Experiences Why are some people so lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivana

The Boop
This is probably going to come off as a rant and it probably is to an extent but that's because I'm frustrated and kind of irritated.

What on earth makes some people think that 1-liners are fun? Like I don't mind it happening every once in a while but constantly? And what pisses me off about most of these people is that I will make it clear that I need someone who can do 3+ lines at least, they will tell me that they can do that and then when we start to RP they not even once give me what I asked for and it's not like I'm asking for a lot. To top it all off I've been lied to because you said you could and are now showing me that either you never could and you lied or you're blatantly choosing to just not to which still means you lied to me. I will get people who start out doing 3+ times but steadily drop their line count as until they are doing 1-liners strategically trying to be lazy like I wouldn't notice and they will fight tooth and nail to try and convince me that I should be RPing with them even though I'm not having fun anymore but because they're enjoying the RP I should stay right? Oh, I bet you are enjoying it when I'm doing all the work, putting in all the effort, co!ing up with all the ideas and you're just basically doing nothing.

I swear I almost cursed my latest partner out because I replied to him and he's sitting there talking to me like he's waiting on me to respond, no it's your turn and then he tells me that he can't do as many lines as I've proven myself to be able to do...it was literally 4 lines, he didn't have to do 4 lines he could have done 3 but how lazy are you that you can't manage 4 lines?

Then I get the excuses like I was busy. Okay I tell everyone I RP with that they don't have to rush to reply to me when they have time to give me a proper response, so no I'm not accepting that as an excuse because I told you not to do it and you chose to rush and constantly put less than what I asked you for, what you said you were capable of and yet for 3 straight weeks you have given me 1-liners and I'm lucky to get two, you've been starting to give me half a line but I should keep rping with you because for 3 straight weeks including weekends you've supposedly been busy and that's why you constantly keep giving me less than what we agree upon? No.

There was a guy who kept arguing with me that I should keep rping with him and it pissed me off because admittedly I kind of ghosted on him because I was debating on rather I should just stop rping with him or if I should even bother to tell him what he was doing wrong because I felt like well damn you knew what you agreed to and you know you're not keeping up your end of the deal so why should I have to address it, you know but you clearly don't care. However, I decided to be upfront, give him a chance to clean up his act and told him why I hadn't replied he tells me he's sorry and he can do 3+ lines like we agreed and yet the first response he gives me afterward is a line and a half so I tell him he's short he needs to double that and he complains at me telling me that I'm asking for a lot of lines. Mother fu- it's 3+ lines and you just begged me to give you another chance on the premise that you can do what I asked and you're complaining because you immediately started to bullshit me and not give me what I asked you, you didn't even attempt to do what I asked and be tried to argue me down, give me all these reasons why he couldn't do what he just promised me he could do not 5 seconds ago I mean the audacity. You begged me to give you another chance you promised you would do what we originally agreed upon and now not 5 seconds later you're trying to renig? Told me it was impossible to do 3+ lines on a phone and I called bullshit because I do it all the time and once again you knew you were rping on a phone this entire time, you promised you could do it, you agreed to it so you lied to me knowing that you either couldn't or wouldn't do it in the first place. I swear to you I never wanted to curse someone out over and RP so badly in my life.

Why do people do this shit and think it's totally okay?

Last edited:
Ya gotta stop judging people and worry about the content of your own posts. What if I, who can easily write 1-3 pages per post were come Into your thread and ask you to try harder? :lol:

I do think at some points you rp’d with people that just didn’t mesh well with you.

I can't stand one liners. It's like you really couldn't get anything from my post? Even if the characters are not near each other, the person can still use thoughts or describe how/why/where their character is. I don't understand what makes people think it's ok. How is a roleplay supposed to progress with replies that are so short?

Ya gotta stop judging people and worry about the content of your own posts. What if I, who can easily write 1-3 pages per post were come Into your thread and ask you to try harder? :lol:

I do think at some points you rp’d with people that just didn’t mesh well with you.
Well it would be different if I went on other people's threads and did that, but I didn't, these were my threads and on my threads I asked that you at least be able to do 3+ lines, these people would sign up for my RPs after reading said rules, telling me they could do what I asked and then not do it. This has nothing to do with judgment this about you blatantly lying to me and then wondering why I don't want to RP with you anymore.

