• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern A comic like superhero roleplay?

KyleTok

¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯
EDIT: I made the OOC and Character pages, please click the images below:
-

I will leave this page up for joining interest.

ba6f34b41034e1cccf542466bab1b940_original.jpg
Would anyone be interested to RP in a universe roughly based on the themes of the RPG Masks?
Each OC would be based on a different hero archtype - you would create your backstory, define your hero's goal, and name their enemies or other major organizations or locations.
But this would not be a dice roleplay, instead we would just create stories on our characters that would piece together the world we are creating together!
Original character design would be highly encouraged, even if it means using a character dressup tool on the web. (I might even offer to draw up a character)

The hero archetypes that will dictate different story directions include:
The Beacon: You're a hero who should not be a superhero. You don't have any powers, but instead rely on a certain expertise of yours, whether it be bow and arrow, or proficiency with a sword. You're out of your depth but who cares? This is awesome. The story elements surrounding this character will always underestimate and put pressure on the Beacon to have to prove why they belong in the team.​

The Bull: You're big, strong, and tough. You know what fighting really is, and you're good at it. Sure... you've got a soft side, too. But you only show that to the people you care about most. Everybody else? They can eat your fist. This is a hero with a dark origin, some weapons program or human experimentation, that made you so destructive that it scares you. The story elements surrounding this character will often remind them what they are, especially by using enemies that are just like them. An enemy would threatened to reveal something from their past.

The Delinquent: You've got these cool powers. But everyone keeps telling you how to use 'em. You know what they need? Someone to give them trouble, to make sure they don't always get their way. And hey! You're the perfect hero to do it. This is a reluctant hero of sorts that is likely to rebel without a cause as performance looking for an audience. They have powers that allow them to act on a lot of mischief. The story elements surrounding this character are often about them trying to prove a point - which can either result in a listening audience, or them being left cold and alone.

The Doomed: Something about your powers dooms you. It's just a matter of time before your doom comes for you. Until then, though... you've got a nemesis who needs fighting and a world that needs saving. After all, it's better to burnout than fade away... This is a grim hero aware of an inevitable tragedy that will eventually come upon them. The story elements surrounding this character are focused on their growing hopelessness of knowing something that others do not. They often don't see what the point of any heroics are, but it is when the best of the people around them is shown, people who care about them, that makes them want to stay here in this world.

The Janus: Wake up. Breakfast. School. Work. Homework. Sleep. Repeat. It burns you up, being stuck in this life, unable to make a real difference. That is... until you put on the mask. And then, you can be someone else: a hero. This is a hero with major obligations outside of their alter-ego. They are all about the double life, the nature of having two identities. Story elements surrounding this character makes their lives cross over, while putting pressure on them to deter all suspicions about them to keep those they care about safe. A major character arc would be when an enemy finds out whos under the mask.

The Legacy: You're the latest in a storied heroic lineage, a family that shares a name and a cause. Now, everybody is watching and waiting to see if you've got what it takes to uphold that tradition. No pressure, right? This is a hero with big shoes to fill. Typically a child of another superhero taking on the mantle of their parent. The story elements surrounding this character includes their predecessors, alongside rules and traditions they've sworn to uphold. The Legacy constantly has to deal with high expectations, which lead to a lot of bad decisions.

The Outsider: You're not from here. Your home is an amazing place, full of beauty and wonder. But there's something to this place, something special that you're missing back home. Something... human. So yeah, you'll be hanging around. At least for now. This is a hero that comes from another planet, or another dimension. Maybe an alien from mars, or a fairy from a magical dimension. Creating this hero gives a big opportunity to expand the universe beyond the earth we are on. Story elements surrounding this hero will bring trouble from their homeland into the world of humans, and your hero would be torn to choose whether to join their people, or protect the humans from them.

The Protégé: You proved yourself to an experienced hero. They think you've got what it takes. They've been training you for a while, and now you have to decide...do you want to be them? Or will you find your own path? This hero is defined by two things: their training and their mentor. They have a level of skill and preparation beyond that of anyone else - and their story would begin with them having been training for some time in order to get into this life. Their mentor, however, constantly makes the Protégé face conflict of ethics, as their Mentor is slowly revealed not to be a hero at all.

