Experiences What was the most obvious case of someone not reading your post?

I would say it happened yesterday. Got a post asking if the RP was still open.

Me: Yep.
Them: Can we start?
Me: Need to make a character first...
Them: Name of character (I assume it wasn't an original character, but one from a fandom that I never heard of. The RP was for OCs.)
Me: Did you read the first post in Interest Check?
Them: What is that?

Now at this point I am ready to facepalm. But I kept my patience and explained where to look for the full RP description - which has the link to the CS thread and blank CS. Now I am not picky about format. Some folks can't handle BB code. But I do mention that the blank CS has the minimum info I am looking for. What I get is a skeletal CS with a series of one line of one word responses.

I suspect I was dealing with a kid.

The two most obvious ones are:

When a group is really big into making like pre-rp relations and... when there is someone who doesn't really think about what they are saying but say it anyways.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen people message me to talk about character relations and they clearly haven't read mine, or almost anyone's, sheet. The suggestions are super vague or just flat out not there as they wait for you to come up with something. The second one has happened to me... I wanna say four or five times over my life of writing roleplays? Someone doesn't read your post, sees that it's long and then goes in the OOC, or the discord, to make a joke about how it's TL,DR. I never understood what they thought to gain from that. Like it doesn't tell people you're too cool for school, it just tells people that you're too lazy to read anything they write either so better not count on it and if they dare to put in the work, someone is going to think they're dumb for doing so. Also without fail, the people who make those jokes then backpaddle so hard I'm worried they're going to trip when I say something about it. Never made much sense.

Even then though, I freely admit to sometimes not reading every post. If there are like eight people in a roleplay, and I'm only interacting with one of them at the time, I may not read the other post till way later because I got crap to do [But I do tend to make the time to read every post when there is some downtime or if I find a writer I particularly enjoy].

That said, yeah, always read the post of the person you are directly interacting with. Like... That's just common sense.

I said; my character brushed her tentacle across a guy's cheek. He responded with six paragraphs of erotic material, including sucking on her aquatic feelers. The brush was explained because she was wiping dirt off his face, a tribute to how he didn't judge her for having a monstrous exterior and wiped the grime from the road off a few rps earlier. I was flabbergasted to say the very least. Lol
someone watches Hentai- gosh sorry to hear that.

Uhhhhhh, okay-
didn’t happen on this site but-
My character (an android) was straight up dead and the other characters were like “he’s still alive! we need to get him back to base!” and they did this like two or three times after I said that he was dead, I eventually just posted a message from my other character saying “bro stop, he’s dead”
They also misread my character having a panic attack in a different rp of ours, like completely skipping over it and going to a different event (they were time travelers)

made a murder mystery RP, specifically requested no child characters to be made considering the dark themes.

two people make child characters. TWO. And I can't tell them not to because they fully introduced and roleplayed their characters interacting with the others while I was asleep. Another person made an edgy serial killer oc but I didn't really say anything against making characters like that.

Massive tw before I begin: Cp and forced 'you-know what'

I should state it didn't happen here but on another website. The roleplaying website was 13+, but it some people were very much 18+. I was 14 at the time. I get a dm from a dude. Felt excited as someone wanted to talk to me. Requested me to play a toddler. Wasn't concerned and thought nothing of it. Big mistake.

He introduced himself as a babysitter and me as a toddler. I said the parents and things quickly went south. I will not go into detail as it would get me banned for sure and on some watchlist.

He did unspeakable things and I polietly posted and asked him not to do it and to please stop as it was very upsetting to me.

DIDN'T LISTEN WHATSOEVER AND CONTINUED. I guess this is why rules were made, but I wish people were decent enough to not 'hurt children'. I felt silent as I couldn't do anything but block him, but the damage was already done.

Last edited:
One too many times. ONE TOO MANY TIMES.

I mean it's alright if someone asks what's happening. At least they're trying to get their ground. But most of the goddamn time is people ignoring key details and stuff and refusing to edit posts because they think they're right

"Uh... you're in Area 1. This thing is in Area 2."

"Yeah, whatever. I don't care."

It wasn't so much a post but rather a request through casual conversation. Since I'm greysexual, I asked my writing partner at the time that anything in reference to sexual content to be not included, even in description or flirty comments -- it makes me feel uncomfortable and I was honest about it. They went ahead and responded that it was just a form of insecurity and I should find help for it. On a later date they did apologize to me for the rude comment, but then several weeks later included a rather descriptive piece of wanting to sleep with a character in one of their posts. Yikes.

For D&D, I used to hide a phrase when looking for players to make sure they've read everything. "Include 'Fuzzy Pickles' hidden anywhere in your application." Anyone who didn't have it, I immediately skipped.

The two most obvious ones are:

When a group is really big into making like pre-rp relations and... when there is someone who doesn't really think about what they are saying but say it anyways.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen people message me to talk about character relations and they clearly haven't read mine, or almost anyone's, sheet. The suggestions are super vague or just flat out not there as they wait for you to come up with something. The second one has happened to me... I wanna say four or five times over my life of writing roleplays? Someone doesn't read your post, sees that it's long and then goes in the OOC, or the discord, to make a joke about how it's TL,DR. I never understood what they thought to gain from that. Like it doesn't tell people you're too cool for school, it just tells people that you're too lazy to read anything they write either so better not count on it and if they dare to put in the work, someone is going to think they're dumb for doing so. Also without fail, the people who make those jokes then backpaddle so hard I'm worried they're going to trip when I say something about it. Never made much sense.