I can't stand one-liners. It's like you really couldn't get anything from my post? Even if the characters are not near each other, the person can still use thoughts or describe how/why/where their character is. I don't understand what makes people think it's ok. How is a roleplay supposed to progress with replies that are so short?
Exactly and why would you sign up for an to that you know requires you to do 3+ lines at the very least and then just didn't do it and then wonder why I'm not particularly happy with you right now and keep trying to convince me to want you even though I've made it clear I'm not having fun, but you want me to stay because you're having fun but offering me nothing in return so I can have fun too?

Well it would be different if I went on other people's threads and did that, but I didn't, these were my threads and on my threads I asked that you at least be able to do 3+ lines, these people would sign up for my RPs after reading said rules, telling me they could do what I asked and then not do it. This has nothing to do with judgment this about you blatantly lying to me and then wondering why I don't want to RP with you anymore.
I don't know. This isn't a site wide problem. I've never asked for a certain post length, but have never gotten a one liner. You must be pushy and making people uncomfortable.

When it happened to me, very rare, the people claimed writer's block. I've always told people that there's no rush and to just post when they have a response they think is good written. The most it happened was with one of my particular ships and it was because she didn't want to progress the rp, she wanted to basically have her character tag along for the ride while I wrote large responses (2-3 paragraphs which aren't large like I normally do, but compared to the 3 word reply I got they were long)

I most often encounter this issue in regards to players who want to join detailed roleplays but are actually casual roleplayers and thus fail to understand the different approaches, mentality and needs of the different styles of roleplay. As for why they join something that falls outside of their normal comfort zone, the most common reasons fall into one of two. Either they were so caught up with a certain roleplay's prospect that they decided to join without paying any actual heed to the demands or they were genuinely convinced they could pull it off (but didn't think it through), due to people's tendency to overstimate their own skill.

What this boils down to is really an issue of mentality. People aren't used to thinking through whether they can keep up what they compromised to do, people are too reliant on the muse, people take the notion of "roleplay is a hobby" both too far and without actually understanding that roleplay is less like watching television or playing video games, and much more like fishing: You need to have a proper set up, you need to patient throughout, and even then you may not always get tangible results, and all of that is part of the experience.

Which of course, doesn't really excuse the behavior of compromising to do something and then continually failing to even try. With my 1x1s I can understand somewhat, because I get that people aren't immediately familiar with the concept of "15 full PC lines", but there's a limit (forgot to add this part edited in).

Last edited:
I don't know. This isn't a site wide problem. I've never asked for a certain post length, but have never gotten a one liner. You must be pushy and making people uncomfortable.
Not at all. In fact I think part of the reason people do it to me is because I'm too nice about things so they feel like they can take advantage of me and I won't say anything and rather or not I was pushy would have no bearing on it anyway. What exactly would that have to do with you agreeing to a set of rules and now following those rules, what does that have to do with me informing you that I no longer want to RP because I am not having fun and you imnstead of moving on, begging me to give you another chance on the premise that you would follow the rules that you agreed to in the first place and not 5 seconds later again not following the rules that not only agreed to but promised you would follow if I gave you another chance? No one made you promise, no one made you bed for another chance, no one made you try to argue me down and convince me to stay in an RP where you knew for a fact I wasn't having fun while you continue to do the exact same thing you knew was causing me not to have fun in the first place and be miserable all because you are having fun and want to continue. So fuck my feslings, who cares if I'm not having fun because you are and that's all that matters but I'm being pushy and making them uncomfortable?

My rules amount to no God Modding at least 3+ lines, I'm not asking for a lot, I'm pestering you to reply, hell you could go months without replying to me and at best I'll just remind you that the RP exists and ask if you're still interested and when you do break my rules, I don't even complain right off the bad I'll wait a while to see if you'll do what we agreed to and when it becomes clear that you have no intention of doing so I will inform you that I don't want to RP anymore and maybe you should find another partner, I don't even big you about doing what you agreed to, just say I don't want to do anymore. So please explain to me how I am being pushy and making them uncomfortable and how exactly them lying to me is somehow my fault?

The majority of one line posts I see
Is “Character A replied to character B.”
And said player only added the speech
They forgot to reach
A little further maybe explain the tone
The feeling of the character and the surrounding zone
Some players forget or they just assume
That you imagine what they do, like talking in the same room

Of course this could be a matter of intimidation
When someone responds with a page it’s not always elation
To try and match someone when your not in the mood?
Is it considered rude
To think you’d receive attitude
Considering half the plots on rpn are lewd
I can see the reason with a small reply, but I like to do good and so I try
To be as detailed as what needs to be
That’s some shitty advice from Flowiest D

I most often encounter this issue in regards to players who want to join detailed roleplays but are actually casual roleplayers and thus fail to understand the different approaches, mentality and needs of the different styles of roleplay. As for why they join something that falls outside of their normal comfort zone, the most common reasons fall into one of two. Either they were so caught up with a certain roleplay's prospect that they decided to join without paying any actual heed to the demands or they were genuinely convinced they could pull it off (but didn't think it through), due to people's tendency to overstimate their own skill.

