• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A magical meeting

redroseknight

The senpai who noticed
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
A golden age had settled over the land of Avongale, the kingdom's natural defenses protecting it from any foreign powers wishing to invade for their plentiful natural resources. For the citizens, life had never been better. Taxes were low since they were not needed to fund a war effort, the harvest had been plentiful, crime rates were down due to the attentiveness of the king's guards that were stationed in each town..unless one was of magical birth, of course. The approaching equinox marked the twenty fifth year since the official ban on even the speaking of magic within the kingdom's boarders and the executions of all practitioners. Children born with the mark were to be handed over to the authorities to be disposed of, a preemptive attempt to keep the land completely clear of magic.

Which of course was complete nonsense. There was still magic brewing outside of the towns, sorcerers practicing their craft within the confines of their huts deep in the mountains and forests. One such sorcerer had been honing his skills for the past twenty four years, biding his time to be able to enact his vengeance on the brother that had exiled him from within the kingdom. The king most likely thought that his brother had been killed by wild animals or bandits, but oh no. The man had thrived, his burning hatred for King Reynald getting him through the lean years, when both he and the apprentice he had adopted were freezing and starving. The apprentice he had raised, nurturing her power..and in one moment destroying the bond between them forever. His hatred of the king ran deeper than his love of the woman who had been his daughter.

It was this betrayal by her master that had wounded her more deeply than any blade ever could, her frantic flight from the hut they shared leading her the only place that he wouldn't yet follow her. Not before he was able to draw forth the power once more to enact his revenge on King Reynard. Only when she actually reached the gates of the castle garden and slipped inside did it finally click in her mind: This was an absolutely terrible idea! She was a sorceress! They killed babies for that here!

But she didn't look like a sorceress right now, now did she? Sayviel limped forward toward the flowing fountain to get a drink of water, peering down at her reflection as she lapped up the clear liquid. Violet eyes stared back at her from the reflection of the fountain, and that was all that she recognized of herself. Rather than a human woman with angular features and a consistent frown, a solid black fox's face met her gaze. She huffed as she turned away from the water and sat down, instinctively licking the deep gash down her foreleg that she had received during her mad dash from her master. The metallic taste of blood met her tongue and she spat, ears flattening against the top of her head. Why did she even do that? If she was going to have to fight against animal instincts, then this day was just getting even better.

All right, Sayviel, you are safe for a moment. It is time to think. Wulfric is a ceremonial sort of fellow. He won't pass up the opportunity to make his move on the twenty fifth anniversary of his banishment. So I have exactly a fortnight to convince someone to break the magical ban, help me get back to my natural form, and stop the assassination. She winced as she lifted her injured leg, the draining of adrenaline from her system cuing the pain receptors in her leg to start working again. Oh, but first things first. Maybe I can find a servant or the garden care taker to take pity on me. I just have to look as pathetic as possible. And like I'm just an ordinary fox. Should be simple enough.

T Tove

467870-bigthumbnail.jpg

Well before the break of dawn, the young woman's eyelids fluttered open. Long dark eyelashes eventually parted to give away to the dark brown hues reminiscent of the grand splendor of a world unexplored. For a good moment, she with the round face and smooth alabaster skin remained where she was in the comfort of her big bed having the thick royal red and golden sheets surrounding her body. Aeolthine Ahlstedt could barely see the objects around her room including the mural laced ceiling above which mirrored that of something frightening the way it was now and surely a sight to some young child, but the princess slept in this room for as long as she could remember nothing of the sort bothered her especially when light passed through carved out window to clear up the misconception. Rising midway, the blankets fell around her waist. Turning her head, Aeolthine viewed the window where darkness greeted her curious eyes across the land, the candles long burned out during the night.

It was the best time for her, to be able to think often and decide how best to utilize her day in the time to come which, of course, involved training an everyday occurrence to keep not only her mind stimulated her body too. Aeolthine would get up before anyone to train where her time spread into noon and the possibility of her father's stern eye would not be the only thing she had to contend with. Closing her eyes, the crisp scent of morning traveled through her window carrying the smell of pine from the nearby trees. It alerted the young one the more she stayed woven in the sea of blankets, the more time got away and it would be less time to practice with her blade. Kicking free of the covers, a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. Long auburn hair cascaded against her face. She threw her legs over the side of the bed, a bearskin rug caught her bare feet at their descent and quick strides brought the princess to a storage chest at the foot of her bed. Once opened, on the top of folded neatly dresses and boxed ornaments sat a black worn scabbard belt and the sheath for a swept hilt bone handle rapier, her rapier, given to her by her father after two years of pleading not to mention Athan's blessing including Strom whom watched her train first hand while keeping a hand on the tea. The actual blade itself held a shimmering steel color prone to blinding someone at the right angle of the sun. She retrieved the belt wrapping it around her slender waist. Rather than change from the long short sleeve velvet green night gown she wore, Aeolthine ran to the wardrobe closet throwing back the doors to find a matching coat to cover her arms minimizing the scandal to be caused being in night clothes. She found simple slippers balancing one hand on the rock wall avoiding a tumble in the process. Afterwards, she abandoned the double doors of her room into the dimly candle-lit hall where decorative red lining touched the floors. At the northern end of the hallway, two of her father's guards were stationed near her grandfather's hanging portrait. Aeolthine would avoid having to answer any questions as much as possible, instead, she moved opposite taking off although throwing a look over her shoulder she saw the pair deviate from their sentinel position. They had seen her most likely something that couldn't be helped nor would she dwell on it.

At this time, very few save for guards, were up other than a handful of the servants maybe Aeolthine's father-she could not be entirely certain. He might have tended to affairs in his room or something else. Regardless, the early hours she quite enjoyed when nothing moved and her thoughts were free to roam on her training or even if she could spare it, write them down on parchment to read over one rainy day. Aeolthine wondered what was to happen in her life later on. Would she be forced to marry, leave her homeland for the sake of the marriage. A fear of hers held her teetering on the edge of defiance to think if an arranged marriage were to be in the cards would her spouse permit her training to continue or would she live out her life looking through glass never fully knowing what lie on the other side. Her feet lead her on, daunting thoughts crept into her mind slightly pulling her from what she yearned to do. Shaking them away, the princess rounded the massive stairwell steering clear of chatter elsewhere. On the the last step, she entered the magnificent foyer taking a path through the kitchen where already the cooks made preparations for breakfast. None noticed her mad dash toward the door leading out to the garden, her place of practice among the flowers. Not many could come out here in the secluded area as gates surrounded in the fields of colorful flower variations making a clear walkway to the ever flowing fountain. In the way distance mountains and trees could be seen and in the sky dark blue breaking into the black. Aeolthine barely made it, a slight tug of the wind blew her hair and taking a second she admired the flowers she assumed the mother she did not know had a hand in creating. Pressing her lips together, one hand wrapped around the sword hilt however, footsteps from behind made her lessen her grip. Looking over her shoulder, Aeolthine felt a wooden spoon hit the top of her head. She scowled. "Damnation!" The curse slipped from her mouth, it had hurt, and only one person used a spoon for something aside of stirring a stew.

Strom.

She whirled around finding the master servant standing a reasonable space from her. Wrinkles cracked his face and his blue pupils stared at her sternly from behind thin spectacles. His gray hair came tied in a clean ponytail while not an ounce of hair touched the man's oblong face. One arm folded appropriately behind his back with the other dormant at his side and that wooden spoon tucked in his gloved hand.

"Manners young one manners," Strom frowned. "A lady should not utter such language at the near break of dawn more over you should not be alone at this hour without proper guard. Do you want your father's wrath to reach us all?"

Aeolthine ignored him. She grasped the hilt of her rapier pulling it from the scabbard. Tucking her left hand behind her back, she took a forward step striking at her invisible target precise. She had no time to listen to his long winded words. He hit her with the spoon again, a fair strike on the head. It forced her to look at him breaking her training.
"Why do you keep doing that?!"

"For your language, one. Two, you ignored me." He said calmly.

"For the love of the world, Strom. I am fine, I needed no guard. Father's wrath will be kept at bay if we are not loud. I needed to practice and think."

"You can think in bed. Daylight provides better time to practice," He still looked at her sternly. "And you are in your nightly garments no less..."

"Covered by a coat."

He shook his head. "Every gray hair I have because of you," The master servant thought a moment. "And your father too. I'll get no rest from either of you until they throw dirt on my coffin."

"We will get no rest either unless they gag you." The princess ducked narrowly missing another strike on the head by the spoon. Quickly, she snatched the utensil throwing it far. Strom's eyebrow lifted.

"You don't think I have more?"

"Do you not have somewhere you need to be, someone else you need to bother?"

He tilted his head. "No, just you." The man waved her on. "Go on my dear, practice. I'll keep watch."

"It isn't necessary."

"Oh, but it is. Carry on."

The princess grimaced. She took her position again under the watchful eye of Strom who was like a second father to her so the banter between them was natural. Aeolthine struck forward, the tip of her rapier aimed at the heart of the fool stupid enough to be in the line of fire. She took a step back and hit forward once more. Knowing when to strike and block were vital, posture too according to Strom. As dawn broke the night, the older man took a seat on the edge of the fountain watching her make agile and quick steps. He seemed pleased when she stole a glance at him. "Strom...?"

"Yes?"

"The kingdom seems on edge as of late, why is that? Is something wrong?"

Strom shook his head. "No," He kept the stern look about his face, but Aeolthine could feel there was more to it, she wasn't imagining anything. Something felt off. "Keep your shoulders straight, defense is important too never forget that lest you want a sword through you." Neither noticed as the day went on the approach of the visitor at the fountain until Strom looked from Aeolthine's quick steps at the sound of lapping water. He was up faster than a man his age should have been.

"Damnation!" His glasses slid along the bridge of his nose.

The princess stopped moving. She was startled. "What is the matter?"

"A fox! In the gardens!"

Aeolthine's dark eyes drifted from him to around the fountain to none other than the violet-eyed fox. "Oh..."

"Keep away, it might have diseases." Strom warned.

She stretched to take a better look. Animals rarely found their way in the garden unless chased by another bigger animal or human at least. The violet eyes caught her off guard, they were like rare jewels. As she took a step forward, Strom's arm blocked the path. "No." Was all he said.

"It's just a fox besides it looks hurt..."

"Good, less to worry about." The master servant shooed the animal. "Be gone with you beast, you have no place here unless you want to be skinned."
redroseknight redroseknight

Last edited:
Sounds of human voices reached the fox's ears, her ears swiveling to better pick up their words. Did he just say that I might have diseases? Why, I have never.. The fox was quite indignant, and it showed as she puffed up her chest in response to the man's gestures. This old man truly does not know a quality vixen when he sees one. Even in this body, I am practically perfect. She shook her body a little, black fur fluffing up to its maximum volume. The pelt was surprisingly clean from her frantic run, only a few barbs caught around the fur near her paws. It was an unusual color as well, such a stark black hue with only one, odd, star-shaped patch of white fur on her chest.

Her gaze moved to the woman near him, and she took in the woman's appearance. They certainly dress interestingly here in the castle she thought to herself with a silent chuckle, violet eyes moving up to examine the woman's face. She holds herself with such confidence, but she responds to the man as if his counsel holds some sway. And she knows how to wield a sword..perhaps she is a member of the guard? Since she lived with her master for the entirety of her life, she had never heard what the royal family looked like. She certainly would never have imagined that a princess would have been dressed in an odd velvet dress wielding a sword at this hour of the day! What she did know was that the girl would be her mark.

Flattening her ears and looking down, the fox began to limp quite dramatically toward the pair with her violet eyes locked on Aeolthine's dark brown ones. When she drew a bit closer, she paused for a moment to try to make sure that the weak and pathetic whine was going to come out correctly. Everything was riding on her drawing sympathy from the woman, so she had to successfully sell the idea that she was just a weak, pathetic, injured fox. Absolutely no magical funny business going on there. She was also aware of the fact that she did need to keep her attention at least partially on Strom; that did not look like the sort of man who would spare her life, fox or not.

Time got away from them, Aeolthine had begun to realize. Her eyes did a quick glance at the sky able to see the sun creeping up over the horizon and knew her chance at adequate training had been put to rest at first by Strom, but circumstance next. It was a day wasted and yet she wasn't all to bothered by it though Strom would repay the favor later she decided, her undivided attention, remained on their guest. The fox. Clearly from his statement, the master servant intended to skin it for a stew, the princess could see it in his eyes beyond his spectacles. "Strom, calm down." She replied.

"I am calm," He replied. "To a degree. This animal can be rightly dangerous." One of his eyebrows raised at the movement of the animal. "It is as if the beast can hear what we say?"

"Because," Aeolthine frowned. "You are talking about skinning the poor creature, I wouldn't be surprised if your face got scratched up. Actually old man," A soft playful smile tugged at her lips. "I might not mind seeing that, it would serve you right." She only jested with him, a quick look from the fox brought her own dark eyes on the older male. Strom didn't speak, a strange look appeared on his face. One she couldn't be certain of. "I only kid." She followed his gaze to their guest, the violet-eyed fox. There was something oddly different about this creature, Aeolthine was familiar with foxes. She'd seen them in texts, this one was entirely different. She had never saw one with with such beautiful eyes before nor the fine pelt and a single star-shaped patch of white fur on its chest. Perhaps this is what brought on Strom's silence or something more, the people of the kingdom acted strange enough as of late. She felt by looking into the fox's eyes she might be lost in them. Aeolthine's head tilted to the side, a wave of uncertainty washed over her entire body and despite wearing the coat a chill prickled her skin with the hidden goosebumps. Unknown to either her nor Strom, near the second entryway to the kitchen, someone watched them. The individual returned to the kitchen shortly after. The princess moved. She noticed her hand still gripped her sword, perhaps the fox assumed she might use it putting truth in Strom's earlier statement. Instead, she put it in her scabbard hinting no harm would come to the animal whom began to approach them limping. A snort left Strom.

"Look at this," He placed a gloved hand under his chin. "You give it them tiniest bit of remorse, it clings to it."

"Hush up man, can you not see it walks with injury?"

"I'm well aware of that fact. I am also quite prepared to strike it dead if a hair on your head is touched," He seemed to be speaking to both she and the animal, the threat laced in the words. The master servant was more than his title. His free hand wrapped cautiously around a hidden dagger in his coat. He never kept his eyes off the violent ones.
Aeolthine drew closer to the fox. She knelt, the whine reaching her ears.

