• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy WIP - The Winds of Change II: Ascension

Scottybird Corvus

Avenging Thread God
It's been 79 years since the so called "Psionic Flood", or more commonly known as the "year the world went to hell" and abbreviated into "Day One". These names all reference the emergence of ESPers, Superhumans and even the Mage bloodlines. 79 years since all things thought impossible became possible. These beings of immense power horrified the world, but gave it hope as well. Villains and heroes, the Paranormals as they had become known as emerged from our very midst and wrought terrors and miracles, saved and took lives. While our relations with these Paranormals has been rocky at best, things are beginning to turn around for them.

Some time after both the Superhumans and the ESPers had finally made a place for themselves in our society, a scientific research center called Allagi Corporations opened, and with the backing of world governments and powerful companies everywhere they began to put together the mysteries of all things supernatural. They even proved that it was possible to create an ESPer without the individual being born with it. However, when they could not recreate it and their methods of creating it were released to the public, Allagi fell from grace. Going bankrupt, they had to shut down. However, not all of the organization ceased to operate.

The former lead researcher, Thomas L. Penn, took much of the equipment and even many test subjects and fled alongside many of the other scientists. They found their way into the illegal markets, began using illegitimate partners to fund them, and began researching weapons as well. The experiments of Allagi turned from pure science to full on warfare. However, they stood against one main problem if they wanted to succeed: Ispus Academy, school for the Paranormals.

Ispus had been operating for over 40 years, and they took in Magi, ESPers and Superhumans alike. They were secret, and all but those attending and teaching believed it to be a school for the highly prestigious and gifted. However, they were teaching the children how to use their powers and then sending them to act as guardian angels for the city the school was based near. They would do everything from saving people from fires to stopping gang wars. Those who were in their last year as students were even allowed to take on corrupt Paranormals.

Two young teams of heroes stepped out away from the bounds their teachers had placed on them and pursued different goals, each accidently uncovering different parts of a plan set in motion by Thomas L. Penn to dominate the world through the shadows. The two teams fought as best they could over two years to subdue all Allagi projects, and were winning. However, things took a turn for the worse just as they were beginning to finish off the organization.

Randal Peterson, an ESPer of immense telepathic power and with evil intent, had been "converting" the citizens of the city and of major groups like Allagi itself to follow his will. He used his telepathy to either convince a powerful individuals of political, economic, or even Paranormal disposition that his master plan was the way, or else he used his powers to plant orders in their minds that when triggered, they would be unable to resist. His plan: beat Thomas L. Penn at his own game. Randal too sought to control the world around him, but for a different reason it seemed.

Using his army of followers, Randal began to decimate Ispus Academy and all it's students and teachers, the largest threat to his cause. He fought a bloody Paranormal war with the Academy, but in the end he was defeated. Before he could be contained, however, one of his thralls took up a gun and killed him.

The dust settled, and the Academy was brought into the light as heroes. The two teams that sought so valiantly to defeat Allagi were recognized in the highest, and the Academy was rebuilt with the aid of multiple governments. Allagi was rooted out, and with Randal gone the threat of imminent world domination was gone.

It has been six years since these events, and the Paranormals are having an easier time interacting with our society, seen now more easily as heroes. Some, however, still haven't found a place to fit in and live a life unbefitting of another human being. Some even still live normal lives, hiding their powers. Some have taken to solo or group vigilantism and are making a name for themselves. And some even fit all of these bills.

This is the world we live in, and this is the beginning of yet another tale. A tale of the Paranormal, a tale of treachery and adventure, and a tale of misfit heroes. This is the tale of Ascension.

[QUOTE="Revan The Courier]Was all you wrote here from a previous rp?

[/QUOTE]
Odd way to word your question, but yes, mostly. The game itself fell apart rather spectacularly after one of its members stopped logging on at all. Put such a huge kink in the game that it just stopped in its tracks.

So while many of these events didn't happen in the role play, they were supposed to.

So here's the plan, people: I'm gonna be posting more details and exploring the idea as I go. I won't divulge much that will give away the plot, but I'll be divulging the mechanics of the world and some of the characters, too! Formatting as news articles, conversations, bios, etc... This will be a slow process as I am currently running multiple other games and are focusing on them, but expect to see some little tid-bits as I get my ideas better into words.

The following passages are excerpts from the book "ESPers: Their Past, Our Future" by Prof. Austin Faust, the Paranormal History teacher at Loftheim University in Norway. While the book does give an accurate description and a detailed history of ESPers, it is riddled with editorials on how the ESPers are the next evolution of humans and that all of humanity will be ESPers in the near future.

"ESPers are beings who's minds are so powerful that they can pierce reality and then tear it asunder. The potential power of these minds are great and mostly untapped." (Faust, pg. 1)

"During a meeting between neurologists Terence Gregors and Lincoln Pinkley in 1937... the Gregor-Pinkley theory of Psionic Growth was proposed. [According to the theory] even a Level One telekenitic could achieve the mythic status of a Level Seven psychometer with proper training. The two scientists spent 28 years attempting to prove the theory... [but] were met with nothing but failure." (Faust, pgs. 125, 129, 149)

"Psions as physics defying intellectual savants have existed well before written history, a fact now known for just under a decade. 8 years ago, a team of archeologists in Turkey... discovered upwards of 23 individual carvings of scenes depicting what appears to be men killing animals with their minds... [dating back to] Circa 31,000 B.C." (Faust, pg. 170)

