Music What song are you listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude riodragon riodragon you're out for my heart. I love YES and Stevie Nicks. Lol what if they did a collab. Do you like the song Rihannon?

Last edited:
Those who have been lurking this thread may notice a massive clean up. The thread went from being a discussion about what songs member's were listening to, to just flooding the thread with videos and song names without anything else.

So, to be clear, do not post only videos or the song, you need to discuss them, leave a comment with what song you want to share that you are listening to.

Now then, I am currently listening to a cover;

I actually highly prefer this over the original, though the original isn't bad, but it's the only song by Post Malone I actually like. The tone of this cover I think does the original great justice.

Yes - 'Heart of the Sunrise'

I love this entire album, Fragile. It has this unmistakable groove that was only really a huge thing in 70's progressive rock and later jazz-fusion acts like The Mars Volta that I really jive with. King Crimson has a lot of that style and sound as well, coming from around the same time, and it can occasionally be heard in Tool and Porcupine Tree's stuff as well. The percussions, guitar work, and keyboarding in 'Heart of the Sunrise' in particular work so well together IMHO, and lyrically it continues themes from the earlier tracks 'Roundabout' and 'Long Distance Runaround' alluding to long travels and the strains of distant relationships that I feel kinda come to a head within this track where it sounds like the singer is on the verge of breaking down emotionally from losing his way.

At least that's my interpretations and I'm sticking to it.

ICONIC. ICONIC. Silvana Silvana Please do not flood the thread with just the songs, it was mentioned earlier already.

Matthew Good Band - 'The Rat Who Would Be King'

Another one I'd highly suggest the whole album for. Funny story, I know very few people who know this band or the lead artist, and I was introduced to his work in a weirdly nostalgic way; an AMV of the anime Naruto using the song 'Weapon' from his solo debut album following this one, Avalanche , which also in turn introduced me to Naruto which was simultaneously awesome and disappointing to me as far as anime go.

Nostalgic tangent aside, the album this song is from, The Audio Of Being , was the last album by Matthew Good Band before they split up and the eponymous Matthew Good went solo. The album was reportedly very hard to make. Matthew was diagnosed with lesions in his lungs and a nodule had to be removed from his vocal cord, leaving him voiceless and recovering throughout a good portion of the songwriting process. Couple this with Mr. Good's knack for writing lyrics that resonate strongly with feelings of frustration and bi-polar depression, and I feel this actually came out as one of the strongest albums they ever produced, possibly better than the preceeding album Beautiful Midnight , which I'd also recommend and had a lighter, more mainstream rock vibe than the introspective emotional rollercoaster that is The Audio of Being .

'The Rat Who Would Be King' at nearly 7 minutes long, isn't even the longest track on the album, but I'd say it feels like the most dynamic in terms of the highs and lows, the guitar groove that carries it through till the messy end that instrumentally illustrates the frustrations that the lyrics are also portraying about feeling helpless in expressing yourself to someone who's completely unreceptive of your feelings.

Caravan Palace - 'Wonderland'

Caravan Palace is a French Electro-Swing band, fusing the elements of old-timey Swing Jazz with the technical methods and beat mixing of House Music, Hip hop, and EDM. I've always been a sucker for old swing jazz and lounge music from the 30's and 40's (it's probably a big reason that I cling so tightly to the Fallout series, as they've used such music from the very first game). I've also ADORED certain House artists like Daft Punk and Deadmau5, so the mix is very palatable to me.

R Rock And Roll Boy
Those who have been lurking this thread may notice a massive clean up. The thread went from being a discussion about what songs member's were listening to, to just flooding the thread with videos and song names without anything else.

So, to be clear, do not post only videos or the song, you need to discuss them, leave a comment with what song you want to share that you are listening to.

