• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Yu-Gi-Oh: Virtual Reality

Sensei Fox

Eater of Goldfish Crackers
So who remembers the episode in the original series where Seto Kaiba was trapped inside a virtual reality RPG for duel monsters that he created? The rest of the episode was basically the characters trying to beat the game before being deleted entirely. I always thought it was a pretty cool episode and remembered it more out of most of the other episodes because it was fairly unique in the show.

You can imagine I also liked the episode where Bakura traps the souls of each of Yugi's friends in their favorite cards and has them duel in a shadow game. Again, a very unique and fun concept in an otherwise cut and dry card game selling series.

The original series ended a long time ago and I've grown up. I've outlived Saturday morning cartoons like this. Sad to see them go. They did put my foot in the door to the world of anime though. Through that I've found an anime for everything I could want and even more that terrify me as a grown adult. One is the ever popular Sword Art Online.

Sword art online is about a large population of gamers trapped inside a virtual reality game and face permenant deletion from the game and real life. Sound familiar?

What I want to do is fuse these three things into something we can all enjoy. Most SAO threads fail to live up to the hype because the world you play in is fairly vague and people lose interest. I've only ever seen maybe one YuGiOh roleplay ever made and I have no idea how it turned out. I've wanted to make one for a while so here's the basics.

We go with the virtual Duel Monsters world and add the SAO twist of being trapped in it. In the virtual reality world, you play as your favorite card. Your duel spirit (like kurribo for Yugi) will be kind of like your guide/battle partner/friend to help you along the way with the game. (I might switch that up and just have you play as your duel spirit). The only way to get out is to beat the game. The only way to beat the game is to battle your way through monsters and challenges to the final boss. You can go to towns and buy trap and spell cards that you can activate for different one time or one battle effects. I may let you buy monster cards as kind of a battle buddy. Naturally there will be quests and side quests and tomfoolery all around. I'm entirely open to suggestions from anyone that's interested. If you have something to add to this or want to take away then please let me know.

I am really into this! Would there still be a skill system of sorts? Also, would the element type play a bigger role? Would there be a star level maximum for our spirits that grew a we leveled up? Aah, the questions born from unadulterated excitement.

I kind of enjoy the having a partner monster more, but either soounds awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there could still be a skill system. It is an RPG after all. I think I remember monsters in the show having different flashy attacks sometimes. I think you could pull off special attacks and stuff like that. Working the skills in with the spells and traps might take a little defining so that they remain separate and useful mechanics. The attributes and elements would take some defining as well but I think it would work. Small bonuses against certain types depending on your own type without stepping on the effects (skills?) Of your chosen card. As for the duel spirits, I see them as an extension or fusion of the monsters spirit and your own. The stronger the spirit, the stronger the monster you can have. You may even be able to bring out multiples. Good spirits bring out good monster and evil brings out evil. I think as you progress you can grow your duel spirit or add them because your soul would have grown as well.

I call Kuriboh and my buddy will be Winged Kuriboh^^

Could combos be like Xyz Summon, Fusion, Synchro, or even Pendulum Summon?

Like buy a Extra Deckonster with summoning conditions?

Like maybe: Xyz Summon-Kuriboh Dragon(Just made that up) Both monsters have to roll dice and get snake eyes.

I'm thinking about how to incorporate those. They may be like one off cards you get from markets or quests to use in dire situations or to become one for a short time. The conditions of summoning would be tricky with that. You could possibly use yourself and your duel spirit to bring one out I suppose. I'll have to work that out in some way or another. I may just have them as NPCs.

Summoning monsters from cards and using spells/traps will be incorporated but you will have to do combat yourself as well. That's why you become a card or a humanoid fusion of a card or whatever you choose. I would ask that we all use actual cards from the game since there are definitely a lot to choose from by now.

You yourself will probably have a skill tree pertaining to your character somewhat like SAO. It would dictate what you can and can't use so well and other RPG skills. If you have an effect on the card you chose, that becomes a special skill for you. You may also use the effects of your spirit monster if you manifest it (you won't need a card to do it). This is all subject to change as I fit pieces into place.

