Witcher Training

The Woods

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna

Reagan kept still as the beast looked away and flew off. Her posture relaxed slightly. 'Did... did it leave?' The constant presence of wingbeats told her otherwise. 'Nope. It's still hanging around. At least I'm low to the ground. Though I think my leg is cramping. Man, it'd suck if it was. Then I'd probably shout about it.' Reagan slowly, quietly adjusted her posture so she was lower to the ground, and relieved some stress on her leg. 'And now I don't have to deal with that. I just have to deal with a large flying monster that finds its prey via sonic location. With two other students. After being does with a mutagen that enhanced my senses and natural abilities. And changed my eyes.' Reagan paused trying to register everything, keeping her breathing quiet. Her expression shifted towards mild surprise. 'If I wasn't experiencing this right now with those two, I'd think I'd gone crazy.' Reagan stayed still, low and quiet, waiting for the yrthak to give up already, like how she had given up trying to make sense of the situation.

The Woods

@TommyGun15 @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25

Valian didn't move, lowering himself until he was almost flat.  Desperately, he thought of how to get the creature away from his brother and Sparky.  It was then that he sighted a rock.  How much distance could he get?  Probably not as much as he wanted, but he would try.  Distracting the thing, getting it away from the others, would be the best result.  So the boy raised himself ever so slightly, grabbed the stone, being careful of his movements, trying to keep from rustling any of the plants around him, wound up, and threw it.

Again, his increased speed surprised him, sending the projectile soaring out from his hiding place.  It struck with such velocity that it embedded itself halfway through a tree 30 yards from his position.  His eyes widened and he slowly sank down again.

The Woods

@folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25

Mere seconds after the rock hit the tree, the Yrthak swooped low over it, demolishing it with another sonic detonation.  It landed on the ground and began to pick through the rocks and bits of scattered tree, constantly screeching all the while.

Once the Yrthak figured out that there was nothing to eat in the tree, it let out a frustrated scream, turning and firing it's sonic attack into the woods.  By blind chance, the attack whistled by the group, a focused beam of sound that passed so close to Reagan that her hair was swept to the side.  The beam hit behind them, showering them harmlessly with bits of rock and splintered wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Woods

Reagan's breathing had calmed. It seemed like the yrthak was going to leave, and they could move around, maybe get some more answers. Figure out if being left alone to fight monsters was going to be a regular thing or not. And then Valian threw a rock, with a sound that shattered the relative silence, causing Reagan to flinch. The crack the stone made when it embedded itself in the tree was similar to lightning, attracting the beast. The beast that seemed really frustrated and screeched in her general direction, throwing her hair to the side and briefly into her eyes. The sound lance itself was deafening, leaving her now more sensitive ears ringing in response. 'Why did he do that?! It was giving up!' She stood frozen in fear, waiting for the yrthak to make it's next move.

The Woods

The Yrthak continued to stare in their general direction for several minutes, "listening" with the odd sensory organ on it's tongue.  Then it let out one final screech before flapping it's wings and swooping into the air once more.  It circled for a few seconds longer before the sound it it's wings grew distant, and finally it was gone.

Geralt  reappeared, or so it seemed.  One second they were alone in the woods, and the next Geralt seemed to simply melt out of the trees.

"Not bad.  Throwing the rock was a good idea, if poorly executed.  The important thing is that you all kept quiet, and kept calm.  Most people make the mistake of panicking when a Yrthak starts time fire it's sonic lance, not realizing that the Yrthak is trying to scare them into making noise.  Of course, most beasts won't be blind, but the same strategy still applies.  Now... let's see if you three were paying attention.  You all just saw the Yrthak up close.  From what you've seen, can any of you tell me what the Yrthak's weaknesses might be?"

The Woods

Reagan's heart tried to explode out of her chest, stay good day, and run to the hills and the yrthak kept watching and her ears kept ringing. When it finally left for good, she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, with the ringing disappearing during that time, replaced by the sound of her heart. She was looking forward to calming down, assessing the situation, and maybe building a thing or three. Then Geralt decided to reappear from wherever he was hiding. Reagan jumped significantly higher than she would have previously, stumbling on the landing. 'Right, need to get used to this.' 