"It's okay," She said. "You will not be harmed." Her eyes took in the fox's sight further trying to figure out why it moved with a limp. "Oh, I see." She concluded.

"The foreleg," Strom beat her to an explanation. "A deep gash, if not treated properly will cause the beast to either lose that leg or...." His voice trailed. Aeolthine shook her head.

"No loss of limb or life today," She told the fox, a warm smile radiated on her lips. "You will be fine. In the meantime, that grievous wound must be temporarily wrapped until I can make a paste from herbs to cover the wound." She approached closer holding a hand out to signify she meant no harm. If allowed, she would touch the top of the animal's head drawing a sigh from Strom. The man kept his hand on his weapon and eyes where they should be. "See." The princess smiled. She, in a quick effort, tore a long piece of her night garment where her lower left leg could be seen.

"Highness, really?" Strom spoke sternly.

Aeolthine ignored him. She went to wrap her guest's foreleg, a small fix for now. "I'll get you right," She told the fox staring into those eyes. "You have the most beautiful eyes ever, like amethyst. Where did you get those eyes, I feel like I can be lost in them." Her hand massaged the well kept fur. "Welcome to Avongale. Strom?"

"Yes, my lady?"

"I cannot treat our guest out here."

"Oh, no. Absolutely not."

"Look, you have one of two choices. Either you can bring my paste to me or we can go inside. Either way something is happening this instant."

"Must you cater to this filthy beast? Send it on its way, there's no reason to cause uproar in the castle. Can you see the trouble now? It will grow attached, give you the illusion you've nothing to fear and as your father joins you for breakfast the thing will bite you or him."

"You have the wildest imagination, a bit on the paranoid side might I add." Aeolthine made her mind up. She ushered the fox in her arms turning around. Strom stared the fox down in silent warning. He kept at Aeolthine's side as she headed back the way she came. As soon as she entered the kitchen, dishes broke and servants, men and women alike, cried out leaving their posts.

"Calm down," Strom spoke. "Relax, back to work. The food will not make itself, the king will not be pleased."

"My paste, Strom." Aeolthine found a corner of the kitchen to sit with the guest. Strom shook his head.

"You harm her, fox, I'll be wearing your pelt." The man warned, he told one of the others to keep an eye on the princess in his departure. Aeolthine sighed as she ran a hand through the fox's fur.

"What brought you all the way out here?" She wondered.

The fox's gaze did shift to the sword held in the young woman's hand, her mind beginning to think that she had made a mistake in hedging her bets on the woman's sympathy. Those concerns were swiftly laid to rest when the sword was sheathed, and she immediately began to feel her confidence surge. She was far more capable than her master had given her credit for; he undervalued her feminine, or in this case cute fluffy animal, wiles. The older man, though..he certainly seemed like a problem. Something in his gaze left the fox nervous, especially how he vocalize his threats to her. She would need to be cautious with that one. It seemed that the young woman was actually the one deciding matters; she would need to keep close to her to remain safe until she could figure out how else to proceed.

Her gaze returned to the woman as she approached, the fox lowering her head a little to permit the touch. It was peculiar, this feeling of a hand against her fur. Her master had never been an affectionate father figure, doting only in physical gifts and praise for her command of elemental magic. She brushed aside such thoughts when she heard him address the woman as highness. The fox's gaze sharpened as she processed this information. So this was the princess! She certainly wasn't what she had pictured a princess to look like, all fragile and frilly, like that doll that her master had salvaged from an unfortunate caravan that became lost in the forest during an exceptionally harsh winter. Beauty was there in abundance, she noted, her gentleness with the fox's injury juxtaposed by her previous wielding of a sword. The fox's thoughts were further derailed when her paw was being wrapped, the fox lowering her head and letting out another soft whine. Divine stars above did that hurt!

The fox lifted her head to look at Aoelthine, violet connecting with dark brown. Her question made the fox snicker internally. Well, I had to search every merchant in the kingdom for this particular shade of eye color. But obviously it was well worth it to make a lady swoon, she thought to herself cheekily. Living with only her master had left the fox with no social interaction outside of viewing caravans that made the long, daring trek through the forest she was raised in. Her head tilted to the side at the gentle touch of the princess's hand against her fur. This, she could get used to. That pleased expression changed in a snap when Strom called her filthy. Did he not see how absolutely pristine her fur was? Her ears flattened in protest, and her eyes narrowed in a glare. And honestly, expecting her to lash out and bite people like a crazed mongrel..animals had more sense than that. There was always a reason when they struck, but leave it to these common humans to be so arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

The fox stepped delicately into the princess's arms, being mindful of her claws as she obtained a comfortable position. She watched the chaos her presence caused with detached amusement. They acted as if she were a wyvern, or at least something large enough to do some damage. When Aoelthine sat, the fox shifted her position to sit in the woman's lap with her tail curling around her. She could get used to this kind of treatment, she supposed, leaning into the hand stroking her fur.

Here this man is so concerned about a fox causing trouble yet there is going to be a true threat to the kingdom in a short amount of time. She decided to be a little cheeky and give Strom an actual nod of understanding, displaying a bit of arrogance.

Oh, princess, you wouldn't believe me if I told you, she thought with a little too much focus on the princess. She was still having trouble with telepathy, and she had a tendency to accidentally use it at the worst moments.

T Tove

"Pay little mind to that old man," Aeolthine whispered to the fox as her gentle hand made soft movements through the beautiful fur Strom more or less set his eyes on. "I won't let him touch you," Dark eyes lifted to the kitchen staff particularly the one he left in charge. "I won't let any of them touch you." A smile graced her lips at the curling tail, the leaning body closer to her. Where had this one come from, that posed the question at hand, and what happened. The cloth around the foreleg was just a temporary fix, without her paste the wound would not heal. With her eyelids closing, Aeolthine wished for Strom to bring what she needed with haste. She did not want their guest to suffer further, those whines reached her ears and heart. If it had been a human being, she would've acted in the same manner be it naive not to know the true story. She imagined the violet-eyed fox falling victim to some hunter's trap, those in the kingdom set them to capture animals all the time or so she heard.

"You can rest," She once more opened her eyes. "I may just be imagining things, but did you give our old coot a nod?" Aeolthine remembered quite well Strom's words mere moments ago and what she thought was a nod.

"You are special, I can feel it. I don't know why, but I just do. I'm Aeolthine, Aeolthine Ahlstedt. When Strom returns that leg will be mended." The princess would take full responsibility for the recovery of the fox even if it meant keeping the animal in her own room. There was no point in treating the wound if it couldn't be allowed to rest up, this is the argument she would bring to her father because he would find out one way or another Strom's mouth knew no boundaries like one of the hens loosening their lips throughout the castle. "I need to call you something," She affectionately touched the fox. "Fox won't do, how about Violet on the count of those pretty eyes? No, no that sounds plain and you are not plain in the least." She thought about it seriously. "Silny," After a bit she decided. "In the ancient Avongale language it means strong. You are strong from whatever you have been through. Yes, Silny will do. What do you think?" Aeolthine scratched gently the ears of the fox. The servants were watching her some relaxing and actually smiling while others had not grown used to an animal in the kingdom probably would never. "Minus," Aeolthine called out to the male servant her custody lie in.

"Yes your Highness?" He looked up from his work.

"Can I have a bowl of berries and water please?"

"Madam, surely you don't want to spoil your appetite before a much bigger meal."

"I'll be alright." She smiled. The man gave a nod of his head going about to put together what she asked of him.

"You must be thirsty," The princess spoke to the fox. "And hungry." She noticed the dressing had soaked through. By this time, Minus came with a bowl of fresh berries and a tin of water. He knelt to hand the items one by one to Aeolthine who thanked him. He nodded silently casting a weary look at the castle's guest before returning to his work. "Here you go." The heir offered first water then berries if the fox wanted any of it.

"Drat," Strom's voice echoed throughout the kitchen. He moved swiftly, confidently. In his gloved hands sat a small jar of green paste and in the other cloth bandages. "I had hoped it bled out by the time I returned."

Aeolthine frowned. "I wish someone would do away with your speech, you can go on unnecessarily."

"Hmprf," He approached the two. He handed the princess what she needed. "Bandages so you do not have to tear another piece of your garment." He stood back sternly.

"Thank you miserable man, hold still Silny-"

"Silny?" The master servant scoffed.

"Yes." The princess slowly removed the soiled cloth casting it aside. Strom just shook his head watchful. Aeolthine not only trained, she kept her head in the books learning about various plants their uses and of course the healing effects. She specialized in herbs, the paste to come from them andwhat did what. She wanted to be as helpful as she could. With a small amount of the paste on her fingers, she rubbed it into the wound tenderly the blood spilling did nothing to prevent her from caring for her patient. All along the wound, Aeolthine applied the paste until it was covered. Afterwards, she covered it to where it would not be too tight but not fall off at the same time. "You have to rest it," She warned Silny. "Otherwise it might break open."

"And rest it shall do away from the castle." Strom interrupted. The princess shot him a look. The man shook his head. "Highness, you cannot keep that which does not belong here. I am sure it has a home to return to once its injuries are healed. You know what your father will say."

"Do I?" Aeolthine replied. Truth be told, she hadn't a clue how her father might react. He might be angry, perhaps he would tell her the things Strom had. She may have sounded strange, but she would not allow Silny to roam away without healing first. Strom's words went in one ear and out the next. "Silny remains, that's all to it. I will have a talk with father later."

Strom let out a sigh.

The fox leaned further into her touch, starting to feel more relaxed. I have the protection of a princess right now, so at least that is going swimmingly. At least until she finds out who and what I am. Should I continue to pretend to just be a fox, or get the execution surely awaiting me over with? Oh, but I want to make sure my master's plans are foiled. He will rue the day he decided revenge was more dear to him than my life. This sorceress was certainly not one to trifle with; she had a cruel streak when it came to repaying slights. She just had to be in a normal, humanoid form to truly enact them, of course.

Her attention shifted up toward the princess, and the fox cocked her head to the side as she listened to her. When she had posed the question about her nodding, the fox decided to continue playing her dangerous game and gave another nod. While she felt alarmed by some of the castle staff and the man named Strom, she didn't feel a need to fear the princess. Even in this form, the woman was treating her with more respect than she had ever hoped to receive. If I remain at her heels like a faithful hound, she might continue to hold me in her good graces. Perhaps then I can attempt to explain my predicament to her. As far as I have seen, I believe she will be the only one to give me a chance to speak before piercing my heart with steel.

The sorceress tilted her head when Aeolthine introduced herself, quite amused by the fact that she was speaking to her as if she expected the fox to understand and comprehend what she was saying. Well, Princess Aeolthine, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Are you always this accommodating to stray sorceresses turned foxes She thought to herself, feeling her fox face, which she was still completely unused to, grin. Her amusement only grew when Aeolthine began to figure out what name to give her. You are far too correct there, my dear, Fox and Violet are too ordinary for one as magnificent as I. At least someone can recognize my true majesty. Silny, hm. The irony that you chose an ancient name that is close to my own is not lost on me. Very well, I shall deign to allow you to call me that The fox leaned her head into Aeolthine's hand, silently nodding her agreement.

Her ears perked at the thought of water and food. The water from the fountain had been dismal tasting, to say the least, and she was certainly starving after expending her energy on not only her duel with her master, but also her flight from their shared lodging. When the bowls were placed before her, the fox looked up at Aeolthine and gave her hand a light nudge with her nose as a signal of her gratitude. Then she promptly began to lap at the water, finding this to be much more to her liking than the fountain. Oh and the berries! For a small moment she was reminded of a simpler time, learning what berries were edible and which could be used for latent magical properties when her master was in one of his better moods. Those were days when she could occasionally even earn a smile.

The fox snapped her head up when she heard the entrance of the man she was most wary of, internally scoffing at his displeasure at finding the fox to be still alive. Don't worry, old man, I would live if only to spite you. At the princess's comment, the fox thought to herself that it was more than possible for that to be arranged. Fortunately for Strom, she was going to have far more to worry about than seeking retribution on him for his behavior toward her.

She grimaced when the cloth tied around her forelimb was removed, some of the blood having dried just enough that the action pulled on the wound and her fur. Her breathing was rather labored now, her rapid heart rate from the pain not helping with the amount of blood she had lost. The muscles throughout her lean form were tense beneath her coat of fur as Aoelthine applied the paste, the fox's ears pinned back and a soft keening sound escaping her. She had forgotten how painful injuries were! Silny cast her gaze between the two humans that were arguing about where she would be staying, but she couldn't fight to keep awake any longer. Everything was turning hazy for the fox, her body starting to drop of its own accord. The last of her strength spent, the little fox's body plopped down in the princess's lap.

T Tove

Maybe her imagination got the best of Aeolthine which had been known to happen when she was a child, of course, but the earlier feeling she experienced in the gardens returned to her. A most strange one, one she could not explain but the more sat huddled in the kitchen holding her guest talking and touching that fine fur, the princess felt as if every word from her mouth the one she named Silny could understand. She, however, kept these thoughts to herself already did some of those in the kitchen thought her mad for taking care of a wounded fox, more as she conversed and treated the terrible wound. Still, the heir couldn't help but feel a greater force at work. This reflected in her own dark eyes that lie hidden behind the feeling of protection. Perhaps she merely kid herself to think Silny gave her nod after her questions, that her words reached the ears of the violet-eyed one regardless the feeling did not go away nor would her newfound charge. It didn't matter what Strom wanted. The old man rolled his eyes at the fox, clear disdain on his face.

"That creature-"

"Silny," Aeolthine corrected him.

"Will be the death of us all," He frowned deeply when his eyes went to the face of the princess as her own dropped on the animal in her lap.

"Silny," Aeolthine scratched the fox's ears. The ordeal of tending to the wound was tiresome, she could feel her friend's weight all shifted in her lap. Aeolthine smiled. "Yes dear one, rest. You need not worry about a certain cantankerous old man." She shot Strom a look. The master servant frowned continuously.

"About time you change into something more appropriate for a princess in broad daylight wouldn't you agree?"

She nodded quietly. She handed the perplexed man the water and berries keeping a secure arm around Silny while putting one on the ground to help herself up all while not waking the fox. She didn't feel like answering any questions. Aeolthine escaped with Silny to her bedroom, Strom watched her go, the items still in his hands. Minus approached him.

"Sir?"

Strom lifted his chin thoughtfully, he handed the younger man the items rubbing his chin. Even after Aeolthine whisked Silny away, the man noticed something. The odd star-shaped patch of fur. "This is all strange..."

