What's The Most Annoying Character Type?

Tarazul

The Dazzling Prince
<p>

I see a lot of characters and I enjoy most of them especially if done right but certain things about characters seem to bug me. I will start with the most annoying character in my books and that is....The childish, ''cute'' one. For some reason these characters completely annoy me. It seems like they are supposed to be likable but I almost never see the appeal. They cry when they are upset about something, seem to be friends with everyone,can make any character feel bad for them, etc. It bugs me. News flash! If you are a 'adorable' girl or boy in a horror RP...YOU..ARE..NOT..GOING TO BE SPARED!

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
If a cutesy character is in a horror work, chances are they aren't what they seem... which is exactly my favorite sort of character.

As for my least favorite, though? Hm... I'm not sure, actually. Every character type has its good points and its bad points, and most of the time if there's one I dislike I'll end up finding an exception or three, haha. I guess I'm not really fond of overly-cocky pretty-boys (I must be the only Haikyuu fan in existence that doesn't like Oikawa--) but then again, I like Twain from Bungou Stray Dogs, who's basically Oikawa except a sniper instead of a volleyball player so.... ???? Idk man

I'll agree with @ItsCursorBby I don't really have a least favorite character type - I got plenty of player types I don't like but no one character that I'm just ... nope I can't.

If I had to pick - maybe just unrealistic characters. Like the ten year old that is some how an assassin or the cutesy idiot that is also somehow the all knowing scholar of the group. Or really anyone where in order for their backstory to be believable you pretty much have to pretend there is no such thing as reality and everyone in that world is nutballs.

My least favorite character type is the "bad boy" who's actually just an abusive jerk, but is still the most popular, longed after boy in the world. Those drive me up the wall. I mean, they have their places I suppose, but I just dislike them. If played/written in a good way, I can handle it. I just disagree with the romanticization of things like that.

And ofc stereotypical characters are annoying.

nerdyfangirl said:
Or really anyone where in order for their backstory to be believable you pretty much have to pretend there is no such thing as reality and everyone in that world is nutballs.
My least favorite part of reading bios is when I come across one of these. Seems like it's in every roleplay.

My favorites are the cold and arrogant types... Because... Yeah.

And my least favorites have to be the extremely jumpy and happy character. They just annoy the hell out of me, and probably my character to be honest. In their personality itself it states things like 'likable' and 'innocent'. But to me their just a bunch of fake brats. Another character troupe I hate would be the "emo" types. If you're actually depressed, I get it, I went through that before. But when you're the 'omigod I hate my life because my parents don't love me despite my proper education, iPhone 6s and $100 pocket money. UGH' I just get really fed up. I mean, you do realize there are bigger issues than your mommy and daddy not giving you that new laptop right? Gosh.

ItsCursorBby said:
If a cutesy character is in a horror work, chances are they aren't what they seem... which is exactly my favorite sort of character.
As for my least favorite, though? Hm... I'm not sure, actually. Every character type has its good points and its bad points, and most of the time if there's one I dislike I'll end up finding an exception or three, haha. I guess I'm not really fond of overly-cocky pretty-boys (I must be the only Haikyuu fan in existence that doesn't like Oikawa--) but then again, I like Twain from Bungou Stray Dogs, who's basically Oikawa except a sniper instead of a volleyball player so.... ???? Idk man
Yeah I like the more than meets the eye characters too but I have met so many characters that are just a cutesy ditsy crybabies and that was it. In some other RP a killer ghoul type creature that had once been human had somehow felt bad for a blonde cutesy character that had been crying and had let her go. I was kind of annoyed by that but ignored it...up until I noticed that was happening with every encounter.

nerdyfangirl said:
I'll agree with @ItsCursorBby I don't really have a least favorite character type - I got plenty of player types I don't like but no one character that I'm just ... nope I can't.
If I had to pick - maybe just unrealistic characters. Like the ten year old that is some how an assassin or the cutesy idiot that is also somehow the all knowing scholar of the group. Or really anyone where in order for their backstory to be believable you pretty much have to pretend there is no such thing as reality and everyone in that world is nutballs.
I can completely agree with you on that. I don't have a character I dislike completely either but something about cute characters make me shake my head.

Unrealistic characters are annoying to. Like how are you six and in college? A lot of time they aren't portrayed right either. Another thing that bugs me but that's a different discussion all together.

this is actually pretty thought provoking and i suddenly realise that there are so many different ways to play characters with unique personalities, and some ways are better than others.

i wouldn't say that childish/overly perky characters are annoying. in all honesty i actually really like them, but only if they're played well - i.e. actually childish, not just overly sensitive for the cuteness appeal. actually, the bane of my existence is the energetic, outgoing character types. you know... the characters who walk into a bar and feel the need to announce that 'what's up people, i'm new in town'.

the characters that don't show any emotional response whatsoever like a normal person would and that 'don't love anyone because of their dark, tragic past which must not be mentioned'

Oh boy...

