• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Tale of Fire and Ice: An Unexpected Engagement

After those painful words had finally finished spilling out of Evangeline's mouth, the princess continued to cry on the floor, the only audible sound in the expansive room being her sobs and sniffles. Xander was undeniably quiet, and at first she assumed he had agreed to her request, choosing to leave the woman alone before him. But once she heard his footsteps beginning to approach her, Evangeline quickly realized that wasn't the case. It took her a moment to fully understand what was going on. She hadn't even realized Xander was standing next to her until he began to speak to her. His tone was soft, caring, and sympathetic, all of it completely genuine.

Evangeline slowly stopped her crying and managed to finally pull her hands away from her face, glancing up at him in shock. Her big blue eyes were gleaming with tears, face wet and twisted into a sorrowful and helpless expression that likely pained Xander to see. This was the first time the king had seen her in such a vulnerable state, besides that one time at the ball, but this was much different.

She could hardly believe the words that were coming out of his mouth, let alone the emotional look on his face. Was this really the Xander she'd met only a few days ago? The princess found herself listening in a state of utter disbelief. As he continued, tears began to well in her eyes once more, streaming down her cheeks.

"Xander..." Evangeline spoke softly, her tone heartfelt and apologetic.

"I'm so sorry I ever doubted you. I-I really had no idea you felt this way. It was so hard to figure out if you were being truthful or not, but I guess the same goes for me as well," she whispered, finally managing to look at up and lock gazes with him.

"What I'm trying to say is.... I-I want to work through this with you. I want to make this marriage work and I want to fall in love with you," She found herself surprised at her own words, a light blush tinting her cheeks, but she continued anyways.

"I want to stand by you and support you as your wife, if you'll allow me." As those words left her mouth, a warm smile spread across her lips, tears continuing to slip down her cheeks despite this. Evangeline's body was still shaking heavily with emotion. It was becoming apparent to her that she probably wouldn't be able to stand without Xander's help.

"I forgive you, Xander. Can... we start over?" Evangeline asked quietly. She suddenly blinked rapidly and looked down at herself, noticing she was still sitting on the floor. The princess grinned sheepishly and rubbed the back of her head.

"Also... could you help me up? I don't think I can stand." She admitted with an edge of embarrassment in her voice.

DergTheDergon DergTheDergon

Xander met her eyes with an expression of pure passion that likely shocked her as much as her own expression pained him. He couldn't help but feel like he had done this to her, made her break down like this... which was why he was finally coming out with these feelings of his, these genuine feelings, despite his pride, and his fear that Evangeline wouldn't accept such feelings from him.

Xander was honestly shocked himself at her heartfelt tone in speaking his name, surprised that his words, even though they were spoken from as deep within his heart as they were, reached her so deeply. Her subsequent, heartfelt words casued his heart to melt. 'I could really love this woman... and she... I think she could love me too...' he found himself thinking. It felt as though all of the distance, all of the pettiness, all of the stubbornness was bound to give way to this... this understanding, this honesty, this mutual desire to make their marriage work.

As she finally met his eyes, his loving, sympathetic gaze only gained intensity. He hung on her every word, tears welling in his own eyes. He had never cried in front of her before, but to hear Evangeline say what she was saying... it made him much happier than he ever thought he could be with her.... so happy that tears of joy started to form and fall down his face. "This marriage really could work', he found himself thinking.

Xander was at a loss for words the entire time, the tears spilling from his eyes faster when she said she wanted to make the marriage work, that she wanted to fall in love with him. "Evangeline...." he whispered, after a slight delay once her heartfelt speech was over. He couldn't help but smile back. "Yes. We can start over. We have to start over. I'll allow you to support me if... you do the same."

Xander wiped the tears from his eyes, having half a mind to tell her not to tell anyone before his mind countered with 'why would she tell anyone? Her spite is gone now... just like yours.' Xander smiled even more at that thought. "Of course," he said as she asked if he could help her up. He stooped down and took both her hands in his, gently pulling to help her stand. "We should get some rest soon.... tomorrow, we must.... you know what we must do. And I apologize that we have to betray your old friends like that.... I honestly really do wish there was another way... Just.... please, no more flirting with Zen, alright?" His request was spoken gently, pleadingly, not forcefully at all.

A slight blush then spread across his face. "Before we head to bed.... is it alright if I hug you? Even... kiss you? I understand if you don't want me to touch you after what happened at dinner, but... I want to truly show you my affection, not do these things just to keep up appearances anymore."

Whatever Evangeline's answer, Xander would act accordingly and understandingly if need be, before saying "come on, let's go to bed.... and perhaps... we should face each other? The more we do things couples do.... perhaps the more fond we'll feel of each other."

The Velveteen Rabbit The Velveteen Rabbit

As soon as their gazes seemed to lock with one another, the princess couldn't help but freeze where she sat. The amount of passion and intensity visible in Xander's eyes was enough to bring a dumbfounded expression to Evangeline's tearful face, the princess suddenly becoming full aware of how much her words had touched the king. It was like he was a completely different person. Just like the night of the ball, it was one of those rare moments where Xander seemed to let himself go, and in this case as he began to cry in front of her, it seemed he no longer cared how much he showed it.

Evangeline's gaze suddenly began to soften and its usual iciness was no longer apparent as Xander smiled back at her. Since the day she had arrived, the princess had felt nothing but bitterness for the man before her. But now, after seeing such genuine emotion pour out of him, her view of him had changed drastically in a single night. Evangeline could finally admit that she was wrong about him all this time.

