• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Whimstories ooc chat

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey everyone! Okay so the ooc chat is up where we can talk about what we want to do pretty much. I’m also not the GM, I’m just helping Story out a bit with the threads n stuff. So nice to meet you all ^^

I'm still here.

Goblin Hunter-portrait (1).png
And still very much willing to contribute ideas (especially goblin lore).
I'm also pretty damn good at maps, if I do say so myself.​

Okay so the ooc chat is up where we can talk about what we want to do pretty much...
Alright, so I guess what I'm looking to help out with is more of the untamed wilderness bit. Regarding medieval Fantasy settings, I see too often that everyone wants to hole-up in a castle and play out the life of nobility. I mean, you do you, hun. But my personal interest is the unbridled wilderness. Exploration, adventure, violent incursions with monsters and bandits and barbarians. Less "lords and ladies" and more "Trolls and ogres".

Last edited:
I'm still interested!

I love to think up stuff for mythological creatures, like dragons and fantasy equines (unicorns, pegasus, kirin, etc etc), even centaur and fauns.

Elves and Dwarves are cool, but I like those with animalistic features :D

I'm still here too. I'm more accustomed to world-building via writing, so I can come up with lore for various mapped locations. While I do also quite enjoy making characters, it's the weaker of my story telling strengths.

I'm still interested!

I love to think up stuff for mythological creatures, like dragons and fantasy equines (unicorns, pegasus, kirin, etc etc), even centaur and fauns.

Elves and Dwarves are cool, but I like those with animalistic features :D
Dragons are amazing! (I’m a huge Httyd fan, haha)

I’m interested in helping build this world with you all :)
Awesome to have you on board!

I'm still here.

View attachment 1062909
And still very much willing to contribute ideas (especially goblin lore).
I'm also pretty damn good at maps, if I do say so myself.​

Alright, so I guess what I'm looking to help out with is more of the untamed wilderness bit. Regarding medieval Fantasy settings, I see too often that everyone wants to hole-up in a castle and play out the life of nobility. I mean, you do you, hun. But my personal interest is the unbridled wilderness. Exploration, adventure, violent incursions with monsters and bandits and barbarians. Less "lords and ladies" and more "Trolls and ogres".
Go knock yourself out with trolls and ogres, haha. They can either be a great ally or great enemy, depending on what we‘ll go for in the end ^^

I'm still here too. I'm more accustomed to world-building via writing, so I can come up with lore for various mapped locations. While I do also quite enjoy making characters, it's the weaker of my story telling strengths.
Maps are really cool! Awesome to have you here ^^

And of course it’s very nice to meet y‘all! What‘s your name and maybe pronouns too? So I know how to address everyone.

So, hey everyone! I‘m either Hiuly, Raven or Rachel (idc which one you use). I‘m 18 and I use She/Her ^^

And of course it’s very nice to meet y‘all! What‘s your name and maybe pronouns too? So I know how to address everyone.

So, hey everyone! I‘m either Hiuly, Raven or Rachel (idc which one you use). I‘m 18 and I use She/Her ^^

You can call me Sea! 30's, She/They here! ^^

People usually just abbreviate my handle to "Murder" or MG when addressing me in the forums. But tagging me with an @ also works just fine to let me know you're talking to me. I'm 38 years old (and will likely be the oldest writer in this gaggle). Been roleplaying online for roughly 25-ish years. Most of it, and I mean the vast majority of it, has been in groups. When I was younger and not a mom and didn't take work as seriously (and generally had more energy to stay up super late) I used to host group RPs all the time. Nowadays, I feel it's much less stressful and realistic for me to just help and/or participate in them.