"... research done by Allagi Coperations in 2010 revealed that an ESPers' overwhelming mental prowess comes from a specific gene previously thought to be in a junk cluster. The gene, named [name obscured]**, was responsible for allowing an ESPer to perform inhuman feats such as raising a stone with his mind or reading the mind of another." (Faust, pg. 224)

"While not all geniuses display Exta Sensory Perception, all ESPers are geniuses. And while this is still a rare ability, it will soon be so common place that those without will be shunned. This is the world we will soon live in." (Faust, pg. 387)

*USA $95, Canada $130

**To read the omited portions from this preview, please purchase a copy at a nearby university bookstore or the eBook at http://www.LoftheimU.edu/coursework/Paranormal History/textbooks/Faust.html

***To contact Professor A. Faust, please send all question or comments to fausta@LoftheimU.edu

(No links work, and the email is fake too. You can try, but nothing will happen)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Revan The Courier @SoulFire @Trell0 @The Unamed Character

"We're lucky that Alagi is so broken. We never would have made it here if they were better staffed."

"Heh. No, you never would have made it here if power wasn't being reserved for essentials only. Turrets would have taken you out."

"Woah shit. Really? That's hardcore."

"Not as 'hardcore' as some of the stuff I've seen you do."

"Hey, those were desperate situations."

"And why the Academy hesitates working with you."

"Are you gonna nag more, or can we get back to work? 'Cause the computer we need is right there."

"Alright, alright. I'll start it up."

power == 1

task startup ( )

{

if (SubnetA == 1)

{

open link (SubnetA);

}

if (SubnetB== 1)

{

open link (SubnetB);

}

if (SubnetC == 1)

{

open link (SubnetC);

}

return task AlagiOpSys (!!!);

}

"Heh. Not today. Let's see what their fail-safes are."

ERROR: Operating System failed to start

--> Launch AlagiOpSys Repair (recommended)

--> Start AlagiopSys Normally

"Well that was simple. Let's see what you know, shall we?"

Enter commands below:

--> Open filefolder (Ascension);

return string AccessDenied;

//WARNING: You do not have access to these files. To access, enter your personal code.

Code:

"Do you even know the code?"

"Yeah, I know it."

"How?"

"It's the only reason they're interested in your gang, Tokala."

Code: ESPME

//Code accepted. Accessing files. Welcome back, Dr. Blackcoat.

"You got in!"

"I told you I knew it."

"Wait, who's Marcus?"

"Nobody special."

"Uh huh. Right. Let's read through their files before we wipe them, just to see what they know."

"What do you want? Group's history, number of members?"

"No, no. Find the stuff on us. Personal stuff, you know."

"Sure. Let's see your file first. Should be... That one."

Enter commands below:

--> Open file (tokala.txt);

//Opening...

Name:

Mica-Hakan Burningweed

Alias:

Tokala

Male

Appearance:

29bf2a0f81f83e73db7e93386813b342.jpg

USE CAUTION

Appearance is deceiving. Is a Superhuman. Physical abilities are massively enhanced.

Height:

5' 11''

Weight:

153.301 lbs

Abilities:

Increased endurance, speed, strength and senses

Shapeshifting (Redtailed Fox)

Fire creation

Fire manipulation

Immunity to extreme temperatures

Known History:

Born mixed to a white mother and a Native American father belonging to the Dakota tribe. Spent early childhood on the South Dakota Indian Reservation, but left and lived with an uncle on his mother's side until age 10. Began vigilante career less than a year after the death of Randal Peterson.

Known Family:

Ahdeek Burningweed - Father

Jenifer Mason - Mother

Cetan Burningweed - Eldest Brother

Iukta Burningweed - Second Eldest Brother

Sungchinca Burningweed - Younger Brother

Baxter Philips - Maternal Uncle

Frequented Locations:

Pte Farms (barn)

16657 NE 83rd Pl (roof)

Barking Dog Caffe

Quincy Residence (occasional)

Adams/Pope Residence (occasional)

Fairbanks Graveyard (monthly)

Known Weapons:

Heated coins

Matchstick flares

Spray-paint flamethrowers

Amplified fireworks

Paint can grenades

Smokey weeds

Burning clothes

Varied firearms

Notes:

Appears to be Caucasian ethnic. Seems to follow neo-tribal traditions. Is apparent ringleader of vigilante organization "Ascension". Harbors strong attachments to siblings and Gale (see file (gale.txt)). Is not opposed to illegal actions if deemed for the better good. Appears to have connections allowing false ID's, multiple licence plates, false paperwork, etc. Is adept at hiding, breaking and entering, and automobile theft.

23rd Ave and Main St, behind St. Micheal's Baptist Church, rust-red Chevrolette model Z pickup truck licence A1K-MV2, 12:32 AM Thurs Oct. 14t

"..."

"......"

"Wipe it. Delete everything."

"..."

"Do it, Seer."

"You sure? This has some valuable information. The more we know they know, the more we can fight."

"I said wipe it. We CANNOT let them have that much info. Not ever. Now come on, we've spent enough time here. Finish up and let's get out."

"Whatever you say, boss."

Enter commands below:

--> Eject drive (HardDrive);

System Message: Files held on HardDrive are critical to Allagi Corporation functionality. Removing HardDrive will result in permanent shutdown of this site's computers. Action is unsafe.

--> Eject drive (HardDrive)

--> Abort action (recommended)

//Ejecting...

"Seer, come on. We need to leave."

"Alright, alright. I'm coming. Maybe you should let me do my job, though."

"I know, I know. Hang on, what was that?"

"A fancy rock I want to analyze."

"A rock? You're weird, Seer. Whatever. We gotta scram."

"You can stop saying that now."

Last edited by a moderator: