• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern A comic like superhero roleplay?

Hi everyone.
I am glad this is clearly something we can build a group for. I used to lead roleplays on other platforms, but I am new here so it will take me a moment to see how these forums work. I really like the bbcode functionality in here and would love to take advantage of it to make the roleplay look as comic like as possible. So please be patient with me as I organize myself here, which might take a few days. For now, I could start those of you interested on the character sheet details. Depending on the Archetype you pick, fill this information up with the description in mind.

Basics
Archetype: The?
Full Name: (the name behind the mask.)
Alter Ego: (The name you have when the mask is on.)
Age: Actual age and age appearance if that information applies.
Date of Birth: The RP is set in todays time.
Gender: Please also include preferred pronouns. (e.g. Female She/Her)
Origin: Where did your character come from? this does not have to be in Canada or the US.
Based in: Where in the world is your hero based in. For example everyone knows daredevil is the guardian of hells kitchen. (It's probably best to stay in the US or Canada for campaign purposes.)
Situation: for example, high school student by day, hero by night. Or maybe you live as a nomad with a bunch of trained assassins. This is not only asking for occupation.
Sexuality:
Relationship Status:
Open to Romance:
From 1 to 10. 1 being not at all, 10 being absolutely.

Appearance
Images are a must! this is a very visual RP. You can either draw your own or use a free character designer on the web, there are plenty you can use.
For accessibility reasons, please also include a short description of your appearance.
Civilian Appearance:
Heroic Costume:
Height:
Weight:

History
Perhaps the most important bit about your character. This is where you introduce your contribution to this universe. What you write here becomes cannon, and is information that anyone can incorporate to their own stories or campaigns. If you describe a certain organization, then other players can be aware of it too (unless you specified its something only your character is aware of). If you create a new place, its now a place others can visit too. So take your time with this one and have fun with it.
For the Bull: You are not the only one like you. So tell us about the program that created you. Was it a super soldier program? illegal human experimentation? Describe the people who did this to you and introduce them into the overall story.
For the outsider: please be as descriptive as you can from where you come from! tells us about this new species you are introducing.
For the Legacy: Tells us about the legacy of heroes! Are we all meant to be aware of the lineage?
For the Protégé: How did you end up with your mentor? If you are part of some sort of league of assassins, please be descriptive of it to introduce it into the story.

Relationships
Tell us about any important individuals to your character who will come into play in your own plotline revolving around your character. These characters are NPCs that you could make available for others to interact with as well. This means that sometimes when your OC is not available in a scenario, you can stand in as one of your NPCs. A short description and an image would suffice.
For the Beacon: It would be good to introduce someone close to you who is part of the authorities, to help you get an edge that other heroes don't have.
For the Bull: Someone acts as your anchor, who can draw your softer side. The program you come from wants to use you as a weapon, but this person you care about shows you that you can be more.
For the Delinquent: There is someone who is good and just, but who is so damn full of themselves. They think they can guilt you into using your talents for "good", but they don't care to listen about what you're actually passionate about. Screw them. Let's think of ways to piss them off!
For the Janus: Someone close to you is starting to get suspicious! How is it that every time this hero shows up, you disappear???
For the Legacy: Who is your predecessor? Who are the "council" who remains to judge how well you uphold the mantle?
For the Protégé: You have a Mentor. Who are they. Why do you look up to them?

Personality
Describe your character's personality. What are they like with new people? what are their goals? what motivates them? What are things they like or dislike. What kind of interaction can other players expect with your character?
For the Bull: There is no effect on your personality necessarily once you gained your powers, but you do begin to resent knowing you are meant to be a weapon.