MurderGURL should make the pronoun thing pretty obvious. But I go by She/her if you need it to be official. lol

Otherwise, I actually have my "About" section filled out on my profile. Yes, I actually bothered to fill that out. :p

⇩ ⇩ ⇩ There is a link below to that. ⇩ ⇩ ⇩​

People usually just abbreviate my handle to "Murder" or MG when addressing me in the forums. But tagging me with an @ also works just fine to let me know you're talking to me. I'm 38 years old (and will likely be the oldest writer in this gaggle). Been roleplaying online for roughly 25-ish years. Most of it, and I mean the vast majority of it, has been in groups. When I was younger and not a mom and didn't take work as seriously (and generally had more energy to stay up super late) I used to host group RPs all the time. Nowadays, I feel it's much less stressful and realistic for me to just help and/or participate in them.

MurderGURL should make the pronoun thing pretty obvious. But I go by She/her if you need it to be official. lol

Otherwise, I actually have my "About" section filled out on my profile. Yes, I actually bothered to fill that out. :p

⇩ ⇩ ⇩ There is a link below to that. ⇩ ⇩ ⇩​
Wow, that‘s quite a bit of experience there O.o

We‘d definitely love to have some help, Story hasn’t really done a group yet and so far I only had one group. Teach me your ways, oh great master of groups, haha

Wow, that‘s quite a bit of experience there O.o

We‘d definitely love to have some help, Story hasn’t really done a group yet and so far I only had one group. Teach me your ways, oh great master of groups, haha
Lol. "Master" is a bit of a stretch. I wouln't say I ever mastered the method of wrangling people in. But you pitch enough ideas and eventually you get bites. (imo people used to be a little more committed to their RPs in the days of yesteryear, but I may just be looking back in retrospect with rose-colored glasses)

First and foremost, you have to actively engage all your potential participants. Frankly, I don't have time for that anymore as a GM. But it's kind of one of those things that really helps pull in and keep the interest of those who have taken the first steps to join. Get them to talk about the character dynamic they wish to submit. Talk about ideas and how they could fit in and point out the things that won't. Once you start running your RP, it really REALLY helps if each player character is given something to actively keep them in the story. People will quickly drop out if they feel they have been pushed to the sidelines and become a wallflower to the ongoing narrative. It's a LOT of work for a GM to undertake, as you are essentially making replies to everyone's characters when you move along a scene.

DON'T let the PCs flounder around too long. Yes, give them time to chat and talk and flesh out their characters. but doing this too much or letting it go on for too long will get old really fast. Pushing the story forward and letting your group "catch up" is a delicate balance. And with this, I move on to the next point.

As a GM you need to have a plan as to where your setting and story is going. I feel like a lot of people just have a vague notion of a roleplay setting and that's it. So, when the RP gets to the point when it starts, it will quickly become apparent that there really was no plan after all the character intros are summed up. This almost always leads to a quick RP death.

Have SOME kind of posting requirement. I'm not talking about roleplay literacy or word count. I mean that you need to establish a pace for the RP. Because if no one knows how often we are expected to post, then we will wind up waiting on each other for too long expecting someone else to post. One thing leads to another, and eventually someone will drop out, another will silently slip away... it's like a domino effect and very quickly the group will fall apart simply because the posts stagnate to a halt. Keep in mind that the larger your group, the longer it will take for each one to have something proper to respond to. For instance, if there are 5 people, and each of them posts sequentially one after the other by the day, it will tak a full week to get through one round of posting. Now, that doesn't normally happen. Most of the time you will have more than one person post on the same day. And you will not have people post every day. but mixing up the possibilities still puts us at a full week (if not longer) just for everyone to get a single post in. Setting some kind of pace expectation will (ideally) spur the group into more interaction. But more often than not, it is up to the GM to really push the players forward.

LET ME TELL YOU THIS: An Rp will only slow down as it goes forward. Assuming it lives past it's infancy and actually gets along in the story, the pace will invariably slow from whatever it started off. Yes, there will be points where it picks up. Usually it's because of some kind of exciting and engaging scene that's going on. But overall, the pace will always slow down from that initial burst of introductory posts and scene setting narrative. So, if your RP is starting out at a pace that is slower than you'd like, it needs to be addressed quickly. Because it isn't going to get any faster if you let it take a natural course.