As he agreed with her words and finally leaned down to help her up, the princess allowed him to take both of her hands into his and rose to a standing position in front of him, finding herself gazing towards him with a small smile. However at the mention of the next day and the events that followed, that smile seemed to vanish and was replaced by a subtle frown. Evangeline let out a sigh and nodded, closing her eyes briefly as she tried to push away the fearful thoughts bombarding her mind.

"Yes... tomorrow will be a difficult day for me. I have no idea how they will react, and to be completely honest, I fear for the worst." Evangeline admitted softly, finding herself glancing down towards the ground in a slightly nervous gesture. The princess suddenly began to shift restlessly from foot to foot, finally managing to lock gazes with him once more.

"A-And... I promise not to flirt with Zen any longer. It was highly inappropriate of me." She whispered with an edge of embarrassment in her voice. Evangeline knew Xander had noticed how obvious it was, but now that she no longer felt such bitterness towards him, she couldn't help but feel guilty for the way she was acting around the prince. The princess felt much better knowing that he forgave her though. Evangeline's thoughts were suddenly whisked away as the sight of a blush appeared on Xander's face. His next words caused her eyes to widen in shock, followed by a small moment of silence that passed between them as the princess struggled to find her words. It was her turn to blush now. The snowy skin of her cheeks suddenly turned a light pink as she lowered her gaze to the floor, shifting restlessly from foot to foot.

"You may do both if you wish..." Evangeline murmured, feeling a small spark of warmth spread through her chest after her spoken words. She glanced back to him almost expectantly now, eyes watching to see what he would do next. It was such a strange phenomenon going from disliking a person to suddenly admiring them. The princess couldn't describe the feeling properly.

She wondered if he felt the same.

Xander felt surprised at first as he saw the expression of Evangeline’s face, but his eyes only conveyed a small amount of his bewilderment behind the genuine affection he felt, and had kept bottled up all this time. Looking into evangeline’s eyes as she smiled, seeming to forgive him for all he had done right then and there just by the look on her face, he was taken aback; Shocked by how readily she accepted his genuine words after so much loveless acting and behind-the-scenes animosity between the pair ever since Evangeline had arrived.

As she finally brought herself to speak up, Xander nodded solemnly, the air between them growing heavy. It was a familiar feeling, yet different this time, almost in a good way, as the heaviness was not due to animosity but dread towards something the pair would have to face together. Xander laid a hand upon her shoulder comfortingly, locking gazes with her symmpathetically.

His tone was soft, and as comforting as he could make it, as he then spoke. “It will admittedly be hard for me as well, though nowhere near your misgivings I imagine…. The water kingdom has been very amiable for quite some tiime, and has done nothing to hurt my people… in fact, arguably, they are one of this kingdom’s greatest assets… I feel heartless when I think about it… but we will find a way to break free of the Shadow Kingdom’s clutches, and afterward… well, I can only hope that the water kingdom will accept my apology. With your weight behind it, I’m a bit more confident we can restore peace with them eventually.”

He smiled, just briefly, before listening to her next comment, then smiling a bit more as he felt warmth in his chest. “You are forgiven. Now that I’ve had time to think about it, I feel that you were justified in those actions seeing as I have treated you like dirt thus far compared to how kind the Prince has been to you.”

He fell silent for just a moment, then brought himself to ask if he could kiss her. Her response both bewildered and excited him, his heart beginning to beat faster as he blushed even deeper than before. She almost seemed to be… expecting him to do it now.

Before he even knew it, Xander had moved his arms gently from her shoulders to around her back, leaned in towards her, tilting his head, and planted his lips to hers. He felt a wave of relief wash over him, as if his entire being was waiting for this kiss for a while now. And truthfully, it was. A kiss like this, mind you, not the kind of kiss he gave her at dinner, a kiss steeped in manipulative intention and dishonesty.

After a moment, he parted lips with her and looked into her eyes for a moment, the look in his eyes the most affectionate she’s ever seen from him. Then, he embraced her gently, deciding to go ahead and do both as she seemed to expect. “Try to rest well, love… we’ve quite the day ahead of us. For what it’s worth…. I will help you through it as best I can.” He then let her go and stepped back, feeling a bit reluctant about it, and began to climb into bed, patting her side of it to join him. “I’ll say it now, though, I apologize but I will not be allowing you to drink until this has passed. I will not drink myself either, we’ll need clear minds at all times for quite a while.”

As Evangeline climbed into bed and they both got comfortable, he met eyes with her again, smiling just slightly, his gaze warm. “Goodnight, Evangelline,” he said in a warm tone that conveyed his affection for her.

Needless to say, both of them had quite a bit of trouble sleeping that night, but Xander did manage to get three or four hours in at least. The next morning, Xander was stirred awake by a knocking at his door, accompanied by the familiar voices of his maids saying they’d brought the morning tea. Xander found himself smiling, for just a moment, as he anticipated the maids' reactions to the likely far calmer air between himself and Evangeline that they now likely exuded. He was aware that they both really wanted himself adn Evangeline to get along, and that they’d be delighted if they knew about the heartfelt words, kiss and embrace the pair had shared the prior evening. Xander got out of bed, robe still on, and invited the two of them in, but not before saying good morning to Evangeline, waking her up if need be.

This was a start of a new life for the two of them, he decided. No longer would their relationship be marked by distance and dishonesty. He had a second chance to give both Evangeline and his people the royal marriage they all were hoping for, and had a feeling that it would be much easier than he initially thought. The pair would face much hardship in the coming days, and Xander hoped that their newfound sense of affection and understanding would last through it all. No matter what happened, he would try his absolute best to be the most wonderful husband he could possibly be for Evangline, as well as the king his people needed. It would be difficult, but it had to be done.