Powers/Skills/Weapons
In this section you have to define what your character can do. This section can technically change as your character grows - but I do recommend not going in the overpowered route, there is only so much fun we can have if your character ends every campaign as the one punch man.
For the Beacon: What is your specialty that makes you a real threat?
For the Delinquent: Whatever your powers are, they allow you to commit a lot of mischief.
For the Doomed: What about your powers dooms you? (Think of Raven from teen titans for example)
For the Legacy: What power or object is passed down to you? Skills do not get passed down.
For the Outsider: Your powers are specific to your species. While you might be a little unique, the other of your species can do most of the things you do.
For the Transformed: What powers did your transformation give you?

Your Nemesis!
Every hero has their nemesis! Batman and the Joker, Superman and Lex Luthor, Professor X and Magneto, Thor and Loki, Mutant Ninjas and Shredder! Who is your nemesis and why? what kind of threat do they pose? What are their motivations? Your Nemesis will yield its own campaign so that you don't have to face them alone and allow other characters to face with you. Note that your nemesis can also be an organization/gang and not a specific person. It can also be a concept! like a curse that has fallen on a town and needs to be broken, or a computer program gaining awareness.
For the Beacon: Most appropriate if your nemesis doesn't have any powers either. Maybe the corrupt chief of the police department. Or corrupt CEO of a pharmaceuticals company. Or a leader of a growing gang in your city. This is not a requirement, but might fit the story best.
For the Bull: Your nemesis comes from the place program you do! Maybe it's another super soldier, or maybe its the mad scientist that experimented on you! Either way your Nemesis and Origin are tightly related.
For the Delinquent: Your Nemesis is the one person who actually makes you want to be a hero, just so you can smack them in the face!
For the Doomed: Your Nemesis can actually be your own powers. At any day it might doom you, and yet you win the fight every day. If you wish, however, you can create an external nemesis as well if it fits your story! you get the flexibility for that as the doomed.
For the Janus: Your Nemesis knows you both with and without the mask, but they don't know the two are the same person! Think Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker.
For the Legacy: Your Nemesis was passed down to you along with the mantle. Maybe it's a similar legacy of villains, or an organization, or ageless enemy.
For the outsider: Regretfully, your nemesis is someone from your homeland. They want to reach this world and threaten it by declaring war on humanity - and you want to protect your new home as well as save the lives of your own people from war. Think of Orm Curry and Aquaman.
For the Protégé:
Your Nemesis is your Mentor! Although you are not aware of it at first.
For the Transformed: This Nemesis constantly forces you to come out into the public looking the way you do, because for some reason you are motivated to stop them. You have the absolute most freedom as the transformed to think of your Nemesis.

I am going to update this form as more questions come so that it's easier to fill.
I will also write up the first campaign once we have established enough backstories that build this world.
I reckon it's a good idea to create a separate character sheet page since this is an interest check, no?

Yes! sorry I plan to do that I more so provided it so you have means to begin brain storming now while I create everything! These are not meant to be posted here.

KyleTok KyleTok So I've played Masks before, in case it wasn't made clear from my last post, and I was wondering whether we're allowed to pick from the non-core playbooks or not. It's fine if we aren't, but I just want to know what my options are.

KyleTok KyleTok So I've played Masks before, in case it wasn't made clear from my last post, and I was wondering whether we're allowed to pick from the non-core playbooks or not. It's fine if we aren't, but I just want to know what my options are.
Haha yeah I got the overall idea that you did. So a few things
  • This is only roughly based on Masks, and instead were going to use it as barebones for a non dice roleplay focused on campaigns. So it's not going to be exactly how you've played Masks.
  • We are going to draw on the general vibe of Halcyon City but we instead will create a whole world of it.
  • unlike Masks, we will have adult heroes as well. I'm thinking 15 and up still tho.
  • I am only using the archetypes in the core playbook as prompts for the heroes that we create and we base the campaigns on those traits of theirs.
  • For now I prefer we use the ones listed - as a starting base. In the future when we have already established a lot of the world we are in, I will add new archetypes from the non-core playbooks like the Reformed or the Harbinger, both of which just wouldn't be a good fit for what I have in store for the start.

