• Discord

• Indifferent

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shawdios

It’s pronounced SHAWDIOS!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So out of frustration for Discord requirements barring me from some of the very few GRPs that interest me, I’ve decided to run a poll.

Which do you prefer for OOC chatter?

Discord or On Site?

And why?

I'd definitely prefer on site OOC.

I'm very hesitant to anything that requires you to move to other platforms in general, be it Discord servers or other forums.

While I get that doing so may have certain benefits, I'm worried that some people will take the opportunity to ignore the rules of the original platform.

I prefer all my RP-related threads be on-site. It's a public forum so any issues are out in the open where anyone can see them rather than be hidden away in the more private channels on platforms such as Discord. I don't want to bar minors from being able to participate in my games and having related threads on a public forum makes things safer for both minor and adult RPers. I believe an active OOC thread is also good advertising.

On site, because I like to keep all rp-related things in one place.

I prefer discord for OOC. It's just faster and more convenient. And admittedly, it can lend itself a bit to more off topic discussions that lends itself to an almost "small town" like community. Which I can understand isn't everyone's thing.

On site.

I'm not always super active on Discord, and I don't want to have to check an entirely different site every time someone messages me OOC.

Depends on the person or Roleplay. I'll join Discord for group Roleplays, but I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to one-on-ones. I prefer Discord when possible though.

Discord - use it way more than actual RPN. RPN's good for weeding out people you vibe with and those that you don't though, so I'll give it that.

I won't use Discord at all any more. RpNation is safer in my eyes, because I had a bad experience with Discord that could have been even worse.
Basically, someone was trying to sexualize the rp and godmod, and everyone was uncomfortable with it. Seeing as i wasn't the one hosting it, I was afraid to complain, and the actual host wasn't all too comfortable enforcing the rules themself. But if I were the only one uncomfortable then I'd be up the creek without a paddle. I've had other bad experiences too, and some even involved character theft to which I had little recourse. That's why I don't like to participate in any off-site rps or chats.

Definitely on site. I personally don't understand the appeal of Discord for OOC chatter for RP happening on this site. Having everything here makes it easier for me.

Discord hands down. You can pin important notes not lost to 5 pages of fart jokes level comments that happen in group rp's. It keeps it fresh and involved, I also don't much like keeping up with a forum based ooc. Maverick Six up above puts it pretty well too.

Discord hands down. You can pin important notes not lost to 5 pages of fart jokes level comments that happen in group rp's. It keeps it fresh and involved, I also don't much like keeping up with a forum based ooc. Maverick Six up above puts it pretty well too.
You can bookmark specific posts in a thread for easy reference. I've done it a few times. If you look at the top right a post, you'll see three symbols. The middle one is a bookmark. Just click it to bookmark a post.

You can bookmark specific posts in a thread for easy reference. I've done it a few times. If you look at the top right a post, you'll see three symbols. The middle one is a bookmark. Just click it to bookmark a post.
While Useful, I'm in one OOC, that at least upon being established would be several pages in by the time I went to bed and woke up. And it requires the user themselves to bookmark it, meaning you have to point it out to them to do so, while with discord as an gm or co-gm with the right permissions I can pin the information in a global list, and it is up for everyone's reference. So, discord still wins unless you got a slow ooc, which is bad for RP health. Still a nifty feature for here when I need to recall a specific post.

I got almost 50 pages of ooc forum wise, then a player made a discord and we ended up liking it better

If I wanted to chat on Discord, I might as well just drag the whole roleplay on Discord.

At least then it wouldn't get lost among anything else. But then the response length is curtailed by discords limits and the formatting ain't as fancy. Nevertheless, I prefer to either or, because I'm fine with either format for chatting or roleplaying ultimately.

I don't see why I'd spread a single roleplay between two sites, effectively, it just feels so inefficient and impractical.

I won't use Discord at all any more. RpNation is safer in my eyes, because I had a bad experience with Discord that could have been even worse.
Basically, someone was trying to sexualize the rp and godmod, and everyone was uncomfortable with it. Seeing as i wasn't the one hosting it, I was afraid to complain, and the actual host wasn't all too comfortable enforcing the rules themself. But if I were the only one uncomfortable then I'd be up the creek without a paddle. I've had other bad experiences too, and some even involved character theft to which I had little recourse. That's why I don't like to participate in any off-site rps or chats.
I feel like this brings an important point about the point of a gm. I’ll most likely be speaking from my own experience with gming, I used to act like rules were there as a courtesy, to give more of a general idea of the atmosphere you want to create but not so much something you’d want to enforce. I was more eager to rp than regulating behaviors that can mess up the group dynamic between players. But rules are necessary to make sure you have cohesion and a safe environment and gms do need rules to do that

That being said I used to prefer discord simply because I was using it everyday. But I’m using it a lot less now and prefer on site ooc. It’s more compact and convenient to have everything in the same space, also with discord there is the potential of player interactions going on that a gm will not know about. I don’t know how to explain it but I learned with on-site ooc, the compact feeling makes you feel accountable for others to make sure you aren’t making the site a shitty place to be. Whereas discord ooc feels isolating. Because ooc becomes its own discord server it can be seen ‘as out of bounds’ for rpn admins and you might have some weird interactions with players

If an rp uses discord for ooc then I’ll use it but for me I’ve been warming up to ooc a lot more for convenience sake as well as community

It’s more compact and convenient to have everything in the same space, also with discord there is the potential of player interactions going on that a gm will not know about. I don’t know how to explain it but I learned with on-site ooc, the compact feeling makes you feel accountable for others to make sure you aren’t making the site a shitty place to be. Whereas discord ooc feels isolating. Because ooc becomes its own discord server it can be seen ‘as out of bounds’ for rpn admins and you might have some weird interactions with players
That's a very good way of putting it.

Discord, hands down. If you have the OOC be on RPN, then we have people saying "Oh, my alerts weren't working!" or "Oh, I missed this question!" and it takes 5-20 business days to figure out simple stuff, while on Discord it takes less than a minute. You can organize the discord server into channels that can be very specific, and is an overall better way to reach out to people.

On that note, I appreciate GMs who offer both, and any plotting/questions that were figured out in the discord can be relayed to the RPN OOC thread. However, this does open up to the RPN-only people to be ostracized somewhat, but not fully barred from roleplaying with the rest of the group.

I just don't like Discord and won't use it. Hands down. That's it.

I get it's a lot more convenient, but I've been burned more than just a couple times for me to even want to be on the app. You could say I ragequit.

Ooc in rpn is a bit better for me. I'm always checking so it's not like I'm gonna miss something if the notifs aren't notifying. Plus, bbcode. It looks cool, but I'm not gonna try too hard with it.

I adore discord. I find it a lot easier to use and I think it can be a huge boon for group-RPs, because you can easily make channels for various topics. I love having separate channels for things like general chatting, IC plotting, Q&As or games, and brainstorming for my characters in character-specific channels. Also, I find that I get notifications more reliably and I'm able to reply a lot faster, because I get the pop-up alerts. I've fallen behind a lot when not using discord. Overall, I've found discord OOC to be more active in general and easier to keep track of conversation threads and go back to check messages if I need a refresher or to look up something specific.

It depends on how active my partner is and how long we've been rping.

If my partner isn't super active in ooc chatter then I'd prefer to just stay on site. If my partner is active in ooc chatter than I wouldn't mind giving them my disc.

Although it's also a little time based as well, I'd prefer to give my disc to someone I know I vibe with and talk to often. So that my discord isnt flooded with people that ghost me after the first message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back