"What is?" Minus poundered though he received no answer only a stern look that told him he should get back to his work. As he did, the blend of foods reached a high in the kitchen taking a speeding course throughout the castle. Aeolthine entered her room to find her bed made and large velvet blue curtains were drawn up on the window blowing outward in the breeze of the day. Combined with the smell of the kitchen and the town below, her nose was assaulted in a good way, a way that made the princess hungry. Opening her chest with her foot, she took her scabbard belt off placing it inside. She checked on Silny in her movement to the wardrobe taking out any of her clothes to make into a makeshift bed on her bed. Aeolthine made it neat, connected clothes. Afterward she laid the fox down covering her lower body with the damask dark blue dress she wore last year. Aeolthine touched Silny's fur again.
"I won't be long Silny, I just need to change for the day," the princess let out a soft chuckle. "You wouldn't want to see me in my torn night clothes all day." She thought about what she would tell her father if she decided to tell him anything at all. At her wardrobe again, she picked out a dark red tafetta dress and everything to go with it.

A soft knock on the door brought a female servant only when Aeolthine gave greeting. "Highness, there's the bath drawn for you." Clearly the girl heard the tidbit about Silny because she eyed her several times.

"Thank you. Will you keep watch in my absence? Make sure no one causes a disturbance?"

The girl nodded sincerely. Aeolthine once more looked at Silny before she left the room. The girl stood in front of the double doors occasionally lifting her head to see the fox. She was unaware that someone watched her from behind a corner as they had done with the princess on her way to bathe and earlier this morning.

During the transition from the kitchen to the princess's chambers, the fox had remained asleep dreaming. The dreams were far from peaceful, the fears from when she was awake following her into Morpheus's realm.

Sayviel, in her human form, was surrounded by guards from the castle armed with swords to end her life. Her back was pressed to the wall, and she felt desperate enough to reach out with her magic to strike.

"If you kill them, you will be just as bad as me, Sayviel" the voice of her master taunted her. Fire was dancing on the sorceress's fingertips as she glared past the group of frightened common folk that were still standing their ground around the young woman.

"Then what am I supposed to do? They won't show me any mercy. Not even you did," she spat out venomously, still seeing no other way. This was the sort of gratitude she received for trying to warn the king. Maybe she should have just let her master do what he willed. Just as the thought crossed her mind, a feminine figure stepped between her and the guards. The woman couldn't see her face, but she felt she knew this woman.

"Trust, child. You have to learn to trust," her master's voice told her, the tone more akin to the one he used when she was younger and under his most gentle training.

The one currently dubbed Silny awakened when she was covered by the dress, violet eyes searching the room before looking up at brown eyes that made her freeze in place. Her heart had already been beating an accelerated pace, but she found that the light touches to her fur were helping it slow down. Her dream we still rather vivid in her mind, and the fox was still skeptical. Yes, she could probably convince the princess to help her in saving the king, but after that? She was going to be as good as dead once the king was safe. All magic users had a bounty on their head, and she doubted heavily that it would make a single difference that she would be sparing the King's life. She had been, after all, his brother's apprentice.

Trust, right, because that has turned out so well. I will likely see an end to my life if there is an end to my usefulness, so I had better make sure that I continue to be exceptionally useful. They won't kill me if they need me.

She nodded her head to Aeolthine in understanding when she said she wouldn't be gone long, her gaze moving to the girl instructed to be her guardian. Even you, princess, that have been quite kind and doting to me while I have been in this form. You'll change your tune when you know the truth. When I cease being a pet and become a person..you'll look at me in a completely different way. Her heart twinged at the thought; the warm affection she had been receiving had felt so nice. Was it really fair that she had been denied such simple things due to the circumstances of her birth, to be punished for living? She scoffed at her weakness; thoughts and feelings like that had been what got her in this predicament in the first place. Her weakness for not wanting her master to become the very thing that he had hated.

As she laid there, she heard a sound that was curious. It was taking some time to become acclimated with her enhanced hearing, but she was beginning to pick out the distance for most sounds. Her ears perked up a little more, and the fox slowly began to rise from where she had been lying. She winced when she was on the ground, favoring her leg as she limped toward the the corner where the source of the sound was. Foe now she knew she was under Aeolthine's protection, so she was not the least bit fearful of having to face her death at the end of a sword. Yet, at least.

The temporary guardian over Silny turned her head several times to be see as the fox rested before facing the hallway again. Her position near the double doors of Aeolthine's room placed in stone, the princess had made a request of her and nothing would get in the way of it. As if feeling eyes on her, the young girl's head moved sharply at the corner where she thought the noise derived from. Her forehead creased, one eyebrow lifted ever so lightly. She noticed not a single thing except the knights at the far end of the hall leaving for a change in position, usually there was a ten to twenty minute window during this time. It was like any other day. These knights were on watch from the late previous evening on up until now when they would switch with others who would be coming shortly. The girl had watched the princess go into the washroom. Hearing a noise behind her, she turned into the room to find Silny moving. A bit alarmed, she took a side step curious and unknowing whether she should even attempt to touch the animal. On the other hand if something were to happen, be it the creature was hurt, her lady would not be pleased. She followed after Silny. Around the corner stood a woman, another servant the girl assumed. She smiled. The woman, however, with long brown hair and striking green eyes feigned a smile as she gave the illusion she cleaned a fixture. Her eyes first absorbed Silny. Green burned into violet before moving onto the girl. When the woman spoke a hint of a rough accent filled the air, she took a step away. "An animal in the castle, oh heavens above." She pretended as if it bothered her.

"No, mistress tis her ladyship's."

"The princess with a fox," The woman held her nose up at Silny. "How unbecoming, what would King Reynald think?" The way the king's name slipped off her tongue it dripped with malice. She eyed the fox again. "Such a thing sounds as bad as magic." The young girl had no idea what she was talking about, she wouldn't know. It read all over her face to which the false servant woman sneered.

"You would not know anything about that now would you little one," She glared at Silny now. "Animals being treated better than those with the mark, what a great and benevolent king we have. He has watched his child grow while I and others...." She spoke no other words. The memories may have been too strong, whatever the case her bottom lip trembled. "He shall know what pain feels like when I take from him what he cherishes most. Move you damnable creature!" The woman shouted at Silny. She forced herself at the servant girl, clearly the stronger of the two. Her fist curled back, she knocked the poor servant girl directly in the face with enough force to send her against the ground unconscious. Her malicious intent was precise as if she planned for something like this. Considering the girl the more dangerous of the two, the woman brandished a dagger to which she permanently silenced the servant with a clean cut to the neck. She turned her attention to the fox. "Don't think you are safe, my child was shown no mercy-"

"Silny....?" Aeolthine stood at the other end of the hall in the dark red tafetta dress. Confusion on her face at what she was witnessing from the dead servant girl to the vengeful woman wielding the bloody dagger about to attack the fox. The princess interrupted the course of violence. "Who are you?" She couldn't be sure if Brigitte was dead but all along the carpet surrounding the body lie the crimson liquid. She had seen blood, but never this much. Panic nearly set in. The urge to cry out would help nothing. "Did you do this?" She demanded another question of the laughing woman.

"Child, you need not know my name and if you must know yes I did. I killed this insignificant wretch, what do you intend to do about it?"

Aeolthine grimaced. "What madness has you to kill someone like so?"

"She was in the way," The woman shrugged. "Not that it matters. You are what I want, with your death your father will know what it feels like to lose everything."

"What?"

"Of course you wouldn't know you brat."
What did she not know? Aeolthine wondered, obviously this woman held contempt toward her father but the reason was unknown. It was something great, great enough for her to kill. When she had come from the washroom, the knights were on a switch the replacements had yet to come. So many thoughts ran through her mind, the biggest that she had to protect Silny. Despite having never encountered a foe before nor experienced the throes of battle, Aeolthine would fight. She couldn't go near her room where her rapier was. She, remembering Strom's words once, had to make use of her surroundings. Any delayed second meant closer to defeat. Her eye caught two vases on a fixture. Making a grab at them, the princess would keep one whole to use as a distraction and the other she broke seizing the largest most jagged piece to use as a dagger. She kept her eyes on her enemy, the woman's lips twisting in a taunt of a smile. Aeolthine would be frightened to end another's life but she wouldn't let harm come to Silny nor herself.

I'm coming Silny.

Last edited:
At first the fox had relaxed a little at the servant that she had found, relieved that perhaps she was just being overly cautious due to her paranoia over her master's plans. That relief was short lived when the woman's eyes met hers, agitation taking its place. Who was this woman to look at her with such disdain, the fox's ears pinning back when she turned her nose at her. Why she was much..

The woman's comment regarding magic struck the fox, her eyes widening as all previous thoughts ceased. Her heart beat began to increase at the malevolence oozing from this woman, and the fox's hackles began to rise. This line of talk was growing more dangerous by the moment, and something was dangerously off about this woman.

Oh. It all snapped in to place when the woman inferred that her child had been born with the mark and subsequently killed. Oh no! She wants to kill Aeolthine!

She wanted to help the servant girl, but the fox was in too much shock to move at first. Her impulse had been to reach within herself for her magic, her familiar constant, only to feel cold at its silence. The main source of her defense had been stolen from her; the fox only had her teeth and her claws now to serve as weapons. Her violet gaze moved to the girl lying dead at her feet. I'm sorry, she thought with remorse before hearing the threat hissed at her. The fox swallowed her fear and remorse, baring her teeth at the woman who was planning to end the life of only the second person to have shown her kindness in this world. No. She wasn't going to let anything happen to that girl if there was anything that she could do about it.

The sound of Aeolthine calling out the name she had given her made the fox's heart drop. No, don't come out looking for me, she pleaded in her thoughts, dismayed that this was exactly what the princess was doing. The girl even had the nerve to question the mad woman wielding a dagger. Is common sense something that just doesn't run in this family, she internally questioned, small body still bristled as she tried to position herself between the two women. Sayviel heard the princess sound confused, and it took a moment for it to sink in. She had no clue at all what was going on in the kingdom when it came to those born with the mark. How could she be so sheltered as to not know that every year so many innocent lives were snuffed out for no wrong of their own?

In all honesty, Sayviel felt immense sympathy for the woman. I wonder if my own mother was so driven to despair after she left me in the forest rather than handing me over to the king. Would she rejoice if she knew that I had been spared? Or had she done it just to absolve herself of the guilt of knowing that she would be handing me over to certain murder? She also felt a great hatred for the king, but she understood something that both this woman and her master seemed to not grasp due to their pain.

Doing this will not help your child. It will not bring him or her back, and in fact, you will be doing a disservice to those born with this mark for generations to come. Yes, killing the princess will cause the king great anguish. But where do you think he will focus his fury? This will only give further justification that we are a threat, that he was right to have us eradicated. She risked her identity to speak telepathically to the woman, her voice a smooth alto with a slight, cultured tone that she had learned from her royal master.

We will be just as dastardly if we strike out against their innocent children. So even though I know that death will be swift to be visited upon me should someone know of what I am..I'm afraid that I must keep you from hurting her.

She glanced back behind her to look at the princess for a second, her heart racing in her chest. My dream said to trust, right?

Aeolthine straightened her shoulders, Strom's words from earlier this morning coming into her mind. "Keep your shoulders straight, defense is important too never forget that lest you want a sword through you." She would never forget, one false movement and it would be all over. Already had the woman killed Brigitte, a girl weighing less than the princess. She had the strength on her along with any set of tricks to turn the tide, but Aeolthine was no damsel in distress not by a long shot. She would not make this fight easy, her true goal to defend and if need be attack. The next knights would take their position soon, they would most likely destroy her though she could see in the woman's eyes she prepared for that. She had nothing to lose, what had happened the girl thought, what had her father done? She could see Silny from the corner of her eye. What filled her ears was that of the woman, her bitter laughter at Aeolthine attempting to defend herself and her naivety.

"As you lay dying I will tell you what you clearly do not know young one," The woman readied her body to charge, however she never closed the distance between she and the princess. Fate intervened, no, Sayviel. The woman Ruel's green eyes widened as she slowly faced the fox, Aeolthine too. Time seemed to stop leaving them at a standstill in the quiet hallway, the princess the most confused as her dark eyes watched the hall grown dark. She was left alone with Silny and the woman, a cloud of violent energy spilled from the broken-hearted mother. The princess could not fathom what she experienced what happened could not be explained. It was something out of a nightmare. Suddenly she heard a very distinctive feminine voice clear as a spring day. The echoes of it spun around Aeolthine calmly unknowingly yet it held some unexplained familiarity. The woman? She thought, no, not her malice-laced voice seething with everything hateful. This was a bit more smooth, in her opinion, one without agenda therefore it could not be the woman. The conclusion came when seeing Ruel the adversary frowning at Silny, her lips never moved. So...

No...

Silny...?
It could not be, it was madness.
Silny did not speak. It was impossible! Aeolthine let go of her makeshift weapons, the whole vase fell yet no sound followed. It was the same with false dagger. Both fell in the overwhelming darkness. It was Silny, Silny spoke. Aeolthine tried to wrap her head around but the conversation put a halt to it. Something told her she should listen, she might find out more clues. Her feeling returned.

"You," Ruel's voice filled their space. She conversed without opening her mouth with Sayviel. "I knew there was something strange about you, those eyes. Clever, only one adept in magic could pull off such trickery. Falling under a careful disguise of an animal to get closer to the royal family. Why did I not think of that? You certainly had the advantage." Aeolthine listened on, her form trembling, how could any of this be? What in the hell was happening?

"False creature, who ever you claim to be do not speak to me about my child as if you would know the joy of carrying life in your womb." Ruel, still with her dagger, managed to touch her stomach fondly and briefly. A moment of tranquility tugged at her harded face yet vanished as quickly as it came. The princess felt wounded mentally. "The happiness of seeing that life born and agony when said life is destroyed before it even had a chance to grow. My son deserved a chance! I want the king to know this pain. I want him to remember as he held his daughter as a babe, dried her tears, all those precious moments will never be because of his hand! A daughter for a son." Ruel stared at Aeolthine, the truth partial. Her father took this woman's child. What reason did he have? No words she could say would give her peace, the woman wanted her dead. She remained silent to the rage of a angry mother and Silny trying to talk her into standing down, to not continue with her revenge.

But where do you think he will focus his fury? This will only give further justification that we are a threat, that he was right to have us eradicated.

Us? We?

Moreover, what Silny said earlier. Those born with this mark, what mark? Everything meant something even without all the answers being cleared up.