At the Drive-In - 'Pattern Against User'

At The Drive-In is a Post-Hardcore Art Punk band formed by Cedric Bixler-Zivala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez before they would form the Progressive Rock Jazz Fusion experiment that was The Mars Volta (another personal favorite band of mine). A lot of what would make The Mars Volta so unique was also found here, time signature changes all over the place, the nasal crazy-sounding vocals reciting lyrics that are more than scatterbrained enough to match the tone while the instruments also support it with their crazy mixes, each instrumentalist is kinda doing their own thing but they blend around the singer's insane ramblings so well that it's hard to hate the passion and skill on display, even if it takes multiple listens to get the point of the song. Much like The Mars Volta's work in general.

I am currently listen to Stranger Things by Kygo and One Republic that was recently mixed by Alan Walker. I enjoy it very much since it's a really good remix of the original.

Replaying a cover of Troye Sivan's song 'Fools' that was done by Alice Kristianse over and over rn.
Her voice is drop-dead gorgeous - would definitely recommend giving it a
listen if you have the time.

I really love this song, it's very poetic in its deliverance, the beat and flow makes it very easy to play in the background while I do other work, and Slick Rick's verse is wonderful (and offers a bit of insightful social commentary on the Iraq war, if you're into dissecting music like that).

Genesis - 'Down and Out'

This is probably one of my favorite songs by Genesis and definitely my favorite song with Phil Collins as the vocalist, and this happens to be the one where he took over after Peter Gabriel left the band. Ifeel like it's pretty evident by the lyrics, which seem laser focused on Peter Gabriel leaving. It's got this aggressive edge to it, like a direct confrontation. 'There's people out there who can take your place. / A More commercial view / A fresher face' is one of the first lines in the song, and it's about how everyone is replaceable. If you turn around and leave, don't blame them if they have someone waiting in the wings to take over your role, and if you had nothing better waiting for you after leaving, then maybe it wasn't a good idea to try and move on? 'I walk a straight line, / right between the eyes, / well, show me the door, / show me someone who'll do it better!' Could either be Phil Collins acknowledging that he is easily replaceable as well and would abdicate his position if they found one, or be a cheeky challenge. :P

This is my interpretation, anyways. I actually quite like Peter Gabriel's Solo works too.

This song is probably one of my favorite songs, it is such a feel-good song.
It's one of those slow lofi songs but not one where its like "depression vibes".

Foster The People - 'The Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon'

Foster the People's album Supermodel I feel is very strong, and I already liked pretty much every track in their previous album, Torches! With this album, the topic was set squarely on celebrity status and glamor but more specifically on the internal reasonings and personal inadequacies that could drive people to seek out excess, attention, and fame. I feel like 'The Beginner's Guide to Destroying the Moon' is one of the harshest tracks on the album in terms of tone, verging on being almost a sort of punk rock anthem against corrupt politicians and religious leaders. It serves as sort of the climax of what is essentially a concept album against pop culture idolization.

Mostly because one of my characters is more or less in a situation where she could start singing this (as a duet with the person she loves) were it a musical. Also , I just really love Paramore , and that’s one of my favorite songs by them.

I'm currently listening to "Strawberries & Cigarettes" by Troye Sivan. It is definitely one of my most favorite songs right now. Not only do I love Troye and his music very much, but the song was in Love, Simon! The song is absolutely beautiful and is a nice, calm, and catchy song. I definitely reccomend it if you haven't heard it.

TheFool TheFool

Phoenix - 'If I Ever Feel Better'

I think I first ran into this band, Phoenix, in college when I was making Pandora radio stations based on artists I liked to listen to while I worked on projects. I believe they were on my Pandora station dedicated to Daft Punk and similar material. Enjoyed it but didn't think twice or look into them. Years later I looked more into them, got into more of their music, and found out that one of Phoenix's voaclists was another member of Darlin', a short-lived pre-Daft Punk trio comprised of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (of Daft Punk) and Laurent Brancowitz (of Phoenix). Darlin' was also the band Daft Punk reportedly got their name from when an outspoken critic called them 'nothing but a bunch of daft punks'. Suffice it to say I love both Daft Punk and Phoenix a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back