The Transformed: You can recall a time not too long ago when you looked... normal. When you didn't feel their stares. When you didn't hear their gasps. When no one thought of you as a monster. Those were the days, huh. This hero lost their human appearance upon getting their powers, turning into a rock golem, or a sea creature, or thick mist - whatever their new form takes, they can no longer blend in. While other heroes get to take off their masks, this hero's mask always stays on.

The format of the RP would be in campaigns, where a GM would create a conflict and each player can bring in one of their OCs that they see would fit into the campaign. Think of it like the MCU, where individual movies exist on their own, but all of the movies comprise into the universe as a whole. That is what the campaigns would be like, telling different stories and slowly building this world. Campaigns can even be 1 on 1 and still effect the direction of the world, with consequences that can be mentioned in future campaigns. Many campaigns can be focused on a single OC so that we all get to explore that world with them.

Is this something anyone here would be interested in?

Last edited:
Am 200% interested in this! Though I'm not quite certain what hero archetype my character would fall into.

EDIT: Never mind, it would be the outsider. ^^'

Last edited:
If the post length isn't too much

The Outsider Archetype seems like fun

I could be a recurring character who is just always there regardless of story

I'm coming back after a long break from RPN, and the only thing I can remember from before that break was a hero RP I fell in love with. It was really fun, so I think it'd be fitting to come back to RPN with a hero RP too!

I have a feeling I'd definitely fit into the beacon or the bull, but for the latter, it would be appropriate to ask...
Just how strong can a bull be?

Otherwise, I'm definitely interested!

AGHHH I'm stuck between the Legacy, Protege, and Janus. On the one hand, I love creating characters that feel they have to live up to a high standard placed upon them, and the Protege angle of slowly learning their mentor is evil sounds great, but I would also love to make a Spider-Man esque character for the Janus.

Am 200% interested in this! Though I'm not quite certain what hero archetype my character would fall into.

EDIT: Never mind, it would be the outsider. ^^'
Haha awesome. Outsider is usually the most common choice since it gives a lot of room for imagination outside humanity.

If the post length isn't too much

The Outsider Archetype seems like fun

I could be a recurring character who is just always there regardless of story
Yep! your character can have any reason to keep popping up :)
But good to keep in mind we can also have more than one character if we want to explore different domains in the story.

I'm coming back after a long break from RPN, and the only thing I can remember from before that break was a hero RP I fell in love with. It was really fun, so I think it'd be fitting to come back to RPN with a hero RP too!

I have a feeling I'd definitely fit into the beacon or the bull, but for the latter, it would be appropriate to ask...
Just how strong can a bull be?

Otherwise, I'm definitely interested!
I think the point of the Bull is that you are clearly made to be a weapon that others want to abuse the powers of. The nature of the power that gives them strength is totally up to you, but if I were to measure, I would say this is a hulk level type of strong :P.

---
This is already more interest than I expected! I might just start organizing the official post then. I'm new to these forums so I might play around with the bbcode first.
I wanted just to point out that you can also make a non hero character. (whether it be your main or secondary character). There are always the police officers, fire fighters, lawyers, doctors that exist in these stories too and get pulled into unlikely scenarios with superheroes and supervillains. (I plan to maybe play one that will eventually gain powers through being involved in the campaigns).

Also! it's fine if more than one person wants to play the same archetype. I would recommend to pick different archetypes so we can have more variety in storytelling, but the same archetype can still define two entirely different heroes and back stories to explore.

