Viewpoint When do you believe RP has gone too far?

Not really the rape was put in for 2 reasons.

1. To illustrate the fact that Goblins were evil disgusting creatures, they wanted you to hate the band see why Goblin Slayer hates them.

2. To explain how Golblin's reproduce when there are no female Goblins.

Also, it does become a factor more than once actually, there is a point in anime and the manga where Goblin Slayer Kills a group of goblins by setting their lair of fire and killing hostages to where he explains there was no point in them living anymore as they had probably be raped repeatedly and were probably pregnant with Goblin babies so they were better off dead it also comes into play when they show how they raped and tortured an elf in a tower and then the meat shields and then there is what happened to Goblin Slayer's sister who was raped and brutally murdered in front of him. It wasn't just shoehorned it and I'm surprised people still think this when not has been shown not have a purpose multiple times.
I find nothing wrong with it, but it was just merely shoehorned in. They could have conveyed the abuse of the girls by just showing the lifeless and mentally checked out ones. They were quite filthy, naked, and had a terrible expression that screamed, " kill me now". But by showing the goblins raping those girls, it was just a way to try and get shock value. It's akin to the way terminator thinks they'll make another billion dollars because of, " Muh robots" or the way jurassic park thinks, " my raptors"..will carry the film franchise. So no, the idea that we needed to see this to show they were evil is absurd. They already killed that boy and that girl viciously and without mercy. Thus I stand by my statement that it was just shoehorned in.

Nah, why didn't he kill the ones that were raped continuously in the first episode? Why don't we ever see what happens to these girls after they're saved? It would be pretty gritty if goblin slayer checked up on the victims and helped them out in his downtime. But nah, it's just for shock value. They don't know how to create organic drama. So they have to conjure up negative emotions with visual imagery.

As for those meat shield girls. Yes, so what? They captured girls and used them to take advantage of weaklings. It's not like they showed them being raped, before being dragged to those shields and tied up stark naked.

A roleplay goes to far when someone is made uncomfortable OR you break the site rules. Every roleplay I’m in one of the first things I ask is what my partners dealbreakers are and give them my own. Also obviously there are the site rules to consider because I’m not getting suspended because someone wants to push an envelope.

I find nothing wrong with it, but it was just merely shoehorned in. They could have conveyed the abuse of the girls by just showing the lifeless and mentally checked out ones. They were quite filthy, naked, and had a terrible expression that screamed, " kill me now". But by showing the goblins raping those girls, it was just a way to try and get shock value. It's akin to the way terminator thinks they'll make another billion dollars because of, " Muh robots" or the way jurassic park thinks, " my raptors"..will carry the film franchise. So no, the idea that we needed to see this to show they were evil is absurd. They already killed that boy and that girl viciously and without mercy. Thus I stand by my statement that it was just shoehorned in.

Nah, why didn't he kill the ones that were raped continuously in the first episode? Why don't we ever see what happens to these girls after they're saved? It would be pretty gritty if goblin slayer checked up on the victims and helped them out in his downtime. But nah, it's just for shock value. They don't know how to create organic drama. So they have to conjure up negative emotions with visual imagery.

As for those meat shield girls. Yes, so what? They captured girls and used them to take advantage of weaklings. It's not like they showed them being raped, before being dragged to those shields and tied up stark naked.

I didn't say did have a problem with it.

That's a bit bias in my personal opinion, in that case they didn't need to show Casca being raped in Berserk, I could easily say that was for shock value as well. As bad as it is to say brutal and vicious murder isn't enough to drive the point home these days. In berserk while there are a lot of people who hate Griffith for betraying the hawk and subjecting then to brutal and vicious deaths the main thing they all remember is that he raped Casca in front of guts, even though one could come the conclusion that he was fucked up just from the sacrifice, that is what most people believe makes him truly evil. Tenzen from Basilisk was also a very evil man, there are many things I could tell you about him but what mostly everyone remembered is how he tried to rape Oboro and how he did rape Kagerou, brutal and vicious murder is common place in anime especially for anime that were coming out around the same time as Goblin Slayer. In Tokyo tribe 2, god help me for invoking it's name do you remember all the other fucked up shit Bupa did including cannibalism or the fact that he raped a man to death?

