Opinion What's the saddest song you've ever heard?

Lone Star II

Elder Member
In your opinion, anyway
Mine is Togetherness 1

If you know where the song comes from, and the story behind it, as well as everything that happens....
I can't eat.
I listened to this song non-stop yesterday. Only thing I listened to. At one point I just lied down on my bed, listening to it for hours.
Yeah well anyways.....

Your turn

And please, don't say 'Driver's License'

Last edited:
The Bones of Baby Dolls by Acid Bath, Daddy by Korn, Ren by Black Sheep Wall, Worthless Animal by Deafheaven... Okay, that's four, but I like music a whole lot.

i am the antichrist to you by kishi bashi makes me :( in a good way

i also have a distinct memory crying while listening to ultralight beam lmao

personally for me, it's "me & my dog" by boygenius. this song came on shuffle right after my dog of 20 years passed away, so it's just attached to that memory in my brain. boygenius in general makes really emotional music, they're amazing. "bite the hand" is also another really good one.

This is my favorite song, but it's also one I can't help but cry at despite the cheerful tune. Those lyrics, man, they hit you hard. It just has this melancholy sense of conclusion about it, the sort of thing that would play over the credits of a vibrant but dying world, if that makes sense.

Antidote by Faith Marie.
Cause no one knows what goes on up inside my head...

I have been waiting for this...

“It’s Just A Dog” by Mo Pitney. It would normal make me cry, but I lost my dog this year and I’ve never really recovered. I either cry nonstop or smile really wide when I hear this song. It’s an emotional rollercoaster, really.

Hm, not entirely the saddest I've heard but it is one that sticks with me. The lyrics, the singer's haunting voice. I still love it though.

Probably doesn't help that my first time around, I reaaaaaally fucked up and got all sentient life wiped out, whoops... And then this started playing.

The thing about sadness is that it can be caused/triggered by so many things - sentimentality, tragedy, injustice, grief, isolation, loneliness. When I think about a song that epitomizes all those things, I think of Bird on a Wire by Leonard Cohen.

empty chares at empty tables from les mis is gutwrenching, but it makes me feel more anger than anguish.... same with Till we reach that day from ragtime... but My Mother Bore Me from Phantom is both in and out of context a heartbreaker...

It's a bit of an obvious choice but Hurt by Johnny Cash is really a breathtaking song. What really gets me is the fact that it was one of the very last songs that he recorded before his death.

This one was written after Against The Current's frontwoman tragically lost a close friend of hers. Much like its title, this song feels incredibly personal. Every lyric in the song is so incredibly genuine and charged with emotion. I lost a friend of mine to cancer about a year ago and I remember listening to this around then. So, it hits pretty close to home for me.

This one gets an honorable mention because of the music video alone.

I know most will not understand shit, but this is my sad song

but if going for more instrumental:

Pretty much any song can make me cry if I'm in the right mood for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back