Regarding character sheets. Less is more. I mean, I personally LOVE to write out a long-winded and detailed CS. And I'm sure a lot of people do. But realistically, most people don't go through and read all these details with the same gusto that their author wrote them with. And a lot of people will actually be turned off to having to write a small essay of a CS just to get accepted. It's a lot of work to put together with no guarantee that their character will get accepted or that the RP will flourish. So a simple character sheet will suffice. And if people want to add in a 9k word backstory, let em... but put it in a spoiler tag.

Anyhow, I've already written a whole damn wall of text, so I'll stop there. Also, let me add that this is just my personal experience over the years. I'm sure other people have variances to their roleplay history. And also, I haven't been able to get a group RP going here on RPN since I joined. But honestly, that's a lot to do with my subject matter, posting requirements, and just my impatience and time constraints.

Btw, any chance our GM will grace us with their presence in the OOCC? Haven't heard from Whimstories Whimstories since their initial replies to the RT.

Lol. "Master" is a bit of a stretch. I wouln't say I ever mastered the method of wrangling people in. But you pitch enough ideas and eventually you get bites. (imo people used to be a little more committed to their RPs in the days of yesteryear, but I may just be looking back in retrospect with rose-colored glasses)

First and foremost, you have to actively engage all your potential participants. Frankly, I don't have time for that anymore as a GM. But it's kind of one of those things that really helps pull in and keep the interest of those who have taken the first steps to join. Get them to talk about the character dynamic they wish to submit. Talk about ideas and how they could fit in and point out the things that won't. Once you start running your RP, it really REALLY helps if each player character is given something to actively keep them in the story. People will quickly drop out if they feel they have been pushed to the sidelines and become a wallflower to the ongoing narrative. It's a LOT of work for a GM to undertake, as you are essentially making replies to everyone's characters when you move along a scene.

DON'T let the PCs flounder around too long. Yes, give them time to chat and talk and flesh out their characters. but doing this too much or letting it go on for too long will get old really fast. Pushing the story forward and letting your group "catch up" is a delicate balance. And with this, I move on to the next point.

As a GM you need to have a plan as to where your setting and story is going. I feel like a lot of people just have a vague notion of a roleplay setting and that's it. So, when the RP gets to the point when it starts, it will quickly become apparent that there really was no plan after all the character intros are summed up. This almost always leads to a quick RP death.

Have SOME kind of posting requirement. I'm not talking about roleplay literacy or word count. I mean that you need to establish a pace for the RP. Because if no one knows how often we are expected to post, then we will wind up waiting on each other for too long expecting someone else to post. One thing leads to another, and eventually someone will drop out, another will silently slip away... it's like a domino effect and very quickly the group will fall apart simply because the posts stagnate to a halt. Keep in mind that the larger your group, the longer it will take for each one to have something proper to respond to. For instance, if there are 5 people, and each of them posts sequentially one after the other by the day, it will tak a full week to get through one round of posting. Now, that doesn't normally happen. Most of the time you will have more than one person post on the same day. And you will not have people post every day. but mixing up the possibilities still puts us at a full week (if not longer) just for everyone to get a single post in. Setting some kind of pace expectation will (ideally) spur the group into more interaction. But more often than not, it is up to the GM to really push the players forward.

LET ME TELL YOU THIS: An Rp will only slow down as it goes forward. Assuming it lives past it's infancy and actually gets along in the story, the pace will invariably slow from whatever it started off. Yes, there will be points where it picks up. Usually it's because of some kind of exciting and engaging scene that's going on. But overall, the pace will always slow down from that initial burst of introductory posts and scene setting narrative. So, if your RP is starting out at a pace that is slower than you'd like, it needs to be addressed quickly. Because it isn't going to get any faster if you let it take a natural course.

