Why did you begin Roleplaying?

Started with interest and fun..... And soon turned to become a random stranger.

Wait what

Aaanyway. For fun.

I was fourteen, and one of my online friends wanted me to join her wolf roleplaying group. My friend taught me how to roleplay, and I ended up staying in the wolf group longer than she did.

I've been reading over everyone's and they all seem so detailed and intricate. My story is actually quite simple.

I was just surfing the Internet searching for the next book in the Warriors cats series when I stumbled across their official forums. I was really into the books so I decided to join and introduce myself. I met one of my favorite friends that day and she knows how much she means to me. Anyway she said hey have you ever thought of rping and me never being introduced to that world said 'what's that'. She linked me to her group page and it just sort of happened from their. Needless to say I wasnt good at it at all when I started, but with her help and perseverance I feel like I'm at least decent at it. So those forums led to an idea someone posted about making a Facebook warriors account. So that happened and then I found a lot more people that rp'd it and them I made a bleach one for toshiro so yeah. That's kinda how I started and have continued.

Well, I'll go ahead and admit right here and now that my imagination ran rampant when I was about 14 and I legitimately thought I was a werewolf. I got my start on a site called TrueLore, where I ended up portraying myself as this supernatural being. They had a RP site under the name of RolePages. It was pretty small and I really only got on every once in a while to go into the main IM chat on the site, called "The Tavern." It was nice, but then I wanted to expand my writing. I'd say when I was about 16 or so, I found RPNation and I was truly excited that I'd found an entire site with forums and the like for rolepaying. RolePages didn't really have a great forum system, so it was a bit of getting used to since I'd never used forums before. However, a wonderful man named Ayl took me under his wing when I first joined the site, and my first big RP experience was with him and a small group of other roleplayers. For a while, we had an RP named Taming the Flame, where we all had a limit of at least 3 paragraphs a post, which really helped me expand my writing and get better. Fast forward past the site merger and a few years later, we have where I'm at now. I'm actively writing my own stories and have even started trying to flesh out some ideas for group RPs that I could lead. A few of my college friends have sparked my interest in D&D, and from that, I've gained a newfound interest in trying to understand Dice games. That's the next big step I want to make as a roleplayer, is learning the ins and outs of dice games and eventually being the GM of one of my own creation.

As for the genre I tend to RP? My background in fantasy/supernatural roleplays comes from my early stages of reading. Back when I was about 6 or 7, I began reading the Harry Potter series and I instantly fell in love with the world if witches, wizards, magic, and magnificent beasts. From there, my love of fantasy only grew bigger and bigger. Around the age of 13, I started getting into anime, really enjoying the Naruto series. This led to when I was about 17 or 18 checking out an anime called Fairy Tail. The sheer amount of character diversity and different styles of magic in that one anime alone had me in pure awe. It really opened my eyes to how huge and diverse a world could be, which made me want to write and worldbuild about bigger and better things. I love magic, battles, elves, dragons, demons, etc. and it all stems from the books I read throughout my childhood and the anime I've watched in my more recent years.

My friend dragged me into it

lol

It was a little more than a year ago, and one of my friends asked me, "You roleplay?" I didn't, but...

To say the least, now I do. xD

Since I love(d) reading and writing, ofc roleplaying was easy and fun to do for me. So...

And the reason I prefer the genres that I do (Fantasy and Realistic) is because I enjoy reading Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but more Fantasy than Sci-Fi, since the stories can have soooo much more depth if written correctly. The feels at the end of a Fantasy series isn't a batch to miss, lol. The reason I like Realistic is because it's relatable to my irl struggles, dreams, fears, and now it sounds like I'm making a speech, but STILL it's true so don't hate ;w;

I started about four years ago when I started writing my own fanfictions. I enjoyed pairing my OCs with canon characters. Eventually, OtakuZone showed up in my ads and I decided to join. I really enjoyed it there and I met a lot of great people! At first, I kept up with roleplays, but when homework and studying came along, I found it difficult to keep up, so I stopped until recently, when I decided to go back to roleplay. Then I found RPNation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was probably 12 at the time and I had just joined gaia (thanks to some coaxing of a friend) and after a week of being on gaia, I got really bored. so a couple of my friends at the time suggested that I tried to hit up barton town, the roleplaying community of gaia! needless to say, I loved it. (even if I was really bad at it)

fast forward that story and here I am today!

it's an addiction I can't overcome. lmao

Gaia. Freaking Gaia. What a cesspool. But there I was.

