Advice/Help Where Do I Begin..?

ArcaneDreamer

The Absent-Minded Daydreamer
Okay, so...
I know what I want to do for this Fantasy/Modern hybrid RP I've been thinking of doing. I have the plot down and everything!
But there's a minor issue I have:
I have a lot of mechanics I plan on using, which includes things like keeping track of health/energy, going on mini-adventures/quests, and bits of world building, all while keeping the players on the track of a grander stroy. Thing is, there are several forums that my RP could sort of fit in.
Which one is better?

Okay, so...
I know what I want to do for this Fantasy/Modern hybrid RP I've been thinking of doing. I have the plot down and everything!
But there's a minor issue I have:
I have a lot of mechanics I plan on using, which includes things like keeping track of health/energy, going on mini-adventures/quests, and bits of world building, all while keeping the players on the track of a grander stroy. Thing is, there are several forums that my RP could sort of fit in.
Which one is better?
Maybe ask about a Hosted Project?
You can pretty much run the whole thing there, and you could create a forum for each category of things you want to do, and then make a new thread every time.
I think dice in Hosted Projects are broken right now, but that's it, and I could be wrong

Fantasy or scifi. Fantasy is fantasy, it doesn't have to be medieval. Scifi also works if you're using like an alternate time line where the technology is way ahead of real life.

You can pretty much run the whole thing there, and you could create a forum for each category of things you want to do, and then make a new thread every time.
I think dice in Hosted Projects are broken right now, but that's it, and I could be wrong

A Hosted Project? Well, it does kinda fit...
Oh, wait a sec. If I want to do a Hosted Project, do I need permission from an administrator?
Plus, it appears that there's a bunch of categories within the Hosted Projects section that my idea fits under....
Gahhh, I'm not used to having this many options...!
Sorry if I'm being too difficult/indecisive/annoying about this...

Oh, wait a sec. If I want to do a Hosted Project, do I need permission from an administrator?
Plus, it appears that there's a bunch of categories within the Hosted Projects section that my idea fits under....
Lol, I have no idea. I haven't hosted one there yet XD. Just been in one.
But to be entirely honest, you can choose for yourself what category it should be in, though Hunter x Hunter is kind of a fantasy.

I don't recommend it. Hosted projects are now supposed to be gems for the site again, and you need to apply and be approved as a hosted project, which includes a bunch of criteria that I am pretty sure most starting roleplays can't achieve. And even if you somehow did, odds are your roleplay is gonna die. Take it from someone who has plenty experience in making RPs with a lot of mechanics that the mortality rate for these only shoots way up from more free-style RPs. If you make a hosted project and can' t keep it up, that will hurt your record and your possibilities of making more hosted projects in the future.

As for the area, here is the criteria I normally use, you stop whenever the answer to one of these is "yes":
1. Is it based on a fandom or involve fandom characters?
Then it is fandom

2. Does it involve magic in any form, including impossible races?
Then it's most likely fantasy

3. Is the roleplay not breaking but extrapolating upon scientic principles?
Then it's most likely sci-fi

3. Does your roleplay take place in a modern setting with no form of supernatural or scifi elements?
Then it's most likely modern

Do note I skipped nation building, quest and colleseum, since I barely ever used those forums as did the majority here.

I don't recommend it. Hosted projects are now supposed to be gems for the site again, and you need to apply and be approved as a hosted project, which includes a bunch of criteria that I am pretty sure most starting roleplays can't achieve. And even if you somehow did, odds are your roleplay is gonna die. Take it from someone who has plenty experience in making RPs with a lot of mechanics that the mortality rate for these only shoots way up from more free-style RPs. If you make a hosted project and can' t keep it up, that will hurt your record and your possibilities of making more hosted projects in the future.

As for the area, here is the criteria I normally use, you stop whenever the answer to one of these is "yes":
1. Is it based on a fandom or involve fandom characters?
Then it is fandom

2. Does it involve magic in any form, including impossible races?
Then it's most likely fantasy

3. Is the roleplay not breaking but extrapolating upon scientic principles?
Then it's most likely sci-fi

3. Does your roleplay take place in a modern setting with no form of supernatural or scifi elements?
Then it's most likely modern

Do note I skipped nation building, quest and colleseum, since I barely ever used those forums as did the majority here.

... That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing all of this out to me!
Well, looks like I'll be sticking to the Fantasy section, then!
I can't wait for this to finally get underway, ehehe~☆

The genres are defined above each specific subjection so for instance :

Fantasy
Roleplays containing fantastic or whimsical settings that are not grounded in real life. You can expect roleplays with magic, mythical creatures and worlds entirely unlike our own in this category.

Realistic or Modern
Roleplays containing settings that are very similar to the real world. These settings still might have some minor fantasy or futuristic elements in them, but they are not the focal point of these roleplays. You can expect this category to be associated with games revolving around slice-of-life, historical fiction, detective dramas and superhero stories.

Fandom
Roleplays containing pre-written or fan-created settings or characters of certain books, video games, movies or other franchises.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like either they got rid of the other types ( Quests, Dice, etc. ) or they have been hidden from my computer.

The point is that in RPN they determine placement of your roleplay by the setting not necessarily individual elements basically - if it has any basis on the real world - it's realistic/modern. If it's entirely made up from scratch - it's fantasy. if it includes elements of a published work than it's likely fandom.

Consider adding a discord channel as a layer to your RP. You could have different read-only channels for rules, ledgers, mechanics that are easier to click between than switching forums. take a look in at it.

Consider adding a discord channel as a layer to your RP. You could have different read-only channels for rules, ledgers, mechanics that are easier to click between than switching forums. take a look in at it.

Holy crud why did I not think of that---
Thanks dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back