AGHHH I'm stuck between the Legacy, Protege, and Janus. On the one hand, I love creating characters that feel they have to live up to a high standard placed upon them, and the Protege angle of slowly learning their mentor is evil sounds great, but I would also love to make a Spider-Man esque character for the Janus.
Haha spiderman is totally a good example to the Janus. Feel free to ask questions about any of them I might be able to make the choice easier for you.
I can at least tell you the main differences between the three:
  1. Legacy - this can either be inheriting the same power as your parent who is still alive, or maybe its a power that passes on only when the parent dies (maybe it's not an a power at all and it's just an artifact kinda like starman's staff). Either way you take the same hero name of your predecessor, and you are pressured to continue the legacy - that pressure alone leads to a lot of mistakes. Also! it doesn't have to be a parent, it could be an uncle or sibling.
  2. The Prostege doesn't have to be powered, it could totally be a Batman and Robin scenario, except this Batman doesn't have a code, and is willing to hurt others to get what he wants. This mentor pressures you to become like them by making you do bad things, but the hero in you begins to oppose them. In the campaign when we explore the prostege, the Mentor would be the villain.
  3. The Janus is honestly a stressed mess and Spiderman was a great example of it. You run around with your costume in your backpack, because at any moment you might need to put it on. Your friends and family begin wondering why whenever this hero shows up, you seem to be gone! and you constantly have to come up with excuses. Your villain will attempt to unmask you, and reveal your identity so they know who your loved ones are.

Haha spiderman is totally a good example to the Janus. Feel free to ask questions about any of them I might be able to make the choice easier for you.
I can at least tell you the main differences between the three:
  1. Legacy - this can either be inheriting the same power as your parent who is still alive, or maybe its a power that passes on only when the parent dies (maybe it's not an a power at all and it's just an artifact kinda like starman's staff). Either way you take the same hero name of your predecessor, and you are pressured to continue the legacy - that pressure alone leads to a lot of mistakes. Also! it doesn't have to be a parent, it could be an uncle or sibling.
  2. The Prostege doesn't have to be powered, it could totally be a Batman and Robin scenario, except this Batman doesn't have a code, and is willing to hurt others to get what he wants. This mentor pressures you to become like them by making you do bad things, but the hero in you begins to oppose them. In the campaign when we explore the prostege, the Mentor would be the villain.
  3. The Janus is honestly a stressed mess and Spiderman was a great example of it. You run around with your costume in your backpack, because at any moment you might need to put it on. Your friends and family begin wondering why whenever this hero shows up, you seem to be gone! and you constantly have to come up with excuses. Your villain will attempt to unmask you, and reveal your identity so they know who your loved ones are.
AGHHHH THEY'RE ALL SO GOOD I CAN'T PICK

For the Protege, I'll definitely make a deconstruction of the Batman and Robin dynamic, where Robin ends up learning that his Batman is actually a bit of a psychopath. Though I think I'll settle on the Janus. I have an electric superhero that fits the mold perfectly

Haha awesome. Outsider is usually the most common choice since it gives a lot of room for imagination outside humanity.

Yep! your character can have any reason to keep popping up :)
But good to keep in mind we can also have more than one character if we want to explore different domains in the story.

I think the point of the Bull is that you are clearly made to be a weapon that others want to abuse the powers of. The nature of the power that gives them strength is totally up to you, but if I were to measure, I would say this is a hulk level type of strong :P.

---
This is already more interest than I expected! I might just start organizing the official post then. I'm new to these forums so I might play around with the bbcode first.
I wanted just to point out that you can also make a non hero character. (whether it be your main or secondary character). There are always the police officers, fire fighters, lawyers, doctors that exist in these stories too and get pulled into unlikely scenarios with superheroes and supervillains. (I plan to maybe play one that will eventually gain powers through being involved in the campaigns).

Also! it's fine if more than one person wants to play the same archetype. I would recommend to pick different archetypes so we can have more variety in storytelling, but the same archetype can still define two entirely different heroes and back stories to explore.

Sounds lovely! I'll be going with a beacon, a swordsman or a batman-esque sort of character. I can't wait!

This looks like it could be p cool. Does The Legacy have to be related to previous heroes, or can it be something like the various Flashes, where it's a chain of loosely connected people who took on the same mantle?

This looks like it could be p cool. Does The Legacy have to be related to previous heroes, or can it be something like the various Flashes, where it's a chain of loosely connected people who took on the same mantle?
I don't think they necessarily have to be related, but they do need to have a personal relationship. I think this archetype is really strong on the whole upholding certain rules and traditions of the predecessor - which brings in the eyes of those related to it. So like if the predecessor is a parent, you get pressure from the rest of the family. If the predecessor is a mentor of a group of individuals (no family relation), then the pressure comes from the rest of the individuals who were not chosen. The flash kind of fits this mold, but it's not really a flash and kid-flash scenario, its more of a retired flash and new flash.