Haha yeah I got the overall idea that you did. So a few things
  • This is only roughly based on Masks, and instead were going to use it as barebones for a non dice roleplay focused on campaigns. So it's not going to be exactly how you've played Masks.
  • We are going to draw on the general vibe of Halcyon City but we instead will create a whole world of it.
  • unlike Masks, we will have adult heroes as well. I'm thinking 15 and up still tho.
  • I am only using the archetypes in the core playbook as prompts for the heroes that we create and we base the campaigns on those traits of theirs.
  • For now I prefer we use the ones listed - as a starting base. In the future when we have already established a lot of the world we are in, I will add new archetypes from the non-core playbooks like the Reformed or the Harbinger, both of which just wouldn't be a good fit for what I have in store for the start.
Okay, that makes sense. Anyways, my first choice would be the Outsider, but since a few people are already gunning for it, I'm probably gonna go with the Transformed.

A quick question: are there any distinct... facets? of worldbuilding already set in stone? I am planning to make my character the son of an executive at company that provides water and electricity to a miscellaneous city he is based in, and operates largely without coverage from the local government, but I would hate to write anything that would contradict the lore that you might've already wrote.

I'm looking at Legacy. More of a passing of the torch, kind of thing rather than famous family drama, if that's okay? Either that or a Doomed, although I know people have expressed interest in both.

I have a quiestion! How do powers work in this universe? Are there something akin to mutants/metahumans, where it's genetic, is there some sort of trigger?

Okay, that makes sense. Anyways, my first choice would be the Outsider, but since a few people are already gunning for it, I'm probably gonna go with the Transformed.
Both are similar! but yes no one expressed in the transformed just yet so thats great.
A quick question: are there any distinct... facets? of worldbuilding already set in stone? I am planning to make my character the son of an executive at company that provides water and electricity to a miscellaneous city he is based in, and operates largely without coverage from the local government, but I would hate to write anything that would contradict the lore that you might've already wrote.
I ENCOURAGE you to write stuff like this. I encourage everyone. I have basic world ideas that I will implement but they are nothing that you would be able to step on. If when I read your application I think something is too far fetched or would just hurt the quality of the roleplay, then I would let you know and help you revise it - but creating a company is something I want to encourage because this is an element that now other players will be able to connect to as well! I wont be mad if someone else reads about that company and then mentions it in their own story :).
I'm looking at Legacy. More of a passing of the torch, kind of thing rather than famous family drama, if that's okay? Either that or a Doomed, although I know people have expressed interest in both.
It does not have to be family drama, but the pressure of living up to the name has to be there for this archetype. There has to be people out there whom you feel constantly watched by. It could be of jealousy of someone who wanted the torch to pass down to them instead of you, or it could just be the townspeople who knew the predecessor and constantly compare you to them.
I have a quiestion! How do powers work in this universe? Are there something akin to mutants/metahumans, where it's genetic, is there some sort of trigger?
GOOD QUESTION. I thought about this and forgot to write something about it.
A label does not exist until one of the characters introduces it. I don't like the idea of metahumans/mutants because that is an umbrella terms thats far too broad. The nature of a persons power can be ENTIRELY different from the next, and putting them under the same label is just takes the excitement out of it.
Then there are all the other possibilities. Magical artifacts. Androids. Or perhaps you were blessed by a mysterious glowing orb one Sunday afternoon and now you have the power to create structures made of light. There are far too many ways for one to have powers to label everything, and for that reason I rather we don't. That being said, if you wanted to create a label, you can, but that label has to be specific to people like your character (or nemesis). So if you wanted to create mutant, these are specific type of individuals, rather than all people who are born with powers like they label in the xmen.
One thing I would like to say tho, since you mentioned a trigger. Humans don't inherently have a hidden gift waiting to come out. If that's something that happened to your character, then that is an element specific to them, or perhaps to their bloodline. Lets say it is bloodline, then you are now introducing a special bloodline to the story that allows the rest of us to explore as well.
I hope my answer wasn't confusing, I kinda rambled on.

