Other Which do you think is worse- physical pain or emotional pain- and why?

So what do you think? Which is worse, and why?

• Physical pain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emotional pain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would say emotional pain because it's lot worse compare to physical pain itself. Emotional pain - in my opinion - would be difficult to handle. There are a lot of ways to develop emotional pain. Depression, stress... other things like it. It's not fun to have if you ask me.

I'd go with physical pain because I'm not great with emotions to begin with. Emotions are too confusing and get people in lots of trouble.

[QUOTE="Enuky K]I predicted everyone would be "team emotional pain", hah, but I kinda think people are just being dramatic.
With emotional pain you can still exist with it comfortably.... I think if you consider extreme physical pain (like severe burns) and being dumped you'd find being dumped easier to deal with, but maybe that's just me.

I've never really had any trouble dealing with emotional pain. It's easier to avoid by consuming yourself into something distracting (like RPN) whereas physical pain can't really be distracted from without medication.

Emotional pain is also mental... whereas certain pains/injuries can cause death. You can argue that emotional pain can in some situations lead to premature death, but you're a lot more likely to die from a physical injury than an emotional one. .

[/QUOTE]
I agree with you all the way.

Skyena said:
I voted for emotional pain, and guess I got it into a tie once more.
I've dealt with severe depression for years now, and it's awful. There were days, upon weeks, upon months were I had to literally hold myself to stop from doing anything rash. It still hasn't gone away, and I wish so much for it to. It's like being tortured in a dark room in your mind, where a mirror version of yourself is doing horrible stuff to you. Help or no help, determination or no determination, I really think emotional pain is much more painful.

The scariest thing that happened to me dealing with physical pain is when I fainted and crashed into concrete. Fortunately, I didn't get any bad injuries but the pain when I woke up a few seconds later was excruciating. It was like being thrown around like a rag doll and I was just so woozy. I recovered quickly though, unlike emotional pain. But all kinds of pain hurts. And it can hurt a LOT.
I feel the same way with my anxiety and depression too.

DuchessAdora said:
Social rejection is one of the worst things. You lose touch with reality, and if you ever get back out into the world, you can't remember how to appropriately interact with others, leading you to become either too aggressive or too hidden in the shadows.
Social rejection and its effects would be something that I should agree with you on. The more you're moving away from reality itself, the more likely you feel your sense of reality that involves communicating with anyone goes fading away. Sometimes even worse, they are some that don't know what our voice sound like when we express our emotion on a video or an audio recording.

Captifate said:
Once you hit your limit with physical pain, you pretty much pass out. While your brain tries to balance the "fight or flight" response with your "rest and digest" response, an injury hampers its ability to manage that. This causes a vasovagal response (or a sudden drop in blood pressure) which means light-headedness (and possibly fainting). Laying down helps increase blood pressure in the brain so it receives more oxygen.
Emotional pain can stay with you for decades depending on how traumatic the experience was, but also your genetic makeup and resilience towards stressful events. Some people are more prone to developing PTSD, for example, than others.
You're right. PTSD is really never a good thing. I knew a woman who teaches a psychology class that has PTSD from the time she was a kid due abuse. Poor woman. It made me sad that she was abuse as a kid. For me from five to seven years old, I witnessed abuse between a boy student (who was nine years old) and a teacher that was a woman (who was in her 40s or 50s). That scared and scarred me as a child, and I began having fear of women for the rest of my life after I changed schools at eight years old. It's very hard for me to communicate and/or develop a platonic/romantic relationship with a woman without having an anxiety attack. It's unbearable and embarrassing for me as a woman at 20 years old and going to college.

@PriestressMagenta Something that might help you in the future, rather than making so many posts in quick succession, you could use the Multi-Quote feature. It's the "+Quote" button next to the reply button. Click it on all the posts you want to reply to and, when you're finished, press the "Insert Quotes" button that'll be at the bottom of the reply box. Makes replying to a lot of posts at the same time much easier (^.^)

Phadia said:
Why? Just because I'm bored!
Personally, I think "emotional pain" is worse. For physical pain, you have painkillers, band-aids, ice packs etc.

