Your Favorite RP Tropes

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey RPN! You like tropes right? I know I do. For those who don't know, a trope is a story convention. Archetypes are tropes, and so are cliches - but there's a lot of tropes out there!

So, what are some of your favorite tropes? One of mine is Fish Out of Water, when a character or group of characters have to deal with a situation completely foreign to them - the backbone of magical girl and superhero stories, in my opinion ("What do you mean I have powers?!").

My favorite roleplaying trope is "zero to hero".  I use this in a lot of my characters' background stories.  Three of them are politician's, all who grew up in lower-middle class families, and climbed their way up to success.  Others are literally bad-guy fighting bad-assess who took matter into their own hands when they were fed up with how society worked. xD

That's a good one! Everyone loves a good Zero to Hero story. 

Thanks!  Your trope strongly reminds me of Harry Potter. :3

The typical big brother and then father/mother figures. I really enjoy them for some reason; maybe it's simply because I enjoy adding a family dynamic into the roleplay which promotes interaction. c': Also the latter two tend to be older than the rest of the cast, which gives it some variety instead of simply a bunch of teenagers to twenties.

If I had to pick one, it too would be zero to hero. All my role plays are fantasy role plays where I start with nothing except one. So yea, lol

but if we're talking about one not on the list, it'd be a dere dere archetype. One pf the people in my group unintentionally made a tsun tsun dere dere.

Agreed on all points! I also enjoy characters that just act like everyone's family member. It makes it easier to build relationships, but could provide some interesting points of conflict (ie. someone telling off the papa wolf leader of the team for acting too much like a protective dad to his soldiers)

How do you even manage that???

It's honestly a mystery even to me. The more we talked about her character in the Ooc, the more I realized it was really really tsun tsun. Some even said yandere too. xD  Ofcourse none of this came out till we saw her character in action.

One trope I continue to go back to—because I've yet to run out of material to explore—is pitting my protagonist against an [COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]unnervingly similarly antagonist.  For example: Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty, or Al Pacino and De Niro in the film heat.  If done properly, there's an element present where if not for a few separate life events, either character could have ended up in the other's shoes.  And that injects tragedy of circumstance into their inevitable showdown.  At least, it does so for me.[/COLOR]

Face-Heel Turn and Heel-Face Turn... in the same role play... by two different characters. I would pay to see that. I would pay to be a part of that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back