Geralt's question, to her at least, seemed simple enough. "It looked like that engorged thing on its tongue, it seemed to move to wherever there were sonic disturbances, like the rock. If I was going to fight it, I'd bring things that made loud noises as distractions, disable that organ, shred the wings so it couldn't fly away, and attack from range. I'd also like to have rope on hand to tie its mouth shut. Is that thing immune to lightning, by the way?" Reagan thought a little longer, snapping her fingers in realization. "Oh! Is this going to be a regular thing?" Reagan nodded, thinking she had everything covered, forgetting to ask how long she'd been out.

The Woods

@shadowstrikr25 @folclor

Grim closed his eyes as the beast shot it's terrible scream towards them. Though it looked like Reagan got the worst of it, Grim looked over at her hiding spot, glad she was still up. 

After a few tense moments of watching and waiting, the idea of somehow getting the claymore mine into it's throat seemed like a good one. The augmented otter watched as it screeched before flapping into the air and flew away. He remained under cover until he saw Geralt come out and ask and Reagan step up to answer. Looking around once more, trying to find Valian, he crept out of the backside of the bushes and tried to move with all the stealth he could, each foot fall rolling on the pads of his foot paws, careful to avoid deadfall and dried leaves and twigs. To his super acute hearing it was though he were just waking, but to (at least Reagan, possibly Geralt) the others it should sound like just background forest noise. Ideally he'd like to surprise both Geralt and Reagan, but he would settle for just Reagan for now. Under normal circumstances, being a creature of nature he would have been difficult to hear.

Once he was behind her he stepped out and spoke. "I would agree, the bulge on its tongue seemed like a weak point. If it acts as its eyes and ears." Looking to Reagan and nodding. "Then taking that out quickly would blind and disorient it, making it easier to take away its flight advantage." The sound of his voice without the accent sounded like someone else talking. He frowned at that, wondering what other changes has taken place. 

The Woods

@Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25 @TommyGun15

The seconds stretched into minutes as Valian waited for the creature to leave. His body tensed, feeling he'd messed up horribly as he heard the thing looking for something. He only hoped Reagan and Grim were well hidden. Though it felt like an eternity, it wasn't long before the creature flew away. Slowly, he began to emerge from his hiding place. Well, for him it felt slow. To the others it likely seemed as anyone moving at normal speed. Still, he managed to keep from disturbing much of the foliage as he went.

Walking at this pace was painful to him. As Valian approached the group he weighed his options on whether to continue this way or walk normal speed. So the boy picked up the pace. His normal speed might as well have been running for most people.

"Yeah, I'd say that thing would be the best target as well. And I'm aware i didn't execute my distraction well. Give me a break. You try this sorted increase. I'd like to see how you'd handle it." The illusion was broken and now Grim would see his brother's new appearance.

The Woods

Geralt nodded as the students gave their answers, neither Grim's silent approach nor Valian's quick steps seeming to surprise him.  He'd expected them to be faster, although perhaps not by this much.  So far the girl didn't have any particular specialties, but they'd have to wait and see.  She might excel at potionmaking, or perhaps the use of signs.

"You're on the right track.  By destroying a Yrthak's tongue, one can render it effectively blind.  However, you didn't mention the horn on top of it's head.  The horn is hollow, the shape of it's inner cavities acting as a sound amplifier that the Yrthak uses to focus it's screams into it's sonic lance.  But the horn itself is fairly soft af horns go, because if it were too hard, the sounds would shatter it.  But since it is soft, a solid blow can shatter it, preventing it from using it's sonic lance.  Now...  did any of you notice the Chameleon?"

Geralt pointed slightly above them, to the empty canopy.  No... there was something up there, a slight movement as something seemed to freeze in it's spot as Geralt looked it it's diection.