Ruel grinned at Sayviel. "You have known prejudices I take it. Our stories are drastically different though they flow into the same bank, knowing this you would risk yourself for what reason? Bite the girl's neck, conceal what you are. Do you think by some chance she won't tell her father and you still stand in my way, for what earthly reason?! The time of magic is nigh! No longer will the persecuted be slaughtered!" The princess caught Silny's look holding it with her own.

In spite of everything, she made a vow. Silny was still under her protection. No harm would come to the fox nor would she allow the malevolent woman to hurt her. All the answers were not complete, but for right now they would have to stay that way. The woman planned to kill them both in order to fill her blackened heart. Ruel lunged at Silny. At this time the darkness faded away, Aeolthine noticed the hallway returned as it was and the battle commenced. The princess took a deep breath. She reached for the whole vase. One of the squire boys engaged her in a game of ball once. He showed her how he kicked it far and she picked up on it. Without a lot of time, Aeolthine kicked the vase on the tip of her toe sending it at Ruel as a distraction. The ornament struck her in the side of the head with an audible sound. It sent her backward, away from Silny for a short spell. The only way for them to overcome this would be to kill the woman.

While pleased that she had provided a momentary distraction, perhaps buying the princess a few extra, precious seconds, that relief began to dissipate as she realized that she had made a grave error. This was only the second confrontation that the sorceress had been in, and her talents were less refined and controlled than a more seasoned caster would have had. As such, she realized that she had broadened her voice into the minds of both people close to her, not just the woman at her front. Her stomach turned when she became aware that now she had, in fact, made the princess aware that she was something other than a simple fox. That death that she had been a distant phantom was going to be closing in. Her heart was racing and she felt like the walls were beginning to close in around her, her vision growing slightly fuzzy at the edges.

No, focus she snapped at herself, trying to pull her fracturing senses together. She could fall apart later; this sacrifice would be all for naught if the princess perished. The fox puffed herself up a little more when the woman began to speak to her, trying desperately to find a way to avoid bloodshed. Once more the fox was filled with sympathy, the woman's words striking a guilt that she had buried deep within herself. How many babies had been slain while she had lived? Didn't they all have the right to see the life that laid before them? She would have been just another scratch on the tally if her master's familiar had not spotted her when he did, if it had been a natural bear to pick the baby up in its jaws.

You're correct that I do not know the loss of a child; I do, however, know the keen pining for a family that was forced to be parted from me. I have no love for the king, and I truly understand your anger..but if you do this then you will doom us to a cycle of violence that shall never see an end. Yes, I know that she will most likely turn me over to her father, but this woman was kind when others were not. There have been precious few who have shown with such a light, who are gifted with mercy..I will allow this cursed body to be broken before I see that light snuffed out.

All hopes that reasoning would work were dashed; this woman was too blinded by her sorrow and rage to properly listen to anything resembling a peaceful solution. More than likely the only way she would truly obtain peace would be in the grave; vengeance was a hollow victory. The fox saw her lunge forward at her and felt her muscles contracting at anticipation of the blow. A blow that never came. The vase colliding with her head bought Sayviel a moment to regroup at the princess's side.

I hope that you are as handy with makeshift weapons as you are with a rapier, Aeolthine. If we work in tandem, we might live to the see the closing of the day. Be ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

And try to make it quick; she has suffered enough. There was sorrow to her voice, the sorceress-fox truly feeling for the woman's plight. She lowered her body a bit, readying to use what little arsenal she had to strike.

Aeolthine knew the risk. She weighed all the options as best she could with the time she was given and it had been her decision to use the whole vase as a distraction, to kick it as far and precise as possible without knowing full well whether it would strike her target or not. It didn't matter, time had been of the essence with Silny's life on the line. Immense pain exploded from the moment her toe connected to the vase sending it propelling at Ruel, she grimaced secretly, biting her tongue knowing and understanding what the sacrifice meant. Injury to herself, to the toe. The bone must've shattered, it did not feel pleasant and when she brought her long leg down Aeolthine staggered just a second. It was a small price to pay.

The mother in mourning tumbled backward dropping her own dagger and falling over the body of Brigitte distracted enough to reunite the princess with her companion. "Agh..." Ruel moaned from the other side. The attack clearly had not been one she expected. The ornament hit her rather hard enough to open a wound thst seeped blood. She was lying grounded and stunned trying to gather her shattered wits together uttering words in her own language. Aeolthine looked at Sayviel. Her mind was thrust into connection with the one once thought to be a mere fox yet the violet-eyed one proved to be much more. Questions birth and died in the mind of King Reynald's daughter, as much as she wanted to ask the most pertinent one, what the hell was happening, the time wasn't theirs. Aeolthine's other slipper covered foot stretched underneath the vase dagger lifting it into the air where she caught it.

"I am Silny," Wait, that probably wasn't the right name to call her. The princess concluded the fox as female by her obvious smooth voice. What was her name anyway? Now it came to her, she had not imagined the fox nodding her head. That one had understood everything Aeolthine spoke, heard her clearly. "I will." Put an end to the woman's suffering, rob someone of their life. By no means was she ready to do this and anger swelled up within her to be placed in this position. She blamed her father. When and if she saw him again, Aeolthine would demand he tell her the truth. All of it.

The princess watched from afar when the woman rose to her feet. If looks could kill both the heir and Sayviel would be dead where they stood. Without taking too much time, Ruel retrieved her dagger keeping her hollow eyes on the two of them. Her mind ran paces ahead, searching for a weakness anything to be exploited to her advantage. The fox had a bandaged wound on the foreleg that was one and her eyes shifted to Aeolthine. The way she stood, there was something about the way she stood. Ruel was thoughtful. A quick glance down brought her eyes on the whole vase rolled to the side. Is that what the princess had hit her with? Thrown? The bereaved mother cast a look on Aeolthine again. The princess was careful on her right foot standing on her sole now as she undid a piece of her dress to wrap around the makeshift dagger for extended use. The foot, Ruel grinned. The woman's head shook from side to side, her wound bled profusely yet it did not stop her. She soon took off after Aeolthine and her sorceress companion, a maddening scream leaving her mouth. The princess stood her ground, she waited. She steeled her body placing one arm behind her back and the other stretched out in front with her dagger in place. This was not what she wanted, not at all. The burden of being responsible for one's death. Closer and closer Ruel came until she was on them. Their daggers connected evenly forcing the older and younger woman to draw back and attempt a break in the defense by trying to gut the other. It didn't work. Their weapons connected once again and again. Sayviel's words echoed in the ears of the princess, make it quick the woman had suffered enough. Dodging back, she avoided a clear strike to the neck. Ruel wasn't giving up. The mother seized the opportunity to send a foot out hoping to connect with the fox's body. A grand move to take the attention from the princess.

"Silny!"

Ruel slammed a foot on Aeolthine's toe adding to the already pain she felt. In this moment, the woman elbowed her in the nose intending to stab her but Aeolthine recovered curling one of her hands in a fist sending an equal strength punch in the woman's face. Not letting down from the stunned woman as it would be foolish to do so the King's daughter saw her opening. Her dagger embedded deep in Ruel's exposed neck tearing through flesh. Blood shot out and on not only her the vengeful mother too, the victim's lips opened in surprise blood leaking out on them. Pulling the weapon out sent spatter on the wall and the princess's eyes widened. She had struck her. She felt worthless. Guard lowered, her hands could not stop trembling and on them lie the blood of the woman she just attacked.
She felt as if she had been accosted.
Spitting up more blood, Ruel covered the new wound with her hand dropping her dagger with the other. Turning she hit the princess in the chest with a free fist. The wind escaped Aeolthine's lungs. She fell back and on the floor coughing harshly. Overhead, Ruel stumbled the blood loss too great it wasn't long before she too fell beside the heir. The last of her life draining fast.

With a mouth of blood, she spoke. "Finish it,"
She meant take her life. Still coughing, Aeolthine secured her own false blade. Teeth clenched, she reluctantly stabbed Ruel again feeling her weapon stick. The woman inhaled deeply the further the weapon went. "Ziscra..." The name left her mouth. A short smile tugged at her lips.

"My handsome Ziscra...." The expel of breath left her lifeless shortly after. Aeolthine struggled to find her own breath. She killed someone. She actually killed someone. Her wide eyes traveled on the weapon she held onto, the blood oozing out onto the carpet, Silny, all of it. Deep inside her something stirred in the pit of her stomach. "I can't breathe. I can't breathe," Finally releasing the jagged vase dagger, the princess shut her eyes tightly screaming. The sheer force brought out wind swirling knocking fixtures over and uprooting carpet. The two replacement knights, late to their switch, had mounted the stairs in the hall when they looked at one another hearing the scream. Immediately, they took off in the direction of it.

The screaming went through the entire castle, even down to the kitchen where Strom oversaw things. Glasses broke, dishes toppled over. The male's glasses even slid low on his face.

"Aeolthine!" He shouted, he'd recognize her scream anywhere. His mind went to the fox, it had done something to her. If it had, whatever deity anyone believed in had better pray she survived unless they wanted the wrath of the king upon them all. The kitchen became chaotic, servants not sure what to do. The old man then moved swiftly snatching knives from the table they sat upon. Not a replacement for a sword, he knew, but they would do for what he had in mind.

This was not what she had thought would be in store for her when she had visited her master's study the night before, the crackling sensation of magic crawling over her skin and drawing her to it. She had thought that perhaps he would be able to teach her a new craft of magic then she would retire for the night, sleeping soundly on her bed made of straw with animal pelts providing the much needed softness. Instead, she had endured an arcane battle with her master, had her body shifted to that of a beast, and now faced a woman bereft of everything that had mattered to her. Truly, the divines did not favor her this day, and she hoped that this did not become a recurrent development. At least it seemed that the princess was willing to work with her for now and seemed to be holding herself together quite well. It was impressive, in fact, that the girl was not hesitating or freezing like Sayviel had during her introduction to combat. Her voice, when she responded to Sayviel, was even and calm in the face of such fury. I believe that I may have underestimated her just a little.

Her attention was returned to Ruel as she staggered to her feet, fear surging to the surface once more. If that dagger gained purchase on her small body, she knew it would most likely be fatal given how much blood she had already lost from her wound. But that fear would not deter her from assisting the princess. More than just repaying a debt was lying on the line, and Sayviel never allowed herself to fail anything before. She wasn't going to start now. Ears pinned back and fur bristled, the fox watched the woman's charge. Her scream struck a visceral cord within the sorceress, and her breath caught for a moment. The rage and despair rolling off this woman, the agony in her scream, it was like a physical blow to the fox. Once she began to control her breathing again, the fox watched the exchange between the two women. They were equally matched when it came to strict skill, it seemed, and Sayviel began trying to flank Ruel. If she could just get her teeth into her leg, trip her up a little then it would make this much easier for the princess. And ultimately be a less painful end for Ruel.

Just as she had positioned herself to be able to reach the woman's leg, it struck out and connected with her body. A pained yelp escaped the fox, her thin body skidding a few feet from the force. Her vision was swimming from the pain, the fox just lucky that she hit her shoulder rather than her face. A broken muzzle, which would translate to a broken nose when she finally returned to her human form, would certainly not heal perfectly. Being the vain woman that she was, that would be a catastrophe.

She shook her head, blinking away the spots that were in her vision as she clamored to her feet. By the time she had raced back to rejoin the Aeolthine, the battle was at a close. She watched Ruel as she lay dying, her throat feeling thick and dry.
A dark part of her mind whispered that perhaps her master had been right. Didn't this woman deserve to have justice? Why was it fair that the king was able to enjoy living peacefully with his daughter while a baby was doomed to die because of powers it would eventually inherit? Didn't she also deserve justice, denied all of the comforts of a true family and love just because of a mark for being divinely blessed?

No. As much as I wish to visit retribution on that man, too many would be put at stake for doing so. Those not understanding our pain would just label us as monsters, continuing the murder of babes with renewed vengeance.

For the second time in a span of a few moments, the fox found herself being knocked back. It was not by a physical blow, however, but rather by the wind created from..Aeolthine's scream?! The fox at first stared with wide eyes at the princess, her body humming from the power radiating off the young woman. What was this?

Aeolthine!She cried, claws scratching where there had been carpet as she raced back to the princess. First she needed to get the girl calmed down before she accidentally killed someone when they would inevitably investigate why the heir was screaming. Aeolthine, listen to me. Breathe. It will be all right The fox pressed her head against her hands, ignoring the blood that was coating her previously pristine fur. Just breathe

King Reynard had not be remiss in noting that the anniversary of his brother's banishment was swiftly approaching. While he hoped that his brother had perished a quick, painless death in his banishment..the younger brother had always been the stronger of the two. They were both very stubborn, unmovable once they had decided on a path. And the path of a magic free kingdom was exactly what Reynard had deemed for himself, regardless of the amount of innocent blood on his hands. It would be better than the countless lives inevitably ended when magic corrupted those children, turned them from sweet babies to arcane wielding demons. He had been reviewing reports on sparse magical activity when the glass perched on his desk shattered. And then he heard his daughter's scream. The man was not at his peak any more, quite graying from all of the stress and strain of running a kingdom and trying to ensure his daughter never found out about magic, but he moved quite swiftly to go find his daughter.

What he saw when he arrived made him take a step back. Two bodies coated in blood were at Aeolthine's feet, her hands and dressed also stained with the red liquid. The carpet had been torn from the floor, paintings were scattered, even sconces had been ripped from the wall from the force of the wind she had unwittingly created. And there at her side was a black fox, solid in hue except for a small patch of white fur. From his angle, he couldn't clearly see the mark. His gaze moved back to his daughter, his heart seizing in fear.

"Aeolthine! What happened?" he asked, immediately moving to her to make sure that she was well. After losing her mother, Aeolthine was all that he had left.

She had killed someone, Princess Aeolthine Ahlstedt tainted her once pure hands with the blood of another living soul. She could be the only one held accountable no matter how much she tried to defend it in her mind it came back to the same conclusion: she ended a woman's life. A mother, perhaps someone's wife or daughter, friend. The future with those people, if the woman came from a background as such, was irretrievably lost all at Aeolthine's hands.

She could argue she did it to defend the life of Silny and even her own and was mournful but at the darkest recess of her being she did it because she wanted to live, she had more she needed and wanted to do. She saw Silny's face, that of her father and Strom everyone who influenced her life. She was selfish, but was that not a trait of humanity?

Over and over, Ruel's eyes haunted her. The words the woman spoke and the name one could only assume as her son spoken in a fleeting moment of clarity. A son she would be reunited with in death. Had she wanted this all along? When understanding her defeat did she take it strongly fueled by the notion she would see her child in the after life?
The answers died with the woman and unable to take what she had done, Aeolthine screamed. Unbeknownst to the heir, the stirring within brought forth a faint defiance. In her head, that defiance a careless whisper smooth like silk was only too pleased to be released triggering what lied dormant since the birth of the princess. The result, a burst of wind leaving some destruction in its wake. Aeolthine's eyes shut tightly. It was as if she could see herself suspended in an everlasting darkness brought on by her crime.

Suddenly hands, plenty of them, reached out to choke her. She couldn't breathe. "I can't breathe," Once more the princess cried. What came naturally was stripped away and had become a commodity too great for her at the moment. And then, she heard her name. Someone called her name.

Silny, the princess realized. "Silny! I'm here!" The shrouded in darkness heir struggled to free herself from hands around her neck. It mattered not what name she referred to the fox as, she needed that comfort. Aeolthine did not want to be alone. The fox's voice told her to listen, to breathe as though the heir had permission. One by one the hands left her neck vanishing in the embrace of darkness leading Aeolthine to follow the soothing voice and gradually breathe. When Sayviel touched her hands, the princess opened her eyes with a start her world or normalcy returning. Immediately she followed the voice in her head to the one with the violet eyes, her bloody hands ran over equally bloody fur and sitting up the young woman continued to touch her companion. Around them, it appeared like a fit of a storm had been let loose to do as it pleased and the servants would be quite vexed at the work ahead of them. It was strange so was what the king's daughter experienced. Every breath brought her closer and closer to being calm, but Ruel's body would not let her forget. That cold, lifeless expression. Brigitte was not far away caught up in plot unwillingly.

"Silny..." Aeolthine massaged the fox's ears remembering the yelp when the woman kicked her. It was horrifying to hear just as the thought her father was responsible for the death of someone's child.

"Thank you." She kept close to the fox it felt comforting. The princess jumped when a voice she should recognize called out her name. Her father. He was at the hallway end where knights should have been, the replacements arrived shortly after the revered man taken aback too by what they saw and feeling guilty. The scene wasn't pleasant, whatever took place they woukd be held responsible. Their eyes ran over to make sure the King was not injured. Aeolthine's eyes fell on her father's, in him she could see part of herself and the little girl in her wanted to run to him to bury her face in his chest.

She did not.

Aeolthine, as she stroked Silny, wondered if Ruel knew that her words would drive a rift between the her and her father, maybe the woman counted on it. She hadn't a clue what was going on. She did take Silny in her arms pressing her at angle where she could be protected and comforted. It was under the assumption she might turn her over to her father though the princess just kept her companion close and unintentionally hid the mark at the approach of the concerned man. She avoided his eyes.

"That woman," She spoke in reference to Ruel. "She killed Brigitte and she tried to kill us..." The knights knew not what to make of the mess. At the other end of the hall, Strom's audible "Goodness gracious." Filled the air. "My word..." The old man had the knives in his hands prepared to fight like the most skilled of knights. He did not get the chance because the battle was already over. His stern eyes took in the bodies, Aeolthine, and the unsightly hall. His jaw tightened. Beneath those glasses, his eyes became hollow. At the thought of any of the royal family put in harm's way brought to the surface the man he had once been. More than a simple master servant a time ago, Strom had committed heinous acts in the name of his king. The things he would take to his grave. The man was furious at first assuming the fox had done something. His thumbs ran along the silver blade of each knife certain they were sharp enough as some skin of his fingers came away. He planned to skin the animal alive until he saw the princess holding it, rubbing her hands through the bloody fur. His anger subsided to be able to listen to reason.

"Highness," He bowed to King Reynard. "Princess....what happened?"

Aeolthine looked down. She repeated again what she told her father. "That woman killed Brigitte, she tried to kill Silny and myself," Strom's face turned a sheet white. The princess looked at her father, warmth did not touch her face. It took everything in her power not to say what she needed, to demand the truth from him.

"A spy?" Strom bellowed. "In the castle?" He angrily turned to the knights. "Where were you two?"

"We were late sir...."

"Rid us of your repugnant presence at once!" The master servant screamed. They hung their heads low. "Have you any idea what could have happened because of your stupidity?!" Strom also blamed himself. He would, if the King did not, punish himself adequately later. About to berate the two knights once more, the princess spoke up.

"I killed her, I ended her life."

The aura she felt from Aeolthine was chaotic, to put it mildly. It felt like a skin of water that had been puncture, immense pressure gushing out at once. Never had Sayviel been in the presence of another magic user besides her master, so she wasn't completely sure of how to best help Aeolthine. All she could think to do was treat her how she had wished her master had, with a little more gentleness and understanding rather than a gruff distance. A memory danced into her mind of when Sayviel's magic had truly taken its form.

"I want to see my family, Reginald. There has to be someone in the town who knows of a family that was lost in these mountains; I'm sure that they could point me in the right direction." Her tone was stern, the thirteen year old's bearing tall and confident in her ability to survive going to the next town. Frustration was welling up in the older man that had taken in the child; why couldn't she just accept the answers he had given her?

"Your family wouldn't claim you. And you wouldn't make it very far into a village."

The young girl raised her chin in defiance. "I am quite capable of fending for myself along the way. You have shown me how to forage, and I know to be wary of predators, both human and beast."

"They would kill you on sight." His words were staccato, each one striking her in the chest with much force. Killed on sight? Her confusion must have shown clearly for the man continued, "The mark you bear on your chest as clear as day? The same as the one on my forearm? We have been given the gift of magic, girl, and that makes us criminals. Living is punishable by death."

"But..my family.."

"They discarded you in the forest where I found you." His voice was so matter of fact that it only made the pain worse. "Families will only abandon you when you need them most; you are best off without one."

The girl stepped back from her mentor, the only person she knew, her head spinning at this news. Now she knew why he refused to allow her to ever speak to another person when they saw caravans go by, why they had to live as far away from civilization as possible, why they starved when there was food to be had if they could just go to the town to buy supplies..all because of something she was born with. She didn't ask for this blessing! The anger she felt, the righteous fury of being denied a decent life and a family through no fault of her own, welled up inside of her. Her skin began to feel warm despite the fact that the pair were currently standing in snow, or at least they had been. The snow around Sayviel had begun to melt around her feet, leaving her standing in a puddle of water that was beginning to evaporate as well. Her hands clenched into fists, her breathing labored. Each breath let out a grey smoke rather than the white puffs she had previously been exhaling.

When the flames burst forth, her master had to scramble out of the way and start an incantation to contain her magic. "Strike outward, Sayviel. Don't internalize or you'll kill yourself. Once you are calm again, it'll go away." And he left her to vent her emotions alone.

Blinking back the memory, Sayviel inhaled deeply. No, she certainly didn't want Aeolthine to have to figure things out on her own with little direction. At the call once more of her name, the fox kept a level tone to her voice. I'm here, Aeolthine. I'll protect you just as you protected me. She had closed her eyes and pressed further into the young woman's hands, enjoying the feeling of having her ears pet so thoroughly. The relaxation that had started taking over her small body immediately ceased when she heard a male voice call out in the hall way. Her violet eyes stared at the owner of the voice, scrutinizing him in interest of self-preservation. His stature didn't strike her as being physically threatening, the man favoring his left leg when he walked. At the very least, Sayviel could out run him even with her injured leg. His eyes, however, similar in color to the princess's but far less warm and welcoming, reminded her of her master when he surveyed the scene with a cool detattachment. Her thoughts were derailed when she was lifted into Aeolthine's armed, the fox instinctively nestling her head against the heir's neck to maintain a physical connection with her. While she was much calmer now, Sayviel was certain a storm was still brewing beneath the surface. Any comfort and support she could offer would likely be beneficial.

King Reynard was far from tolerant of failure, especially of his knights when it came to the safety of his daughter. The man turned to the knights that had appeared, seething with anger but keeping an iron grasp on it. He would punish the knights later, Strom as well for not having kept a better eye on those getting close to Aeolthine.

When Strom bowed his head to the man and addressed him as a member of the royal family, her heart began to hammer in her chest. Oh no. The king! He was alive, at least, but the last thing she wanted was to be face to face with him now! And now the princess knew that she was more than a simple fox! Perhaps she had lifted her in her arms to better hand her over to the man. Panic began to set in, and the primal part of her brain instructed her to flee as fast as she could. Just forget her original task and let everyone else fend for themselves. She swallowed though it did nothing for the thick, choking sensation in her throat.

She couldn't do that. Terrified and beginning to shake in the princess's arms, she knew she couldn't abandon this young woman who had just killed someone to help protect her life. No doubt she was going to need someone soon, when she would feel the call of the magic once more, and she didn't want Aeolthine to go through that alone if the choice was hers to make. No one deserved that. Sayviel pressed her shaking body against Aeolthine and closed her eyes, waiting for the inevitable end.

King Reynard looked to Strom on his approach. "Have this mess cleaned up then we shall speak in my study. I want a catalogue of everyone in this castle so this cannot happen again." His gaze moved to the knights, his voice a steel blade as he gave them their orders. "You will stand guard tonight then I will deal with you first thing in the morning."

When he turned back to his daughter, the man became more gentle in his words. "I'm sorry, Aeolthine, you shouldn't have had to have this weigh on your conscience. You did well defending yourself..and your new pet." That was going to be another discussion that he was going to push back. Aeolthine was traumatized, and he wasn't going to take away her new pet when she could use the comfort. Why she had a fox instead of a dog like an average child was rather curious. Aeolthine had always been unconventional, so it shouldn't have struck him as so surprising.

"Are you hurt in any physical way? Did she say anything to you?" It never occurred to Reynard that someone would attack his daughter for what he was doing. He was saving the people from their children, after all, and they should be grateful to him. He noted the coldness on her face as he took a place by her side, looking for wounds. Rather than take it as anger toward him, he chalked it up to the woman disassociating to deal with the guilt and trauma she had endured.

It was hard to imagine, hard to wrap her head around the doubt slowly violating her heart when it came to the only man she loved unconditionally. Everything happened so abruptly taking the princess in a spin leaving her in the wake of her first kill and more questions than answers while she herself was faced with questions pertaining to the unseemly event. Within her, the young woman felt a certain dread she had never felt before like a line was crossed from which there could not be a return. Is this what the knights felt when they headed for battle, forced to kill all in the name of her father and the kingdom? Did they think about the ramifications of their actions, what ending a life meant for those left behind? Aeolthine thought about it all sitting there with Silny tucked in her arms and the harsh storm of change became a dismal after thought and the foursome of men clearly tried to understand what occurred.

Only Silny and Aeolthine knew the answers, the reason for Brigitte's death and Ruel's assassination attempt. Aeolthine noticed quite vividly Silny's shaking body in her arms. Looking down at her companion, the princess wondered how selfish she had been putting her own worries ahead to wallow in obscure thoughts. What about Silny? How did this effect her, something common connected she and the slain woman something to do with her father. What the case might be, she was left to wonder if the fox's shaking body had anything to do with her father, the king. Aeolthine had seen his anger at a minimum, sometimes on his face and especially when she got in mischief though it was never anything like now where the princess felt it took everything in him not to lay ruin to the apologetic knights or even Strom.

The head servant kept his head leveled and in his eyes understanding for his role in what happened. He should have never allowed the princess out of his sight even for a second no matter her stubbornness to treat that damnable animal who was filthy as the heir. Both were a royal sight covered to the brim in blood. Strom always considered Aeolthine like a child he never had, the family he wasn't allowed to have taking on the life he did. It left little room for the warmth of a woman's love and in that love sprouts to carry on his name. He never had the luxury so when the princess was born he vowed to treat her as if she were his own. Faced with the reality his neglect very well could have cost her her life, the old man would gladly be punished by King Reynard.
He would also punish himself too, but not before finding out more about the woman Ruel.

The man's face drained of emotion, the seeker in him cast a look on Ruel's body. She had family, he assumed. Someone helped her, she could not have acted alone. He would go beyond what his Highness requested for a catalogue of all in the castle confines, Strom would reach the villages more than likely with Ruel's dismembered head in tow. He would question any and everyone, someone was bound to talk even if he were to travel outside Avongale to do it. Once provoked, nothing could stop the man. Although the attack took place on the royal family, it hurt him deeply. "I understand, Your Highness. As you've spoken, it shall be done." Strom said to his king obediently, his eyes looked at Reynard before they settled on Aeolthine. She wasn't ready to take a life, she should not have been placed in such a situation. He blamed himself for this too.

"Y-Yes sire." The two knights bowed their heads. They could blame no one other than themselves as they had been late on their watch. Watching Strom go about the task at hand, the two helped while keeping a watchful eye on both ends of the hallway. Aeolthine found her eyes on her father's, his gentle words of apology and praise cutting through her. The urge to fall into them strong. She didn't want to be angry at him to feel betrayed somehow or know they were divided the moment the dead woman opened her lips but it happened the inevitable change. It was just last night she kissed his forehead and told him she loved him after dinner when departing for her room. It felt a lifetime ago and in her deepest crevice of her mind, that whisper told her to get angry to embarrass him in front of the other three demanding the truth. She didn't. Aeolthine pressed her face to Silny's nose hoping to calm her. "Do not worry," She spoke without her lips ever moving. "As I promised no harm will come to you, I swear. You are safe." The princess gave notice when her father mentioned Silny a topic she would not relent on. Her companion would stay in the castle in her room. "Silny stays with me," She spoke aloud, Strom looked over briefly. By this time more servants spilled into the hallway. They were shocked at the violence and damage. Quickly, they went to work finding themselves under Strom's scrutinized stare.
Aeolthine's father then asked if she was hurt. She thought it over. A burning feeling kept her chest at play when Ruel hit her and her nose hurt along the lines of her toe, the latter caused by her own hand. It was something she could deal with. Until recently, Aeolthine would have told him freely now the need to hide things came naturally and felt bitter. They never kept secrets from each other or so she thought. "No...." The princess withheld the truth of her recoverable injuries. She turned to look at him. "She said many things," her voice fell a notch, her disdain evident. "She wanted to kill me in revenge against you, what you had done to her child." Her eyes screamed defiance while her lower lip trembled. The girl spoke for his ears only. "What did you do Father, what have you done?" Guilt washed upon her. Female servants put a halt to the conversation approaching cautiously.