Because Goblin Slayer isn't that type of hero, he's not stupid and he's not going to rush in where there is little to no chance of success the reason he didn'tokill the one's in the first episode is because there was little to no risk. The reason he killed the girls in the lair by setting it on fire and suffocating them with smoke is because there were too many goblins and going in had a high risk of him dying and as he has explained no one cares about Goblins, he's the only one who does everyone else underestimates them and let them grow in numbers until they have to deal with a horde and it really becomes a problem so if he subjected himself to that the of risk and died, no one else would be around to deal with the Goblins.

Did they have to show the rape? No, no one has to show anything, they don't have to show murder either but I doubt people think that's shoehorned in simply because it was shown.

Last edited:
... The reason there was a single graphic rape scene and they don't do it again is because it accomplished its goal and you don't need to do it again. By showing the rape, you create an intense hatred for the goblins [I have friends that hate all goblins now even ones without genitals or gender like Warhammer] and it lets you create a bond with the main character and an understanding of his motivation. If you didn't get that, just got 'oh, look, they are all beaten up and sad, so sad', you'd have been much less okay with him killing the goblin babies at the end, but because they took the time to show what they did, it becomes easier for you to justify it/look the other way or even encourage his actions.

If it was shoehorned in for shock value, they would keep showing it. If they were trying to make it a 'joke', 'normalize' it or use it as shock value [akin to how horror movies use gore] then there would be a lot of it. They don't do this because, again, they don't need to. They created that feeling they were going for and now all they have to do is allude to it such as the meat shields and it creates tension when there is a chance it could happen again [Like priest girl being grabbed by the hob, elf girl being tackled, etc] and that dread comes back because you know, horribly too well, what the goblins will do.

Using something graphic and horrible isn't just 'muh shock value'. How it is used matters. The fact it was done in the first episode should tell you if it is just 'muh shock value' or if they were doing it for some other purpose.

There are many elements to a narrative, from character to tone to plot, setting, etc... In all of these, as long as there is an understanding that it is element of fiction and works within those parameters then nothing is really off the table. I can enjoy a manga where god-awful people are forced into horrendous scenarios such as being fed their own family, because this particular manga happens to be a revenge manga, no one is under the illusion that anything going on in it is anything that should be done or that the MC is anything else than a the same piece of sh*t than the rest of the world he is in, but because the author understands this as well they don't hold back and it can be a really fun read. Terrible writing, terrible actions but fun nonetheless.

Of course, the same way we can regularly tolerate a number of things that are horrible in retrospect, one can also be sensitive to the smallest things. I can enjoy the kind of manga I just described, but the thought of "good" demons or the consistent portrayal of the church as corrupt pedophiles in media utterly irks me. While I believe that there is nothing wrong with containing horrible elements themselves in a story, no one has any obligation to put up or participate in it. I simply argue that this is an active action one should take for their own needs, rather than intrude on what others can or cannot do, and that those that do include those things are at worst trolls or irresponsible for it, but usually just people who wanted to include a particular element in their story that they didn't view as that much of an issue.

That said, there are three cases where I do things may have gone too far:

1. Breach of prior agreement
2. Breaking the site's rules
3. When the understanding that what you are writing is fiction is dropped. Once you start trying to draw parallels to the real world (actively, not someone else interpreting stuff into your work), or if you pick up a real person, or your story is meant to be an explorational piece or argumentative...then you need to start putting weight to what you are claiming and implying.

My basic rule for if it's gone too far is if one of the roleplayers has become uncomfortable with something, you're aware of it, and you keep doing it. So like, it's not your fault if you didn't realize your partner doesn't like darker elements in a RP (although really you should both discuss this first) but if you now know, and keep trying to include them in a RP despite that, not only are you being kind of a dick, but you should probably end the roleplay.

This is a special case, but also it's gone too far if your partner is being innapropriate with *you* specifically. So like, your partner thinks you guys are dating just because your characters are, or is otherwise ignoring boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back