I'll stick the point here and go straight for my arch-enemy in roleplay: the "arbitrary characters" as I call them. These are the characters that are something like "cold on the outside and warm and kind inside" with no clue as to when they will be which and why. It annoys the heck out of me because in in the end, it's meanigless.

The typical excuse is that "they're complex", but I can't cease to point out how many of these characters just don't have a clear line as to whether or not they'll be cold in a given situation. A lot of the times, it's like "oh, if they trust you then..." but that's not helpful at all, especially when considering the fact they're always "just somewhat trusting" or soemthing similar.

As far as I can see, arbitrary characters seem like a newcomer's mistake, at best. At worst, they are sheer laziness in writing a character or even worse, an excuse for metagaming your way through pretty much anything (these characters tend to just give 180 shifts at the time of most convince , by my experience).

There is a lot I have to say, but meh, it's not worth to it rant about it a whole lot in one place. Not yet anyways.

Chibii said:
My favorites are the cold and arrogant types... Because... Yeah.
And my least favorites have to be the extremely jumpy and happy character. They just annoy the hell out of me, and probably my character to be honest. In their personality itself it states things like 'likable' and 'innocent'. But to me their just a bunch of fake brats. Another character troupe I hate would be the "emo" types. If you're actually depressed, I get it, I went through that before. But when you're the 'omigod I hate my life because my parents don't love me despite my proper education, iPhone 6s and $100 pocket money. UGH' I just get really fed up. I mean, you do realize there are bigger issues than your mommy and daddy not giving you that new laptop right? Gosh.
lol i would have driven you up the wall in my beginning years. as pretty much happy and jumpy was the only two characteristics all my characters had. well that or social anxiety. but that's cuz all my characters were atrocious self-inserts. i like to think i've grown away from them.

although i'll have a soft-spot for what i call hyper active idiots. basically anyone whose personality is like they're on a perpetual sugar high.

just close to my heart. but i don't really play them as endearing so much as kind of annoying and idiotic.

lol the second one sounds like my little sister.

Which brings me to another point. Unrealistic relationships. Both platonic and romantic - although romance is where it usually heavily apparent.

Where a "relationship" is basically Character A ( usually the girl or feminine boy character ) obsessing over and being fawned on by Character B ( the boy or masculine female character )

Like what happened to be people having silly arguments about who takes out the trash. Or actually having conversations instead of just staring googly eyed at one another.

I dislike powerful characters who aren't side characters. Personally, I do have a powerful character that I use as a plot device, but that's about it. My main character is moderately powered. What I dislike are powerful characters who are main characters. With them around, unless you're as powerful as they are and the opponent is super-powered to boot, it's no longer fun to be involved in the fight because the powerful character can simply steamroll the battle. What character development is there for my character?

I do agree that these characters have a part to play in the roleplay. I just make sure my character isn't on the same team as them.

I'm fine with the cutesy types as long they're aren't being obnoxious. My favorite types to roleplay are OCs (normally OCs) who are either mistrusting or downright coldly indifferent to everyone save for a few close friends or family. I do try to force these characters into interaction though, but I'm working on my characters acting less friendly towards strangers. Sorry if roleplaying this character type annoys you.

Anyways, I hate characters who are completely flawless in terms in personality and somehow still be complete drama queens. I'm fine with sad backstories, but those who had a horrible background don't tend to recover completely (not immediately at least), even if they are happy and positive in the present. Unfortunately, every "perfect" character ALWAYS have a tragic backstory like having their parents murdered. (I'm pretty sure the killer wouldn't spare the child in real life.) Also, nobody is flawless. That's just plain unrealistic.

Ammokkx said:
Any character that is played badly.
That is pretty much exactly my thought. I think most kind of characters that are truly annoying are that way because the person behind them doesn't know how to portray the specific character type well.

Archie said:
Fandom characters in non-fandom RPs.
Well that honestly comes down to the character chosen and the roleplay being done, E.G a roleplay about vigilantes and one of thr vigilantes is obsessed with batman and runs around as such, fine by me. If it's in the wrong context it's stupid shit like "Is an assassin whose great great great great grandaddy was ezio" in a slice of life roleplay, all depends on how it is used.

Reznor said:
Well that honestly comes down to the character chosen and the roleplay being done, E.G a roleplay about vigilantes and one of thr vigilantes is obsessed with batman and runs around as such, fine by me. If it's in the wrong context it's stupid shit like "Is an assassin whose great great great great grandaddy was ezio" in a slice of life roleplay, all depends on how it is used.
Ezio is the most atrocious of all of them. Every time there's a big mass effect RP someone posts an assassin's creed pic and is like "this is Ezio Datore", who TOTALLY isnt Ezio Auditore.