What this boils down to is really an issue of mentality. People aren't used to thinking through whether they can keep up what they compromised to do, people are too reliant on the muse, people take the notion of "roleplay is a hobby" both too far and without actually understanding that roleplay is less like watching television or playing video games, and much more like fishing: You need to have a proper set up, you need to patient throughout, and even then you may not always get tangible results, and all of that is part of the experience.

Which of course, doesn't really excuse the behavior of compromising to do something and then continually failing to even try. With my 1x1s I can understand somewhat, because I get that people aren't immediately familiar with the concept of "15 full PC lines".
I can understand that some people do things or think they can do things and then realize they can't that is not my issue. My issue is when you agree and you're clearly not even trying to do what we agreed on because for whatever reason you believe that because I'm already rping with you that I'm stuck with you and have to put up with anything that you do. This is how they treat me and wonder why I don't want to RP with them anymore and like I said with the last guy I mentioned. Informed him of the problem, he had two choices, move on or try to do what I asked, he even said that if he broke the rules again I could delete the RP and he would leave me alone and what did he do? Immediately 5 seconds later not only does he not do what he just promised me to do and I'm being nice about this technically I had every right by his own words to just stop right there, but I say well it's a line and half if you double that you'll reach 3 lines, does he even try to extend his response? Does he admit he can't do it and follow through on his deal? No he complains, he gives me every reason he can't keep a promise that no one made him make in the first place, he could have just left me alone but no.

You don't even realize what you're doing....
Amd you're not going to explain exactly how I'm wrong are you? Listen I don't have time for vague answers, you say I don't realize what I'm doing yet fail to tell me what I don't realize I'm doing and expect me to fix it somehow.

I can understand that some people do things or think they can do things and then realize they can't that is not my issue. My issue is when you agree and you're clearly not even trying to do what we agreed on because for whatever reason you believe that because I'm already rping with you that I'm stuck with you and have to put up with anything that you do. This is how they treat me and wonder why I don't want to RP with them anymore and like I said with the last guy I mentioned. Informed him of the problem, he had two choices, move on or try to do what I asked, he even said that if he broke the rules again I could delete the RP and he would leave me alone and what did he do? Immediately 5 seconds later not only does he not do what he just promised me to do and I'm being nice about this technically I had every right by his own words to just stop right there, but I say well it's a line and half if you double that you'll reach 3 lines, does he even try to extend his response? Does he admit he can't do it and follow through on his deal? No he complains, he gives me every reason he can't keep a promise that no one made him make in the first place, he could have just left me alone but no.
No, I understand and I agree with you. It's more of a one a**hole problem you have there, at which point I just think you should not go along with that person, let me complain all they want. I just wanted to give my own input which is more about the more general though admitedly less serious issue.

Amd you're not going to explain exactly how I'm wrong are you? Listen I don't have time for vague answers, you say I don't realize what I'm doing yet fail to tell me what I don't realize I'm doing and expect me to fix it somehow.
You're overbearing and unreasonable. Furthermore you've only given your side of the story and expect everyone to take it at face value. While lauding people as lazy. Only an insanely bitter person would take your claims at face value and just go along with it. Even when responding to me, you came at me like a truck with all these ideas like, " THEY AGREEED AHBBFSJKBFSGG POSTS TOO SHORT RAWGH ".

and I'm trying to make you realize...

that you are acting unreasonable.

No, I understand and I agree with you. It's more of a one a**hole problem you have there, at which point I just think you should not go along with that person, let me complain all they want. I just wanted to give my own input which is more about the more general though admitedly less serious issue.
I understand but those are more or less the people I end up dealing with
The majority of one line posts I see
Is “Character A replied to character B.”
And said player only added the speech
They forgot to reach
A little further maybe explain the tone
The feeling of the character and the surrounding zone
Some players forget or they just assume
That you imagine what they do, like talking in the same room

Of course this could be a matter of intimidation
When someone responds with a page it’s not always elation
To try and match someone when your not in the mood?
Is it considered rude
To think you’d receive attitude
Considering half the plots on rpn are lewd
I can see the reason with a small reply, but I like to do good and so I try
To be as detailed as what needs to be
That’s some shitty advice from Flowiest D
i understand that but I'm not picky, yes I prefer more I prefer description and dialogue if the scene calls for it, but here's the thing. You can give me 3 lines of dialogue with no description and I won't complain I won't get upset because that's all I asked for 3+ lines. You can give me 3 lines of description and nothing less I will be okay because 3+ lines is all I asked for I wasn't specific about wanting out a certain way so I'm not going to complain because you gave me whatI asked for tho did what we agreed upon.