The Woods

@shadowstrikr25 @folclor @TommyGun15

Grim looked to his brother as he walked up, raising an eyebrow and mouthing the words. 'What the bloody hell?!' Seeing the stark white hair and cats eyes. The shock on his face was there briefly, but Valian would see it. 

Looking back to Geralt he nodded along with what the alchemy teacher was saying about the sonic beast. 'And a claymore mine in its maw would solve both problems.' His arms folded over his chest. He had smelt something odd when he joined Regan, bit couldn't place the scent. He'd never dealt with that scent before, so he chucked it up to something left behind by either the Yrthak's attack or Geralt. 

The augmented otter shrugged and nodded looking to thing, the chameleon. Now that he knew what it was and knew where to look, he could see how it was hard to see. But as he concentrated, some of those new colors filled on the visual gaps covered by the creatures abilities. " It's got a unique smell to it, and it does a good job of blending in but it can't match all the colors around it."  His voice still bothered him. 

The Woods

Geralt chuckled as Grim pointed out the regular sized chameleon in the tower branches of the canopy.  He tapped Grim on the shoulder and pointed past the small lizard. 

"Not that chameleon."

Without warning, a massive tongue lashed out and wrapped around the small lizard, pulling it into the higher branches where it vanished with a loud SNAP!

"That chameleon."

Geralt dropped a burlap sack at Grim's feet, containing three silver swords enchanted to fight unnatural creatures like this one.

"Don't worry about how big it is.  You kids should be able to handle it.  Which is why your next test isn't to kill that thing.  No...  I rather liked that smaller chameleon.  It would make a nice class pet, wouldn't you agree?  So, I recommend you be careful how you kill the beast."

The Woods

Reagan was waiting for Geralt to tell her if she was right or wrong, when Grim popped out of nowhere behind her. She spun around and steadied herself, wobbling a little. "Whoa... need to get used to this. Like learning to walk again. And that is a neat horn. Might want to incorporate it into some kind of stun device." She allowed her mind to wander until Geralt mentioned the chameleon. Reagan looked around, spotting it after Grim did, looking at it in confusion. "Well when was that-?" And then a larger beast decided to make a meal of it. "Please tell me you don't-" The clatter of silvered steel at Grim's feet made her realize exactly what Geralt wanted them to do.

She allowed herself a groan, picking up one of the swords and sticking it in the ground. Her hands crackled with electricity as she aimed at where that large tongue came from. At that point, she didn't quite care about the tree, or the forest, or anything else that was going on. She needed to take out her anger on something, and that unlucky beast was free game. With her face twisting in anger, she launched her bolt at where she thought the beast was. She grabbed the sword out of the ground, a little happier. "Even if that did nothing, it felt really good."

MANA: 98%

The Woods

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25

Lillith walked into the forest with an amused grin on her face. She shifted her form to that of a young child that she had killed many years ago. She couldn't remember her name. As always, her blue eyes remained and, as did her black hair.

She would always be the Blue Eyed Queen.

The child who was still Lillith jumped up into a tree with alarming ease for someone so small, and laid out on a branch. She was waiting for the perfect opportunity to cause some trouble. She was as quiet as one who had been hunting her entire life would be expected to be.

She grinned as she stared down at the group of students. She wondered if she should interfere.

After a brief moment, she decided that she should.

Lillith jumped above the branch that she could smell the Chameleon on, and "fell" down. She screamed as she was hit by Reagan's lightning. While it did hurt, she had been electrocuted before...okay several times. 

Either way, her childish screams of pain were genuine as she continued to fall, her skin slightly charred. It would heal quickly, of course. It always did. But at the moment, her skin was still charred.