"Mistress let us tend to you," They looked at the King. "Highness."

Aeolthine declined. She lifted herself up careful on her toe still holding Silny. "I need to go to my room, I can't look at any of it any longer." In a rush, the princess abandoned them all for her room closing the doors behind her. She slid against them.

"Silny....what is going on? What is happening?"

Aeolthine's face pressing to her fur did indeed calm the sorceress's nerves, as did the reassurance that she would continue to abide by the promise that she had made when she thought that Sayviel was just a simple fox. She wasn't going to be given over to the king? The very idea of someone actually upholding their word to her was foreign, her master having taught her early that trusting implicitly in other's words was foolhardy at best. This had never been made more clear than the most recent betrayal that she had suffered. If even the man who had raised her found it acceptable to end her life when she inconvenienced him, why should she expect any sort of loyalty or mercy from a complete stranger? A stranger who was the only daughter of a sorcery loathing king, no less? Yet here Aeolthine was, completely shattering what expectations Sayviel set forth. Sayviel's cynical mind supplied that perhaps the girl was just wanting to find out the truth regarding what Ruel had been speaking of. Then once she decided that Sayviel was indeed a threat, she would turn the woman over. While others were unable to hear the quieter words of the princess, her enhanced hearing permitted the fox to pick up her tone of voice from her position pressed against the young woman's chest. The sound stirred compassion within the fox. Did her own voice not sound so similar when she had spoken to her master, begging reason from him when he began to strike out at her?

The king was reassured by the words of his daughter, believing her when she said that she had no injuries. The damage done by Ruel's fist was not evident, at least yet, to him, so there was no reason for him to question it. And then he heard what the woman had attacked his precious, only daughter over. To punish him for his decisions, the woman had struck at his daughter. While there were many who had been executed by the king for varying reasons, a part of him knew exactly what had likely driven this woman to vengeance. The defiance in his daughters eyes, while not completely unfamiliar to him, had never been this strong. His heart wrenched at the sound of her disdain, her questioning of what he had done to drive this woman to attempt to murder her. While it hurt to hear such a tone from the girl who had adored him so, there was a righteous indignation that had risen within his chest. Did she not know that he did it all for her? To keep her safe? He wanted to bellow in retort, but this was neither the time nor the place. Aeolthine had just been forced to kill a person, her hands stained red for the first time in her life. She was only behaving this way out of guilt and anger; once she was able to overcome those then she would undoubtedly see reason and thank her father for what he did.

King Reynard looked to Strom, his expression stoic. "I will be in my study. I want any who was tied to this attack brought before me post haste." With that he left, casting one last gaze to his daughter's room. His little girl had lost her blood innocence, and he doubted she would ever be the same again. Though it was foe the best, perhaps. When she became ruler, she would indeed have blood on her hands even if it wasn't in the literal sense.

Sayviel only let out the breath she had been holding when they were safely in the confines of the princess's quarters. Her ears perked when she was spoken to, and the fox struggled to find the words to respond with. Where should she begin? How much should she tell the poor sheltered princess? Should she even tell this girl about the threat to her father; she was under enough strain as it was.

Those..are rather loaded questions with more answers than I believe you can digest at this time. I think it best if we start off with the easier questions and work our way through. To be honest, you might be better off ignorant of some things.

She paused, gathering her thoughts once more and carefully choosing her words. Before the event that nearly stole the princess's life, she would have been attempting to manipulate the princess to assure her safety. Now, well, the sorceress felt an obligation to be honest but at least attempt to be sensitive of the other woman's feelings. We'll start with who I am. As you most likely realize by now, I'm not a common fox. Or even a fox at all. She hesitated a moment then plunged ahead. I am a sorceress, highness. One of the very few remaining. Though that woman implied that I took this form to slip into the castle, I must protest the validity of this statement. This animal body is not of my choosing, but rather was forced upon me by another. Truly, I meant no ill will with this deception. Sayviel knew that it was possible that Aeolthine would not believe her; she had reason to believe anything the sorceress said. All she could do was hope for a swift execution should Aeolthine's favor be taken away. My name is Sayviel, Princess, though I'm not opposed to answering to Silny. Especially if there are others around.

She extricate herself from the princess's grasp, limping as she attempted to evaluate the girl's condition. Were you being truthful as to your physical condition? she asked with concern.

Strom watched the princess seek shelter in the comfort of her room, the two female servants offering their help to clean her up standing helpless to stare at one another and their king. The male at once faced Reynard, the expression on his face and look within his eyes telling him what must be done.
What he must once more do, the acts most might consider sinister by an outside view.

For Stromwell Atticus, they were all in the name of the royal family and of course Avongale. Blue pupils hidden behind the mask of glasses slowly lost the light in them, the old man placed one arm behind his back the other to his stomach. He lowered his upper body to a degree never once looking away from Reynard hearing the silent acknowledgement in Aeolthine's father's words. To find anyone else involved, to bring them forward Strom knew exactly what he would do. How it must be done, with a detached heart to the world. It was the same manner which allowed him to function after taking children from their homes and all other crimes he committed, if Aeolthine knew the severity if she knew what was done to protect her she might never look at them the same again.

Straightening himself, he watched his King leave but not before sending a look to Princess Aeolthine's room. Something was wrong. "You two," A coldness touched the master servant's words. He engaged the two females in conversation. They looked at him. "Once the princess has her wits about her, tend to her immediately." At his orders, they nod quickly.

"And you," Strom's hell was unleashed on the knights. "Be grateful you are still breathing for now," Had the King not been here, an highly unlikely occurrence, surely they would be lying next to the body of the woman dead. They were at his side, heads bowed in shame. "You will stand guard in front of the princess's room do I make myself clear?" He wagged a finger between them.

"Yes, sir."

Strom continued. "If you hear her so much as sneeze you go into that room, I do not care whether she is naked or not. Her safety is top priority."

"Sir!"

Strom brought his words to a whisper. "She has a animal, a fox, in her possession as you probably saw. Do keep an eye on it, nothing seems in the ordinary this day of days. Keep this between us, tell me whether you notice anything." With a fox, their youthful expressions were priceless to a man who had seen the darkest depths of the world. Strom held back the urge to slap the naivety out of them with a back palm. His statement couldn't be that farfetched. He frowned, youth these days. Looking at the other servants, Strom gave them orders too. "This hall must be pristine as it was before, I don't care how long you have to do it. See that you give Brigitte a proper burial and coin to her family." They wondered where he intended to go. The man's movements brought him to Ruel's body. His frown increased. Inspecting closer, the man knelt. He imagined in life she was a very beautiful woman, but something twisted her changed her to where she sought revenge, to be complicit in this wrong doing. Atticus rightly presumed this woman was like the countless others, the families of the victims, forced to live a life without their loved ones. It was a price they had to pay for the greater good, he decided long ago. The woman had been wrong in her execution though. Stromwell had all the senses of a bloodhound and plotted steps far ahead.

There was a trail to discover and his senses were working overtime. Pushing hair from her face displeased, he searched the body until he found a necklace barely noticeable in the clothing. Nothing too fancy, a mere trinket of hard work it was having no real jewelry quality. The string looked like sewing yarn attached to a small sapphire stone.

The man's head tilted. He further examined his finding. "Quite interesting," Because he knew where such a frivolous item originated from. The village of Abendroth. A merchant there made and sold them. Perhaps he sold one to the woman or maybe they had a more closer relationship either way it was the right time of day to pay a visit to the village and the merchant in question.

He would talk, Strom was convinced. With the dead woman's head as the prize, he was certain the merchant would lament her death. If not him someone else would come forward otherwise the man might have to resort lower than he already had, perhaps burn the village to the ground. As much as he didn't want to go that far, if it meant flushing out the true culprit he would venture back to hell to do it. "Take this filth to the dungeon," He rose. He signaled Ruel's body. "I'll be down shortly." Servants quickly answered his call working in unison to lift the woman's body. With a look at Aeolthine's room, Strom soon left down the hall. Outside the large doors of her room, Aeolthine heard muffled voices all familiar only everything else she hadn't a clue what they were talking about. She knew she had left her father and the rest rather abruptly. The events and questions weighed heavily on her heart and she felt the burning in her chest play with her in some hidden game where it would leave her only to resurface again. The princess shook her head in disappointment which was heavy as the burden of guilt and yearned to find the truth. Part of her wanted to return to time she woke up the earlier part of the morning. To be able to go back and do something different, to not know her father's silence spoke louder than the words he did not say. She could never forget the look on his face, how her words the way she said them put a wedge between them. Aeolthine wanted his comfort, his warmth and for him to tell her all of this everything was a nightmare. She didn't want her image of the man tarnished. He was her brave father, the King of Avongale no greater person could stand near him. The look she saw on his face told her he knew. The truth was for everyone but the Princess to know. Sliding down against the doors, her sought after warmth came in the form of fur, Silny's fur, touching her arms as she held her. This was yet another oddity of the day right up there with her hallway destruction, Aeolthine wanted the answers. She deserved the answers or so she thought. Once heard, the princess could not return to normal the further change would obliterate the life she clung to. She asked herself if that was what she really wanted to no longer be ignorant of what took place behind the scenes. No matter what path, it would bring her heartache. "Ignorance will not change the fact the future I once had is now destroyed, I'm left with nothing but the choice to walk forward. If I don't know now it will come later." How they were able to communicate as they did not even the princess knew. It was all strange. Silny seemed to be the only one wanting to give her answers. Strom stood unrelenting at her father's side, she knew together they held secrets for Avongale's sake. Just what those secrets were remained cloaked in darkness probably never to see the light of day. The princess felt she had no one except Silny, the one much more beyond those beautiful violet eyes.

Aeolthine looked at her.
A soft knock touched the doors, it was the two female servants. "Mistress, might we come in? Are you okay?"

The princess coughed some. "I am fine. I do not wish for company now. Please leave me."

"Alright..." They only moved just slightly, Aeolthine listened. She looked back at Silny not a common fox or even one at all instead a....

"Sorceress?" The term was foreign to Reynard's daughter. With the ban on anything remotely related to magic, the heir wouldn't even know what basic etymology dealing in the taboo arts were. "Sorceress," It sounded funny when she said it, tried to grasp the word and understand. Aeolthine thought over and over what it could possibly mean. It had nothing to do with royalty, she concluded and that much she knew. If Silny wasn't a fox then what? Instead of asking more questions upon the two asked already, she kept silent.
How could she forget the woman's words.

Clever, only one adept in magic could pull off such trickery. Falling under a careful disguise of an animal to get closer to the royal family. Why did I not think of that? You certainly had the advantage.

It made sense, somewhat.
Silny's fox form. Able to hear what everyone spoke and see them behind those enchanting eyes. "Not of your doing," The Princess felt more left out by the secrets in the dark kept and plots.

"Who did this to you and why? If you meant no ill will then why....." She stopped talking. A whirlwind of emotions taking her face through changes. Anger at being in the dark, sadness, and of course guilt. Deep within, the young woman could feel a stirring. The distant voice. It caressed her insides softly. It was telling her to cast Silny out, that truth lie in Ruel's words and they both conspired together the victor being the false fox. The voice also whispered for Aeolthine to let go to let it take fold once again. Was she crazy? Aeolthine refused. She caught Silny-Sayviel-telling her real name in spite of her own turmoil.

"Sayviel...." She looked at Sayviel when she left her arms limping having not recovered from the wound. Time left them little choice. A question was asked of the princess now.

She turned away. "Had I told him the truth he would be here right now fussing over me, that was a conversation I was not prepared for," She removed her slippers. Her toe was an unnatural purple, broken, and yearning for salvation. "A vase is not the same as a ball, I should have known that before I kicked it. Matters weren't helped when the woman stepped on my foot either though I'm sure the toe will mend with care. My nose too." She clutched her chest staring off at nothing in particular. "She struck me rather harshly in my chest. I feel an unfavorable burning sensation often. I don't know what it is." Using the doors for support, Aeolthine pushed herself up. Her dark eyes locked Sayviel in place.

"But my condition is of no importance, I could hear you and the woman, the entirety of your conversation." There was not a clear starting point or what deemed more important than the next.

"My father did something to you too did he not? Are you here like the woman, to seek revenge for what he has done? Did you mean me harm, Sayviel? I want the truth!" Aeolthine coughed again. "Did I kill that woman with no real cause?!" Trembling, she brought her bloody hands up. "Father would never kill a child. Such a thing is monstrous, inhumane. He wouldn't partake in nor sanction something so heinous, he couldn't. He's my father. The man I adore," Aeolthine's wide eyes shut. "My father, my father, my father. He did do this, he did. I could see it on his face and in what he did not say. Oh gods," Attempting to move, the heir dropped on her knees heaving in gulps of air.

"Sayviel, I can hear it calling me. A voice in the deepest part of my mind so faint it is equivalent to a thread needle dropping," Her hair began blowing some. "It's telling me to let go, to give in. What is this?"

Having been raised away from society by another who was adept in magic, the questioning tone of the princess's voice caught her off guard. The depth of the girl's ignorance regarding this matter surely held no bounds! While it certainly would spare her emotions if she was kept in the dark regarding the murdering of babies, what good did it do to keep all knowledge regarding magic from the girl? The retention of knowledge wouldn't be for Aeolthine's favor, that was for certain. That line of thought was brought to an abrupt end as she watched the emotions playing across the heir's face. The fox's heart rate increased against her will to keep herself as calm as possible. Just a call from Aeolthine, and her life would be forfeit.

If she didn't even know what a sorceress was, all terms regarding magic completely unknown to her and the art therefore unfathomable, how could she explain the events that had led her into the palace garden? Sayviel had never been in the position of needing someone to believe her; her relationship with her master had been one bereft of guile, or at least she had thought before their fateful quarrel. Yet not only did her life depend on it at this current moment in time, but..she truly wanted the princess to believe her. This was her first time meeting someone outside of her master which served to bring on anxieties she didn't even know she would be experiencing. All of her life, she had wanted to meet someone else. Now that she had the opportunity, it of course had to come with the threat of death if she made an error. No pressure.

Thankfully, her answer could be delayed as she examined the injuries the princess spoke of. Oh, that toe looked quite terrible. She could only imagine how it felt. When she was young and emotionally charged, some things didn't change that much, the sorceress had struck a tree with her foot when her spell to bend it to her will continuously failed. The toe had shattered in a fashion similar to Aeolthine's, and her master had patched it up with a quick setting followed by a spell to speed up natural healing. I'm sorry, I would be of more assistance if I could actually access my powers in this form. Unfortunately, the most I can do is mind magic which I'm not proficient in.