It all began over 10 years ago. I just sorta went to a Bar Roleplay on a forum, played my obligatory first-timer awful characters. Then there was DnD, which I actually only started about two years ago. Played for a few months with an edgy character who, looking back, I really don't like. When I decided to make a new one, the GM in the group was like "I'm glad you decided to retire that guy." I laughed. Unfortunately, I stopped playing after the first couple months, and now I'm back into it once a week or so.

I guess it sort of happened, I have fond memories of it. I'm here to get back into it. It's good to be part of a community, even if it is only online. Though as the saying goes, "You can never return home." I might never re-capture the orignial experience I so enjoyed as a teenager, but it's good fun so here I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started RPing on ROBLOX. I was bored and want on the forums, I was posting randomly on all sorts of different forums to see how quick I could get my post count up. Then I found RPing, it looked interesting enough.

I've been RPing for 5 years now, and it's my own hobby.

Urm... This is a hard one.

In reality I started when I was a kid with just "playing around" or "pretending" even back then I used to make up cool rules and worlds for me and the others I used to play with. Before I knew what it was I had already taken up the mantle of game-master...

Years past and I had a point where I was forced to slow down, stop, I was told to "grow up" and I stopped. Then it continued till I was maybe 11 or 12? I cant remember exactly when I was on Gmod/Garry's Mod on a RP server, actually got made a mod on there eventually but it resparked me love of it. Of playing a different character and writing stories.

Then a few years later, 13 or 14 I was watching other people play DnD 3.5 on a livestream. I loved it, i tuned in every week for months on end. Then I decided to try and run a game myself. From there it kinda just grew. I am nearly 19 now and I have been DMing non-stop since and have picked up other kinds of roleplaying on forums and other games and systems. Turning to doing some creative story writing as a minor hobby.

I started when I was around 10 or 11 maybe because I was a lonely kid who liked playing pretend and making up cool world and fantasies. I actually started doing something like RPing on ClubPenguin, where my buddies and I would pretend we're characters on an adventure and go around ClubPenguin doing different "quests". Then I got perma-banned from ClubPenguin because I gave my password to a "friend" and the first thing they did was go to main square and say the "N" word. So that ended that.

After that I got into Anime and noticed these little chatboxes on Anime sites that people would write in, and would say that they're doing different things but with ** around them. Thought it was weird and kinda embarrassing. So naturally I did it too. Got absorbed into the Chatango RP scene and that was where it really just all started. There was a long while where RP was my entire life, sunset to sundown and then I turned 15 and said "Ok, I gotta get out more, make some friends." and quit for like a year.

Then I discovered Homestuck and that rekindled my interest in RPing again, but this time with more focus on the outside world. Like, not skipping months of school and holing myself up in my room to pretend I'm Sasuke's twin sister. That worked out and really took up the bulk of my experience in RP until finally I quit Homestuck and returned to Original RPs with the friends I had made.

I started roleplaying because I was intrigued by it. I was in a forum for a magazine of pre-teen females when I was maybe 11, and there was a Role-Playing sub-board that I clicked out of boredom. Now, the roleplays there weren't so much of roleplays as they were contests, except for a Harry Potter roleplay. I was so new and didn't know what I was doing, so I just followed everyone's example. Honestly, I don't remember how I even got around making a character, though I believe it was such a crappy job. Anyway, that was the only legit RP there, because the others were like "bands" where you actually apply to be a part of and record yourself singing ( I was a computer-illiterate 11-year old, though not for long ) and even "emo contests". That was crazy.

Now I was also, at the time, in another forum that was for a magazine for kids, which is by the same publishing company that made the pre-teen magazine above. There was also a roleplay board, and I tried my luck with the "contest" style, though I believe it didn't last long, because the roleplays they had there were the play-by-post ones, as in actual storytelling. Then I tried my hand at it because I didn't want to be judged... then it progressed to creating crappy characters ( more like Sues... ), then ultra-simple RP threads ( my most successful one had a "Season 2" due to the crazy amount of attention it got ). That hype inspired me to join more RPs ( and I stopped RPing at the previous forum ). Eventually I started becoming good... after maybe 2 or 3 years. It was a fiasco that I don't mind forgetting, but it did turn out to be something good, so it's okay maybe.

