Other What makes a good GM?

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom
I like writing.

So do you, probably. But therein lies my problem - when I come to creating an RP, my inspiration normally takes the form of your bog standard novel/film/whatever. Great - it might be a great world, even perhaps a great story! But I forget - I forget that there's this game bit to it too. I forget that the person who both creates and sustains this collaborative story fun has an almighty responsibility complete with its own nuances and roles that need to be carefully handled in order to make a good RP. RPing is very much its own format apart from the standard narrative, and the GM is a big part of what makes it different.

I reckon there's a lot of RPs out there that are great in theory but are haphazardly managed and then, tragically, die young. So let's talk about it, share advice and experiences! What makes a good GM? What should a GM do to ensure a roleplay runs well and their fellow writers remain satisfied? What's worked well and not so well in your past experiences of both running and participating in RPs? I'm asking for discussion based solely around non-dice RP, not because I have some kind of bizarre anti-dice prejudice but simply because I'm aware in many ways the GMing of dice-based RPs tends to take on a different form - though of course feel free to use lessons learnt in this area to contribute to discussion! Thanks guys!

One word can make or break a GM: Execution. It also requires a good amount of tact and patience as well as a modicum of refinement for the role in my opinion.

Patience. I think it's one of the most important virtues of a good GM. You need to have patience.

I think to be a good gm you need to know how to adapt your plans of the story. Dont leave out good idea just because you already planned the plot in your mind, take good bits here and there to add into the rp. Obviously its also important to keep the structure of the story in check so changes like "I think this should take 3 days instead of 1" dont progress into "I think what this realistic political rp really needs are dinosaurs".

Adaptation: You're RPing with a group. Your ideas will probably never be executed to the same extent as you want it. You must be willing to adapt to whatever happens. You have to allow slight deviation from the central plot of the RP

Rigid.....: You have set your rules. Make sure you follow them. Not only the rules, but the logic. This especially applies to magic. All it takes is 1 person to make a strong magic for others to make a stronger magic character. You can go from basic magic that's nothing without a weapon to getting god-level magic almost instantly. The GM has to stamp out any source of metagaming and other common problems

.........but not too rigid: If your rules restrict freedom to the point where players feel pulled along in the story instead of contributing to it, it's doomed to fail

Lots of others, but I feel that these are the most important and the most contingent on the GM

I can't give long detailed explanations like these other people but.

Roleplaying is a book,
and as a book there are multiple authors involved.
As authors your job is to create the story, mesh and develop the world you live in.
Become involved in your creation and let it grow to fruition.

dedication

i'm one of those people that spend a lot of time planning [because it's fun]

but then, when i make the RP, it's "oh man i actually gotta respond to a lot of this stuff"

then i quit like a fuckn loser

so now i just plan RPs and don't do them, out of courtesy

You gotta be bold and harsh on those who break the rules.
If someone breaks a rule, you tell them straight away and warn them.
No baba goo goo schtick, you just do it.

Authority.

Of course, I say that all the time about everything. I'd say standards and accountability after that. If I see some really good thread being managed by some jackass who can't say 'no' to a character sheet and can't stick to his guns, I'm not gonna be interested.

I've GMed various RPs for about a year and a half now. Here are some things I've learned:

Communicate! This is really important - if you and the players don't know what the other wants to do, it's really hard to manage your RP. Be respectful, clear, and professional when you communicate. Make sure everyone understands what you're saying and what you want, that you listen to the players, and that you're not unnecessarily making people feel bad.

The players' happiness is your happiness. This is a collaborative activity, so it's about more than what you want. Don't run the game for yourself. Run it so everyone, or at least everyone who's a good fit for the RP, has a good time.

Always have something to do for the players' characters. If you're having a moment of downtime, don't keep it like that; have something in the works. RPs die when players' characters don't have anything to do.

Be firm with your rules, but don't be mean. Say someone's using ((OOC parentheses)) in your IC thread, when you said you didn't want that. Your first "warning" should be a pointer like "hey Username, please remember to post your OOC in the OOC thread and not in ((parentheses)) IC." If they disregard that, then you should start getting strict.

Don't be afraid to kick out people who are breaking rules repeatedly, clearly poor fits for the game (e.g. writing two sentences when everyone else has two paragraphs, or ignoring the plot and seemingly writing for a different RP), or otherwise dampening the fun of everyone else.

