Experiences What was the most obvious case of someone not reading your post?

Insanitation

It happens, people skim posts if they're in a hurry. I've done it, I admit. I'm not talking something like "Mention pretzels so I know you read all this" and them not mentioning the pretzels. Try not to get specific, not trying to call anyone out here.

For me, mine happened on a different site but I was looking for the ideal hero archetype. Like probably 70% of my post was describing this beacon of hope with godlike abilities & always saves the day, how they should be assertive but not scary, always try to do the right thing BECAUSE it's the right thing, used guys like Superman and All Might as examples. The general plot was requesting knockoff Superman to guide a troubled superhuman and steer them away from villainy (by demonstrating mercy and compassion, not pounding them feet first into the dirt like a nail) before it's too late. I think they stopped reading at "godlike abilities" because I got a message with an actual demon character darker than mine. For reference, mine was a genetically modified living weapon whose only prior human contact was being experimented on, and they destroyed the lab that created them the second their security measures failed. The edge-o-meter was already reading somewhere between a Papa Roach CD and Shadow the Hedgehog with just mine in the mix.

So demon guy was kinda cool & I'd probably dig him for other stuff... but that's kind of the opposite of what I asked for. My character needed a good influence, not looking for them to commit crimes against humanity together and have a laugh about it over a pizza. That could also be a fun story, but not the one I wanted.

So, how about you guys? What was your most obvious case of "You didn't read all that, did you?"

Usually when I say “prefer platonic will do slow burn with limits”

I either get a request for love at first sight insta lust OR someone being like I’m sorry I don’t do platonic roleplays.

Its like .. does it need to be color coded or something? Cuz I thought I was pretty clear on what the requirements were.

I've had a partner once talk about a room and disregard every detail I previously described about it. I was like bruh...
They said it was a mess and bloody and described it looking like a tornado ran through it but I had previously described it as looking just dusty and desolate. I asked them about it and they just basically said whoops. But like it was our whole setting 😂 they didn't read any of post if they missed the whole setting

I said; my character brushed her tentacle across a guy's cheek. He responded with six paragraphs of erotic material, including sucking on her aquatic feelers. The brush was explained because she was wiping dirt off his face, a tribute to how he didn't judge her for having a monstrous exterior and wiped the grime from the road off a few rps earlier. I was flabbergasted to say the very least. Lol

Our characters were in the middle of a fight against the antagonist which I also happened to be playing alongside my other character. The antagonist had just attacked my other character in my last post when my partner's, their character was right in the heart of battle last time I checked, following post completely destroyed previous posts. Rather than continue from the battle, they made it the next day with their character walking downstairs of some inn with no mention of the antagonist, the battle, or the fact my other character was injured severely. Their character got a cup of coffee, sat at a table, and waited for breakfast to be served.

they made it the next day with their character walking downstairs of some inn with no mention of the antagonist, the battle, or the fact my other character was injured severely. Their character got a cup of coffee, sat at a table, and waited for breakfast to be served.
"I could... ugh... really use a doctor right now."
"Gimme a minute, I just ordered some hash browns."

Don't have any specific examples, but every so often I will get people coming to me for m/f romance when I make it very clear in my search thread that I don't write that.

"I could... ugh... really use a doctor right now."
"Gimme a minute, I just ordered some hash browns."
Haha. I thought maybe somehow this could be fixed but they made their character stay waiting inside for breakfast. My character ended up bleeding out with the antagonist going to the inn for breakfast as well because at this point everything was ending fast. I thought this might bring some sort of reaction from their character. The only thing their character did was eat and have inner thoughts about how the antagonist looked familiar.

Happens all the time, I assume it's something with "too bored to read everything" when it comes to my posts in specific.

Someone actually admitted it. They told me, “I skimmed your post.”

In their defense, my post was far too long and detailed. 😂

That time I got a very angry PM from the GM for not having posted anything in two weeks.

I had posted three times during that period.

Had someone once completely ignore half of my post and had their character doing something that specifically contradicted everything I'd established in the second half of my post. Asked if they'd had a weird glitch and couldn't see the other half and that they could have told me (because where I assumed it might have somehow got caught off based on their response pretty clearly would have made it seem unfinished). They told me "oh I didn't read the rest because I had a really good idea half way into your post and I wanted to just go with it."
...what.
Safe to say I didn't keep that one going.