ALSO HI EVERYONE, I MADE THE CHARACTER PAGE: HERE

If the delinquent is still open wouldn't mind doing a twist on one

Like former low level villian kind of twist

If the delinquent is still open wouldn't mind doing a twist on one

Like former low level villian kind of twist
So the delinquent is not actually a villain in any way. They're meant to be a trouble maker hero. Does good, but gets in a lot of petty trouble. They want to be a hero, but they don't like it when others tell them what to do.

There is an Archetype called "The Reformed" in a later playbook that I am not including in the RP for now, but that basically fits what you have in mind. A villain that becomes a hero. That's a great archetype but I rather only introduce it once we have finished a few campaigns and have established a lot of the world.

Well I was thinking more they weren't really villainous a punch clock villian it was just a job. They wouldn't be very heroic seemingly and mostly seem ibtreeted in goofing off snd money.

Hi! Sorry I've been busy and haven't made it back here. I'm interested in filling out a character sheet, but one question first - I know it says multiple people can base characters off of the same archetype, but are there any that are closed off due to too much interest? Or are we free to make a character for any archetype until more are filled and we see what hasn't been claimed? Because everyone I'm interested in has had interest in it and I wanna make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.

Well I was thinking more they weren't really villainous a punch clock villian it was just a job. They wouldn't be very heroic seemingly and mostly seem ibtreeted in goofing off snd money.
hmm im not sure what you mean, You can give me a quick summary of what you had in mind and I could let you know if it works!
Hi! Sorry I've been busy and haven't made it back here. I'm interested in filling out a character sheet, but one question first - I know it says multiple people can base characters off of the same archetype, but are there any that are closed off due to too much interest? Or are we free to make a character for any archetype until more are filled and we see what hasn't been claimed? Because everyone I'm interested in has had interest in it and I wanna make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.
The Protege doesn't seem to have been claimed by anyone!
I would say I rather only have 1 outsider and 1 transformed for now. Someone already created a character for outsider, SP3CT3R mentioned they want the transformed.
2 people are thinking of two different flavours of legacy.
someone mentioned they might try the doomed.

These are all just interest claims, not guaranteed to actually be claimed because they might ghost haha. So if there is an archetype you're really interested in, I suggest tagging the person you don't want to step their toes on and discuss to see if theyre still planning to create the character.

The character was just a minion they needed money for something thus were hired by some villian. After some villainous work where real heroes noticed they didn't really act very evil they managed to find them off the clock. This lead to a job offer fir the team. The character will but up a wall off I am here to be paid and goofiness to keep others from their secret.

hmm im not sure what you mean, You can give me a quick summary of what you had in mind and I could let you know if it works!

The Protege doesn't seem to have been claimed by anyone!
I would say I rather only have 1 outsider and 1 transformed for now. Someone already created a character for outsider, SP3CT3R mentioned they want the transformed.
2 people are thinking of two different flavours of legacy.
someone mentioned they might try the doomed.

These are all just interest claims, not guaranteed to actually be claimed because they might ghost haha. So if there is an archetype you're really interested in, I suggest tagging the person you don't want to step their toes on and discuss to see if theyre still planning to create the character.

That makes sense. I had ideas for the legacy (probably my first choice) and the beacon (second choice), but if there's too much interest in those at the moment, I can see about making one for the protege instead! That would be a more tentative interest at the moment though, since I haven't thought of a character yet.

Interested!

I'm not too familiar with the MASK RPG setting specifically, but this seems interesting and I understand superheroes.

Is Protege the only unclaimed archetype?