The fox froze under the intensity of the princess's gaze, feeling her senses heightening from the increase in anxiety. She hadn't meant to broadcast her voice so loudly; it was sheer luck that no one else was around to hear her. If they had, she would have been doomed. No one would believe that she had no contact with the woman prior to the attack; it was going to be a feat convincing the princess of this. Words of justification came to mind, but they fell away as she recognized the familiar signs of someone losing themselves to their emotions. That tingling of magic returned, though it wasn't nearly as intense as it had been previously in the hallway. Still, if left unchecked..

Sayviel ignored her injured paw, heart moved as the girl pleaded with her for answers. This was what happened when knowledge was forbidden; it caused more pain than it did any good! This poor girl, having to learn so many cruel truths in one day, suffer so many betrayals. Sayviel didn't hesitate to get close to the heir, wishing she had some way to connect to her own magic in an effort to ground her. All she could do was hope her physical presence and voice were enough.

Aeolthine, take slow breaths. This is your power. It whispers for release, but don't forget you are its master. Not the other way around.

Yes, your father has wronged me, but I seek no retribution through you. What ever he has done, that is his price to pay, not yours. You are innocent of his crimes against those born with magic, and while I will not lie and say I do not yearn for vengeance for the family I should have had..that path only breeds more hatred and fear than it will ever solve. I swear to you, Aeolthine, I will not turn on you.

Sayviel hesitated, struggling to come up with a way to prove herself. Finally, she made an offer that she knew she could possibly regret. No, not even possibly. She was most likely going to rue this day once it was done, but she could think of nothing else. I will write an oath, with my blood, and sign it with my mark that I shall not turn on you. This will bind me to you; even if I ever wanted to do harm, I would not be able to with my soul itself constrained to our terms. You need training to control your magic; it can tear you asunder if not properly leashed. In return for sanctuary and help regaining my human form, I'll teach you.

Aeolthine had asked more questions of her than she had given answers, but the poor girl was being bombarded by new things. The threat to the king could wait for now since they most likely had some time to spare, Reginald having the flair for the dramatic much like the sorceress he raised. It was a wonder how much of Sayviel's personality was shaped by her master's influence and what she could have been, raised with a happy, open, loving family rather than a broody, arrogant, misanthropic former prince.

Magic, sorceress, mind magic, death...
It called her from within, the faintest of whispered voices, so smooth it put silk to shame. It was calling Aeolthine, telling her to demand the truth with force, to make them cower beneath her feet. But, who? Sayviel or her father, who exactly? What would such a thing cause other than more heartbreak?

It got in her veins, coursed throughout her body like an unwanted chill and the princess felt the familiarity of the hallway incident when she was forced to let go. Destruction followed. She heaved for surrender, to replace this feeling of dread. Sayviel's words pried her eyes open, Aeolthine looked at the fox her lips making a small circle where she inhaled deeply and slowly. Slow breaths, she did as she was told finding her form calming drastically. It took a moment to process, this was her power.
Her power of which she was the master. The master of her power, what power? Did that mean she was as Sayviel, a sorceress?

Putting two and two together, Aeolthine understood her companion had this magic otherwise she would not have mentioned her powers restricted by her form. They shared a common ground, this sort of awakening, the princess felt different unlike herself and she did not know whether it was a good or bad thing.

"I am the master," Aeolthine spoke. "Not the other way around. My power, I am the master of it." She was calm, the burning in her chest retreating like the whisper of her newly discovered power awaiting for a more opportune moment. Questions were being answered without her having to become upset, the voice had been wrong, she need not let go.

One thing was certain, whatever this power was it was dangerous if not properly controlled. She brushed away her thoughts to the truth spoken to her. While the woman Ruel hoped, no fought, to kill King Reynard's child Sayviel did not mean any harm to Aeolthine. Their paths were greatly different, but their pain similar. The King, Aeolthine's father, had done them wrong. Something like that could not be forgotten most certainly not forgiven with wounds so fresh.
What all had he done, what other crimes committed made two people want to hold him accountable Aeolthine thought she herself could come up with the answer. The woman swore revenge for the sake of her child, however, Sayviel....

The revelation brought the burning sensation back into her chest. She looked away from the fox deep in thought, neither would recover from their injuries if they did not settle down. Her father committed crimes against those with magic, why?

"Wait," She interrupted. "He has done you wrong simply because you have this power, magic? That would mean the woman I killed her child had the power too therefore father," Aeolthine shuddered. She had the power too! Why had her father not turned on her? The princess found her guilty eyes on her companion once more. Sayviel had every right to want the revenge. How could she not?

"The family you should have had, the family my father took from you. For what?" She clenched her fists. "Why should you not feel animosity for the father and the daughter, you have every right." Somehow in that vow, Aeolthine felt the other would keep her word. If Sayviel meant her harm they would not be here talking or her questions answered. It was more than her father told her though to be fair she left him before he had the chance to counter her statement. Everything happened so fast, the doors of truth were ajar and all she wasn't quite prepared for came through.

"I made a vow to you too. You will be under my protection, that won't change. A person's word is their honor without it they have nothing. I am not my father, reason must be listened to and understood. I don't know the reason for any of this or the cause. I will find the answers however painful they are." And try to right some of the wrongs her father committed. In order to do that she needed to know how deep those wrongs went, of course this piled on top of everything else.

"An oath? With your blood?" Aeolthine was stunned. "But, why? There is no freedom in binding yourself to another, do you think you must do this in order to prove your word? That I cannot take in what you have told me or do you feel you could harm me and this is a precaution? It does not sound very good nor will it leave you a choice. You do have a choice. Regardless of what all has happened you have a choice and I will not go back on my word if that is what you fear. I promise you I won't just as you've sworn not to turn on me, that is good enough Sayviel. Your actions prove your intent," For a moment the Princess paused. The fight took a lot out of her as she was certain it did for Sayviel, they hadn't recovered and here they were talking on a heavy subject. Aeolthine's fault really, she wanted to know the truth. Turning her head to the windows, the afternoon skies had darkened quite a bit. A storm brewed somewhere. It felt ironic in a way almost the exact feeling of her turmoil within. "Our word means everything," She explained. "That is what we are bound by some of us at least. What you want to do, I'm not at all versed in it, seems very important like the laying of a foundation. Even though we do not know each other well I know your life is important, too important to be bound to another. You are worth more than that, I hope you can realize this. It's something you yourself should want to do by your own free will. Please, come." Aeolthine opened her arms. It would be Sayviel's decision if she wanted to come into them. "No harm will come to you. You'll be safe here with me. We will fix this." Something happened, something bad Aeolthine took it as when her question about what trapped Sayviel in the fox form went unanswered. She also took it as too many questions came at an alarming rate. One step at a time even the princess couldn't keep up like she thought.
"You will teach me, thank you. This power, no magic, you said it can tear me apart. From what you spoke and the woman, magic is forbidden I take it. It is very powerful...." Before they could talk more the room doors opened, the two female servants brought in a wash basin rather than have Aeolthine leave the comfort of her room. The two knights looked in the room particularly at Sayviel as the doors closed.

"We're sorry mistress," The two apologized, their heads bowed. "Strom told us to tend to you."

"It's okay," Aeolthine forced a smile. Perhaps it was best for the distraction for now.

"We will get you right proper, your pet too." The two were unaware of the bond the two shared or the fact Sayviel wasn't at all a fox let alone someone's pet. Aeolthine searched the violet eyes of her companion as the females helped her up and discovered her broken toe. They would send for the doctor, they told her although she didn't want yet another distraction. Both women took turns ridding her of the blood and the saturated clothing while, if permitted, would clean Sayviel's fur until it could no longer have a reminder of the battle. Young like Aeolthine and the slain Brigitte, the two paid no mind to the mark on the fox. They lived in ignorance of the ban on magic. Once finished, they cleared away everything dirty dressed Aeolthine and helped her into bed promising food soon. Food was the last thing on Aeolthine's mind. The spot she made for Sayviel remained on the bed if the sorceress wanted to rest. By now heavy rain descended to the land making it appear more like night than late afternoon, the princess listened to the clap of lightning and thunder roll in the distance.

full

It was a very unsightly place, dark and seemingly hidden away from time itself. It wasn't a place where many went willingly and without screaming. Oh, the screams. Stromwell Atticus could still hear them bouncing off the cold brick walls echoing throughout the long winding tunnels of countless barred cells denied even a smidgen of the glorious light. It was one way to break a person's will, take away the one treasure they had taken for granted when free, sunlight. At first it might not be anything major, a scoff here and there refusal to think being trapped in the darkness could do more damage than a short blade. To Stromwell, it was a delicious treat. To destroy the strongest of men forced in darkness. While others were dragged away pleading this put doubt in their mind whether or not they would be next, when the time may come and what death awaited them. The satisfaction was delivered when they realized nothing not even the grace of the King could save them once in the clutches of the dungeon most of all Atticus.

Lips loosened then, stories were told. All pertinent information. Still, when Stromwell did something little could change the man's mind aside from the King and of course Aeolthine.

Patches of grass sprouted up between slight cracks in the bricks below, the man's dark brown high boots made clacking noises against them as he walked. Out of the master servant attire, he found comfort in clothing that was dark. Black and almost regal only what he aimed to do would have little cause for celebration. The older man's bottom half dawned slacks fitted with a broad belt and hidden scabbard where a long sword lied tucked away.
Underneath a wide collar long sleeve cloak coat was a sharp velvet vest over a white long button down shirt. A tipped black hat slid forward on his head with the ominous single feather of the same color nearly touching his ponytail. He did not wear his spectacles.

A most unfriendly look touched his entire face, one dark one deadly. Fancy leather gloves covered his hands one of the latter carried a small torch, the bright orange and red embers licked at one another to cast a glimmer of light around the surrounding empty cells. No longer were they filled as they once had been of thieves and justly magic users anyone having a slight acknowledgement to the element. They were enemies of Avongale, humanity in general and when Reynard wanted them gone Stromwell answered the call dutifully. The bars had begun to oxidize after years upon years of wear or perhaps it was dried blood that made them appear rusty. Beyond the bars would greet prisoners to cells smaller than a square, a single flat bed just as cold as the room and no window to the outside world.

Another reason for this was due to the fact the dungeon was under the castle, an eyesore compared to the pinnacle of glory of Avongale. The dungeon was embarrassing a disappointment to be kept in the dark. Below it was a section where the real ghastly acts were committed. It had been a while since its use with someone alive. The woman however could not protest for her life was long ended by the princess, but she would still get him the answers he needed. In Stromwell's other hand he carried a worn brown sack. Droplets of blood fell from it to the ground slipping in the grass sprouted cracks soundlessly. The man's blue pupils ran over the countless columns of empty cells before coming to settle on the path ahead.

There were two ways into the dungeon and two out. One route out meant discretion. No annoying servants with peering eyes and mouths to gossip about things they had little business in knowing. The appropriate way out meant walking to the back of the vast hell hole reaching stairs up which lead to a passage outside around the back of the castle. Alone, Stromwell prevailed on. All thoughts replaced by nothing. He was one hand of the king now, the acting one. He soon reached the stairwell climbing up with little effort stopping at a cellar-like door. Once he opened it to the afternoon hazy skies, Atticus carefully snuffed out the torch tossing it to the side. The sack containing Ruel's head continued to drip blood, he gave it only a moment's look making haste to the stables where he took a horse out and made his way from the castle. He sprinted quickly. With his head lifted, he noticed the asperatus clouds above like the formation of something orange and pink almost in the shape of sinister faces descending upon the world. The man also noted a bit of gray an indication rain might touch Avongale before nightfall. It would not take him long to get to Abendroth. It was just after the tree clearing.

Stromwell frowned as he discovered another rider coming from the north. He would not forget those golden bouncing locks anywhere. Athan Korhohen, Aeolthine's other trainer. Much to the irritation of Stromwell, the younger blue-eyed man slowed his horse down forcing him to do so as well for idle chat. He had not the time nor patience, things needed to be done. Athan was some years older than Aeolthine, they both were young though each not knowing about the severity of magic. In a way, Atticus felt pity for them. Was it better to live a life of ignorance or understand the truth?

full

Athan noticed Stromwell's change, he raised his chin some keeping all jokes to the side. He knew now seemed not like the time to mess with the older male, something was wrong. "Strom," He spoke. "Is everything okay?"

"An assassin tried to kill Aeolthine," Stromwell answered. He watched Athan's eyes widen in shock.

"My word! Is she okay?! The King?"

"They both are as well as to be expected, worry yourself not about matters long gone. Return to your post."

"I will, I had visited Ruguar. Sir, where are you going if I might ask? It looks as if it may rain."

Stromwell already moved his horse ahead. "To take care of something, I will see you soon." He said no more to the younger man taking off. Athan's forehead creased, he watched his mentor until he could no longer see him. Concerned, instead of heading back to the castle he turned his horse around following a good pace behind the man.
Gray and black took over pink and orange in the haunting clouds above the closer Stromwell got to Abendroth. The trees cleared and in their place homes spilled about a grassy field, the rooftops made of a sturdy straw in a triangle shape. The homes themselves were of a wood each similar and with logs thrown around the back. A center dug well supplied the water the village needed, none of it mattered to Stromwell. He would burn it all to the ground if need be. He saw villagers walking around, some looked his way and in the direction of the sack. He was on his way to one particular two connected home where the porch of one had the useless trinket he took from Ruel on display in droves laid out on wood tables for all to see. As he approached on horseback, a plump attractive woman emerged from inside. Her hair was almost as red as Aeolthine's. Freckles laced her face and her eyes were undoubtedly emerald in color. She smiled at Stromwell.

"Good afternoon sir, how can I help you?"

Stromwell frowned more causing the woman to wince. Reaching in his coat pocket, he presented the item between his thumb and index finger. He watched her reaction, a gracious smile returned to her face. "You have one of our necklaces, are you here to buy more? I can show you some different ones-"

"Tis no possession of mine," He replied coolly. "It is hers," He cocked his head to the sack. Again he watched for a reaction when her eyes went to the bloody tote. He found confusion in them. "Confused? How dreadful, come to me woman. Now." She hesitated. "If I must tell you again I will take my sword to your throat, come." At the threat she came forward craning her neck to look up at him.

