Advice/Help What would you like in a magic school rp?

bastion

just a little guy
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I've been thinking of running a magic school group rp, but before I start getting too far into figuring it out, I thought it would be good to see what people are looking for in this kind of rp.

My basic idea is:
  • The plot would mostly be player-crafted around the characters. Those would be a group rp focused on character interaction and relationship development.
  • Humans only. There are non-human magical beings but they have very alien thinking and societies, so they don't attend the school. The closest to being non-human would be those who have been blessed or cursed somewhere in their family line.
  • The school is fairly small. Possibly less than a hundred students total due to those with the skill to practice advance magic being rare. (More often, people with magic just learn from family or an apprenticeship to a working witch.)
  • Magic is public knowledge, although the school is isolated from anyone who does not practice magic.

Update: 4/14/2023

I am looking for general vibes / ideas for what people are interested in for rp event and plot stuff, as well as what they like for the magic to be like.

If you were joining a magic academy rp...
  • What kind of structure would you like to the magic? (Is it spells and wands, a need for components, something else?)
  • What kind of small events would you like to happen throughout the school year? (Things like school dances, exams, some pest causing problems for the students?)
  • Would you prefer there be a big overarching plot? If so, what would you like the overarching plot to be? (Things like a threat to the school or some other thing the students need to come together to deal with.)
  • What things would turn you away from joining a magic academy group?

Last edited:
I want to see a magic school RP that isn't a Hogwarts clone or a reskinned superhero academy. Instead of magic functioning the same as a superpower, I want to feel like there are rules, an internal logic, and a meaningful system behind it. Ideally, it would focus on "magic" from a culture that isn't commonly featured, but I understand that comes with a lot of research and runs the risk of being handled inappropriately by players.

Within the context of what you have so far, I think you should keep world building wherever it is your RP is set and define magic/any magic systems before continuing on. Heck, a world divorced from this one or a school set way back in the day could be really cool.

Lastly, I think it's always good to have events lined up despite this RP being player driven. It helps inject life into the plot of people get into a rut.

I agree with foxy the first thing you need to do is clearly define what magic means to you and how it functions in this world. As magic is a very broad category and not everyone is going to automatically know what your talking about or have the same frame of reference.

Next I find it’s best to plan a full school year of events (they don’t have to be elaborate or anything just like maybe what each class would look like or some shenanigans the students could get into).

The reasoning being that people tend to get stuck in a single scene if you don’t have set time skips planned in advanced.

Steve Jobs Steve Jobs and nerdy tangents nerdy tangents thanks for the input! I'm doing my best to put my thoughts into order.

In regards to the magic system:
I plan to go with a soft magic system (I think that's the term?) So guidelines, but not going as far as to write out rules for every aspect of it. I just don't have the brain for that type, plus I prefer magic to be less defined and a bit unpredictable.

The main way it'd be different from the big fandom magic school is using magic would be based on cost, but the cost isn't always logical. Spells taught in the school are basically magic programming scripts that have been figured out to ensure you get the same result every time for the same price (i.e. make a broom sweep the floor in exchange for being too weak to move your body until it's done.) New spells can be created by trial and error, and magic can be cast without a spell but the cost and outcome are unpredictable.

In regards to setting:
It will probably be Eurocentric simply because I'm white without enough knowledge of other cultures to get comfortable to base it in anything else, although I do plan to have it set in an alternate world. Probably pre-industrial as well, with magic influencing the culture and technology.

In regards to events:
I would love if you could give me a bit of insight into possible events. What kind of situations and big moments would you want to occur if you were taking part in such a group rp?

This is the part I would probably benefit the most from ideas, since I want to know what people in general would want for events.

Well discovering an ancient secret somewhere in the school is a solid classic. Depending on the vibe of the RP the outcome of the episode can be epic or humorous ^^ Having a party is another classic, especially in character interaction and relationship development driven RPs~

Thanks for the ideas! I've updated the original message to add some direction for what I'm looking for help with.

If you were joining a magic academy rp...
  • What kind of structure would you like to the magic? (Is it spells and wands, a need for components, something else?)
  • What kind of small events would you like to happen throughout the school year? (Things like school dances, exams, some pest causing problems for the students?)
  • Would you prefer there be a big overarching plot? If so, what would you like the overarching plot to be? (Things like a threat to the school or some other thing the students need to come together to deal with.)
  • What things would turn you away from joining a magic academy group?

Note, I played some academy/school rp but not a lot. The way many are just isn't my thing.

The biggest turn off for me is if the rp turn into a teen drama or I can feel it have mad potential for it. (Nothing against folks that like it. I'm just not here for that)

Many academy/school rp often have this problems were they don't provide enough for players to interact and band together on the long term other then for romance such as ball. So shipping (and the drama or melodrama associated) tend to happen and the players involved usually interact mainly between them.

