• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Price James

(I'll set the scene)

It was dark tonight, darker than it ever had been since all the others fell. Phu Phu was just doing his normal city check, trying to use the darkness of the night as some guise for his operrations. Then he heard something, it sounded like...a scream? A woman's, reconizable. It was...her's. But how!? She's dead, right? He felt his heart quicken, his breathing become shakier. The tugging on his mind was too great, he had to follow, and Follow he did.
The closer he got to the alleyway, the colder he felt the air got. There was a feeling of dread growing, but was completely overshadowed by his anticipation, would he see her again? How was this even possible? Would she remember him? When he arrived to the source of the noise he didnt see his fiance...what he saw was strange.
He saw a black cloaked figure, bathed in etherial darkness, they weren't touching the floor for what Phu Phu could see. He held a strange white orb in his hand. His skin was pale, unearthly so. The orb seemed to pulse as it let out another scream of his Fiance's. The figure chuckled and spoke in a soft soothing slighly male sounding voice. "Thank you Mrs. Umbra. He-" He stopped mid sentence once he sensed Phu Phu's presence. He slowly turned on his heel, then stared at him.
"It's a fine night isn't it, Mr. Umbra? Or do you prefer another name? Please let me know, I'd like to be civil with you." He bowed courtiously, his smile shining under his shrowd from the pale streetlights.
The light pollution rendered the nightsky starless, perfectly portraying the somber nature of this meeting. The passing of cars and barking of stray dogs were the only noises that disturbed the serenity. The figure was relaxed, his body language was as if he was greeting an old friend in a professional environment: poised, inviting, happy yet mature.

Phu-Phu cocked his head in suspicion. He never met the villain that had taken his wife's life. He wondered if this was the one. "That's a neat trick you got there," said Phu-Phu, ignoring the questions of the man. "Say, you don't happen to know where the nearest Taco Bell is, do you?" The scream was so realistic. It had brought a sliver of hope that, despite having seen her body and attended her funeral, she would be alive... somehow. He was trying to distract the man while he closed the distance. Once he was close enough, he could try to apprehend the man for further questioning. He would assess his surroundings as he closed the gap.

As the man had suggested, it was indeed a fine night. A cool breeze washed away the day's heat. The sounds of the city indicated relative peace, a sadly uncommon thing in today's age. Phu-Phu was kept busy, being the last hero, so he never had time to enjoy nights like this. He would love nothing more than to be able to curl up with his wife and a book, passing away the time. He couldn't have that anymore, so he wished he could get that for others.

The man chortled and put the orb away into a pocket inside the cloak. "Oh I wouldn't know...I dont care for fast food. But I would recommend that you pick somewhere you like for your last meal." He took a small baton from under his cloak then trusted it forward causing it to extend into a staff. He spun it quickly then stopped it suddenly, the momentum triggering the curved blade of the scythe to flip out.
The man gasped. "Oh where are my manners! I'm Thanatos, you may call me Than, I'm here to put your soul to rest. I sense great misfortune in your past, so I've looked into what happened. And I'm deeply sorry..." He approached, there was no sound of footsteps. "I'm here to grant you justice, you were to die with the others...but a cosmic fluke left you here...alone, sad, overworked and missing Miss Tasha and your lovely daughter Heaven."
Than was about 15metres away now. "But I'm here to make it all stop, set it right. Now, please step forward and hold your head up. It'll be painless. You'll be with them soon. This isnt failiure, dont feel like you're disappointing anyone."
He slowly raised his scythe, the air went stagnant and the noises from the city stopped. As if the world was waiting with bated breath to see what their last hero would do. One that has endured so much, one that was so scared of his own failiure.

Thanatos' words infuriated Phu-Phu. How dare he speak of his late wife and child. Though he wasn't about to let the man goad him into making a mistake. Phu-Phu had taken out many villains, some of them also tried to use psychological attacks to win. Besides, he was used to hiding his pain. This would be no different.

Phu-Phu feigned pain at the mention of his loved ones. He lowered his head, stopping in his tracks. When the man beckoned him forward, he obeyed. "What happened? How did you take out all the heroes? I- I miss my family. I want to see them," he said, doing his best to try to get answers while also appearing sad. He raised his head, as instructed, and pretended to be prepared for death. Though this was far from the truth. He was prepared to transform into his signature duck and take this villain out.