Bath.jpg

The Woods

@Lunaria Silver @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25 @TommyGun15

Valian realized, from his brother's reaction, that his illusion was no longer active and took the time to reinstate it.  Shaking his head, he mouthed, 'I'll tell you later.'  Blond hair and blue eyes now reflecting as they used to, he listened to the teacher, frowning a bit.  "You know, I'd appreciate it if you people wouldn't spring this stuff on us so quickly.  It's gone from 'wake up,' to 'let's fight a giant lizard.'  I don't know what you wanted to do with your day, but this certainly wasn't what I had planned."  He tried to move at a normal speed, but failed, stooping to choose his sword from the sack.  "You know, I wouldn't be surprised at all if people started falling from the-"

At that moment, the screams of a young girl echoed through the clearing.  His eyes widened, instincts kicking in.  Whirling, he leaped into the air, aiming and throwing the sword at the lizard.  His aim was true, leading to the silver sword sticking out of the thing's neck.  Now that he had a hit on it, hopefully distracting it from the girl, he rushed, catching her before she could slam into the ground, a hit that would likely end her life.  Once they were safely on the ground, he set her on her feet.

"Get out of here, it's not safe!"  Gently, he reached into his pocket, pulling out a healing potion he'd meant to give Grim.  This girl looked like she needed it more now.  "Here," he pressed the glass bottle into her hand, "drink this.  It will heal your wounds."

With that, he turned, not holding back his speed this time as he started to climb a tree, going for his sword.  If he could, he would regain it and kill the creature.  'Who would let a child into these woods?  I suppose it was safe before but...'  He looked over his shoulder at the girl for a moment, then turned his attention back to the monster.

The Woods

Lillith grinned as Valian caught her, quite pleased with him. He seemed to have already gotten faster. She was excited to see how he would change. When he handed her the potion, she looked up at him with a look of false gratitude. "Thank you!" She called as he climbed up the tree. Instead of drinking it, she tossed the potion at a tree, shattering the bottle.

She waited a moment for her wounds to heal before she climbed up the tree after him. It was interesting. He seemed to be the same speed as her now. Interesting. Except...he didn't seem to be able to control it.

She wondered just how...heroic...he was. It would be good to know a little something about who he is before the change.

"I want to help!" She called in the voice of a child from directly below him. "Let me help!"

She really wanted to see just how protective he was over somebody that he felt he had to protect. On top of that, she didn't want him to become a Witcher, whatever that was.

Valian was hers now.

Lillith tried to formulate a plan. She would rather not have to hold him down to change him. The change was easier on them when they had given their consent. She knew that it would involve the otter boy, somehow.

The Woods

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @Lunaria Silver

Reagan heard the child's scream and instantly felt a little bad about it. She hit the thing, but hitting the... 'Why is there a really young kid here?' Reagan's mind shifted focus, thinking about why the kid was there. She started watching, seeing the kid shatter the potion and heal on her own. 'OK, something's up. I am not dealing with anything other than a giant chameleon.' Reagan dashed over to the kid, stumbling to a stop. 'Still need to get used to this.' This kid was probably bad news, given how weird she was acting. Reagan shot a look at Valian, trying to urge him to move away. "Kid! Safety is that way!" She pointed towards the Academy with her sword. "I think we've got this covered." 'Please tell me this is going to go smoothly.' Reagan stood there, watching the kid, waiting to see what was going to happen.

The Woods

@folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25 @Lunaria Silver

The chameleon looked down at the small group in front of it, it's primitive mind wondering which one it should attempt to eat first.  The near-miss lightning attack certainly discouraged it from one target.  As it continued to look around, it felt a hot, stabbing pain in it's neck.  It turned towards the source of the pain, spottting one of the group rushing it.  It's eyes darted around at the thing that caused it pain, then in the direction it was heading.  It opened it's mouth, and it's tongue darted out, flying in front of Valian at blinding speed.  Normally it would've been a far miss, but at the speed Valian was running, he ran a serious risk of running headlong into the beast's sticky tongue if he didn't do anything.

Meanwhile, in the confusion Geralt had vanished again.  So, this was what she'd meant.  Very well then, he would not interfere.  But it was too late to stop the boy from being a Witcher, at least phyiscally.  If she wanted to kep him from his training, that was up to the Headmistress, but it wouldn't do the boy any good if he didn't learn to use his new physical abilites properly.