Know what to do when people aren't posting. See who's waiting on who (it's actually pretty common for two players to think they're waiting for each other's replies), post frequently to make sure there's something characters can react to, and don't be afraid to PM people and ask what's going on. Sometimes, when people's motivation to post is waning, it's because they're confused about something or don't know what to do.

EDIT: removed the @ symbol so a real user wasn't tagged. Whoops.

Consistency: Never lose quality on any post you do for the roleplay. Always show the same effort, and never go over the top on one post, unless you have reason to do so in the roleplay.

Communication: Be direct, firm, and reasonable with your roleplayers. Treat everyone fairly and with respect.

Adapt: Adapt to the roleplay as it progresses, and don't expect the roleplay to end a certain way. The roleplay isn't a novel, it's a group effort.

Those are the three big ones for me, and what I rely on, whenever I GM. There can be other traits too, but I wouldn't say I'm a good GM, it's just those are the traits that typically reveal a good GM.

Easily it is the ability to do what is best for both the roleplay itself as well as for the players in it.

You don't want to suck as a GM and entirely unregulate the Roleplay

But you also don't want to be so strict in a RP just to live out your own fantasy of what you want it to be.

I'm aware this has been already said multiple times, but it can't hurt to add my two cents.

Overall, any GM - any interested in prolonging their roleplay to a point where it's memorable and enjoyable for all parties should be communicative. Whether it's simply having a friendly conversation in-between roleplay sessions, or getting to know the individuals you roleplay with. I'm sure like many other people on the site and roleplay in general, I've met some of my best friends through roleplay. And most were because of the bond the GM helped formulate between us all. Having an outgoing and approachable demeanor certainly, helps establish a relationship with your roleplayers

Try to ask questions, check on your roleplayers and see how they're enjoying their selves. Because imo, there's less of a tendency for roleplayers to quit the roleplay without saying a word knowing you're an individual who wants them to say, "I'm bored, mind if I take a break?" or "Let's do something different, roleplaying x and y all the time gets dull." I think roleplayers, knowing they have that sort of relationship with you will probably be a lot more forthcoming than others.

Several people have said "adapting," and I agree. Having a general idea of the plot you're going to roleplay and leaving room for alterations throughout the roleplay since your roleplayers might want to do something "different." There should always be room for change in a roleplay. I would honestly get bored very quickly if a GM laid out everything we were roleplaying on a table and told me "that's it." I'm sure you would too, but not too sure lol

Also what Quincunx Quincunx said about there always being something to do for the roleplayers. This is huge, imo! I've seen countless roleplays wither and die because everyone simply had nothing to do. Even recently, I was a part of a roleplay where there was literally nothing to do after the planned phases of the roleplay and everyone just... lost interest. So if you want your roleplay to last, I would highly, highly, highly recommend you abide by this.

Last edited:
Mmm, I'll turn this on its head and ask "what makes a good player?" instead. GMs, players - no difference really. Both need to be on point and have mutual goals, ideas, and a solid general concept of theme and atmosphere for an RP to work.

With that said, players and GMs alike:

- Get over yourself. This isn't about you / your character / your self-centered fantasy. This is about coming together and overcoming obstacles as a team. So be apart of the team.
- Don't wait for RP handouts / constant prompts. You joined a group to RP - so go fuggin' RP.
- Harsh one for the players: if you need to be spoon fed every scenario or action and aren't creative enough to strike up an IC convo with another player, that's neither your GM's fault nor problem. Take a look at yourself and ask gauge whether or not you're doing your best (or anything at all) to help promote RP and an overall welcoming atmosphere. 9/10 times you're sitting on your ass waiting for things to happen while bemoaning how there's no RP. Expecting one person, your GM, to be the sole source of entertainment for not just you, but a group of players, is egotistical bullshit. And impossible. Your GM is not your babysitter and you are not a child. Take some responsibility for your own enjoyment.
- Flip side: GMs, make sure you have a task prepared for the group every week. No, this doesn't have to be such a monumental thing that it will take players days and days to get through or figure out. That would be ridiculous. You are not solely responsible for your player's happiness, they do need to step up and help themselves. However, if you can't commit to coming up with a task every week, don't bother GMing (unless you happen to collect a really pro group that can entertain themselves. Related: that's not going to happen. Come up with tasks).
- If the RP is dying, be part of the solution, not the problem. Again, you signed up to RP, so do it.
-
Have standards and stick to them.
- Have vague story ideas and don't stick to them. Let people contribute, throw your plot totally off track here and there and take everything in a new and awesome direction. Again, this isn't about you, this is about overcoming obstacles as a team - as in together.

-PoA-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back