How much freedom do we get when it comes to archetypes?

Like, say I want to play as the delinquent but I'm not terribly interested in having that many story elements that are about him proving a point, would that be alright?

How much freedom do we get when it comes to archetypes?

Like, say I want to play as the delinquent but I'm not terribly interested in having that many story elements that are about him proving a point, would that be alright?
Good question.

You have a lot of freedom to redefine what these archetypes mean. I think the purpose of the delinquent is to serve as a hero that is passionate about something that others don't deem as relevant or important. They are constantly told (be it by your mentors, team members, family, general public, etc) how they should use their powers, which motivates them to act rebellious. This could also just be a hero who is not ready to be a hero yet, and is expected to be (maybe they hate the fact that they have powers? or maybe they're just lazy, you decide). So making a point could just be them pulling pranks on others to show they can do whatever they want. But, when shit actually hits the fan, this hero would step up to face it with the others.

The point of this archetype is to get into unnecessary trouble to push the story forward.

Each archetype is meant to expand the universe we create - and so the story elements that you create with your character (items, places, people, organizations, etc) are meant to be freely used by other role-players in creating stories that connect everything. so what's most important is that your character has a purpose, goal, and conflict of his own that can bring other players to solve that conflict with you. What is it about them that makes them a delinquent? that's totally up to you.

EDIT:
Since this def has some interest, I will start creating characters sheets and whatever else and will create a topic by the end of the week :) feel free to chat about it here for now.

Last edited:
I’m so interested!! 💖 I love this idea so much. What archetypes are still available/is there still room for me?

I've officially settled on most of the info on my character. I'm thinking he's pretty new to the whole hero thing, to the point he doesn't really have a costume, as it's more of a hoodie, some kind of face and eye covering, and some gadgets he's been able to cobbled together. He's 100% gonna have heavy tired college student vibes

I’m so interested!! 💖 I love this idea so much. What archetypes are still available/is there still room for me?
So far I think only Juno and Beacon have expressed interest in. But despite that we can have two or more of the same archetype - tho I do recommend picking one that is not used so that we have more variety. But yes theres plenty of room. I will probably not get around to creating the official rp until the end of the week, as I would like to organize it well before we do :)
I've officially settled on most of the info on my character. I'm thinking he's pretty new to the whole hero thing, to the point he doesn't really have a costume, as it's more of a hoodie, some kind of face and eye covering, and some gadgets he's been able to cobbled together. He's 100% gonna have heavy tired college student vibes
I like that, totally spiderman before he becomes an official hero vibe haha. This gives a lot of storytelling room too to explore how your character is slowly becoming an official superhero through the campaigns. Maybe one of the other characters is the one who makes your future suit for you :P
order]

Last edited:
So far I think only Juno and Beacon have expressed interest in. But despite that we can have two or more of the same archetype - tho I do recommend picking one that is not used so that we have more variety. But yes theres plenty of room. I will probably not get around to creating the official rp until the end of the week, as I would like to organize it well before we do :)

I like that, totally spiderman before he becomes an official hero vibe haha. This gives a lot of storytelling room too to explore how your character is slowly becoming an official superhero through the campaigns. Maybe one of the other characters is the one who makes your future suit for you :P
I was thinking that! I've also decided that his general power is electricity manipulation, but he uses gadgets to create certain effects. Like he has some sort of gauntlet that allows him to focus the electricity in various ways, special boots that let him walk up metal surfaces, etc. Over time he learns to do these without tech

I was thinking that! I've also decided that his general power is electricity manipulation, but he uses gadgets to create certain effects. Like he has some sort of gauntlet that allows him to focus the electricity in various ways, special boots that let him walk up metal surfaces, etc. Over time he learns to do these without tech
I REALLY like that. for some reason I'm picturing him generating a whip made of electricity lol. I plan to make vector illustrations of the characters we all come up with eventually, and I think he will be very fun character to draw.

Ok so - it's decided. I will start organizing the RP and writing up an introduction to the universe as well as creating the character sheets each archtype needs to fill.
(There are other archtypes that exist with Masks RPG but those are meant to be introduced in the future when the RP is already established, like the Reformed - villain turns hero, or the Harbinger - Came back from the future to stop a catastrophe, etc.)