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Strategos Strategos Owlbear Owlbear @yio @ ach1lles ach1lles @ SP3CT3R SP3CT3R @ ebrium ebrium @ Dethrix Dethrix
Sorry for the mention everyone, But I wanted to ask you that if you are interested in creating a character, please go into the character page and start a post with the archetype that you want - even if you are not able to do the whole application yet, you can just say "I want to claim THE X". You can always come back and edit it but I just need to gage the interest in archetypes since im not sure if all of you still intend to create a character. I also need to know archtypes have multiple interests in so I can work with you to make sure theyre flavoured differently.

Karcen Karcen : Doing petty crimes as the delinquent is totally fine, like stealing harmless stuff or ruining public property - but any criminal activity that actively harms others is a no. So make sure you have a clear idea of what you mean by "evil" because inherently the delinquent does not want to actually hurt anyone, they are still a hero under the sass.

@ Excal Excal : You don't have to know the RPG dont worry, I am just basing some elements on it but in the end this is still a post by post RP. It just works in episodes format (campaigns).
They all seem to have interest, but ill allow 2 within the same archtype. Which one are you most interested in?

Also, I forgot to mention to everyone, this would be a semi advanced RP that focuses on longer posts, often with in-depth plots, character development and extensive settings/lore. You must make a dedicated effort to minimize typographical errors and to use good grammar. Generally two paragraphs are enough tho.

Doing petty crimes as the delinquent is totally fine, like stealing harmless stuff or ruining public property - but any criminal activity that actively harms others is a no. So make sure you have a clear idea of what you mean by "evil" because inherently the delinquent does not want to actually hurt anyone, they are still a hero under the sass.

well the crime would be before they were paid to join the forces of good now it would be minor stuff mostly snagging food while on patrol for a snack

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Strategos Strategos Owlbear Owlbear @yio @ ach1lles ach1lles @ SP3CT3R SP3CT3R @ ebrium ebrium @ Dethrix Dethrix
Sorry for the mention everyone, But I wanted to ask you that if you are interested in creating a character, please go into the character page and start a post with the archetype that you want - even if you are not able to do the whole application yet, you can just say "I want to claim THE X". You can always come back and edit it but I just need to gage the interest in archetypes since im not sure if all of you still intend to create a character. I also need to know archtypes have multiple interests in so I can work with you to make sure theyre flavoured differently.

Karcen Karcen : Doing petty crimes as the delinquent is totally fine, like stealing harmless stuff or ruining public property - but any criminal activity that actively harms others is a no. So make sure you have a clear idea of what you mean by "evil" because inherently the delinquent does not want to actually hurt anyone, they are still a hero under the sass.

@ Excal Excal : You don't have to know the RPG dont worry, I am just basing some elements on it but in the end this is still a post by post RP. It just works in episodes format (campaigns).
They all seem to have interest, but ill allow 2 within the same archtype. Which one are you most interested in?

Also, I forgot to mention to everyone, this would be a semi advanced RP that focuses on longer posts, often with in-depth plots, character development and extensive settings/lore. You must make a dedicated effort to minimize typographical errors and to use good grammar. Generally two paragraphs are enough tho.
Jesus christ mate, I finally got a look around the CS and you are COMPREHENSIVE. So far what you've done is incredibly impressive! Well done!

I was initially interested in The Doomed, but see there may be 1 or 2 interested already. Haven't actually seen anything for The Bull yet, may have overlooked though.

As you have stated that the lore will be expanded depending on character backstory, are there any limits to the actual backstory in terms of off limit topics or such?

My initial idea for a Doomed character was one based off a kinda Lovecraftian/Christian Gnostic Cult/Alien archeology set up, but I can work something similar in for the Bull (which seems like a Logan/Wolverine type) with a publicly good religious superhero group that's actually an evil cult sort of business that's converting/setting up brainwashed superheroes to expand their power, with the character having escaped with their granted power before being brainwashed and now looking to uncover the conspiracy (so fits with the human experimentation angle).

Also, I'm not sure what designates a good character design program (I can't draw). Would this be okay? (Character Creator 2D by mochakingup) Or would general reference pictures of characters from other media be acceptable (which is alittle basic I know).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back