Last edited:
For the first time since they had met, the two royals did not resort to petty quarrels and arrogance, fueling each others tempers with mindless arguments and snarky comments. Instead, the air had grown quite light and comfortable as they stood there, facing one another. Despite the lovely smile brimming across her pale cheeks, Evangeline could still feel herself frozen in shock of how much Xander had changed in so little time. Was this really the king she had met only a few nights ago? It was hardly believable, but as Xander continued to face her, his sharpened features softened and expression loving, Evangeline felt her heart began to race inside of her chest. Here they were, two prideful and stubborn royals standing together, acting so vulnerable in front of each other. It really was a beautiful and rare sight to behold.

As Xander laid his hand upon her shoulder, Evangeline tensed for a brief moment before relaxing visibly underneath his warm touch. Although it was just a simple gesture, the feeling of his palm resting there felt so enjoyable and soft. She found herself surprised at how much she didn't want him to remove it. Evangeline listened to him speak of their final meeting with the Water Kingdom royals, her brows furrowing into a small frown and lips pursed at the thought. Oh, how much she was going to dread that meeting.

Evangeline seemed reluctant, but agreed with a sorrowful nod, letting out a gentle sigh.

"It almost feels like a betrayal. My family and theirs have been so close with one another for so long, we're like family. I can only imagine what my grandfather will say once he hears of this news," she chuckled quietly, however her expression was quite worrisome. Evangeline glanced up at Xander with her big blue eyes, her features suddenly darkening as she finally seemed to accept what was to come.

"But, this is what we must do, I know that now. Whatever happens, I know that we can get through it." She murmured with a more confident tone now. Deep down, Evangeline knew that the outcome of this meeting would spark anger and confusion through the hearts of her people, and she was prepared to deal with that accordingly with Xander by her side.

Suddenly, all of her worries and sorrowful thoughts were whisked away as the king began to close the gap between them, his hands trailing down from her shoulders to her waist and back. Evangeline felt her face begin to heat up, a rosy coloration spreading across her pale cheeks as her eyes met his. Her gaze softened, watching him lean closer and tilt his head slightly. Her heart felt as if it would break out of her chest in that very moment. Xander could probably feel how fast it was beating as they stood there. His lips met hers, arms still wrapped around her and body pressed against hers. Evangeline felt her eyes widen in surprise at how warm and affection this kiss was. It was nothing like the malicious and vindictive kiss from before. It was loving and gentle, and the princess gave into it, her eyes slowly fluttering shut as she relaxed and leaned into the kiss a bit more.

When he finally broke away, Xander gazed towards the princess with such a look of affection that it made Evangeline's blush darken in color, if that was even possible. If someone had told her a few days prior that the two of them would be standing in a room, embracing and kissing each other, she would've said they were insane. Evangeline still couldn't believe that this was even happening to begin with.

Xander gave her one final embrace, wrapping his strong arms around her slender physique and pulling Evangeline closer to him once more. The reoccurring feeling of shock appeared as she stood there frozen in place, trying to piece together how she was feeling and why. As soon as the embrace began, it was over quite quickly, and she found herself disappointed in a way. Just what the hell was going on?

The next words Xander spoke made her shift from foot to foot, clasping her hands in front of her sheepishly.

"Th...Thank you. I appreciate you saying that."

Evangeline finally managed to recompose herself and joined him in bed, scooting over to her side. She giggled quietly and looked a bit embarrassed at the mention of their binge drinking, nodding her head in agreement while scratching the back of her head.

"I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know what it is, but I swear that wine goes straight to your head. I... apologize, for my drunk behavior recently." The princess said with a sigh, disappointed in herself for allowing that to even happen in the first place. She literally had just arrived very recently, and here she was excessively drinking. She looked a bit irritated at that thought and positioned herself into a laying position onto her side, her head resting against the pillow. Just like magic, seeing the king's smile as his eyes met hers seemed to rip away all of the negativity she was feeling. Evangeline returned his smile with one of her own, a lovely and brilliant smile that often stopped most men in their tracks.

"Goodnight, Xander. Sleep well." She whispered softly, gazing at him for just a few more moments before her eyelids fluttered close. Surprisingly, the princess did not face away from Xander that night, but instead chose to face directly towards him in a rather intimate way. It seemed their behaviors towards each other had changed drastically, and she was sure Clyde would be very shocked to see this the next day.

After experiencing so much bliss and affection that night, Evangeline found herself falling asleep rather quickly. The princess was awoken by the feeling of a person stirring beside her, lightly shaking the bed as Xander rose to a sitting position. Her eyes opened, revealing two big orbs of heavenly blue gazing up towards the familiar figure of the king. She smiled once their eyes met and rose up, propping herself up with an arm as she rubbed her eyes sleepily and yawned.

"Good morning, Xander. I hope you slept okay." Evangeline greeted him with a small smile, positioning herself near the edge of the bed beside him. It was like they were completely different people now, and oddly enough, she quite enjoyed Xander's company now.

Maybe this marriage really could work...

That thought was interrupted by a knock on the door. The twins entered shortly after carrying their morning tea, two bright smiles on their faces. They curtsied and greeted the two royals before walking inside and setting the silver tea platter onto a nearby table, pouring the steaming hot liquid into separate cups. As expected, Evangeline could tell the twins instantly noticed their changes in demeanor towards each other.

"You two seem to be in a good mood. Is there a special occasion planned for today?" Rina asked Xander curiously, glancing between them as they sat next to each other. Evangeline blushed and winced slightly, recalling the night before. Images of Xander's lips planted against hers flashed through her mind, making the blush deepen. The small maid noticed this and stared at the princess with a concerned look on her soft features.

