Viewpoint Zombie RP in a new light: Can rp be like a long-running TV show with most characters changing every episode or few? (like TWD, Black Summer, Z nation)

Bullyboy Squad

pure of heart, dumb of ass
Hey fam, I realized a lot of rps that get off the ground seem to die pretty quick. Our continuously shifting interests probably have something to do with it. But it's still a pity.

Most of them have a cast that can't really be changed without basically re-starting the whole thing. New cast, new start, usually the same outcome. But what about those stories that kind of allow character rotation without losing traction and affecting the plot that much?

I feel like "on the road" zombie rps are an example of such stories! Say, you have a bunch of main characters, maybe just three roleplayers who stick around for good, allowing new people to join in. Not really inviting them to stay permanently if they're not ready for such a long commitment, but allowing them to create a character that is around for an "episode or two". Which I assume take/s just a few scenes before the main characters split or new ones get killed/sacrifice for others or just get lost.

What do you think, could that work and help the roleplay survive longer? Have you seen such rps working out? Would you be interested in joining one?

So the longest running roleplays I have ever been a part of were school roleplays.

They each lasted multiple years and the reason was entirely down to OOC engagement. As you indicated there was a core group of dedicated roleplayers in both versions who kept the OOC active. They were pretty close friends and kept each other engaged even when posting in the IC slowed down.

Now the benefit of the school setting is very much what you proposed, you can switch characters out easily. So people would “transfer out” , be “expelled”, or just plain graduate throughout the course of the roleplays.

One roleplay even lasted long enough that the entire setting changed with students leaving the school all together and going on the run.

So the revolving cast idea can certainly work but the most important element isn’t characters or setting, it’s roleplayers. You have to find the core group of roleplayers who are close enough friends they can hang out together for years with or without in character posts.

That part is extremely difficult to find and relies entirely on luck.

Good to know it lasted so long!

I do assume such roleplay can only work if there are at least a few main rpers who stick around even during the quiet times and keep reviving the roleplay when need be. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I actually had an idea for a time travel RP that was episodic in nature. I wanted to do it that way simply because of how large scale the story was. It also would allow for players to come and go as they please. Like, if they only wanted to participate in a single episode they could. It never really took off, though, since there's a lot of other complicated factors to consider.

Honestly, an episodic rp sounds sooooo good. You don’t even have to stay for long if you don’t want to (TV shows are always killing off main cast members) and there’s always someone new to interact with. Sounds perfect really

Hey fam, I realized a lot of rps that get off the ground seem to die pretty quick. Our continuously shifting interests probably have something to do with it. But it's still a pity.

Most of them have a cast that can't really be changed without basically re-starting the whole thing. New cast, new start, usually the same outcome. But what about those stories that kind of allow character rotation without losing traction and affecting the plot that much?

I feel like "on the road" zombie rps are an example of such stories! Say, you have a bunch of main characters, maybe just three roleplayers who stick around for good, allowing new people to join in. Not really inviting them to stay permanently if they're not ready for such a long commitment, but allowing them to create a character that is around for an "episode or two". Which I assume take/s just a few scenes before the main characters split or new ones get killed/sacrifice for others or just get lost.

What do you think, could that work and help the roleplay survive longer? Have you seen such rps working out? Would you be interested in joining one?
a few years ago i was a part of a twd group where it played out more like one long episode (we called it seasons) and there was actually quite a few of us

the group was held up in a small shop where my character worked at (and i think his dad ran the shop too) and i think we were probably there for a few days/couple of weeks in-universe

if i remember correctly, during the climax, a character or two were killed off, and my character and another character ended up trapped in the shop (unfortunately i wasnt there when it took place, which sucked) and our characters were identified as MIA

there was gonna be a season 2 but then stuff happened and it ended before it could even get to even juicier stories

it sucks, its one of the best, if not the best, experiences ive ever had in a roleplay

i miss those days :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back