I never skim posts, in fact, I read them twice or more times to enjoy them haha. Granted, I don't write more than two or three paragraphs and nor do my partners. But... I do remember someone skimming my posts or just ignoring details of what I'd written but I don't remember any specifics. Sometimes the details just fly over your head, though. I've written posts that, even after reading the answers two or three times, I've had to edit because I'd forgot something when I was re-reading after posting.

Someone actually admitted it. They told me, “I skimmed your post.”

In their defense, my post was far too long and detailed. 😂

Yea, this is why I really try to limit RP posts around the 600-700 word range. However, I have gone over that with the right partner.

This happened in a discord based roleplay that I ran a few years ago. I was introducing the story's primary villain, described in detail in the post about how everyone's swords were flung into the ceiling and their NPC companion being choked in front of them. One person clearly didn't read anything in the post because while all this was happening, one of the participants was sitting off in the corner polishing their blade asking the npc companion what was going to be for lunch.

This happened in a discord based roleplay that I ran a few years ago. I was introducing the story's primary villain, described in detail in the post about how everyone's swords were flung into the ceiling and their NPC companion being choked in front of them. One person clearly didn't read anything in the post because while all this was happening, one of the participants was sitting off in the corner polishing their blade asking the npc companion what was going to be for lunch.
Clearly that one just wanted to chill.

It was a vampire RP with more "traditional" vampires, as in, they burn in the sunlight.

Person straight-up ignored that my post was set at night since, you know...vampires...and described a sunny day instead in their post meeting my vampire. Like...bruh...

I hope it’s okay to revive an old topic. I had some fun experiences that I wanted to share.

in the RP I was a part of 15 or so years back, we had one particular player who wanted their character to be the Center of every scene. The group I with were really tolerant and tried to show this player how to be a better RPer. Thankfully, I think this player genuinely really wanted to learn, so he didn’t freak out when we pointed out his errors.

I recall in one particular scene, my character and another players character had gone off from the main group to discuss something private. It was a master servant kinda thing, and the servant was being reprimanded for failing to complete an important task. The master had wanted to do it privately to not show him up in front of the other characters.

so, we’re well into this scene. There’s crying and anger and all that dark, fun stuff and then this problem players character jumps into the scene and he posts something like. “Blade stands across the room and watches the servant being punished".

he clearly hadn’t bothered to read the several posts written before stating that the conversation was private!

I responded by having my character respond to problem players character as though he’d been caught sneaking in on them to watch.

it was a strategy that worked. Player was careful to pay attention, and the RP was better for it. It made the whole thing a bit jarring to read, as there were some plot holes as to exactly how said character had managed to enter a private room, but we allowed it for the greater good.

Last edited:
after years and years of writing, the worst sign of a person skipping over a thread and its details is when the partner in question can't actually match my quality and/or length of posts, even after claiming they could. i'm not sure why, but inexperienced writers who cannot match an advanced skill level seem to think they can just sneak their way along and not get noticed when their posts come out to three-to-four lines per, or when they clearly can't carry the story with the lack of detail they provide me.

it takes two to tango, and when you're stumbling around the dance floor basically forcing your partner to drag you with them, it is NOT fun and kills interest completely in a story. i will go through an entire planning session, get to posting in-character, and then become furious when i find out they lied to me blatantly about their actual skill level, shitting out three-liners like we had agreed that was the status quo. it's an absolute fucking mess.

luckily, i don't encounter these people much anymore, as i'm very particular and careful about partners nowadays. it certainly was a shit-show the times it happened though.

Easy. They misgendered my female she/her character and got mad when I popped by and told ‘em “psst hey g Sprite’s a she btw”. Sprite’s character profile was right fucking there. She was referred to as a ‘she’ by her friend Randle and in the narrative the whole damn time.

Ayy, sure, sure, she’s a bit buff and got a boy-cut, but all the art has plenty of booba and curves to show and not a sentence about her goes by where that bloody idiot isn’t referred to as she/her.

Reading is a craft, man.

They. don't. read. the. details. I mentioned in the roleplay a side character of mine was killed only for a partner to not read that part but go on to have their character have a conversation with the deceased. Or, important dialogue goes unanswered in many posts.

It's something that still goes on to this day and an automatic quit from me. I'm not writing posts for them not to be read completely.

This dont count as "reading a post" but rather a character sheet. I had a friend in high school and we were playing a big ensamble cast adventure RP. He spent weeks of work building up to a romance arc from a teenage main protagonist with a female character of mine, until finally asking her out.

"Dude you know shes like 50 years old, married, and has a kid whos another member of the cast who's older than the dude asking her out?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back