Related is that groups form between players (often the one that know each others from other rps or are friends) and don't interact much or have incentive to. This is usually what make me get that "damn it, I'm not here to roleplay highschool again" reaction and consider investing less. And after that most rp die because at this point a significant part of players where doing their own thing in their corner and playing in their private servers rather then public like everyone else. Leaving the rest that didn't form such closed group to struggle rping without feeling like third wheel. (As I said, highschool experience™)

So I would highly recommend to have an overarching plot or multiple events that force players to interact with people other then those they familiarize with first or know more. Something that make everyone have to interact with nearly everyone else. And if a group do form then make sure they aren't isolating or driving other players from interacting with them away. In short, breaking the group apart from time to time by separating some or all its members and putting them with other players.

If your rp group is bigger than 7-14 then make sure all those small groups likely to form interact with each others or switch members.

• School system that don't imitate irl one completely or with just a coat of magic paint on it. Like chose a subject, work, get a degree on it or go to all those diff class then pass exams on them all. Like c'mon it's fantasy, invent something like the lesson for every student being to complete a quest each time or heck make it so grades don't exist and students are judged on the projects they give to the teacher or smth. You have the possibility to push the definition of what a school/academy is to the limit of our modern comprehension, why not use it ?
  • Lesson and homework, that are more interesting in themselves. I know it's impossible and would be tedious to describe every classroom scene. But just one each cycle or when being introduced to them would be welcomed. What I'm asking is a gleam at worldbuilding and what each subject is truly like. Like during a potion lesson the teacher introduce various plants and their effects, while dealing with the players behaviors and the homework is to make a potion with those plants. That give players worldbuilding, something to do, and the chance for some student/teacher interaction. Lessons scene are often skipped or shortened to a point that all the subjects become interchangeable or feel tacked on to the plot. Same for the teachers, and I find it a huge loss of potential. Like you don't even need to have regular class where students sit on a desk, students could be forced to collect the plants outside while the teacher walk behind and tell them about each of their properties. Or learn by experimentation, teacher tell everyone to get plants that look like so and so and then when everyone is reunited they talk about who got it right and who got a magical pest. Plenty of potential for interaction here.
  • Related, more about magical beast and weird magic flora. Like there is so much possibility for a class about monsters or how to cook with fairy powder. (Joke about illegal white substance not intended but accepted)
  • Different dorms and the school having it own style. One magic academy I love the heck of the concept and aesthetic is from the mobile game "Twisted Wonderland" each dorm is based on a Disney villain and have their own style and personality. I don't mean to say do harry potter again but having that personalization add to the whimsical atmosphere you absolutely want to have in a magic school.
  • CLUBS. Real one, that give opportunity to do normal stuff but also things unique to the setting. Like a magitech club or a riding pegasus one.
  • As for plot it really depend. If the group is small, the school/teachers having secrets and the establishment having a personality of it own (like it's alive) and acting weird. Like something happened a long time ago to a student and it was left unresolved kinda thing. If the group is larger then I think an outside threat that require everyone to work together is best. Like ruins being near the academy and two people coming back from it panicked and saying that something weird happened inside. And then strange things start to happen to every students. Like accidents, sleepwalking, strange dreams, creatures being attracted near the school ect The academy either chose to ignore it for reasons™ or is at a loss at what to do but it affect everyone. Heck you could even merge the two plot I gave, it would make for a banger campaign. You will notice that my ideas fall into the mystery genre, but if you wanted something more mundane. Then a rivalry between the school and another or simply normal life + magic really. But I prefer overarching plot tbh, I'm not that into slice of life if it's not cut by something else.

Arnalia Arnalia thank you for the insight! The ideas for how to deviate from a standard school system is especially inspiring and something I would have overlooked. I definitely think that doing non-traditional lessons would make class scenes really interesting!

I also didn't consider the possiblity of people forming their own groups within the group, despite having seen it happen plenty often. I think you're right that an overarching plot of any kind would help with that, along with using classes to force people to interact with those they don't normally interact with.

Hi, yes, hello, I know I'm dredging this up from the second page, but I Don't Care because an actually GOOD magic school rp itches at my brain with such an intensity that I am begging you on my hands and knees to ping me if/when you get it up and running.

To actually. Like. Answer the questions, though, for the love of all the stars in the sky, please don't segment the learning (like elemental classes separating out the characters for their course) it just makes it almost impossible to like. Do character things.

In a similar vein, an overarching plot would really be best for a smaller group in my opinion. Like. There's gotta be a reason for these guys to interact or you'll be dumped with characters who all actively seek out interaction (which, while an extremely necessary character-type in almost any rp, having only these guys can make it something a couple steps from monotonous.) The overarching plot doesn't even really have to be that big, honestly. Like it could be that there are weird noises coming out of the Ominous Lake In the Middle of the School that everyone says is Cursed and in messing with it, the students get something in common that they have to deal with somewhat together (like. I dunno they get cursed or something and need to figure out What the Heck to do Because Damn).

I'm gonna be honest, my schooling has been like. All over the place, so I'm not versed in "what happens in schools normally" all too much, but I do remember kids starting drama, so maybe something along that line? A band kid gets their instrument stolen and now the whole school is at each other's throats either trying to get it back, saying its not a big deal, or defending their honor? Something like that. Exams are a fun one, if just because tensions running high and people about to snap.

