered, her vision hazy. The nurse frowned worriedly and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You're alright, my dear. You're safe now."

The princess turned towards her slightly at the sound of the unfamiliar voice. She saw another figure near by, and looked surprised to see that it was Xander.

"Xander?" She murmured, her voice raspy. Evangeline suddenly burst into a coughing fit before he could even acknowledge her presence. When she managed to calm down a bit, her eyes returned to staring up at the ceiling.

"W...What happened?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back