"Are you alright, my lady? You look like you might have a fever--OUCH!" Rina let out a small yelp as Hana elbowed her in the ribs, shooting her a warning glare. Her twin sister quickly realized her mistake and it was her turn to blush now. Evangeline's face darkened drastically and she covered her face with her hands.

"I-I-I'm quite alright, thank you for your concern, Rina." Her voice was muffled as she spoke into her hands, refusing to take them away until the heat left her face.

Oh god. What am I doing? I'm acting like a teenage girl who's in love-- Evangeline felt her breath catch in her throat. Her body tensed and eyes widened.

No way. It's too soon for that. I've just never been affectionate with anyone before. That's it. It has to be.

(OMG SORRY FOR THE PAGE THAT TOOK FOREVER. I promise most of my posts won't be that long xD I'm trying to get back into the habit of writing again)

Last edited:
As Xander rested his hand upon her shoulder, he was equally surprised and relieved as she as to her lack of resistance to this gesture. In fact, she seemed to accept his touch wholly. It felt as though the moment had allowed her to accept his affections in the same way that they had allowed him to express them. He felt a warmth in his heart as he realized this, akin to nothing he’d felt before
He nodded along solemnly, a grim expression on his face, as Evangeline spoke of her trepidation surrounding the sudden need to deal quite the blow to relations between both the Fire and Ice kingdoms and the Water Kingdom, which had been mutually beneficial to both his subjects and Evangeline’s, if understandably tumultuous in his own kingdom’s case.

Evangeline’s initial reaction to the kiss he then gave her made him wonder if he should pull away early, but that notion quickly faded from his mind as she then returned the kiss with far more fervor than he’d been expecting. It seemed as though they both were full of surprises, and that was good. It would keep the marriage interesting, if it indeed lasted through this war or even close. After pulling away from such a satisfying smooch, Xander felt as though such worries were thankfully rather far away from the pair for now.

Xander nodded with a smile as she thanked him for his words, a warmth spreading through his chest yet again.

As she agreed with his restriction on alcohol, he nodded again, smiling a bit, relieved that she agreed. “As much as a rather large part of me would like to drink my stresses away, a feeling I’m certain is mutual, it is even more paramount now than before that we remain steadfast before our people. This development in our relationship, thankfully, will likely help in that regard immensely.” He smiled, his mouth feeling stretched from so much of a gesture he only now had realized he had grown quite unaccustomed to over his years as king before now.

As they settled in for the evening, that smile of hers absolutely sent the King’s heart aflutter. The only response he could muster was to continue smiling back back at her, in awe of the sher stunning beauty of that smile. He wanted to see it as much as possible, to keep her smiling in as many moments as he could muster, things being as they were. He knew that come morning, the sheer weight of their predicament would rear its ugly head again, but for now, he was riding high on the affection they both had allowed themselves to show each other tonight, the feelings that Evangeline’s returned kiss had given him coloring the world in Rose.

“Goodnight, Evangeline,” he said, his voice thick with so much saccharine warmth and affection that he was parly surprised to hear it spring from his mouth, even now. As he drifted off to sleep, smiling as he realized that Evangeline had even opted to face toward him this evening, he wondered to himself ‘Is what I’m feeling right now… love?’ He was unable to find a true answer within himself before he felt his consciousness slipping away for the night, but he knew it had to be the closest he’d ever felt to love thus far, at least.

The next morning, as Xander sat up and stretched, yawning quietly, he felt a stirring beside him. Fresh and fond memories of their heartfelt exchange the previous evening daned about his mind as he turned to regard the beautiful eyes of the woman he was beginning to certainly enjoy waking up beside, for more reasons than one now. “Good morning, Evangeline. Yes, I did. Is the same true for you?” Somehow, he had a feeling it was indeed true for her as well, the very thought of such leaving him smiling slightly out of contagious contentment. He felt as though he could read the same sort of refreshed mood from her as from him.

For the first time, Xander realized as he awoke and looked into her eyes that he was genuinely happy to wake up beside her this morning. He felt himself glowing, only to be interrupted as usual by his staff and suddenly remember the gloomy deed he’d be forced to commit today. Sighing, he sat up, and like clockwork, heard the tell-tale knock on the door that always ushered in the ever-hardworking Rina and Hana every morning.

He opened his mouth to answer Rina’s question, having also expected them to notice the lack of hostility and coloring of far sweeter emotions now in the air between them. He pondered what do say, and with Evangeline freezing up due to likely the same rememberings of the night before that had been echoing through his own head, he felt he had to say something in order to clear the air. Who knew what the twins thought were going on. He’d had them caring for him for far too long to ever think that he could deceive them, as besides, he knew they’d be delighted to learn that the two of them had grown closer.

“Ah no, RIna, nothing beyond what you both must already be aware is planned today, regarding out guests… The reason is, well… Evangeline and I have… come to an understanding. I think you’ll both be happy to know that I forsee less difficulties in us getting along in future. She is likely remembering our… talk last night” ‘Gods, I almost said kiss,’ he thought, the memory of that passionate moment burned in his mind just as much as it was burned into Evangeline’s. “I am… pleasantly surprised that we were able to reach the conclusion that we had.” On his face now was a pleasant smile the likes of which the maid twins had likely never seen him sport before, as once again he played that kiss over in his mind.

Even though he spoke those words in his usual all-business sort of tone, there was a soft edge to it that the twins would undoubtedly pick up on, not to mention a slight flush to his own cheeks and less eye contact than he normally employed. It was likely easy for the intuitive ladies to guess what had really happened from the tells both of the Royals were giving off. At least, Hana already seemed to have gotten the hint. Judging by the way she elbowed her sister, so for her, Xander’s own unusual behavior might’ve acted as a form of confirmation.