Even then though, I freely admit to sometimes not reading every post. If there are like eight people in a roleplay, and I'm only interacting with one of them at the time, I may not read the other post till way later because I got crap to do [But I do tend to make the time to read every post when there is some downtime or if I find a writer I particularly enjoy].

That said, yeah, always read the post of the person you are directly interacting with. Like... That's just common sense.
I felt this so often. In regards to reading, there are times I'll admit too, I don't fully read everything on the first go. But when I go to write a response, I go down each paragraph to include a reaction if it was fit for my character before expanding on the scene. The TL; DR thing, joking or not, is a bit rude for roleplay for me personally because it's like okay it's writing and some people want to get a story out and it's how they express it. Unless it's a closer friend, I don't think I would joke about someone's length of writing because I feel like I would be asking for how someone writes before I apply for their roleplay or engage with them. Perhaps that's just me though.

Common sense is lost these days. Expect it as a rarity instead. I'm impressed you've held patience for this long with that, but I'm sorry you had to experience that. That's just frustrating and I'm sure a lot of us have been there at some point.

In fairness my memory is absolute crap and I usually have multiple days between response and reply. So if someone is like “uh yo what were we talking about again?” I don’t mind sending the tl:dr version. Cuz fair enough I might need a recap sometimes too.

But yeah I did get someone who was just randomly messages me. At first it took them awhile to work out how to use tabs (which okay they’re new I can accommodate that).

But it was very obvious I was gonna be doing all the heavy lifting in setting things up. Then they were like “oh btw my parents don’t want me reading the books/watching the movies because they think they’re inappropriate.” Im like — then why the heck are you asking to roleplay the series?

Not only do you not know what’s going on but your parents don’t want you dealing with the series. I was like “um yeah I don’t think we’re compatible good luck”. Cuz really what else can I say? Im not your fun aunt who is gonna let you do stuff behind your parents back my friend.

This is more of a case of not reading the interest check but-
When I tell people that I’m looking for something low stress, and that I’m only semi-active, but their standard is for me to post every day- if not every hour????
It hasn’t happened recently, but it’s incredibly difficult when it does happen.

I've been having this case of a GM apparently only reading the latest IC entry and responds only to that while ignoring any previous entries that might be there before the one they responded to. A f-ing GM, people, not just a player. It's been so chronic that I constantly have to remind them of those previous stuffs with a "Please reply to this/these too" as a little OOC note. No wonder there were a darn lot of misunderstandings between us. 😔

Has "Victorian" in the title. Someone straight up applied with a goddamn medieval knight lmao.
I was doing a roleplay centred around the Mediterranean in the 3rd century BC. It somehow led to Bernard Montgomery's Eighth Army attacking Carthage. I was so exasperated I had to turn off my computer and lie down.

Lol I had something like that. The title is “gilded age” and I straight up made a note that said (check tabs for plots).

And someone sends me a message for some kind of Tolkien style high fantasy roleplay. Like I literally wrote the specific time periods down.

Like I don’t mind if you want to pitch your own idea but at least try to pay attention to the setting. Otherwise it seems like your just spamming the interest check with random requests.

Ok, disclaimer, this one is my fault. I'm the one who didn't read the post.

Some context: it had been like three days since I last responded and I gave no explanation because I had to take my cat to the vet and then had to babysit them to make sure they weren't eating fucking electrical(!!!!!!!!!!!!) wires. I felt really bad about not being able to post, so much so that I completely bullshitted my response because "I was in a hurry."

It wasn't actually that severe, I basically just asked the person the same question twice because I didn't read it. I apologized profusely after, and redid it properly. The RP died about a week later and I got ghosted. Fun times.

Lol, I don’t really have a story of mine to share that I can remember, BUT one of my RP buddies in middle school joined this group RP where, no matter what she posted, she got ignored by almost everybody. 😭 It was one of those groups where everyone’s characters romantically paired up and didn’t care about anything else going on with the other characters; and because she didn’t want to have her guy shipped with anyone, she got left out.

Most people would have quit, and rightfully so, but she just made it part of the story.

It. Was. Hilarious.

Since nobody seemed to be reading her posts, they didn’t respond to her character. Her guy would be in the corner sobbing happily when two characters shared a meaningful kiss or he’d try to give relationship advice and get mad when nobody would take it. My favorite was whenever there was some dramatic fighting scene between a couple filled with screaming and tears, he would just burst into the scene and start screaming along with them.

The whole roleplay was a soap opera with this one guy who would just randomly join in on the drama at the most random times and wonder why no one could hear him. It made the whole thing look like an SNL skit or something 🤣

Last edited:
I think the most apparent version I had of this was that my character was in the middle of a fight and theirs were pretty much taken by a cannon. For some reason, in my partners post, they were twirling their hair. And I understand that it probably came from the previous post that I had of them fidgeting but it’s so out of place and really de-synchronizes the narrative. I guess my character just suddenly time travelled 10 minutes back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back