"A gift for you, does she belong to you?" He dropped the sack in her hands which now stained red. "Open it carefully," Stromwell warned. And she did, a sharp scream left her mouth at the discovery. Dropping the gift, she turned around running up the porch and back inside her screaming alerting other villagers. They approached him. None knew his name, they might recognize his face. He was the executioner. Stromwell regarded them in ease, he even bothered to smile some. Meanwhile, Athan entered the village on his horse. He could see the gathered crowd around Stromwell.

On the ground sat the partially revealed head of Ruel, the villagers standing close could not hide the knowledge they knew her and Atticus took this to notice. He hoped to question the merchant, but it would seem he really didn't have to. These people knew her. However, a bearded man rushed outside. He first saw what was left of Ruel then Stromwell. He held back. "Does she belong to you?" Atticus asked. The man nodded slowly.

"My wife...." He trembled.

"Oh, that is most unfortunate. Did you know of her activities concerning the royal family? The treason, don't lie. I do not have the tolerance for lies."
The man could say nothing. His eyes filled with water. It was all Stromwell needed to know. "My answer. I have to wonder whether it was just you and her involved or this entire village, I'm thinking the latter not that it really matters-"

"Damn the King!" One man bellowed. Stromwell eyed him. "He's a murderer! It isn't enough he has taken our loved ones, he has to continue to take from us. I wish him dead! His whole lot including his daughter-" Swiftly the man's tirade came to an abrupt end. One by one horror captured the faces of those still living as Stromwell had brought forth his long sword doing to the man what he had done to Ruel. The blade stained red and the body dropped heavily. Athan held back at what he just saw. Stromwell smiled viciously. "Any transgression against the King is one against all of Avongale. I only need one of you, really. What I do with the rest will go according to how much you beg." He dismounted from his horse looking them all over.

"Favor will not be granted for you today."

df4046533d41411e8d5815cd3e9a724e-d3i9zxu.jpg

That's right, Aeolthine, there. I can feel that it is heeding your command for now. In time and practice, you will feel the rise of power in others. It might save your life one day.Sayviel was rather impressed by how quickly the princess was able to pick up on the technique to bring her emotions back under control. It had been a struggle for Sayviel, one that she still, occasionally, lost. That was just part of Sayviel's nature, quick to temper like the fires that she wielded with such efficiency and grace. Like those flames, she was capable of being destructive but also warm and comforting in equal measure.

She could see the anger and turmoil in the young woman's dark brown eyes, but it wasn't anger aimed at the fox. She was..angry on her behalf? This was a feeling that Sayviel was quite unfamiliar with, having been raised with the knowledge, at least past a certain age, that those raised without powers would fear and hate her. This poor girl had even had a woman attempt to kill her because of her father's doing, and yet she was feeling sympathy for them! How could she be the daughter of the man who so easily ordered the slaughter of innocent babes?

I know not why the king has decided this course of action, that we deserve death when haven't committed a crime. But know this, Aeolthine, it is not your burden to bear. There was a strong, imperial tone to her voice as she told the princess in no uncertain terms that the fate of those gifted with magic was not her fault. You are as much a victim as the rest of us, Aeolthine. Just as I did not ask to be blessed by the divines with these powers, neither did you ask to be kept sheltered of this power that you possess. You did not ask to be spared, and it is blind ignorance that would lead anyone to suggest that it is at all your fault. How can I ask you to not hate me for acts committed by others if I hold you accountable for your father's deeds. I may be many things, dear princess, but a hypocrite shall not be one of them.

Sayviel was quite stunned by the princess's words. She didn't question the validity of Sayviel's vow? She didn't require proof beyond simply her word? At one time in her life, Sayviel would have certainly believed that this was the way of things. But now she found herself expecting to be double-crossed, especially when there was no gain for the other woman to uphold her side of the deal. I must confess, I didn't think that you would believe me. After all, I am in a vulnerable position, my back to a wall..I could just be telling you what you want to hear. The fox sighed softly, shaking her head. Sadness and pain shone in her violet eyes for a moment as she thought back to the reason she had lost a measure of her naivety. Limping a little, the fox nestled into the princess's arms. It was so warm and comfortable there, she had to admit. Forgive me if my words or actions do not coincide with the manners that you are used to, I mean no ill will or deception in with my speech. You're the first person that I've actually been able to interact with other than the man who raised me. If it were not under such dire circumstances, I would be much more excited about our meeting.

The fox had been about to add more when the maids entered the scene. She cast an amused look to Aeolthine as she permitted herself to be groomed. To make things easier, I'll just play along as your pet. But don't get any ideas that I'll still enjoy a game of fetch once I've become human again. she teased. Sayviel had been more than accepting of the maids cleaning her fur when it became obvious that they did not have a clue as to the mark on her chest. It had been bothering her, the amount of blood clinging to that majestic coat. As they cleaned, the fox had an expression that was akin to a pleased smile, her ears back against her head, her eyes closed, and lips drawn back as far as they could. Why couldn't this have been her life? Well, she supposed that at least she had had magic to make keeping her appearance flawless had been enough. Oh, there had been no one around to impress, but it had made her personally feel superior to know that she had better hair and a more fair complexion than those people that she longingly watched. That superiority staved off that cold of loneliness.

Once her fur was spotless and sleek, the color an unblemished ebony, the little fox had looked pitifully at one of the maids and pawed at the bed. The high pitched whine she made was equally as pathetic, and it got the fox exactly what she wanted. Now happily on the bed, she accepted the space that the princess had arranged for her to lie on. The first thing you should do now is rest, princess. I promise, I'll still be here when you awaken. And then I can have more answers available to you if you're feeling up to ingesting them. She paused, trying to think of how best to phrase her next words. Thank you, Aeolthine, for everything that you have done for me. Others would not have been nearly so accommodating. I feel a kinship to you; we'll get through this together. You'll have the best teacher in Avongale to train you in your gift.

There were so many mysteries in the world, those awaiting to be discovered and others left untouched in the dark. Aeolthine did not know what exactly to put Sayviel in, one or the other maybe none. She knew very little about her aside from the fact she was this sorceress turned fox and the princess could very well be one too a sorceress holding the powerful magic at bay.

Sayviel came seemingly out of the blue or perhaps fate guided her to the heir, regardless with her appearance Aeolthine's life before changed. She could never go back and part of her did not want to if it meant being cast in the dark to be made sheltered from the truth. Everyone deserved to know the truth whether it involved them indirectly or not, right? Was it not better to know?
This weighed heavily on the princess. As much as she shouldn't shoulder the burden of responsibility, she could not help feeling the weight of what her father had done.

What he robbed people of without a known reason, how deep had Sayviel's pain ran to be without a family? What was she made to endure for her to believe her word was only good through actions?

The high pitched whine broke her from her thoughts, dark eyes fell on her companion pawing at the bed.
A slight smile crossed her lips, she understood what Sayviel wanted one of the pair to do and since she hadn't made any fuss when they cleaned her fur one was all too helpful by scooping the fox up in her arms to be placed in the spot the princess made. Aeolthine's eyes lifted to the window. A downpour of bad weather touched Avongale surely to be set in for the rest of the evening, it didn't matter, it wasn't like they were going anywhere.

Once the servants left, she stretched out more comfortably turning on her side facing Sayviel and those unforgettable violet eyes. She pushed hair from her face tucking some behind her ear ignoring the pain in her toe for now. Aeolthine had high doubts the doctor could come out with the way the weather was although if it were a real emergency at the risk of punishment from the King they would be here hastily. She could manage. Beautiful streaks of platinum lightning tumbled across the sky commonly followed by hard thunder. "A promise I hold you to, Sayviel." She found a yawn abruptly leaving her. "Oh, excuse me. I guess I'm more tired than I thought, but you already knew that." Aeolthine touched that fine fur as she had done before. "There will be no where else to go except forward with the truth," She answered. "I will take everything in that you tell me. I must apologize, I never took into account how you might feel talking about this. Maybe you weren't ready to speak about it yet I more or less gave you little choice." Suddenly, her thoughts shifted. Aeolthine found herself wondering what did Sayviel look like as a human, the fleeting thought crossed her mind only briefly unexpectedly out of no where. Not really no where, once more Aeolthine was drawn to peer into the purple pools of her companion feeling as if a whole other world lie hidden inside them awaiting to be discovered.

She brought her hand from that fur resting it on the bed. "You do not have to thank me, Sayviel. If the roles were reversed I would think that you would do the same. You have. You did not have to tell me anything at all, you could have said nothing to that woman. You saved my life and you wanted to prove to me you spoke the truth. That in itself shows how kind of a person you are so no matter how difficult this journey I will take it with you." Aeolthine felt safe around Sayviel more than the father she had known for her entire existence. It felt bitter to think that.
That the man whose blood ran through her veins could be devious. She wondered if she truly knew him and with that thought it stabbed at her insides, her heart and feeling terrible she moved closer to Sayviel relishing the warmth.

"A bond I don't want to end," She said. "Even as you regain your form, that does not mean my word given to you will become meaningless. I stand by it firmly. You have my protection always." The princess smiled when she was told she would have the best teacher in Avongale. "I am told I can be stubborn, I hope you don't mind that and yes we will get through this together." Her eyelids began to close as the pitpat of rain became somewhat a haunting tune.

"Goodnight Sayviel..." A male servant knocked on the doors opening them with a tray of food though seeing the princess and Sayviel as they were he quietly placed the tray on the dresser leaving.

It was harsh, the fall of rain against the world and yet it felt rejuvenating for one of the shadows on horseback moving quickly toward the kingdom while in the distance the smoke of flames drowned away any traces of what had been and in turn said flames were reduced to mere steam. By the time the two reached the castle it was indeed nightfall and the storm settled in. Athan on Stromwell's heels looked upset as the older male lead the blindfolded prisoner from the stables around to the dungeon and up into the castle. "I cannot believe you," Athan spoke through gritted teeth unable to suppress his anger at the violence he witnessed. "Did that. Why did you do that?"

Stromwell did not answer him.

"Sir, I demand an answer!"

"Oho," Stromwell chuckled. "The boy demands an answer of his mentor," He spared him a glance while pushing forward the bound by rope prisoner. "Who do you think you are to talk to me in such a way, Athan?"

"Sir-"

"Be silent," The older man snapped. "You haven't a clue what needs to be done in order to protect Avongale, the royal family. I do not have to explain my actions to a child half my age," He watched Athan flinch. "We do what we must to protect the royal family, that is an oath we both took or have you forgotten?" The younger male shook his head. "Forget what you have witnessed today but do not think it was done without cause. You should be willing to do what is necessary to keep your king safe." And with that, Stromwell moved leaving Athan to watch him and question his own beliefs. Whether he could do what he had seen the other do.

Stromwell knew it was late, however given the events of the day he didn't think the king would retire as of yet. The ruler made a demand of him and the older man answered as quickly as possible. Abendroth was no more. The remnants of its people reduced to one man, the merchant, a man more than just that. Stromwell discovered hidden secrets once he destroyed others in front of his eyes. Combined with the truth that his wife was dead, he spilled his guts while watching others do so literally. With the man close, Stromwell went to the first place he thought the king would be his study. If indeed there, he would only enter if permitted bringing Ruel's husband along for a swift persecution.

3b499ef8ba0f7257cca9e27619f5c022--yennefer-witcher-the-witcher-.jpg

df4046533d41411e8d5815cd3e9a724e-d3i9zxu.jpg

Sayviel's eyes opened after she slept, her long lashes fluttering as she did so. The sight of the princess's opulent room was what she expected to be greeted with, not the vast whiteness that surrounded her. She sat up, the action startling her since it felt much different than it had just hours ago. Looking down, her violet eyes widened in shock. That was definitely a human hand pressed to the white ground she was resting upon. She was human again?! Sayviel leaped to her feet, almost stumbling as she did so far more quickly than her tall frame wished to permit. The height difference between being a fox and a human certainly caught her off guard, but she caught herself from swooning. How could she be human again? No ritual had been performed, no spell cast as far as she was aware. The last she remembered was going to sleep next to..

Ah. This was the realm between dreams and consciousness. She had heard of it before in her studies, but she had never experienced the act of being completely cognizant while sleeping. Fascinating that she was able to retain her human form this way; though she supposed that her mind and magic were still technically humanoid. The sorceress brushed invisible wrinkles from the long black dress clothing her body, hugging her slim figure like a second skin. Time to explore and figure out why she was there. Oh, and of course frolick while she had use of her human form. There was no telling how fleeting this time was going to be, so she would soak up every moment while she could.

The sorceress began walking through the sterile landscape only to learn that it was in fact not completely white; it was just a thick white fog masking most of her vision. There were actually trees and flowers in this in-between realm, and she could swear she heard a babbling brook. None of this was clear to her vision, unfortunately, the sorceress more than likely having issues with fully interacting with her surroundings due to the strain that had been placed on her magic thus far. Not to mention she was seeing through human eyes after staring down the muzzle of a fox for a day; she had to adjust.

A soft breeze brushed through the leaves of the tree she had discovered, her long, raven hair being gently tousled by the invisible force. She raised a hand and tucked the errant tresses behind her ear. Who knew she would miss being able to perform such a gesture? While paused by the tree with her hand upon it, the sorceress was sure that she caught sight of someone else in this land between. The figure was quite obscured, and she hesitated a moment before calling out. "Is there someone there?" What would she really lose if it was her master as a worst case scenario? She doubted that even he would be able to kill her in this state. Though she should perhaps curb her arrogance; there were many ways a sorceress could die that she was not aware of.

The king had been sitting at his desk, staring at a painting of his young daughter. Today had almost been the last day that he had with her; one of those abominations almost took his light, his life, away from him. Was there nothing that their tainted hands would not desecrate? He wanted every single one of them eradicated, this blight of magic purged from his land. Yes, he was aware that his sweet daughter had the mark, the potential for magic, but if she had no one to learn from, no one to tell her and corrupt her..she would remain innocent.

Ah, but unfortunately, she had been forced to learn one truth. He had seen the look in her eyes, and he knew exactly what had been told to her. How could she not know that anything he did was with her best interests at heart? His hands had been stained crimson, but it was for the good of them all. Magic destroyed everything it touched. It was completely uncontrollable, and it was best for such threats to his people to be removed rather than allowed to be turned into more powerful weapons. One day she would see his reasoning, he was sure. And she would thank him for his diligence.

Hearing someone at his study door, Reynard barked out permission for them to enter. He nodded when he was greeted by the sight of Stromwell dragging in another person. "I trust that information has been gathered regarding the assault on my daughter."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back