Xander then took his tea as we looked over toward Evangeline, hoping that she was able to focus on getting ready. They had quite the day ahead of them, after all. Unbeknownst to the twins, Xander would be forced to do something to their water kingdom guests that, despite the Prince’s behavior last night, he truly did not wish to do. ‘Damn those shadow snakes… we will make them pay for this,’ he thought as his mind turned toward the inevitability of what they had to do.

When the twins left, Xander went about dressing and getting ready for the morning as usual, except he found himself longing for one more kiss after last night. Sighing after both royals were as ready as they could be to face the day together, Xander found himself looking into Evangeline’s eyes before he began to escort her to the throne room as per usual. “Well… we’ve a grim task ahead of us today… Perhaps one last kiss before we go might help us face it?” The old him would’ve taken the kiss suddenly in a situation like this, however, from her earlier show of embarrassment in front of the twins, this seemed to be a subject delicately approached for now. They were both just discovering these feelings for each other, and it was a process for him in his own way.
The Velveteen Rabbit The Velveteen Rabbit (This one's rather long too, but oh well xD! Enjoy :3)

“Ah no, Rina, nothing beyond what you both must already be aware is planned today, regarding out guests… The reason is, well… Evangeline and I have… come to an understanding. I think you’ll both be happy to know that I foresee less difficulties in us getting along in future. She is likely remembering our… talk last night.”

The two twins both tilted their heads with looks of confusion on their faces, trying their best to understand what the king meant by 'talk' from the night prior. Once they had an idea of what he meant, the twins seemed to have completely different reactions. Hana smiled excitedly and clapped her hands together, while Rina stood their blushing deeply, glancing between the two royals with shimmering eyes.

"Oh my, this is wonderful news! How splendid!" Hana exclaimed. Her sister nodded sheepishly in agreement.

"Yes, yes... I'm happy for you both. I didn't think the two of you would ever get along--OUCH!" An elbow once again met Rina's ribs as her sister tried to shut her up as best as she could. Hana linked arms with her sister and began to laugh nervously, taking steps backwards while dragging her sister towards the door. Although a blush remained on her face, Evangeline couldn't help but smile, clearly amused at the twins' behavior.

"Excuse my sister, your graces. It seems she is not quite awake yet. We'll be in the meeting hall if you need us. Enjoy your tea!"

And just like that, the two maids escaped through the doors in an instant, shutting it lightly behind them. The sound of Hana scolding Rina could be heard faintly as they walked further down the hall together. Once they were gone, the princess arose from the edge of the bed and walked towards the silver trey, her night gown brushing the floor gently as she reached down and clasped a cup of tea in her fingers, raising it to her lips. She seemed to have calmed down rather quickly as she sipped the warm liquid. Evangeline could feel Xander's eyes surveying her from behind and the blush returned. Silence enveloped the vast room, but it was different than before. The air felt lighter; less heavy and stern.

The princess took to her normal morning routines, slipping behind one of the dividers and changing into a beautiful periwinkle dress that seemed to bring out her eyes even more than her previous outfits. She followed the king out of their bedroom and into the hallway, being unusually quiet despite her mannerisms. Xander's words took the princess by surprise, and she whirled around, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Her eyes traced his face for a few moments, settling on his lips briefly as she remembered the night before. Skin itching with temptation and cheeks rosy, the princess' mind wandered elsewhere as she gazed at her future husband.

It wouldn't hurt to share one more kiss... would it?

That lustful thought shocked the princess entirely and she found herself glancing away from him as a result, frowning.

I did NOT just think that. No, no, no, NO! What is wrong with me? What is HE doing to me? This has to be a trick of some sort. Last night wasn't... real.

She was conflicted, remembering the night before and the passion that came with it. In a way, it frustrated her, and Evangeline could feel a stubbornness rising up in her chest like a storm and her expression of embarrassment quickly faded into one of her classic icy looks. She arched an eyebrow at the king and crossed her arms over her chest.

"So we share one kiss and suddenly you think I'm an easy woman to score? Who do you think I am?" Evangeline scoffed, but there was a nervousness in her voice and her words didn't seem to match up with how she was truly feeling. She knew Xander could sense this. The princess bit her lip and sighed, once again beginning to blush.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't of said that," she murmured softly, facing him now. Evangeline gazed up at him and clasped her hands behind her back, inching a tiny bit forward.

"I suppose... one more kiss wouldn't hurt."

Little did the two of them know that Clyde was searching for them and would happen to stumble upon them the moment they chose to embrace, resulting in a very awkward encounter.

The twins' delayed, yet expected reactions and subsequent bickering prompted Xander to shake his head with a smile at the display. He really was grateful for these two girls, and found himself thinking that thier kindess really shouldn't be shunned as much as he tended to shun it; seeing them like this lifted his mood a little further despite today's unfortunate yet necessary agenda, and Xander found himself suddenly realizing that usually, he was rather cold and aloof to them just as he was to most other people.

A large portion of the Fire Monarch wanted to affirm Hana's admittedly very-much-like-her offhand comment regarding not expecting the pair to be able to warm up to each other like they had the night before. Truth be told, he half-thought it might've been a dream before he woke up and saw how happy Evangeline had been as she awakened, not to mention feeling the deeply pleasant warmth in his chest as he took the sight in. Thankfully, he had enough foresight to not draw Riana's ire just as Hana did, not to mention possibly Evangaline's who was certainly in more of a position to express her displeasure in him than the two servant girls were, as Xander had seen first hand the very same day. On top of all of this, he knew that the newfound peace, a foundation for the feelings that would carry the marriage should the both of them survive the current predicament, was still very newly established and thus shaky. He had decided that he needed to be careful for her sake, his people's, and for the sake of his own fondness for her as well, something that may well be the beginning of love, or at least the feelings that most people seemed to attribute it to. Seeing as Evangeline was the first woman he's ever felt this exciting spark with, whatever it was, he wanted to do everything in his power to ensure that spark lasted as long as possible regardless, a spark which Evangeline herself also seemed to be feeling if that electric kiss the night before and her breakdown beforehand had been any indication, although it had surprised him greatly.