Emotional pain can't really be helped. I mean, it depends on the person and situation, but there's no "painkiller" for your feelings.

I also have a very high pain threshold, so physical pain is something I, personally, can handle relatively well.

I know people, though, who can't handle physical pain at all.
I agree that's the ugly truth behind emotional pain. You can't turn and run away from it. For other people, they would turn and run away from you if you tell them that you're stressed out or depressed. It's unbearably embarrassing.

Unless the physical pain is severe (chronic pain, severe burns, life-threatening disease, etc) I vote emotional pain.

I'd much prefer to hurt physically to emotionally, myself. I'd much rather have a few broken toes or even a broken arm than I mental breakdown. It seems like physical pain requires a lot less upkeep - sure, you have to make sure it's healing, but in most cases healing of a physical injury is not a large or daunting task.

You just have to let the body heal and deal with any restrictions you're under because of it.

I think, mostly because of that, emotional pain is worse. There is a conscious effort that goes into getting through it, if it's serious, and it's a kind of hell. With physical pain, you either die, or you heal. Mental pain has this middle point between the two that's easy to sit at.

Physical pain is temporary and often short, but emotional pain can stay with you for years...

They're both the same in a couple ways, but different in more ways. And this may not apply to you so don't freak.

Physical pain is like Emotional pain because you can get used to either. Like, you know those guys who kick stuff with their shins a ton so that they're really tough and then they go set world records or whatever? It's kind of like that. Except usually people don't try and hurt themselves, mentally or physically. Any pain, emotional, mental, physical, can fade away to something you barely notice any more. While, due to how our minds are, we may not get used to sadness or anger or whatever as easily, but that doesn't mean you can't. Like, if you live your entire life with some kind of deformity, even if it gets in the way of common tasks, it can eventually fade out to being more or less normal.

Emotional pain stays with us because adaptation to our surroundings taught us to hold onto things that could be harmful so that we can instinctively avoid it in the future. This does and doesn't count for physical pain, because yes we do this after physical injuries, it's still all in your head. And not in your nerves for as long as in your head.

Some people might say physical pain is worse, because they've lived a life of so much trauma to the point that they've gotten used to it. It sounds horrible, but it's not to them, because, again, they tuned it out. These people would probably disregard things that would offend, sadden, ect. the average person, and can be inferred to be commonly depressed. To the point where they just slump across life. For people, anyone who hasn't reached this point, they would say emotional pain is worse. Of course, this is the majority of people.

Personally, I don't have an opinion. I don't really care about much to the point where I would get angry at someone if they expressed anger towards me because I like to keep an independent view on things. Anyone who thinks something else is right, well, they're either right or they're wrong, but I'm more concerned about my own view of things when it comes to my own emotional stability. Now, don't think I'm some kind of isolationist, although I kind of have been recently (Although nobody believes me when I say I chose to be -.-), I'm just putting across a neutral perspective of this.

I don't know how to end this post, so,

~The Arrival (The Departure)

Wow, I struggled to choose for a long time. Personally, I'm leaning towards physical pain is worse. Emotional may be a bit harder to deal with in many ways, but I feel when you get through it and conquer it, you come out stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
SparkleBreaker said:
Emotional may be a bit harder to deal with in many ways, but I feel when you get through it and conquer it, you come out stronger.
Exactly.

Emotional pain is worse because physical pain is to an extent actually is good for you. So is emotional pain, but physical pain releases endorphins and emotional pain is something you can't stop immediately. It sticks to you like a darn tick. With physical pain the pain eventually stops, but if it doesn't stop you just die and won't feel pain anymore.

Erbrin said:
Emotional pain can lead to physical pain, depending how said person suffering handles it.
That's a very good point as well, I hadn't thought of that.

I'd say they're about equal, as long as you're not comparing heartbreak and a papercut.

