• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Would you prefer a native RpN App over Tapatalk?

Which one would you prefer?

• RpN App

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tapatalk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Disclaimer: Tapatalk is not going away any time soon unless we got our own app and its still . If we did our own App, it would use the tapatalk framework. So it would be similar in some ways.

So hey all,

Its not a secret that most of us hate Tapatalk and yet we all use it(my evil precious), because while the mobile version of the site gorgeous and super easy to use, it still doesn't beat the convenience of having an app on the home page of your smart phone.

Remember smart phones no matter how awesome their browsers get, cannot beat the ease of an app, considering these devices were made with "Apps" and the "App Ecosystem" in mind.

Basically we were invited by Tapatalk to use their own framework(the coding that powers tapatalk) to submit our own forum app to the iOS app store and the android store. They do this for really big sites.

Basically this means that the app would be just for us and that we could edit the code and do what ever we want and push updates and fix bugs to people's phones.

The draw back for this is that you can't use the RpN app for other sites besides RpN, but at the same time this is what plagues the Tapatalk app, since its not made for any single site, its bloated and constantly has issues and doesn't work with the features of any one site as seen when you use it for our site.

The reason why this is a poll however is because submitting to these stores have some one time fees and stuff that you have to pay and some other things associated with it. And maybe people just prefer the universal tapatalk app instead of something just for us that uses the same framework.

PS. The RpN App would also be free in said stores.

For some reason, Tapatalk never worked right for me... I dunno if it's just not compatible with MetroPCS or what. I'd love to see if a different app fared better.

Is this even a question you need to ask? xD

The one time I used Tapatalk, I got extremely confused and just right out deleted the app. From them, I've used the mobile RpN site & actually love it. However, if we were to introduce a new app, it would certainly be interesting & I would check it out.

As long as gou can get it working for a thrid generation Ipod, then yes, I shall vote for the native app.

I voted for an RPN app, but gosh, y'all have really done great on the mobile usability with the last design update. I've said that before, I think, but it bears repeating.

Totally agree. I personally don't use Tapatalk but instead simply the browser. An own icon and a personal app would be great. *thumbs up*

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]For some reason, Tapatalk never worked right for me... I dunno if it's just not compatible with MetroPCS or what. I'd love to see if a different app fared better.

[/QUOTE]
The frame work would still be by Tapatalk, but we'd be the one submitting it to the app store and tweaking it and maintaining it.

So maybe is all I could say on that.

Haha - Oh, darnit. xD Well - the site works pretty well for me without an app, so there's that, at least xD

Personally I'm looking at this as an investment. Yes, there may be a one-time fee in order to get it established in stores, but if the app is going to be free for the users to purchase, then I believe it will be well worth. In order to plus off of a deal, you have to invest in it. If the app allows RPN users to have full function (or near full function) to the site as well as a clean and simple interface/aesthetic, I think it might be incredibly beneficial to have its own app.

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]Haha - Oh, darnit. xD Well - the site works pretty well for me without an app, so there's that, at least xD

[/QUOTE]
Same here, I can go either way.

But I also understand the convience of older devices and just its nice having an app.

I'm an iPhone user and I love my browsers, but at the same time, iphone and android were made for apps which can do a lot more then just browsers.

Imagine having the RpN crest as an app icon on your home screen ^-^

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]Aw man xD Don't make me sad that it might not work! *lol*

[/QUOTE]
:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

I'd troll site users and occastionally update the app icon with Staff chan in a different outfit. MAYBE USER SENPAI WILL NOTICE HER THEN.

The Premium app might even have special a Staff-chan swimsuit edition....

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]The Premium app might even have special a Staff-chan swimsuit edition....
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Shhh....don't let them into our evil money scheme. The rumormill is going to start working.

Now, my questions are a couple.

• What platforms will you be releasing it on? (Blackberry, iOS, Android, Windows Phone).
  • Will you be working on it yourself, or are you going to hire a staff?
  • Where do you plan to pull these funds from?

@The Dark Wizard

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]
:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
I'd troll site users and occastionally update the app icon with Staff chan in a different outfit. MAYBE USER SENPAI WILL NOTICE HER THEN.

[/QUOTE]
This USER SENPAU NOTICES HER

Harpyie said:
What platforms will you be releasing it on? (Blackberry, iOS, Android, Windows Phone).
iOS/Android

Harpyie said:
Will you be working on it yourself, or are you going to hire a staff?
My self, I mean its made by tapatalk. I can tweak it and add to it as I see fit though unlike the regular tapatalk app.

Harpyie said:
Where do you plan to pull these funds from?
My pocket and that of those that wish to donate.

Tapatalk didn't even work on my phone. I'm okay with using the website on my phone, as I always have, but if you could make an app as awesome as your site, that would naturally be even better!

I would absolutely love a native RpN app! I use tapatalk almost constantly when I'm away from home. I've learned that the app uses less data (for me, dunno about others) so I really can't use the mobile site unless I'm on WiFi since I share 10GB of data between me, my husband, and my grandfather (who is addicted to YouTube and so you can see the dilemma with data usage)

Tapatalk does have so many issues because it's an app for so many forum sites... and I only ever use it for RpN... I'm not part of any other forum. An example being, with it's latest update, my message center in tapatalk is flooded with ALL the PMs I've ever sent or received, even if they are no longer in my PM box physically on the RpN site. This has been an annoyance ever since the update. (as well as the way the integrated Messages and Subscriptions into one page so sometimes I don't notice I have a thread reply waiting to be seen)

Anyway, a native RpN app would be lovely. And would (possibly) fix many issues a lot of us Tapatalk users find so annoying. Once I got used to the new interface, it's a breeze to use. I love it. I just hate all the issues Tapatalk tends to go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back