The King then did as he usually did when Rina pulled Hana from the room in this fashion, something that had always happened often since those two had begun working for him and only moreso when Evangeline had moved in, waving the two of them off with a nod, albeit with a bit more of a smile this morning than usual. "You are exused," he said, formal as ever but a little less stern. He wondered if they noticed.

The Monarch's smile faded once they were gone, however, the renewed morning quiet reminding him in its way of the literal shadows threatening to encroach upon his people and the cruel action he must commit in order to stave it off. Thankfully, he was not alone in that decision, and just as he was getting tea to keep his mind of it, he was reminded of his confidant, and future wife, as she appeared beside him, grasping her own cup of tea as he enjoyed his. The tea, though always excellently made, of course, seemed to taste especially lovely today... or was it just the sight of Evangeline that he took in over the rim of his cup as he took his own sip?

These t houghts, and the mere sight of her, aroused the desire in him to partake of her lips once more before the proceedings of the day truly began, now that they were both prepared. As she whirled around there in the hallway,catching the sight of her eyes and just how pronounced they looked with the dress she'd picked this morning, he found himself subconsciously inching closer, his deep crimson eyes following hers until they settled upon her lips almost simultaneously, their faces very close indeed. It seemed as though, beautiful blush and all, she was about to give in to his offer without a word, but the moment she stopped to frown he found himself mentally chastising himself for moving even faster than he had the night before. At his words, he closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, sighing to keep composure. He could hear the uncertainty in her words among her conviction and felt he understood where it was coming from. All of her perhaps at least partly warranted animosity toward him could not fade overnight, any man of acceptable intellect and personage would know that and a King certainly should, he thought. He resolved to let her vent, first, then to try and salvage the mood if at all possible, however, something unexpected then occurred.

She stopped her indignant tirade suddenly, her guilt plain on her face with an accompanying blush while she chewed her lip a little. Suddenly, the incredulous look he was giving Evangeline's outburst morphed into one of cautious understanding, and at her apology, it was as though the tension that had been there instantly dissipated, harkening back to the night before. He even felt that same passionate wonder as she even leaned forward, hands clasped behind herself now, in a clear gesture to go ahead and kiss her anyway.

"You're forgiven, Evangeline... there are bound to be some lingering hostilities between us still..."

He found himself thinking as he trailed off, Evangeline then affirming with words that her permission was indeed granted after all. Xander marveled for a moment at just how stunningly beautiful she looked like this, before his own cheeks flushed a bit and the King leaned forward to carefully embrace her, hands slipping behind her upper back as he leaned forward, intending to fully savor this kiss just like the night before.

However, their lips were a fraction of an inch from meeting when he heard footsteps rounding the corner of the hallway that he knew instantly could only belong to his butler. Thoroughly red-cheeked now, he pulled away, Evangeline likely sensing the reluctance in the slow way he did it and the slightly mournful look in his eyes before he straightened himself and cleared his throat. "Ah, Clyde. Erm, I... assume we are needed urgently?" He reached down to grasped Evangeline's hand to make their way, moving to her side. Hopefully, they would have time for smooching later.

Last edited:
In that moment, all she could feel was the burning of her blushing cheeks and the fluttering of her heart, pounding furiously with anticipation. Their eyes were locked, fire staring into ice. Xander dismissed her apology rather quickly much to her relief, and Evangeline found herself wanting to savor every second of this moment, just like the night previously. As he stepped forward, she felt his hands brush against her waist as they snaked around her upper back, her skin tingling underneath his touch. She found herself leaning forward, gazing into his eyes as she moved her hands forward, wrapping them around his neck gently. Evangeline could feel her eyes beginning to close, and just as there lips were about to touch--

--Xander pulled away.

The princess harbored a look of utter confusion at his reluctance, too petrified with bliss to hear the sound of footsteps approaching near the end of the hallway. However, the reason for Xander's hesitation became obvious, and Evangeline looked on in horror at Clyde, who stood there staring at the two, mouth agape and eyes wide with disbelief. She immediately separated from the king's embrace and began to blush, staring down at the floor. The princess felt like a schoolgirl who'd just been caught and it was incredibly embarrassing.

The adviser cleared his throat and shook his head, trying his best to remain professional as he mustered a small smile and approached more closely.

"Ah, pardon me, your highness. I did not mean to interrupt such a... private moment. My apologies." Clyde bowed shortly before him, peeking above the rim of his glasses and flashing the king a devious look as well as a quick wink. Since his back was turned to the princess, Evangeline did not catch this look, and instead it remained a private exchange. The adviser straightened up, appearing more serious now.

"Yes, your majesty. I've called the Merus royals to the throne room, and they are waiting for you," the adviser took a sudden step forward, leaning towards Xander's ear.

"...but, are you sure this is what you want? Do you know how much chaos this will create?" He whispered to the king gravely.

Evangeline was too distracted by her own troublesome thoughts and the comforting feeling of Xander's hand interlaced with hers to fully listen to their conversation. She bit her lip, eyebrows furrowing into a deep frown. This was the moment she had been dreading since the day Xander told her about the assassin, and she knew it wouldn't end well. Evangeline subconsciously gave the king's hand a gentle squeeze to remind herself that she was not alone in this matter.

