Viewpoint Writing out the roleplay story

MisterBobbyPin

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Does anyone else write a multi part story to their roleplays or is it just me? I seen to enjoy fully fleshing out the story before I roleplay and it just makes it so much more fun for me because I can now focus on characters and the world. Is this just a niche thing?

I get the impression "story" isn't the word I would use for whatever it may be you're describing. Like I'm uncertain if you're talking about making a premise, or if you're saying you make the post's plot elements first and then flesh it out with character and worldbuilding stuff, or if you're saying you're someone who likes to plan ahead / agree on what the plot and its developments will be before hand, or if you're saying you like the story to start after the 'main plot' so to speak...

I get the impression "story" isn't the word I would use for whatever it may be you're describing. Like I'm uncertain if you're talking about making a premise, or if you're saying you make the post's plot elements first and then flesh it out with character and worldbuilding stuff, or if you're saying you're someone who likes to plan ahead / agree on what the plot and its developments will be before hand, or if you're saying you like the story to start after the 'main plot' so to speak...
I think the best way I can describe it is that I like to write out an interactive book.

I guess so, Quest roleplay would be accurate. Sorry for the confusion.

No its ok. Would hardly be the first time other people completely get what someone is talking about and I just get confused with my brain jumping to interpret it. Thanks for humoring me.

So, now to answer the question, nah I love it too. But for one there's not a ton of people on the voting and reading side of quest roleplays, which can be a bit discouraging, and two my previous attempts have proven to me that I need to be able to have more discipline in my writing schedule before I can tackle it.

I plan big moments and have several outcomes for each, based on what happens in between. That's how I balance structure and player choice. It also keeps me invested as a GM, because I'm looking forward to fun scenes.

I don't hyper-plan because then I don't leave room for choice. Better to leave blank space and improvise when needed, instead of rail roading the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back