Experiences What's something you admire an RPer for?

I mean... the non-native speaker thing isn't so shocking! Because English is actually very easy to learn. Like, all the people that claim it's hard are just clueless monolinguals. Case in point:

View attachment 1047696

Just to show you what conjugation can also look like, lol.

English is actually one of the simplest languages ever, and most of us also start learning it very early on due to the cultural hegemony. Naturally, we are good at it! Especially when you consider the demographic that engages in roleplaying -- ie., people who are passionate about writing and feel confident enough to write in a foreign language.

That said, I admire people who can make me feel things with their writing! That's the most important part of roleplaying for me.
English is definitely easier to learn compared to a lot of languages. But it still requires time and effort to grasp, especially to write beautifully. In a way that makes you feel things as you said. I've seen a lot of non-native speakers seem a bit insecure about what they write.

So I guess it's not just how fluent they are in expressing themselves through the English language that makes me admire them, but also that they're willing to put themselves out there despite any insecurities or initial language barriers. In some countries, English isn't really taught or focused on from what I know, so some people learn on their own. You can say that I would admire anyone who learns another language to follow their passions in that sense.

I used to roleplay with an online friend who was from Spain. I was pretty surprised when she told me that because of how well she writes. And she said her school doesn't really teach English very well, so she pretty much studied English on her own by watching movies and reading/writing fanfiction. Now she's able to tutor her classmates in English.

Yeah, it might not be the most shocking thing ever, but I still admire people who do it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back