The two forums I joined were, sadly, taken down in favor of Facebook. I went to find more forums for RPing ( Ninpocho and Coloholics, Sectumsempra which was run by a friend from the kids' magazine forum, among others ) and even created my own ( called Veratzia Republic, with members being my friends from the kids' magazine forum who were more or less around my age ). I wasn't able to commit to Ninpocho and Coloholics, Sectumsempra died, as well as VR, so I had a roleplaying hiatus for maybe a year or two ( and I hated that hiatus - I loved roleplaying so much! ). Then I found the RPing community in tumblr after discovering the advice blogs for fandoms there, courtesy of Mary Sues in the Naruto RPC ( it actually isn't a play-by-post RP community but more of people tracing over screenshots and calling it "roleplaying" ) world in Photobucket, deviantArt and Facebook. Since it was my only avenue left, I decided to join, and was there for a year until college took my time. I was in the Naruto and KHR fandoms, though I also interacted with different fandoms.

I had another RPing hiatus, these last two years being it, and in the meantime I was in AsianFanfics, writing applyfic stories ( it has an application process but the story is written solely by the author ). It also had an RPing community, but RPing K-Pop idols wasn't my cup of tea.

And by some chance, I went to Google and searched for roleplaying forums... and I liked this place because it had a more lenient set of rules than the other one I saw.

Welp that's my crazy 10-year foray. I had a lot of reasons and instances for starting with RPs XDDDD

As a writer from a young age, roleplays intrigued me. I ended up enjoying them a lot. :) After my old site shut down, I joined RP Nation.

My first rp was one post, and has been till now. It's always intimidated me. I'm shy, so I used it to "fix" myself.

In retrospect I could have thought of something smarter than a place that just uses words.

When I was in elementary school I got into the Neopets forums (I cringed typing that but we all start somewhere) and into groups on there. It was wonderful escaping from everything and just writing fantasy rps based on anime and stuff that I loved.

Eventually I started doing pen and paper rps with friends (some of whom I taught and are now dedicated to their Tumblr rp blogs so yay for influencing people) and eventually fizzled out.

When I started college a couple years back i needed an escape again and tada! Found some forums and now I'm more addicted than ever.

I'll say my style and content has improved immensely, and I totally credit rp to my awesome reading and writing skills.

I started roleplaying when i was in elementary school around 5th Grade.

I started roleplaying because I wanted to improve my writing skills and hopefully one day become a writer. It was also an escape from my personal life at the time. But I've been stuck on it ever since!!

My writing style and content has improved greatly from when I first started off. Writing has also helped my reading level grow stronger and better as well! Which is awesome.

Oh man, I can't really think of a reason.

I was 14 years old, I created an account on some website called gaiaonline and didn't know what the hell was going on in that website or what was its true purpose. Then suddenly somehow I discovered this wonderful thing called forums. Noticed people were posting and stuff and I thought 'Oh cool! I can talk to other people!' Then afterwards I saw this guild recruiting role-players and since it was related to some manga/anime I really loved I thought 'Why not?'.

Let me tell you, I was a disaster. I didn't even know what a skeleton was! They kept on telling me that I needed to fill out the skeleton for my character's profile, and since I was just so lost the vice-captain of the guild had to guide me through EVERY SINGLE STEP ON HOW TO ROLE-PLAY. I was, needless to say, horrible at it. I felt so bad for being such a noob around all those advanced role-players that I quit the guild and thanked the staff. Yet, I decided it was time to start my own guild (a not so very bright idea now that I think of it). Nonetheless, it took probably around a year or two for me to understand truly what it meant to role-play and that there was more than just one or two liners. After that though, I started joining more and more role-playing guilds and as time went by I got better (or at least that's what I like to think).

What I think and feel made me stay was the feeling of creating characters and making your own story along with others. I've always loved fantasy stories, romance, etc. but I'm a very lazy person so I never really got around to sit down and either read or write novels (because I had a great deal of ideas in mind at the time). So, after writing with other people and creating wonderful mixes of words, ideas, plots, character, and what not, I felt like I was doing something I really loved. I think creating a story with someone that is just so great that it creeps in your mind even when you're not role-playing, that's when you know you're enjoying what your doing. In my case, role-playing.

My older brother taught me to play D&D 3.0 and from that point onward I got hooked to RPG. Forum RPG just allows me even from freedom than regular RPG as is not restrained by Dice

i just wanted to make some friends, so i sought out a way to do it and roleplaying was a thing in the anime community so i gave it a go, had a bit of harmless fun and was then hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back