Regarding character sheets. Less is more. I mean, I personally LOVE to write out a long-winded and detailed CS. And I'm sure a lot of people do. But realistically, most people don't go through and read all these details with the same gusto that their author wrote them with. And a lot of people will actually be turned off to having to write a small essay of a CS just to get accepted. It's a lot of work to put together with no guarantee that their character will get accepted or that the RP will flourish. So a simple character sheet will suffice. And if people want to add in a 9k word backstory, let em... but put it in a spoiler tag.

Anyhow, I've already written a whole damn wall of text, so I'll stop there. Also, let me add that this is just my personal experience over the years. I'm sure other people have variances to their roleplay history. And also, I haven't been able to get a group RP going here on RPN since I joined. But honestly, that's a lot to do with my subject matter, posting requirements, and just my impatience and time constraints.

Btw, any chance our GM will grace us with their presence in the OOCC? Haven't heard from Whimstories Whimstories since their initial replies to the RT.
Those are really cool tips, thanks a lot! ^^

I guess, I also texted her the link of here in the private DM, but Story hasn’t been online since Friday…. She‘s probably just busy though and until she‘s back, I‘m going to try to get everything ready and everyone engaged

Years ago I co-managed a roleplay that lasted five years. We broke it up into seasons like a television show, having a specific conclusion for each season. We even went as far as closing each thread at the end of one season and opening another at the start of the next. It gave us an opportunity to recruit new members, create new characters and establish an entirely new community every time the new season began. It was nice to have fresh meat 😁

To add on to Murdergurl Murdergurl ’s great points, what seemed to work the best during my time as a Co-GM was personally playing the antagonist of each specific season. I took it upon myself to create the conflict that kept everyone engaged and find a conclusion to the end of each story. Having this control really allowed the roleplay to flow and gave my PROtagonist an easy way to be completely engulfed in the main plot of the story and drag everyone else’s characters along.

Just my two cents, hope it helps some.

Years ago I co-managed a roleplay that lasted five years. We broke it up into seasons like a television show, having a specific conclusion for each season. We even went as far as closing each thread at the end of one season and opening another at the start of the next. It gave us an opportunity to recruit new members, create new characters and establish an entirely new community every time the new season began. It was nice to have fresh meat 😁

To add on to Murdergurl Murdergurl ’s great points, what seemed to work the best during my time as a Co-GM was personally playing the antagonist of each specific season. I took it upon myself to create the conflict that kept everyone engaged and find a conclusion to the end of each story. Having this control really allowed the roleplay to flow and gave my PROtagonist an easy way to be completely engulfed in the main plot of the story and drag everyone else’s characters along.

Definitely taking up the mantle of NPCs, antagonists, and setting characters as the duties of a GM helps a lot. Very often in the RPs I would run, I didn't even have a "Main character" myself, and I just played out the various peoples and baddies that the PCs would interact with.

Definitely taking up the mantle of NPCs, antagonists, and setting characters as the duties of a GM helps a lot. Very often in the RPs I would run, I didn't even have a "Main character" myself, and I just played out the various peoples and baddies that the PCs would interact with.
Thanks you guys for giving such great advice! I really appreciate it! ^^

Anyways, how were your days so far?

Soooo..... who all is still on board for this? It's awfully quiet. js

Yeah, me too. I'm planning to go back to school and I have to write a motivation essay. I'm kinda struggling with it, ngl, haha

Hey, but seriously.... is Whimstories Whimstories still going to GM this? It's been a few days, and I've seen that they've been on site. But they haven't so much as booped in here to let us know they are still interested in being the GM. I kinda feel stupid in rolling around all this talk and ideas, and we may not even have a GM anymore. Are you still in contact with them, Hiuly of Starmoon Hiuly of Starmoon ? I figured the previous @ to them should have sufficed in being a polite reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back