Xander felt nearly physically wounded by the sensation of his future wife's arms leaving his neck as he pulled away reluctantly, feeling rather miffed at Clyde for a moment before his mind retaliated to that feeling with a thought that Clyde always came around, and he certainly wouldn't be expecting to possibly interrupt something like this. Evangeline's look of confusion pained him, and so did his own desire that was now being denied. However, Clyde had something important to bring up and always did, and a King always need be wrapped up in the affairs of his own people before his own. Despite that, even as the king listened to his butler's words, he glanced over to Evangeline and grinned as if to say 'we will have all the time in the world later'. Despite how dutiful and rigid a man he could be, his newfound affection for a woman he had thought before that he was never going to feel much of anything for did wonders to diminish his focus a little. However, he still heard enough of the words whispered into his ear to understand where Clyde was coming from, sigh, and then turn to meet his eyes as he stood there holding his future wife's hand, a resolute yet slightly regretful look in his eyes.

He still was a bit surprised himself that the pair had been able to become romantically inclined at all given the reason they were together was neither Royal's choice in the beginning. The look on Clyde's face and his rather out-of-character stammering as he moved to speak made it clear that he had not been expecting that development either, as no one who really knew they royals would've been before the previous heartfelt evening they shared.

Evangeline squeezing his hand did help to refocus him. He had to stand resolute for his people, even now in the face of the caution of his butler, which the monarch felt would indeed be wise to listen to if the circumstances were different, and Evangeline's grip served as a tangible reminder of that for the Sevveraldan king in this moment.

"You are, ah... forgiven, Clyde. Speak," Xander said, smiling a small smile back at the man, a faint blush upon his cheeks. As surprised as he'd been to see the ensuing kiss, it was clear that he was glad the Royals were getting along as a couple classically should, of course. Arranged marriages rarely ended up that way, but Xander was now on board to see how close he and the Ice princess could come, two very unlikely lovers all things considered, though he felt hopeful after he'd managed to figuratively melt a hole through Evangeline's icy demeanor, and in the process set himself straight a little.

Xander's lascivious smile instantly returned to his usual staunch and stoic countenance as Clyde straightened up and then spoke of the Merus Royals' arrival in his throne room, the King nodding curtly in response and, in response to the dread that welled up within him upon hearing that it was already time to get this unpleasant business over with, tightened his grip slightly on the princess's hand.

Clyde leaning in gave Xander pause, as he had a feeling what he was going to ask that he wanted only the King to hear, and to his dismay though not his surprise, Clyde was cautioning him on the entire decision.

"I... it is not a matter of want, Clyde. We have determined that this is what is needed, we've no better choice in the corner we've been painted into," he whispered back. "Let us get going," he then said, pulling back from Clyde and then looking to Evangeline. "Well, Evangeline... let us do... what we must do," he said, a resolute yet unsure look in his eyes, inner conflict abound in his mind as he hoped to share the resolve he felt with her, as well as strengthen his own by looking into those beautiful eyes. The latter certainly worked, especially now that he has seen past his pride and prejudice to see her for the woman beneath the Ice Princess title. With heavy, yet purposeful steps, he then led Evangeline by the hand, walking side-by-side with Clyde down the hallway and into the throne room proper.

Last edited:
Hearing Xander's response made Clyde frown, his eyebrows furrowing and mouth pursed, but the royal adviser did not protest to the king's words. He gave a curt nod and stepped away from him just as he did. There was something about this entire situation that bothered him to no end, and no matter how hard the adviser poked and prodded, Xander wouldn't budge on the subject. Clyde had advised the king since he was merely a young prince, and although he had his downfalls, Xander never made decisions as drastic and careless as this.

Clyde shook his head lightly to clear away any unwanted thoughts and focused on the present moment. Seeing the two royals together like this was still rather unexpected, and Clyde cast his gaze towards their clasped hands as if to make sure what he was seeing was real and not some trick. It was no secret that Xander's adviser was quick to notice such minuscule details that many others could not. He knew the king was incredibly embarrassed and it was quite amusing to see such a stoic and serious man crumble underneath the princess' touch.

Folding his hands behind his back, Clyde bowed quickly to acknowledge the king's wishes.

"As you see fit, your Majesty. I will accompany you to the throne room." He explained while straightening his posture to a normal stance. As the royals conversed with one another, Clyde observed silently, an amused grin on his face that he couldn't seem to shake. Evangeline was suddenly ripped from her troublesome thoughts at the sight of Xander swiveling to meet her gaze, stepping more closely to her now. The feeling of his hand continuously embracing her own was enough to comfort the worried princess and she mustered a small smile.

"We're doing this because we have to... not because we want to." Evangeline reminded him in a soft whisper, giving his hand another gentle squeeze. When all was said and done, and they began to follow Clyde down the hallway, she could feel her heart grow heavier and heavier with each step. Feelings of dread and fear set in instantaneously, haunting the princess and her thoughts. The Merus and Gwirellan families had been lifelong allies for as long as history foretold, and they supported each other loyally throughout many wars and complications, never failing to be there for one another. Although Evangeline refused to admit it, this was a betrayal that wouldn't be so easily repaired.

As the three stepped into the throne room, and Evangeline's gaze fell upon the familiar faces of the Merus royals staring back at her with those kind eyes she knew so well, the princess fought back the urge to cry. A lump appeared in her throat and the hand entwined with Xander's began to shake ever so slightly. It took every ounce of willpower she had left, but she managed to force a smile, masking the whirlwind of emotions bombarding her all at once. She couldn't bear to face the king in such a state as she knew how guilty it would make him feel, so she let go of his hand without a single glance of acknowledgement and walked forward.