I would like for you to match my responses but I tell them it isn't necessary, all I want is 3+ lines at the least. As long as you are trying I don't care. Also I don't do lewd plots maybe romance subplots but not lweds thank you.

I just rhyme,
Reading my shit is waste of your time

You're overbearing and unreasonable. Furthermore you've only given your side of the story and expect everyone to take it at face value. While lauding people as lazy. Only an insanely bitter person would take your claims at face value and just go along with it. Even when responding to me, you came at me like a truck with all these ideas like, " THEY AGREEED AHBBFSJKBFSGG POSTS TOO SHORT RAWGH ".

and I'm trying to make you realize...

that you are acting unreasonable.
No let's be clear about what happened here you came on here telling me not to judge people and what if you who could do 3+ pages came onto my thread and told you to try harder. I told you that I didn't go onto their threads and ask them to try harder, they come onto my threads, they agree to my rules and then proceed to break those rules. In what world is it unreasonable for anyone to upset that someone is not following through on something you agreed upon? In what world am I being unreasonable to no longer want to continue activity? It seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm not enjoying myself so I think we should part ways. Who in their right might stays in a situation where they are not happy?

Do you even know what overbearing means? Please show me where I'm being overbearing and unreasonable with any of these people? You say I'm only telling you my side of the story and expecting you to take it at face value. Let's see, I'm not gonna tell you who these people are because despite being super irritated with them, I know how the internet is and as much of assholes as some of them have been I'm not about to put them in a position where they can be harassed. So what else do you want? Please tell me, what do you want to see? Do you want to see screenshots of the conversation? I'm not going to show his name, so you'll probably just say I'm lying anyway but hell it's the best I can give you. I mean it's blatantly clear that you're not interested in my side since you've been trying to make this my fault from the beginning but hey why not right?

Last edited:
If you'll pardon the expression I think you might be grabbing the wrong end of the horse with this. Your issue seems to specifically be "Why do people lie to me and refuse to listen to my requests?"

Which is more of a courtesy issue than one tied to laziness. As laziness has nothing to do with whether or not someone is respecting your requests. It's all in how much respect and courtesy they are showing you as their partner.

That said it would be the same issue if for instance someone deliberately wrote a character with mental illness into a roleplay I was in. Because I specifically state that mental illnesses are a dealbreaker with me. So it would be very rude to then go around and ignore that request just because you want your character to be "edgy" or "quirky".

So yeah I would say that to fix this particular issue you just have to learn to put your foot down. If I say no X and you try to bring X into a roleplay than I'm gone.

In my specific case I do mean that literally. I will just tell them "You know I don't think our writing styles will work so I'm going to bow out. Good luck on your search." And physically leave the roleplay. If they happen to get obnoxious and try to call me back I will give them a simple explanation ONCE. "I said no X and you did X. So I think we aren't compatible." Then I block them and move on with my life.

Maybe to some people that's harsh. But I find that it works. Because people learn pretty darn quick I'm not the kind of person to play these games with because I won't back down.

If someone doesn't meet your RP criteria, then simply drop them. It's not that they are lazy (or perhaps they are, who knows?) but that they have different preferences and styles. Not everyone is going to be the perfect partner, which is why you have to learn to sift through them at some point. Situations like this could be solved with a simple message stating your issues with said RP, not by being so dramatically bitter.

I get you, I'm also a doormat sometimes and I let things pass even if I'm not happy with them, but if I specifically state that I write 10+ detailed paragraphs and my partner shoots me with a 3 paragraphs worth of repetitive sentences I'm out.

If you'll pardon the expression I think you might be grabbing the wrong end of the horse with this. Your issue seems to specifically be "Why do people lie to me and refuse to listen to my requests?"

Which is more of a courtesy issue than one tied to laziness. As laziness has nothing to do with whether or not someone is respecting your requests. It's all in how much respect and courtesy they are showing you as their partner.