For those interested, What should we call this RP? I was thinking maybe something like Masked Adventures, but that sounds too meh lol.

I REALLY like that. for some reason I'm picturing him generating a whip made of electricity lol. I plan to make vector illustrations of the characters we all come up with eventually, and I think he will be very fun character to draw.

Ok so - it's decided. I will start organizing the RP and writing up an introduction to the universe as well as creating the character sheets each archtype needs to fill.
(There are other archtypes that exist with Masks RPG but those are meant to be introduced in the future when the RP is already established, like the Reformed - villain turns hero, or the Harbinger - Came back from the future to stop a catastrophe, etc.)

For those interested, What should we call this RP? I was thinking maybe something like Masked Adventures, but that sounds too meh lol.
I might have him learn to do that! I'm also planning on him learning to glide by manipulating static electricity in the air, or something similar. And nice!

Hi, this sounds super intriguing! If you still have any spots open, I would love to play, probably as a Doomed.

This looks extremely interesting! I'm interested if it's still open - especially the beacon, the Janus, and the legacy.

Feeling hype. How outlandish can we make the hero's species/design? I'm thinking of taking on a more animalistic version of what humans would interpret as an angel when in fact it's essentially a different species with similar abilities.

Hi, this sounds super intriguing! If you still have any spots open, I would love to play, probably as a Doomed.
Yep, no one expressed interest for the doomed yet.
YOOOOOOOO MASKS RP
::P
This looks extremely interesting! I'm interested if it's still open - especially the beacon, the Janus, and the legacy.
yup still didn't even start the thread, was mostly just checking interest. Let me know if you have any questions about these, tho keep in mind someone already expressed interest in Beacon and Janus.
Feeling hype. How outlandish can we make the hero's species/design? I'm thinking of taking on a more animalistic version of what humans would interpret as an angel when in fact it's essentially a different species with similar abilities.
Honestly there's no limit to it but as long as its something that you have images or are able to illustrate yourself. the RP will be very reliant on visuals.

Hi everyone.
I am glad this is clearly something we can build a group for. I used to lead roleplays on other platforms, but I am new here so it will take me a moment to see how these forums work. I really like the bbcode functionality in here and would love to take advantage of it to make the roleplay look as comic like as possible. So please be patient with me as I organize myself here, which might take a few days. For now, I could start those of you interested on the character sheet details. Depending on the Archetype you pick, fill this information up with the description in mind.

Basics
Archetype: The?
Full Name: (the name behind the mask.)
Alter Ego: (The name you have when the mask is on.)
Age: Actual age and age appearance if that information applies.
Date of Birth: The RP is set in todays time.
Gender: Please also include preferred pronouns. (e.g. Female She/Her)
Origin: Where did your character come from? this does not have to be in Canada or the US.
Based in: Where in the world is your hero based in. For example everyone knows daredevil is the guardian of hells kitchen. (It's probably best to stay in the US or Canada for campaign purposes.)
Situation: for example, high school student by day, hero by night. Or maybe you live as a nomad with a bunch of trained assassins. This is not only asking for occupation.
Sexuality:
Relationship Status:
Open to Romance:
From 1 to 10. 1 being not at all, 10 being absolutely.

Appearance
Images are a must! this is a very visual RP. You can either draw your own or use a free character designer on the web, there are plenty you can use.
For accessibility reasons, please also include a short description of your appearance.
Civilian Appearance:
Heroic Costume:
Height:
Weight:

History
Perhaps the most important bit about your character. This is where you introduce your contribution to this universe. What you write here becomes cannon, and is information that anyone can incorporate to their own stories or campaigns. If you describe a certain organization, then other players can be aware of it too (unless you specified its something only your character is aware of). If you create a new place, its now a place others can visit too. So take your time with this one and have fun with it.
For the Bull: You are not the only one like you. So tell us about the program that created you. Was it a super soldier program? illegal human experimentation? Describe the people who did this to you and introduce them into the overall story.
For the outsider: please be as descriptive as you can from where you come from! tells us about this new species you are introducing.
For the Legacy: Tells us about the legacy of heroes! Are we all meant to be aware of the lineage?
For the Protégé: How did you end up with your mentor? If you are part of some sort of league of assassins, please be descriptive of it to introduce it into the story.