Gonna be honest, I don't have much opinion for magic structures (I, personally, am incredibly fond of spell circles cause ooooh, but it's not a make-or-break thing. Just a fun little bit) though I do suggest making it a solid system. Like, some form of "what magic can't do" hard rules, even if they aren't really that big of a deal.

The last like... 5 magic school rps I've been tempted to join have all needed realistic faceclaims, and just as Myself, I found that a little unsettling (granted, that is a "Me" thing, but information is information, I suppose). I don't like using realistic faceclaims, certainly don't like them required, and even if there is a preference, I'd probably squeak by with just a description. Requirements completely block me from doing that. Again, though, "me" thing.

On a more general note; heavily coded (in character) posts that I can't read. 1: I use mobile for most of my reading (not posting), so sometimes codes break so completely I can't actually figure out what's going on and then I forget to read it when I get to my computer and it's honestly just a mess for everyone. 2: I am So, So Blind. Well, not blind exactly, it's just that lots of visual input makes my brain hurt, so posts with text over background images I usually skip over to save myself the headache, if that makes sense.

For genre-specific stuff: gendered roles. If I walk into a magic academy interest check and see that, for example, the fire school can have like 3 dudes and 1 girl, and literally no option for enbies, I'm just gonna save myself and walk away.

I think that's it?

I think?

Eh, if you have any more thoughts or questions feel free to give me a ping. Please. I'm so bored and this looks so promising.

Hi, yes, hello, I know I'm dredging this up from the second page, but I Don't Care because an actually GOOD magic school rp itches at my brain with such an intensity that I am begging you on my hands and knees to ping me if/when you get it up and running.

To actually. Like. Answer the questions, though, for the love of all the stars in the sky, please don't segment the learning (like elemental classes separating out the characters for their course) it just makes it almost impossible to like. Do character things.

In a similar vein, an overarching plot would really be best for a smaller group in my opinion. Like. There's gotta be a reason for these guys to interact or you'll be dumped with characters who all actively seek out interaction (which, while an extremely necessary character-type in almost any rp, having only these guys can make it something a couple steps from monotonous.) The overarching plot doesn't even really have to be that big, honestly. Like it could be that there are weird noises coming out of the Ominous Lake In the Middle of the School that everyone says is Cursed and in messing with it, the students get something in common that they have to deal with somewhat together (like. I dunno they get cursed or something and need to figure out What the Heck to do Because Damn).

I'm gonna be honest, my schooling has been like. All over the place, so I'm not versed in "what happens in schools normally" all too much, but I do remember kids starting drama, so maybe something along that line? A band kid gets their instrument stolen and now the whole school is at each other's throats either trying to get it back, saying its not a big deal, or defending their honor? Something like that. Exams are a fun one, if just because tensions running high and people about to snap.

Gonna be honest, I don't have much opinion for magic structures (I, personally, am incredibly fond of spell circles cause ooooh, but it's not a make-or-break thing. Just a fun little bit) though I do suggest making it a solid system. Like, some form of "what magic can't do" hard rules, even if they aren't really that big of a deal.

The last like... 5 magic school rps I've been tempted to join have all needed realistic faceclaims, and just as Myself, I found that a little unsettling (granted, that is a "Me" thing, but information is information, I suppose). I don't like using realistic faceclaims, certainly don't like them required, and even if there is a preference, I'd probably squeak by with just a description. Requirements completely block me from doing that. Again, though, "me" thing.

On a more general note; heavily coded (in character) posts that I can't read. 1: I use mobile for most of my reading (not posting), so sometimes codes break so completely I can't actually figure out what's going on and then I forget to read it when I get to my computer and it's honestly just a mess for everyone. 2: I am So, So Blind. Well, not blind exactly, it's just that lots of visual input makes my brain hurt, so posts with text over background images I usually skip over to save myself the headache, if that makes sense.

For genre-specific stuff: gendered roles. If I walk into a magic academy interest check and see that, for example, the fire school can have like 3 dudes and 1 girl, and literally no option for enbies, I'm just gonna save myself and walk away.

I think that's it?

I think?

Eh, if you have any more thoughts or questions feel free to give me a ping. Please. I'm so bored and this looks so promising.
Thank you for the input! I've had to put this on the backburner due to stuff coming up but I still want to make this happen eventually so I'll definitely give you a ping when that happens.

I personally dislike dividing students in any way that creates different groups so I would definitely avoid it for the classes. I'm picturing this being a very small school as is so there's even more reason for the players to be in the same classes even if they're not the same age or such.

I'm also thinking I'll go for non-traditional class structure (at least by Us American standards) to lean into this being a place to study magic and also make the classes more interesting for roleplay. Hopefully that will also allow me to make classes away to force group interaction.

(Also, I wholeheartedly agree to preferring descriptions over face claims and hating gender counts.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back