I do know that the way the brain processes emotional pain has a lot of mental overlap with the way it processes physical pain. Weird, but true: tylenol blunts emotional pain, at least according to a few (relatively new) studies.

For me personally, physical and emotional pain are a positive feedback loop. Physical pain makes me tired, anxious/irritable, and weepy. Emotional pain means muscle tension and spasms that can get pretty bad because my body is messed up to start with. Pain in general is just not fun.

[QUOTE="The Departure]They're both the same in a couple ways, but different in more ways. And this may not apply to you so don't freak.
Physical pain is like Emotional pain because you can get used to either. Like, you know those guys who kick stuff with their shins a ton so that they're really tough and then they go set world records or whatever? It's kind of like that. Except usually people don't try and hurt themselves, mentally or physically. Any pain, emotional, mental, physical, can fade away to something you barely notice any more. While, due to how our minds are, we may not get used to sadness or anger or whatever as easily, but that doesn't mean you can't. Like, if you live your entire life with some kind of deformity, even if it gets in the way of common tasks, it can eventually fade out to being more or less normal.

Emotional pain stays with us because adaptation to our surroundings taught us to hold onto things that could be harmful so that we can instinctively avoid it in the future. This does and doesn't count for physical pain, because yes we do this after physical injuries, it's still all in your head. And not in your nerves for as long as in your head.

Some people might say physical pain is worse, because they've lived a life of so much trauma to the point that they've gotten used to it. It sounds horrible, but it's not to them, because, again, they tuned it out. These people would probably disregard things that would offend, sadden, ect. the average person, and can be inferred to be commonly depressed. To the point where they just slump across life. For people, anyone who hasn't reached this point, they would say emotional pain is worse. Of course, this is the majority of people.

Personally, I don't have an opinion. I don't really care about much to the point where I would get angry at someone if they expressed anger towards me because I like to keep an independent view on things. Anyone who thinks something else is right, well, they're either right or they're wrong, but I'm more concerned about my own view of things when it comes to my own emotional stability. Now, don't think I'm some kind of isolationist, although I kind of have been recently (Although nobody believes me when I say I chose to be -.-), I'm just putting across a neutral perspective of this.

I don't know how to end this post, so,

~The Arrival (The Departure)

[/QUOTE]
I do agree with you on this.

Most definitely emotional. This may be because of the combination of autism and my mental illness which I do not want to reveal due to the stigma makes me more sensitive to stress and therefore more easily overwhelmed. Or maybe it is because I wear my heart on my sleeve. Either way, I've been through a lot of crud.

Spoliered because story.

Case in point, shortly after my parents divorced, I moved into another school. But, as I soon found out, the kids here are cruel. It started out when I grew annoyed when this kid kept saying "gobble" after a song for a Thanksgiving play. The others soon picked up, and began repeating that hated word every chance they get. And then they added more words when I had other incidents, including one where I was freaked out after reading a book about aliens, they began finding opportunities to repeat the word around me. I began dreading school as the kids kept tormenting me. Did I have friends? Yes, but none of whom I could trust, as some of my "friends" stabbed me in the back. Tell the teachers? They would just tell me to ignore it as they refuse to lift a finger to help me. Tell my now-single mother? Because of a paranoid delusion I had at the time, I didn't want to tell her, and anyways, I believed she would just bring it to the teachers who refused to help me. Soon, repeating words turned into insults of "fathead" and "uglyhead" and claims of spying on my home, feeding my clinical depression and the paranoia from my other mental illness. I didn't trust anyone, and took any excuse to not go to school so I wouldn't have to deal with the bullying. In sixth grade, I snapped, and had to go to a psychiatric help place called First Step at a hospital for a week. We moved into another school....and in a few years time went through another period of emotional trauma which I don't want to describe.
Tell me...if you went through that for three years, would you have shrugged it off? If the answer is yes, I guess I'm the emotionally weaker one over here, but I doubt that is the answer. Either way, I would rather have a broken leg than have to go through that again.