The Woods

@Lunaria Silver @shadowstrikr25 @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @TommyGun15

Valian did not hear the glass shatter, nor did he see it, but he did notice the little girl had a speed that was near his.  He frowned deeply.  "No! Get down!"  At least Reagan was on his side on this.  "Climb down and go to the Academy or the City.  This is not your fight."  If this girl was anything like his little sister that wouldn't be enough to deter her.  'I can't make a move with her here.  She'll try to follow or emulate...'  He was distracted, stuck.  'Fuck it...'  He reached down and grabbed hold of the girl's hand.  At that moment, he noticed the tongue he was headed toward and dropped his hold on the tree, protecting the girl's body from harm as they fell.  He absorbed the shock of the fall, wincing as he felt the pressure on his bones.  How was he still standing?  He didn't know, but he wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Quickly, he carried the girl out of harm's way and set her down on the ground, kneeling so he met her gaze.  "Listen, thank you for wanting to help, but you need to get out of here.  Go somewhere safe."

The Woods

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @Lunaria Silver

Reagan screamed internally as he either ignored or misinterpreted her glare. 'Idiot! Little girl! Battle zone! Not! Supposed! To happen! Think for a few seconds!' The tongue, and the beast it was attached to, made for a convenient target for her to take out her rage she raised a single hand, blasting the creature's mouth with a bolt of lightning. She saw Valian get the girl out of the way, and looked to him, then the beast, then back again. 'Grim can handle himself for a few seconds.' Reagan followed, providing backup for Valian, still thinking this was really suspicious. 'I half expect her to be attached to some sort of giant mutant fish thing. That's exactly what's happening, isn't it?' She stood behind Valian, watching his back, looking at the girl. "Seriously, this is not the best place to be right now! Get moving!" 

The Woods

@folclor @shadowstrikr25 @TommyGun15 @Lunaria Silver

Shook his head let out a small frustrated sigh. 'That's what I was talking about.' 

Looking to his brother, nodding as he picked up the remaining sword. 

He gave it a once over, a bit heavy. Unbalanced for its length, probably because of the silver. 'I hate swords, so clumsy.' Resting the longsword on his right shoulder he watched as Reagan blasted up at the chameleon, and was chuckling at his brothers words when he heard the scream. "Oh for fucks sake!" Glad his brother was so quick on reflexes, catching the child. It was then he picked up her scent. Old stone, cobwebs, death and a smell that he was starting to associate with magic. Glancing over at her he saw the striking blue eyes and raven black hair. 'I doubt you're actually a pup.' The otter shook his head and decided to let Reagan and Valian handle the not-child. 

Sliding the unbalanced sword into his belt, wishing for his own weapons, the augmented otter leapt into the tree. Slightly over shooting the lowest branch, but managing to land on it instead on grabbing it.

Looking to the giant chameleon as it was focused on Valian,  glad to see the sword Valian thrown still sticking out of it. Grim drew his sword, leapt at the beast. His sword gripped in both paws came crashing down, not on the beast but at the branch it was resting on. The cut going right through it; using the resistance of the branch cut the otter propelled himself up and over, twisting in midair. Releasing his blade and grabbing onto Valian's blade as the chameleon started to fall with the branch. Gritting his teeth, falling with the creature, he used his body's momentum to wrench the sword around it's neck trying to behead it, before or as they land. 

The Woods

Lillith's eyes filled with tears as she sniffled at Valian. She really needed to get to the otter boy. She had an idea of how to do that, but the situation would have to present itself first.

"But I can't leave without my brother! We were playing hide and seek, and I was supposed to be hiding!" Her acting was actually quite believable. This was probably because she already acted like a child. "I think I ran too far, and now I'm lost! I want to help! What if that creepy thing ate my brother?"

She made sure she was loud when saying this, so that everyone around her would hear.

"I'm really fast! I can help! Let me help!"