Maybe the fodder monsters, the ones you have to find and have a smaller amount uses than your spirit monster, can be used as equip things. Fusion monsters, Ritual Summons, and Sacrifices all refer to using the fodder monsters to temporarily shift the form of your spirit animal. As in, say I had a, going from the Kuriboh reserved spot from before, Kuriboh as my spirit monster. If I had another fodder monster at hand I could sacrifice it to transform Kuriboh into say, Castle Gate.

This would be a short transformation, and could only be used by sacrificing the Fodder Monsters. Of course, it would need some work on whether or not you would need certain materials for your monster to have the ability to transform by sacrificing. You could just turn all sacrifice needed monsters into Ritual Style summons, they all needing a certain spell card to bring about the change and subsequent sacrifices needed.

P.S. Was just using Kuriboh as a example. I don't have my eyes on the cuddly furball for this. ^_^

That could work. If we get a little more interest I'll speed up my process of getting these things worked out. I do want to somewhat limit the powerful summons so that our characters are actually still relevant.

Sounds interesting. I'm not sure I understand the systems you've got bouncing round though. I'd play as my favorite card: White Dragon Ninja or it's weaker version, White Ninja. I love the ninja cards.

To be entirely honest, I'm still working out those mechanics myself. I'll probably have a finalized version tomorrow. Anyway, I love ninja cards too so good choice!

He just looks so cool.

WhiteDragonNinja-ORCS-EN-ScR-1E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally lean toward warrior types. Samurai and knights and all. I'm torn between a Six Samurai and a Noble Knight as of right now.

I'm kinda digging the pantaloons. You know what would be hilarious, someone is The Forbidden One's Right Arm. They would just be a Master Hand floating around.

Also, have you figured out the mechanics yet?

Like the arm is just doing The Worm to get everywhere or walking using two fingers like legs. That would be entertaining.

I'm still ironing them out. They won't be quite perfect but they should be good enough.

I'm fairly excited for it as well. Always wanted to be in the game since I saw the episode and the deck master arc of the show.

Alright so here's what I have and it's still subject to change.

This is the launch of the game and everyone is signed on. The number of people signed on at once causes a malfunction that trapped everyone playing inside. Anyone that turned on the game afterwards would also be trapped. One way in, one way out. The way out is playing the game and beating the final boss.

You will play as the monster you choose and have RPG stats that go with that card beyond the attack and defense. You can set your own levels when you make your character and I suggest you look up any lore for your character when doing so. I'll have final say and editing rights. I'll try not to nerf anyone if possible but keep it reasonable. If you have some crazy stat level, have a valid reason why. Your monsters effect, if they have one, becomes your unique stat.

You will have a duel spirit to be your guide and battle partner when needed. Generally it should be weaker than you. They won't require a card for summoning or have any real drawbacks other than you feeling when they are hit or destroyed. They'll have a respawn timer if destroyed. You can also use any of their effects.

Monster, spell, and trap cards can be bought or earned in markets or through quests. Thievery is also an option but heavily frowned upon and risky. There will be a currency system so be mindful. You can even haggle prices and trade.

Summoning monsters takes away from your constitution which will be a stat in game. It will limit how many you can summon so you don't immediately have an army on hand.

You'll be able to carry 60 cards maximum and 15 extra for the XYZ, Synchro, Pendulum, and other special summons. You can use any of them at any time in any order. You don't have to randomly draw. Monsters will have unlimited summons while magic and trap cards have one use, excluding equip cards. There may be some exceptions.

XYZ, Synchro, and Pendulum cards can only be obtained by beating them first through mainly quests and challenges. The card goes to the person with the final strike. The monsters will summon their own cards and effects as well so they aren't as easy to obtain. Once you have them, you'll use the instructions on the card to summon them to the field.

Attributes and terrain will be factors in battle which give compatible monsters and players bonuses. Some attributes will gain small bonuses over others. These will be minor but maybe something that changes the tide of battles.

I'll be running the markets and quests. Every I'll have a page of quests and where to start them and some of the rewards for each. I'll have them separated by the different places where they start and keep a history of who does what. You'll choose 3 quests to have already finished in character creation. I'll work out an XP system as well and keep track of it so you always know where your character is on levels.

I'll most likely be adding to this and I'll have it in more detail once I create an RP page.

I'm going to be in the process of making the thread today so hold on to your butts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back