UmbreonRogue said:
Most definitely emotional. This may be because of the combination of autism and my mental illness which I do not want to reveal due to the stigma makes me more sensitive to stress and therefore more easily overwhelmed. Or maybe it is because I wear my heart on my sleeve. Either way, I've been through a lot of crud.
Spoliered because story.

Case in point, shortly after my parents divorced, I moved into another school. But, as I soon found out, the kids here are cruel. It started out when I grew annoyed when this kid kept saying "gobble" after a song for a Thanksgiving play. The others soon picked up, and began repeating that hated word every chance they get. And then they added more words when I had other incidents, including one where I was freaked out after reading a book about aliens, they began finding opportunities to repeat the word around me. I began dreading school as the kids kept tormenting me. Did I have friends? Yes, but none of whom I could trust, as some of my "friends" stabbed me in the back. Tell the teachers? They would just tell me to ignore it as they refuse to lift a finger to help me. Tell my now-single mother? Because of a paranoid delusion I had at the time, I didn't want to tell her, and anyways, I believed she would just bring it to the teachers who refused to help me. Soon, repeating words turned into insults of "fathead" and "uglyhead" and claims of spying on my home, feeding my clinical depression and the paranoia from my other mental illness. I didn't trust anyone, and took any excuse to not go to school so I wouldn't have to deal with the bullying. In sixth grade, I snapped, and had to go to a psychiatric help place called First Step at a hospital for a week. We moved into another school....and in a few years time went through another period of emotional trauma which I don't want to describe.
Tell me...if you went through that for three years, would you have shrugged it off? If the answer is yes, I guess I'm the emotionally weaker one over here, but I doubt that is the answer. Either way, I would rather have a broken leg than have to go through that again.
Very, very well said. I applaud you, sir Umbreon.

(Even though my picture is of a Sylveon :P )

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through in school... Children are horrible, and nobody should ever have to go through what you did ( :( )

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here and say that I'd much prefer to suffer emotional pain than physical. At least, at this time in my life. And at least with emotional pain, you can usually just go to your room and cry your eyes out. But physical pain, oh boy. It could show up for no rhyme or reason, and make your life so much worse. It takes a lot less physical pain than emotional pain to stop you from doing everyday things. And instead of just going to your room and crying, you're kind of just stuck with it, having to grit your teeth, try not to make too much noise, and push your way through. Sure, you can take medication, but nobody really wants it to come to that, and so they push their limits.

I'm not saying depression isn't a serious topic. Because it really is. People have died from severe cases of depression. But more often than not, physical pain is also involved with depression harsh enough to take a life. And it takes a lot more emotional pain to do as much damage as a broken shin, or a painful organ disease.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Though, more often than not, they do go hand-in-hand.

Daisie said:
I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here and say that I'd much prefer to suffer emotional pain than physical. At least, at this time in my life. And at least with emotional pain, you can usually just go to your room and cry your eyes out. But physical pain, oh boy. It could show up for no rhyme or reason, and make your life so much worse. It takes a lot less physical pain than emotional pain to stop you from doing everyday things. And instead of just going to your room and crying, you're kind of just stuck with it, having to grit your teeth, try not to make too much noise, and push your way through. Sure, you can take medication, but nobody really wants it to come to that, and so they push their limits.
I'm not saying depression isn't a serious topic. Because it really is. People have died from severe cases of depression. But more often than not, physical pain is also involved with depression harsh enough to take a life. And it takes a lot more emotional pain to do as much damage as a broken shin, or a painful organ disease.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Though, more often than not, they do go hand-in-hand.
You make some good points, but I have to disagree with you that you can just cry out emotional pain. Sure, most milder cases of it, you can do that. But look at @UmbreonRogue above. Do you think she could've just cried all that out? We're comparing two extremes here - Say, a broken leg versus a broken heart, not a a stomach virus versus a sad story you read online one day.

...Okay, there are probably better examples than that, but you get the point xD It just feels like you're looking at the latter case, and not the former. Which I understand, since as far as I know you've never experienced the former case. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back