The Woods

Valian felt for the girl, imagining his own sister lost in the woods at this age.  "I don't think it ate your brother.  Come on, let's go look for him.  What does he look like?  Where did you see him last?"  He glanced at Reagan, glad to have her support.  Truly, he didn't like a situation where a child was in danger and would do everything he could to help the little girl find her brother and get home safely.  It was highly unlikely that the lizard had eaten anything, but now he had to worry about the possibility of other unsavory creatures.  "What's your name?  I'm Valian and this is my friend Reagan.  We'll help you find your brother but you've got to leave the monsters to us."  'Sorry, Grim, I really hope you have this on lockdown...'

The Woods

Lillith wiped her eyes and stopped crying. "Really! You'll help me find him?" She would have to come up with something else. She was beginning to get bored, and her little joke wasn't getting the results she needed.

Or perhaps she could just...do what she wanted.

"Well, he's tall, see? Great big!" Lillith stated as she smiled up at Valian. A gap in her teeth was visible. But her fangs were also there. Of course they weren't all that prominent at the moment. She held her arm up above her head to show how tall he was.

"He's blonde, too. Just like you! And his eyes are also blue." Her grin faltered a bit as she looked down. "The last time I saw him..." She whispered. When she looked back up at Valian, she was smiling again.

"His name is Nathan, you know." That time when she spoke, the voice was her's. Not the child's. Obviously, she never viewed Nathan as a brother, but it sounded good at the time. "I think I came from over there, so he has to be in that direction, right?" Her voice was back to a child's voice as she pointed in some random direction deeper in the forest.

Lillith couldn't help but wonder if Valian would put the pieces together. She honestly didn't care whether he did or not.

The Woods

At first he was happy she'd stopped crying.  Very good.  They were getting somewhere.  The girl began to give a description.  While Valian may've found the fangs strange, he knew this world was home to many different races and beings, so he wasn't alarmed by it.  However, when he heard that voice and she said that name, realization dawned on him.  "Heh, sure.  One moment, okay?  I just need to talk to my friend really quickly."  He stood and walked over to Reagan.  Grabbing her arm, he led her a bit away from Lillith.

For several minutes, he didn't know what to do and he stood, almost frozen, right hand lifted, index finger partially pointed as if he were about to begin gesturing.  Finally, he shook his head.  "Okay.  We have a problem..."  She probably already knew.  "Gods, I'm an idiot...  Th...That's not a little girl.  That's a... a... thing.  I don't know whether it's a vampire or what...  Yesterday she drained my blood.  I almost died from it."  What was he getting at?  Could he kill a little girl?  Unsure, he glanced over his shoulder at Lillith.  That wasn't a little girl...  He turned his attention back to Reagan.  "So... can we go back to fighting the lizard and then... maybe team up against her afterward?"

The Woods

@folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25 @Lunaria Silver

The chameleon screamed as the lightning hit it, starting to panic.  Despite it's size it was an ambush predator, unsuited for open combat.just as it began to take it's slow, careful steps away from it's assailants, the branch beneath it shifted and began to fall.  It felt the piece of metal in its neck wrench as Grim threw his weight against it, and as it landed, the giant chameleon's head sailed off.  Slowly, the smaller chameleon crawled out from the body of the giant.  Geralt stepped out of the trees and scooped up the foot-long reptile.

"Risky, but effective.  That's good, a Witcher shouldn't be afraid to take a few risks now and then."

Geralt picked up one of the silver swords he'd given them as the chameleon began to crawl up his shoulder.

"I swear I'm going to murder whoever made these pieces of garbage.  The enchantments is good at least, but the balance is all wrong.  You go with a heavy pommel, and a thin blade, and a decent smith should be able to sort out the weight differences... wait, they used pure Silver?  *sigh*  I told them to use an alloy.  Pure silver is too soft to make a sword out of."

Gerald shook his head, turning towards the section of woods that led to the school.  He turned back to Grim.

"Walk with me.  I never really explained to you what a Witcher is did I?  That, and a certain brat is calling in a favor I owe, and we have to leave.  Well,  you, Reagan, and I have to leave.  If you would let her know I'll explain what I can back at the school."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back