Thanatos raised his eyebrow. "Oh that was not me, it was some other fellow...mad sort. Very unhinged, I rather not sully our conversation with mentions of such a very...um...unlikable person." He shuddered with disgust at mention of the man behind the slaughter responsible for this.

"I hear you my friend, they miss you too but they said I shouldn't do this. That was what the screaming was, your wife pleading to let you go...but my hands are tied and i know deep down you want this. So, without further ado..." He swung his scythe at speeds unseen before, luckily Phu Phu was able to mostly avoid it by shapeshifting. He wasnt unscathed though, his neck suffered a small cut due to the sheer speeds.

The night echoed with the sound of a sleek whooshing sound as the blade cut through the air. Thanatos managed to keep his poise from the scythe, the force should of thrown him off kilter since he missed.

Thanatos talked about what his family wanted. Phu-Phu had originally though that the man was just imitating their voices. If what he says is true, then that means that he's able to speak to the dead somehow. It also posed a whole lot of questions about the afterlife that Phu-Phu didn't have time for right now. Of course, that's assuming this villain wasn't making it all up.

Phu-Phu didn't have much time to ruminate. The man swung his scythe with impressive speed. Enough speed to nick Phu-Phu's neck as he transformed. He was almost impressed. In his duck form, he gave a little quack as he flapped his wings in a manner that would twist his body. He shifted back and, with a grunt, launched a fist at the man's face. Unfortunately, question time was over. He planned on following up his punch with a kick to the villain's knee, hoping to make him buckle. He would also be prepared to shift again. He couldn't afford to underestimate this man. Not with the speed he possessed.

The fist was easily avoided by him leaning more into the swing, his eyes showed in his cloak and he seemed oddly calm. Intimidatingly so, the kick would connect and would only serve to tilt him midair showing he actually was floating. Thanatos made some distance by floating backwards and re-adjusting himself.
"Mr Umbra, that was very undignified...You could've given me a concussion. I know this is scary, but you wanted this. And even if you didn't the world's order must be upheld. You're on borrowed time, have been since he triggered this catastrophy. Please stop resisting, you're only making this hard on yourself. You cant excape death and you cant take what doesn't belong to you."

He spun his scythe slowly. Starting to acend before pointing it down, causing a purple glowing circle to appear below Phu Phu. He would notice that the flowers bursting through the concrete start to wilt. This would give him a slight inkling of what'll happen if he stays down there.
"Please...they hate seeing me hurt you. It makes me feel dreadful."

'He.' Phu-Phu thought to himself, This fool is giving up information and doesn't even realize it. He was surprised to find that the man floated, though it wasn't the first airborne villain he'd have had to defeat. He knew this man was likely a psycho. Overly confident in his own abilities. The calmness in his eyes was evident of that. They can be scary opponents, but confidence can be a burden as well. Phu-Phu wondered what it was he couldn't take? He wouldn't have time to ponder.

A glowy purple circle appeared below him. He wasn't sure what it was, but judging from the reaction from the meager plant life that littered the place, it wasn't good. Phu-Phu had tricks for moving quite quickly, though he kept those hidden for now. Instead, he morphed into his duck form. He used this to fly higher, matching Thanatos' height. "Quack?" questioned Phu-Phu. He wasn't sure what the man planned, but he believed they likely had more tricks up their sleeves. They seemed intelligent, calculating. Like they had a plan. But what was it, he wondered? "Quack." He flapped his tiny wings in what would appear to be a struggle. Feigning weaknesses was a tactic he used sometimes to bait attacks.

Thanatos looked at him, his relaxed disposition seeming to fall into lackadaisicalness. Phu Phu could tell he didn't want to do this. But like a tax man who's been given the order to collect a poor man's last penny, he has to.
"Will you please stop trying to bait out my attacks, I can make this much more painful, you cant escape a force of nature. I'm inevitable, you will fall here no matter how much you struggle. Please make it easy on yourself, I wouldnt want to leave a mess before you get severed from this plane."

Thanatos floated stilly, opening himself up for more questions and attacks. A sense of realization flashed across his face.
"Oh I forgot, I should mention that I can understand you in this form. The language of the soul never changes, not even when the form does."

Phu-Phu was rather taken aback when the man mentioned he could understand his duck language. He wasn't entirely sure what the floating villain wanted, though it seemed as though he were making threats on his life. He wasn't sure of much, but he was sure that the man was a villain and must be taken down. Though, sometimes the best way to do that was by feigning retreat. At least, if this man's goal was to kill him.