Relationships
Tell us about any important individuals to your character who will come into play in your own plotline revolving around your character. These characters are NPCs that you could make available for others to interact with as well. This means that sometimes when your OC is not available in a scenario, you can stand in as one of your NPCs. A short description and an image would suffice.
For the Beacon: It would be good to introduce someone close to you who is part of the authorities, to help you get an edge that other heroes don't have.
For the Bull: Someone acts as your anchor, who can draw your softer side. The program you come from wants to use you as a weapon, but this person you care about shows you that you can be more.
For the Delinquent: There is someone who is good and just, but who is so damn full of themselves. They think they can guilt you into using your talents for "good", but they don't care to listen about what you're actually passionate about. Screw them. Let's think of ways to piss them off!
For the Janus: Someone close to you is starting to get suspicious! How is it that every time this hero shows up, you disappear???
For the Legacy: Who is your predecessor? Who are the "council" who remains to judge how well you uphold the mantle?
For the Protégé: You have a Mentor. Who are they. Why do you look up to them?

Personality
Describe your character's personality. What are they like with new people? what are their goals? what motivates them? What are things they like or dislike. What kind of interaction can other players expect with your character?
For the Bull: There is no effect on your personality necessarily once you gained your powers, but you do begin to resent knowing you are meant to be a weapon.

Powers/Skills/Weapons
In this section you have to define what your character can do. This section can technically change as your character grows - but I do recommend not going in the overpowered route, there is only so much fun we can have if your character ends every campaign as the one punch man.
For the Beacon: What is your specialty that makes you a real threat?
For the Delinquent: Whatever your powers are, they allow you to commit a lot of mischief.
For the Doomed: What about your powers dooms you? (Think of Raven from teen titans for example)
For the Legacy: What power or object is passed down to you? Skills do not get passed down.
For the Outsider: Your powers are specific to your species. While you might be a little unique, the other of your species can do most of the things you do.
For the Transformed: What powers did your transformation give you?

Your Nemesis!
Every hero has their nemesis! Batman and the Joker, Superman and Lex Luthor, Professor X and Magneto, Thor and Loki, Mutant Ninjas and Shredder! Who is your nemesis and why? what kind of threat do they pose? What are their motivations? Your Nemesis will yield its own campaign so that you don't have to face them alone and allow other characters to face with you. Note that your nemesis can also be an organization/gang and not a specific person. It can also be a concept! like a curse that has fallen on a town and needs to be broken, or a computer program gaining awareness.
For the Beacon: Most appropriate if your nemesis doesn't have any powers either. Maybe the corrupt chief of the police department. Or corrupt CEO of a pharmaceuticals company. Or a leader of a growing gang in your city. This is not a requirement, but might fit the story best.
For the Bull: Your nemesis comes from the same program you do! Maybe it's another super soldier, or maybe its the mad scientist that experimented on you! Either way your Nemesis and Origin are tightly related.
For the Delinquent: Your Nemesis is the one person who actually makes you want to be a hero, just so you can smack them in the face!
For the Doomed: Your Nemesis can actually be your own powers. At any day it might doom you, and yet you win the fight every day. If you wish, however, you can create an external nemesis as well if it fits your story! you get the flexibility for that as the doomed.
For the Janus: Your Nemesis knows you both with and without the mask, but they don't know the two are the same person! Think Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker.
For the Legacy: Your Nemesis was passed down to you along with the mantle. Maybe it's a similar legacy of villains, or an organization, or ageless enemy.
For the outsider: Regretfully, your nemesis is someone from your homeland. They want to reach this world and threaten it by declaring war on humanity - and you want to protect your new home as well as save the lives of your own people from war. Think of Orm Curry and Aquaman.
For the Protégé:
Your Nemesis is your Mentor! Although you are not aware of it at first.
For the Transformed: This Nemesis constantly forces you to come out into the public looking the way you do, because for some reason you are motivated to stop them. You have the absolute most freedom as the transformed to think of your Nemesis.

I am going to update this form as more questions come so that it's easier to fill.
I will also write up the first campaign once we have established enough backstories that build this world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back