King Garen was the first one to speak up, breaking the silence.

"Princess Evangeline and King Xander, it is lovely to see the two of you. I must once again thank you both for allowing our family to visit on such short notice. Although we have never been well acquainted, I am pleased to say we have all enjoyed your company." Garen said to Xander with a beaming smile and a nod of acknowledgement, bowing to show his gratitude. Prince Zen and the king's wife followed and soon returned to their normal stances behind him. As always, the Merus royals showed nothing but kindness and generosity, and Evangeline couldn't help but wince, feeling as though a bee had just stung her. She cleared her throat and tried her best to appear undisturbed, returning their friendly smiles with her own.

"Xander and I are honored by your words, Garen. However, despite our pleasantries, the reason we have invited you here is... not so pleasant." She could feel herself beginning to shake and her hands balled up into fists behind her, knuckles white. The Merus king quirked an eyebrow and the smile faded from his lips, his head tilting slightly to the side.

I can do this.

"Oh? May I ask why we have been called here then?" His tone lowered and he spoke more gravely as he glanced between Evangeline and Xander, his expression darkening.

Her heart began to race. The lump in her throat began to rise once more, and for a few moments she could not find the words to speak. Everything around her began to blur into a blob of swirling color, red mixing with white and so on. The muffled sound of Garen's voice calling out with a concerned "Evangeline?" failed to reach her as she did not respond. Finally, Evangeline opened her mouth to speak.

"Xander and I have come to a decision-"

I'm sorry.

"-that I must bear with a heavy heart." Evangeline could feel the tears welling in her eyes, threatening to spill. She sucked in a quick breath and held it.

Please, don't say it.

"We have chosen to break away from our alliance with Merus." Her voice began to falter as she spoke those dreaded words aloud.

Forgive me.

Silence encompassed the throne room. Not a single sound was heard. Evangeline's heart was beating so hard that she was surprised no one could hear it. The look on Garen and Zen's faces was almost enough to push the princess over the edge as they stared up at them in disbelief, eyes wide and mouths open. It was clear Garen could not believe what he had just heard, and his pale blue eyes darted between Evangeline and Xander, finally settling on the Severrald king.

"What is the meaning of this? Explain yourself." Garen spoke with a stern voice.

Last edited:
Xander found himself regarding his Butler with a bit of an apologetic look, relieved that he did not press further. Hopefully, he'd have an opportunity to explain what was going on later. For now, however, Zekar had his lips tightly sealed on the matter. Clyde was a smart, perceptive fellow; he would know something was amiss, but he also knew that Xander never ever lied to him or omitted information to him without a good reason. He simply hoped that the opportunity would come that he could explain to Clyde what led him to this decision, as that was all he truly seemed able to do at this time. After nodding his thanks and affirmation, the King then took a deep breath, clearly also more nervous than he normally let on. He found it more difficult to hide his emotions ever since Zekar had come to him in person with such a painful ultimatum to fulfill. Xander wished that he could tell Clyde at least something, but it was too risky. When Xekar says they are watching, they are always, always watching. Their powerful presence in the shadows of the world was the reason for the strength of the Shadow Kingdom's reign.

The king also sensed Clyde's perhaps pleasant surprise at noticing Xander's open affection toward his future queen, something that no one would've likely expected of him beforehand, not to mention Clyde, who more or less knows the king by the back of his hand. Or, perhaps, he thought he did until all the rather-unlike-him behavior that Xavier began exhibiting on this fateful morning. Xavier also thought he knew who he was, but he was finding that blooming love and hardship both had a remarkable amount of power to change a person.

The feeling of Evangeline's hand tightly interwoven with his felt like the only thing truly keeping him going forward with this; that and the Princess's words, which broke the subject, allowing him to cut straight to the chase. He had honestly been wondering how he was going to bring such a drastic and frankly callous topic to light, and every kind word thrown their way before their chance to speak made it more difficult. Evangeline stepping up to the plate like this surprised him, but he made certain that his emotions were indiscernible. "A king does not fear', he thought to himself, taking a quiet deep breath, once Evangeline was done shifting the topic to the unnecessary evil that was now his prerogative to finish carrying out.

Squeezing Evangeline's hand a bit tighter to reassure the both of them, hopefully, Xander met the eyes of the outraged Merus Royals, both solemn and determined look in his eyes. He wished he was able to tell them why, but the mysterious Xekarian that appeared before him gave him little choice. He'd heard the stories; the shadow kingdom always finds a way to make their threats into a terrible reality. There were stories that they gained a large amount of their power through past subjugations of other kingdoms, and so Xander wasn't going to risk it happening to his people if he could help it.

"I wish the answer were simple. Garen, but there are... details I cannot disclose for the safety of both of our nations, and in fact perhaps all of them. I do not expect you to believe me or to simply go along with this happily; however, we certainly mean no acts of war against you, to be very clear." There was clear and genuine guilt in his eyes, along with a tired conviction that could only arise from such circumstances as those the Severraldan King found himself presently mired in. He hesitated for a moment, before deciding to go for everything he might be able to possibly get away with saying with Xekar watching their every move.

"This is risky in itself, but I will tell you that this is Xekar's doing. They have us cornered. I don't expect you to believe me, though I am sure you've heard the tales. It is likely not to seem such to you but, I am sorry."

The grip Xander held on Evangeline's hand was now very firm, and she would be able to feelhis hand shaking slightly in hers, though his demeanor remained outwardly resolute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back