Archie said:
Fandom characters in non-fandom RPs.
I admit to sticking fandom/canon characters into everything but unless their normal version fits the RP already I'll alter them to suit the scenario, and always get the owner's permission first. Nothin' wrong with putting my favorite characters in a random RP if the owner says it's okay. I'd use OCs if I had any degree of confidence in my ability to make them but since I don't I resort to canons.

Archie said:
Ezio is the most atrocious of all of them. Every time there's a big mass effect RP someone posts an assassin's creed pic and is like "this is Ezio Datore", who TOTALLY isnt Ezio Auditore.
Lmao, again it's all used in the context. I wouldn't use Ezio because he doesn't fit into other scenarios except his own in Assassins Creed. IT can work sometimes but it becomes pretty damn cliche and that's what makes it ineffective, for example recently I joined a roleplay where five saints bless five humans who have died before the year 2016 with remarkable powers to fight demons etcetera etcetera. I based my character off of a gladiator while someone else used a female version of Shuzio Heiwajima, This is acceptable for this roleplay since her character died from a bullet wound. Now if I used "Master Chief" it wouldn't work due to the time in which the events take place.

I don't really have any character types I dislike by themselves as I judge mainly on how they're executed but...

When poorly executed, I really don't like characters with way too tragic back stories. I have a story about one of those characters that I shared to a friend once.

I almost started a roleplay with someone with a really, really edgy character once...I dodged a bullet that day.

"Hey, wanna RP with me sometime?"

"I'll see if I can, but I'm awfully busy. Which character is your favorite?"

"Kiyoko-chan! She's a half-demon, half-angel in the Victorian times. She's sixteen and has raven black hair, emerald green eyes. At a young age, her parents died so she had to grow up with an adopted father. Both her dad and her brother would abuse her, so one day she ran away from home. But her brother found her and dragged Kiyoko home with a noose around her neck, then they both beat her. Oh, and she went to church once but the nuns and priests decided to punch her to death due to her unnaturally green eyes. They thought she was a demon because of it! She died, went to heaven, and turned into an angel...though she killed everyone because she hates religion. That's why she's half-demon!

Pretty cool, huh?"

I blinked twice. "...y-yeah. Too bad I'm busy, right?"

I THOUGHT SHE WAS ACTUALLY JOKING AT FIRST

NOPE

[QUOTE="Danchou Tsubomi]
I don't really have any character types I dislike by themselves as I judge mainly on how they're executed but...
When poorly executed, I really don't like characters with way too tragic back stories. I have a story about one of those characters that I shared to a friend once.

I almost started a roleplay with someone with a really, really edgy character once...I dodged a bullet that day.

"Hey, wanna RP with me sometime?"

"I'll see if I can, but I'm awfully busy. Which character is your favorite?"

"Kiyoko-chan! She's a half-demon, half-angel in the Victorian times. She's sixteen and has raven black hair, emerald green eyes. At a young age, her parents died so she had to grow up with an adopted father. Both her dad and her brother would abuse her, so one day she ran away from home. But her brother found her and dragged Kiyoko home with a noose around her neck, then they both beat her. Oh, and she went to church once but the nuns and priests decided to punch her to death due to her unnaturally green eyes. They thought she was a demon because of it! She died, went to heaven, and turned into an angel...though she killed everyone because she hates religion. That's why she's half-demon!

Pretty cool, huh?"

I blinked twice. "...y-yeah. Too bad I'm busy, right?"

I THOUGHT SHE WAS ACTUALLY JOKING AT FIRST

NOPE

Uhh.. No, this is a joke... What kind of a fucking nun beats an inno- And furthermore! If she has an adopted father now why the fuck is her father and brother whom are dead able to beat her???

[/QUOTE]

Reznor said:
Uhh.. No, this is a joke... What kind of a fucking nun beats an inno- And furthermore! If she has an adopted father now why the fuck is her father and brother whom are dead able to beat her???

Haha, I wish I was kidding.

I really do.

But I'm not joking. And she meant her adopted father and his son beat her.

Also, she shared stories of her OC in Writing Club and I just...the edge. The edginess.

And she wrote a hate poem on someone because they made a dark joke once.

[QUOTE="Danchou Tsubomi]

Haha, I wish I was kidding.

I really do.

But I'm not joking. And she meant her adopted father and his son beat her.

Also, she shared stories of her OC in Writing Club and I just...the edge. The edginess.

And she wrote a hate poem on someone because they made a dark joke once.

[/QUOTE]
An online writing club???

People who roleplay Kuudere, its not even the archetype, just people being halfway Tsundere and halfway absolute prick! Whoever i was RPing with, their character went from Kuudere to full Keemstar. I have yet to find someone who can RP Kuudere correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back