That said it would be the same issue if for instance someone deliberately wrote a character with mental illness into a roleplay I was in. Because I specifically state that mental illnesses are a dealbreaker with me. So it would be very rude to then go around and ignore that request just because you want your character to be "edgy" or "quirky".

So yeah I would say that to fix this particular issue you just have to learn to put your foot down. If I say no X and you try to bring X into a roleplay than I'm gone.

In my specific case, I do mean that literally. I will just tell them "You know I don't think our writing styles will work so I'm going to bow out. Good luck on your search." And physically leave the roleplay. If they happen to get obnoxious and try to call me back I will give them a simple explanation ONCE. "I said no X and you did X. So I think we aren't compatible." Then I block them and move on with my life.

Maybe to some people, that's harsh. But I find that it works. Because people learn pretty darn quick I'm not the kind of person to play these games with because I won't back down.
Well maybe it's just me but I feel it's courtesy problem born of laziness. I feel that if you agree to something and do everything in your power not to do it, you're being lazy. It's like we agreed that every day we would switch between one of us doing the dishes but we agreed that we would wash all the dishes for that day and I kept leaving the big dishes behind like pots pans etc, because I just didn't feel like doing it would you not feel that I was not only being rude but being lazy as well?

Well maybe it's just me but I feel it's courtesy problem born of laziness. I feel that if you agree to something and do everything in your power not to do it, you're being lazy. It's like we agreed that every day we would switch between one of us doing the dishes but we agreed that we would wash all the dishes for that day and I kept leaving the big dishes behind like pots pans etc, because I just didn't feel like doing it would you not feel that I was not only being rude but being lazy as well?

And I'm going to be really direct here. The fact that you continuously put this in terms of "X person was lazy" is making your come across as really snobby. Like you think people who write below a certain amount are just not trying hard enough and are bad roleplayers.

Not only is that rude but it also doesn't address what seems to be your actual problem. Which is that from your perspective people are taking advantage of you. They are giving your false information about what they're capable of and then when you call them on it they are being discourteous and rude.

Those are very legitimate complaints and I am sorry you had to go through those experiences. But ranting on a thread about the "laziness" of other roleplayers is not going to fix that problem. What will fix that problem is what peritwinkle peritwinkle and I both suggested.

You need to learn to put your foot down. If someone doesn't hold up their end of the bargain than boot them out of the roleplay. If it's a 1x1 than just leave. It's not worth the obvious stress it's causing you to stick it out.

No let's be clear about what happened here you came on here telling me not to judge people and what if you who could do 3+ pages came onto my thread and told you to try harder. I told you that I didn't go onto their threads and ask them to try harder, they come onto my threads, they agree to my rules and then proceed to break those rules. In what world is it unreasonable for anyone to upset that someone is not following through on something you agreed upon? In what world am I being unreasonable to no longer want to continue activity? It seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm not enjoying myself so I think we should part ways. Who in their right might stays in a situation where they are not happy?

Do you even know what overbearing means? Please show me where I'm being overbearing and unreasonable with any of these people? You say I'm only telling you my side of the story and expecting you to take it at face value. Let's see, I'm not gonna tell you who these people are because despite being super irritated with them, I know how the internet is and as much of assholes as some of them have been I'm not about to put them in a position where they can be harassed. So what else do you want? Please tell me, what do you want to see? Do you want to see screenshots of the conversation? I'm not going to show his name, so you'll probably just say I'm lying anyway but hell it's the best I can give you. I mean it's blatantly clear that you're not interested in my side since you've been trying to make this my fault from the beginning but hey why not right?
You’ve written a bunch of semantics and made a bunch of assumptions about my post. How are you not being unreasonable. I only started off by telling you, that you’re coming off strong and bossy. And now you’re trying to be a word lawyer because you think it’s reasonable to call people lazy because you had one bad experience.

You’re the issue here. And if you don’t want to rp, that’s fine. But to say everyone else is the issue is downright wrong.

You’ve written a bunch of semantics and made a bunch of assumptions about my post. How are you not being unreasonable. I only started off by telling you, that you’re coming off strong and bossy. And now you’re trying to be a word lawyer because you think it’s reasonable to call people lazy because you had one bad experience.

You’re the issue here. And if you don’t want to rp, that’s fine. But to say everyone else is the issue is downright wrong.

In their defense I don't think your helping either. At this point I would just quit while your ahead. Trust me I've gotten called out for harassment by doing exactly what your doing right now twice on this site. You're not going to change their minds and you're only going to make the situation for yourself worse if you keep posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back