Other What's something you thought to be common knowledge...

I can't remember what it was, but I had a friend that didn't know something I'd learned when I was about five. Had no idea that caffeine was usually found in a lot of types of chocolate (excepting white, it seems).

I had a friend who also once asked what a mirror was in class. Everyone turned around to look at her. (But it seems she had moments where she even forgets her name, so I think it was just momentary confusion.)

The fact that muskets that could fire 13 balls in 2 seconds existed. Yet people insist that the founding fathers would ban modern day ar-15's. When the equivilent of a automatic sniper cannon existed. They almost made it the standard weapon of the army but it was a little too over budget.

Another one, coming from my line of work.
More than I could count I have had people ask me what "illustrator" or meant.
Never realized so many wouldn't understand that word. So I commonly have to use dumb terms like "I draw characters for people"
Sometimes I accidentally say "concepts" in my explanation and they're even more like
"B'WHAAAAAA?"

Another one, coming from my line of work.
More than I could count I have had people ask me what "illustrator" or meant.
Never realized so many wouldn't understand that word. So I commonly have to use dumb terms like "I draw characters for people"
Sometimes I accidentally say "concepts" in my explanation and they're even more like
"B'WHAAAAAA?"

Just say you're an artist. Works every time.

Just say you're an artist. Works every time.
Haha, that's usually what I say in conversation. But if I ever fill out an "occupation" thing I put illustrator (since no one takes "artist" seriously), and that's where people get confused.

I have another one.
A few days ago I was googling where Marilyn Manson was from for one of my friends because they were curious and I had no idea. Anyways, so while I am scrolling through the answers and links, I find the what other people ask and apparently there are people who think that Marilyn Manson is related to Charles Manson and I was all like?? I thought everyone knew that Marilyn Manson was a stage name he crated using Marilyn Monroe's first name and Charles Manson's last name.

Ohh, I knew that was his stage name, but didn't know it was intentionally from those two names.
Isn't Charles Manson that crazy guy who removed his ribs so he can pleasure himself..? lol I wonder why he chose that name and Manson's name... or if he ever had a reason.
I don't recall him ever making the most sense in general. -shrug-

Charles Manson is a famous, crazy cult leader that had gotten his followers to commit murders in order to instigate a race war decades back.

quick poll: Narwals? Real or made up (like unicorns)?
Because I know people in both camps. :P
And can we talk about how photoshopped every image of a narwal looks?

Last edited:
Haha People think that narwhals are fake..? I suppose I'm not surprised, considering someone once told me "everyone knows Hitler wasn't real" and that chunk of history "never happened" lol

Haha People think that narwhals are fake..? I suppose I'm not surprised, considering someone once told me "everyone knows Hitler wasn't real" and that chunk of history "never happened" lol
I just don't understand how people could think that Hitler was fake along with many events of WW2

I'm a veterinarian technician, I try not to assume what people know and don't know. However I thought it was common knowledge that everyone knows the term fecal or stool sample, radiographs are indeed X-rays and no, one cannot replace your dogs uterus years after being spayed. We don't keep body parts on ice.

Opening the carton of eggs to make sure none of them are broken.

Had someone ask why I do that. After I explained, they were like "Oh! That makes so much sense!"

A level up for this is to take the broken egg in the carton and replace it with a good egg from another carton with broken eggs. Someone else taught me this trick.

Not me, but my bro. Theres a person in his class who says a bunch of weird stuff, gonna paraphrase his reddit post here:
1: She said that we lived in Canada, not North America. And when my class told her that we did live in North America, she said "Yes! We live north of America!"

2: She thought Korean was just a language.

3: She said that Asia is a part of China.

4: She said that PEI is the biggest province in Canada

5: She said that Madagascar is bigger than Africa.

6: She thought that the whole world was North America.

7: She thought that the whole Canada-US border was split by a river.

8: When we asked her why she thought this, she said it was because when she was at Niagara falls, The Niagara River split the two countries apart.

9: She thought Newfoundland was floating and would float away some day.

10: She thought that Mexico was not a part of North America

Not me, but my bro. Theres a person in his class who says a bunch of weird stuff, gonna paraphrase his reddit post here:
1: She said that we lived in Canada, not North America. And when my class told her that we did live in North America, she said "Yes! We live north of America!"

8: When we asked her why she thought this, she said it was because when she was at Niagara falls, The Niagara River split the two countries apart.

Congratulations.
She won a cookie.

What in tarnation?

My roommate and I come from two very different homes and families. My mother raised my brother and I so that when we left, we were very responsible in almost everything we did when it came to our belongings and others. So... imagine my frustration when I am told that they do not know how to clean a kitchen, how to clean up cat separation or throw up, how over-stuffing the washer CAN end in a flooded bathroom, and how just because the bag of frozen onions is opened in the freezer... we don't need to waste a perfectly fine Glad container on them because they will NOT get freezer burn in the time it takes us to finish them off.

In the spirit of St Paddy's day (NOT St Patty's day [which is another 'thought that was common knowledge' thing]), I pinched a coworker for not wearing green today and she looked at me like I was crazy. When I explained why I had done it (you are not wearing green), she said "so if I don't wear red on Christmas you will pinch me?" No. It's a St Paddy's day thing. Haven't you heard of that before? Apparently she hadn't. Only person I have ever known to not know that one is supposed to don green clothes on St Patrick's day.

I feel like patty vs paddy is a more debatable topic (yes I do know the history of the name).
But I've actually met a lot of people who don't know about the tradition of getting pinched when you don't dress in green. I sometimes even forget about it too because NO ONE I know even celebrates...
: (

Users who are viewing this thread

Back