"Quack quack.(Well, guess I'll be going, then.)" Phu-Phu turned and started to flap his tiny wings. He watched Thanatos' reflection in the windows of the building at the end of the alley. He was prepared to attack if he came close. If they let him flee, he would circle around and try to attack them from another angle. Phu-Phu was perplexed by the villain. He wondered what his motivations were, or if he possibly worked for someone else. His connection to his dead family was also concerning.

Phu-Phu was rather taken aback when the man mentioned he could understand his duck language. He wasn't entirely sure what the floating villain wanted, though it seemed as though he were making threats on his life. He wasn't sure of much, but he was sure that the man was a villain and must be taken down. Though, sometimes the best way to do that was by feigning retreat. At least, if this man's goal was to kill him.

"Quack quack.(Well, guess I'll be going, then.)" Phu-Phu turned and started to flap his tiny wings. He watched Thanatos' reflection in the windows of the building at the end of the alley. He was prepared to attack if he came close. If they let him flee, he would circle around and try to attack them from another angle. Phu-Phu was perplexed by the villain. He wondered what his motivations were, or if he possibly worked for someone else. His connection to his dead family was also concerning.

He sighs raising his scythe and cutting though the air itself and sending a burst of wind foreward. Due to the fact that ducks are weak flyers due to their small wings, Phu Phu would be unable to keep his aerial balance without difficulty.
"Oh look what you caused! This could've went by without me waking people and being a bad person."

The wind he caused shattered windows and toppled cars, triggering alarms. He then held his scythe in a swinging position and slowly faded from view and becoming unseen. The air got colder, the lights dimmed and a sense of impending doom washed over Phu Phu.

Phu-Phu was sent tumbling from the gust of wind the villain sent. He could have switched to his human form to regain balance better, but decided to stay as a duck for now. Once he regained his balance, he looked around, only to find the man wasn't there anymore. An uneasy feeling also washed over him. He noticed the damage that was caused around him as well. Shattered glass littered the streets.

The small duck started to fly higher. It would be safer for the civilians if they fought in the air. He had the ability to move rather quickly, if needed. He could switch to his human form, which was centered on the duck, then switch back, centering the duck on any part of his body, usually an outstretched arm or leg. Doing this back and forth allowed him to travel vast distances in a short time. Human, then duck, centered on his reaching hand, then human, which appeared where his hand used to be, and so on and so forth. Though he kept this trick reserved for now. He would use it to either dodge a surprise attack, or if he located the man, to attack.

There was a soft murmer behind Phu Phu, giving him ample warning for Thanatos' slashing attack. Even then it would still almost hit. The man sighed and looked to where he stashed the orb.
"...really hellbent on saving him aren't you."
He faded back into view from his missed attack.

A soft sound would ruffle Phu-Phu's feathers, letting him know someone was behind him. He barely had time to switch into his human form and back into his duck form. Though, rather than moving away from the swing, he moved towards it. As before, he would use his duck wings to begin a turning motion. As he switched, he would flip his body further, bringing down a high speed axe kick. Whether his attack connected or not he planned on switching. Using the spinning momentum of his body, he would switch to a duck near his foot, then back into a human to repeat the spinning axe kick.

Phu-Phu found himself thankful he decided to take the fight higher into the air. He managed to catch a short glimpse of people's faces in their windows. One man called out, "You can do it Duckie! Take him down!" Many people have taken to calling him Duckie due to his powers. He didn't mind the name, though he really wouldn't have minded something cooler. He also noticed Thanatos kept talking to himself. Or rather, the orb. The object that mimicked his family's voice. He assumed it was a trick to get him to falter. It would take more than some mimicry or voice recordings to get the better of him, he thought to himself.

Both kicks connected to his face then the back of his head causing Than to back off a bit, holding his face with his second hand the scythe outstretched as a gesture of a cease fire. Even if Phu Phu decided not to agree to the pause he would have a buffer in place for that.
"...You see Miss Tasha...I was here to set things right. I chose the easy way out of respect for you...but I guess you and him want it the hard way. Then so be it."

Thanatos reached into his cloak and pulled out a handheld bell. It resembled a church bell with little engravings of a Raven with a scythe in it's beak. Him pulling the bell out of his cloak caused it to ring very faintly. The ring triggered an agonizing feeling to rack Phu Phu's body. He held the bell close to his Scythe, right about to smack it with the blade.
"Good night sir!"
He whispered through gritted teeth and infuriated scowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back